Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion

Old 23rd August 2006, 20:06   #1
einnim

Lightbulb songs disappear from ipod! (but physically still there???)

I use winamp to play songs at work from my ipod and winamp at home to transfer songs to my ipod. I usually don't get any problems but once in a while, all media names will disappear from my ipod! It's like it doesn't recognize the names or something. But when I view the ipod HD, it shows the same capacity (like 40% or whatever), so the media is still physically on the drive, it just doesn't show up. (Music>songs>all>all> (blank) | Videos > Movies > (blank)

Then at that point I usually reformat my ipod and re-import all the songs back into it, which can take about 1-2 hours.

Is there currently a patch in development to fix this?
einnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 20:49   #2
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I haven't had this, and it must be reproducable in some way that I could fix it. But instead of format, you can use the database cleanup tools (if all your files have ID3 tags), read http://www.joerobot.com/mlipodwiki/i...tle=IPod_Tools on "Cleanup part 3"

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 19:30   #3
Prowler7

I had this exact problem happen last night... plugged in my ipod, loaded up Winamp and it never detected my ipod. I disconnected my ipod and when I browsed the music I saw "Music>songs>all>all> (blank)"

Of course all the mp3 files were actually still on the device. However, since ml_ipod no longer detected my ipod I had to use another tool to recover all the songs. (unfortunately for me, some albums are duplicated and of course this other tool didn't read the disc tag).

It would be great if ml_ipod could detect an ipod with a borked database so I could use its recover songs feature to rebuild the database, in which case I'm guessing the disc tag would probably be read (and I doubt I would have ended up with the few duplicate albums).

Anyway, the short of it is that I'm thinking there is a bug in ml_ipod to cause this.

Another possible useful feature would be "refresh database from tags" (so I can get the disc tag without having to format then re-import all my music). Though this may not really be needed if ml_ipod can work with an ipod with a dead database.

Oh yeah, I'm using a 60GB ipod photo and never had trouble with ml_ipod until last night.
Prowler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 07:54   #4
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Actually I doubt that the problem was caused by ml_ipod. Somehow the iTunesDB on your iPod got lost, that may be because of a hardware failure or a problem when disconnecting from USB port or some Windows issue.

But the idea to recover an iPod that has a broken or nonexisting database is not too bad. I think that should be not to hard to implement...

Maybe you could file a feature request at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...28&atid=644707 ?

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 29th September 2006, 16:49   #5
Prowler7

I'm pretty sure this problem is something that happens upon connection since I was using my ipod a few minutes before connecting it to my PC (and then seeing that it never got detected by Winamp).

Anyway, I created a feature request. I'd even be happy to work on this feature if help is needed (though it's been a while since I last looked at the ml_ipod source).
Prowler7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 21:52   #6
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Cool, if you want to do it, you're very welcome.
Do you have a SourceForge account already, then I can give you developer status for the project.

Old 1st October 2006, 06:17   #7
Eleain

Send a message via AIM to Eleain
I've had this problem twice, with 1.41 and 1.43.

Both times, my ipod had just been recognized by ml_ipod, and then all the music files became completely inaccessible while it was still connected; all the playlists just disappeared from the menu. Of course, everything was still physically present on the harddrive.

It was somehow fixed the first time when I upgraded to 1.42. As soon as I plugged it in and loaded up winamp, everything was back exactly the way it was before.

The second time happened about an hour ago and even restoring the backup file I have didn't fix it. Everything is still there and the music continued playing even as the songs disappeared.

I know this problem's already been posted, but I figured it might help to have another detailed occurance if you're going to find a way to fix it.

I was considering formatting my ipod and then restoring the backup again, but I'm not sure if that would be a wise idea considering I don't have the actual files themselves backed up or even on my computer, just drive contents as a whole.
Eleain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 08:44   #8
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

That sounds as if some other application tried to access the iTunesDB on your iPod. Did you have iTunes or something else running? That can cause things like this.

But maybe you can recover your data, ml_ipod has some backup strategies:
Look on your iPod in the X:\iPod_control\iTunes folder. Probably there is no iTunesDB file (that's why it is not recognized). But if you have an iTunesDB.old, you should save that somewhere else and then rename it to X:\iPod_control\iTunes\iTunesDB. After disconnect and reconnect, your iPod should be present again.

There are two more backup files on your harddisk in the %TEMP% directory (simply type %TEMP% in Windows Explorer to go to that folder). There should be an iTunesDB and iTunesDB.old. These have been created during the last writing of the DB to the iPod. Save all these files first, and take the largest or newest of them and copy it to the iPod as X:\iPod_control\iTunes\iTunesDB. Now disconnect and reconnect. Hopefully you have all back...? As a last step, do a "Full database cleanup" in iPod Tools.

If all that does not help: Move the X:\iPod_control\Music folder to X:\Music (it must not be in the iPod_control any longer!), then do a format in Winamp, then move the Music folder back, then do a "Cleanup Part 3" in iPod Tools. Then all your songs should be back. Unfortunately, not the playlists

Old 1st October 2006, 20:32   #9
Eleain

Shortly after posting my first reply, I installed itunes (which I didn't have installed previously) and loaded a song onto my ipod so that winamp would recognize it (I didn't mention that last time).

After that, I did a full databse cleanup and it actually found all the files that were missing. The only problem is that now a good chunck, I'd say 10% to 11% of them are in their raw format with file names like .WJPT and _KXEP and appear as completely blank entries in the media library. The same goes when I look them up on my ipod; I have to find them by going into Music > Songs.

I tried a quick search in the Music folder on my ipod for a couple files using the aforementioned names and nothing came up, but I don't know if that's indicative of anything.

I also tried copying from the %TEMP% folder just in case, but obviously it didn't do anything since I'd already done the database cleanup prior. But ya never know!

Thanks for the help, by the way. I appreciate it.
Old 1st October 2006, 21:32   #10
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

The songs that show up in their raw format only are probably ones that have no embedded ID3 tags, I guess. Then ml_ipod has no chance to guess what the title or artist might be.

Old 2nd October 2006, 05:05   #11
Eleain

Not much I can do about that then?
Old 2nd October 2006, 08:17   #12
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

No, sorry. All the vital information is gone with the iTunesDB

Old 3rd October 2006, 05:50   #13
Eleain

Out of curiousity, how is it then, that the files existed as music files in the first place if they didn't have ID3 tags?

It seems like the file would have to be either not created with one or have it actively stripped for it to not be there.

Actually, what is an ID3 tag and what does it do?
Old 3rd October 2006, 06:14   #14
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

From http://www.id3.org/intro.html :
Digital audio files can contain, in addition to the audio track, related text and/or graphical information. The information you're probably familiar with take the form of Song title, Artist name, Album name, Year and Genre. This is the information displayed when you playback a digital audio file on your computer or portable device.

The process of including information other than sound into these digital audio files is commonly referred to as "tagging" in which you "tag" the audio file with additional information that describes the audio file. The original standard for tagging digital files was developed in 1996 by Eric Kemp and he coined the term ID3. At that time ID3 simply meant "IDentify an MP3".
[end of quoting]

If a file has no ID3 tags, Winamp tries to guess the artist/title from the filename. E.g. a file that is named "Robert Plant - Tall Cool One.mp3" will show Robert Plant as artist and Tall Cool One as title.
On the iPod, the naming is different, so there is no guessing possible. If there are no ID3 tags, we're out of luck.

Last edited by abu; 3rd October 2006 at 07:23.
Old 12th October 2007, 02:17   #15
gerecter

Hard disk space?

This could be iPod hard disk space broblem. WINAMP plugin always tries to make a backup DB file, so it requires a little more space than actual size of the songs. (usually, around 5~50MB)

The problem is: if there is not enough space to write a DB file or backup DB file, then it fails to create DB file, causing disappearing all the list of songs.

In that case, you should remove some songs physically (accessing actual MP3 "Music" folder, and delete some) to get enough iPod disk space for creating DB file and backup DB file. Then you can recover your iPod DB file with backup file. (the method mentioned by "abu")
gerecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 19:04   #16
zachthompson

I copied the file "itunes.old_mlpmp" onto my desktop. then renamed it to "itunes" and copied it back into the "E:\iPod_Control\iTunes" folder, replacing the current file, and Poof! Music has been returned. 2 minutes of work and it was back to normal. thanks abu.
zachthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 13:32   #17
zoidberg9

I also used the backup strategy and it works semi-well. First the music DO show up again, but every change made with winamp (delete or add music files) results the initial problem... Its very frustating. Of course with copying the backup itunesDB.old to \iPod_Control\iTunes\itunesDB the iPod gets reconnect to the files, but presently i will not be able to add new albums...
zoidberg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 15:07   #18
zoidberg9

Problem solved. I think the "full database cleanup" is necessary (I did not use it previously).
zoidberg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 21:20   #19
wrokradiodj

I'm having a problem similar to this too. I tried doing full database cleanup, but that didn't do anything. When I try to access my iPod, I always get this error

I however did remove everything in the TEMP folder (I didn't see any itunesdb file though), and I still get the error, and I can't do anything with my iPod. Any suggestions?
wrokradiodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 20:31   #20
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Is you HD full (PC, not ipod)?

Old 2nd April 2008, 06:17   #21
xcuse

i'm using the ipod plugin with a new ipod classic 80gb.

i copied some 14'000 songs to the ipod. everything went fine, not errors appeared. but when i disconnect the ipod there are no songs on it. the ipod reports some 700mb free space, so it's not a storage problem.
this happen two times...

when re-connecting the ipod to the pc, the plugin detects the device and will display the songs and playlists.

this is very strange....

an anybody give me some advice?
thank you.
xcuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 06:29   #22
xcuse

very strange...

i copied a few 100 songs to the re-formated ipod. the songs appeard in music, also in album etc.
then i created a smart-playlist and after that i had the same problem again, there was no music on the ipod anymore.

deleting the smart-playlist on the ipod did not solve the problem.
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:15   #23
xcuse

updateing the firmware to v1.1.1 does not help at all. now not even the music is displayed.. even without smart-playlist...
Old 4th April 2008, 08:26   #24
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I need some more information to gain some insight. Maybe a debugging archive helps, create it with
"RightClick on the iPod icon in the Media Library-->Help-->Create archive for bug report"
and upload it to http://stashbox.org for me... Thanks

Old 5th April 2008, 15:16   #25
xcuse

thanks for your reply.

i have done it, you will find the file here: http://stashbox.org/99260/iPod-N-2008-04-05-1612.zip

your help is highly appreciated.
Old 6th April 2008, 16:52   #26
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

That is one of the strangest archives I've ever seen A zero bytes debug log? I have no idea how that could happen. It seems to be really messed up.
One thing I can tell from the data: Your database has been erased. The only way to get back the tracks would be a full database cleanup. If that does not help, you'll have to reformat the iPod. Sorry, that's bad news, I know.

Old 6th April 2008, 17:10   #27
xcuse

@abu

thanks for your reply.

so tell me what to do exactly. i will reformat the ipod, then i will copy some files to the ipod using winamp and the plugin. after that, i will do another error-log.

ok?
Old 6th April 2008, 17:30   #28
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Yes, do that. Use the "Format" option in the ml_ipod prefs to do that.

What OS do you use, Vista? We had some problems with Vista before, which are had to hunt for me because I only have XP...

Last edited by abu; 6th April 2008 at 18:35.
Old 6th April 2008, 18:43   #29
xcuse

i will do it on a xp-system, then....
Old 7th April 2008, 16:27   #30
xcuse

no need to post new log-data...

installed winamp on a xp-system, installed the plugin, transfered the songs.... and everything is fine.

it rocks! thanks abu...
Old 10th August 2009, 07:00   #31
stevewest

Hey, I had this problem too.
I successfully use Winamp on three Ipods and then a friend brought hers around. I put four new songs on it and wammo, as soon as I disconnected from Winamp, no songs, no artists no playlists but the storage was still being used. Also, when I plugged it back in to Winamp the songs were visible again.
The solution -
Opened the ipod in ITunes (aaaargh I know!). All the songs were greyed out. Ticked the "handle ipod manually" box and they all reappeared in ITunes.
Ejected Ipod normally and sure enough, they were all back!
Tested the ipod in winamp and they disappeared again, so had to repeat the ITunes process.
stevewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 02:46   #32
dav1129

hi stevewest,
i encountered the same problem as decribed in this thread and in particular as you described.
i don't use my ipod much and still have I think, a 2G (20GB) iPod which I connected for the first time for ages to add a couple of tracks. It's still 92% empty can you believe that?

Anyhow does anyone know of an easy way is there any easier way to repair the database of tracks which I can 'see' in Winamp but no longer on the iPod itself.

Thanks
dav1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 16:23   #33
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Maybe a problem with the newer firmware?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=307452

Old 16th December 2010, 16:12   #34
spaids

I have this problem and this is how I fix it. When Winamp is able to access all the songs on my ipod but the ipod by its self thinks is blank, I go to preferences, portables, advanced and then tell it to scan my device for gapless play back. After the scan my itunesdb seems to be repaired. I hope this trick really works and I'm not just lucky.
spaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 20:29   #35
meb312

I tried this as well,it and it worked for me! Not sure exactly what it does, but it appeared to resolve the issue. Thanks!
meb312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 21:01   #36
Froskur

Hi
I am having the same problems as well. I can syncronise, but when i disconnect ipod from comp its not visible. However I can play music from ipod through winamp. I tried scanning as Spaids suggested but it doesnt help.
I havent used my ipod or winamp for ages, and it wasnt me who installed the plugin back then either... so Im clueless.
Froskur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 15:17   #37
ROE777

Smile should solve it

go into task manager after u shut down winamp and itunes and end process of all winamp and apple files then open up itunes again fixed that issue for me.
ROE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 19:52   #38
yahoointhecorner

I'm having the same issue, when I try adding songs to my iPod from Winamp it transfers them and they are visible in the Winamp window, however when I eject and check the iPod I can't find them anywhere (when I check the Setting>About in the iPod the space used appears under 'Other' and not 'Music'. It was working fine the other day, and I don't have any Apple software installed in my computer anymore (as everything was working fine with Winamp I uninstalled iTunes and removed it's files) when I plug the iPod back in everything appears as it should on Winamp (and they also appear when I go through Computer>iPod [F:]> )but again not accessible on the iPod itself. Any help would be great, I tried the fixes above and none seemed to work (although I could not find how to go about scanning for gapless playback as Winamp did not have a portables sub-menu under preferences)
yahoointhecorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:17   #39
Radioswim

Hi fellas,
I was having the same problem with my iPod that everyone was describing, where I would update (sync) my iPod with my updated music library. Disconnected from winamp and would go to listen to some music WITH my iPod only to discover, there are "no artists".
Sure enough, the data is physically there, shown by the only 50 GB or 160 are free...
Puzzles, I began reading, I stumbled upon this forum and thread, reading up and down trying to figure out WHY.
I discovered something very interesting that I hope will help all of you, but It may seem strange. I tried plugging my iPod in to do some trouble shooting one day and with much disapointment, I accomplished nothing, until out of pure frustration I unplugged my iPod abruptly, without using winamp or windows 'eject' feature. BINGO, files are back... I can now browse all music files, and sure enough they all play, nothing corrupted, all syncd files are there. PERFECT. I was then curious...
I pluged my iPod back into the computer, then using the 'eject' feature (first with winamp, then windows system tray) recreated the same discrepancy, to a T. My solution... as dumb as it sounds. Don't 'eject' my iPod ever. I just yank the baby out. There is clearly something wrong with the 'eject' function, and it messes with the file system, as EVERY time I use the eject feature (not only are the files not visible), when I go to plug the iPod back in windows suggests that I run check disk to find errors on the storage device, I just cancel and open winamp, then rip the sucker out before I 'eject' I think when you open your iPod up into Winamp it seems to fix itself and works just fine (ive tested my theory several times)
I hope this helps atleast 1 person, Thanks guys
Radioswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 08:46   #40
qqbear88

I faced this same issue. I came across a fix on a yamipod forum, which seems to work for this issue as well.

Open My Computer
Go to Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.
Double click on your iPod drive in My Computer.
You should see a folder iPod_Control".
Enter the folder and you should see another folder named iTunes.

Please backup the files in this folder before you change anything, I will not be liable for any loss of data!

There should be a file named iTunesDB and iTunesDB.dop.backup. Replace iTunesDB with iTunesDB.dop.backup.

Eject and turn on your iPod. Your songs should be there!

Credits: http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/...d=1617&forum=2
qqbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion