Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion

Old 21st November 2007, 12:31   #41
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Hm, seems it only handles plain old ftp, not sftp? The phone only has sftp (for good reasons).

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 12:48   #42
frauhottelmann

Yeah, I found out. But this is something http://www.jscape.com/reddrive/
Looks like it's free and does the stuff!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
frauhottelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 22:20   #43
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

3.02p02 should do cover art, with sftpdrive. Alpha test version!

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 22nd November 2007, 01:51   #44
eddan

Regarding Red Drive:

I couldn't get it to mount as a drive letter, and I couldn't get it to start at the right remote directory. Now, those are stuff ml_ipod could work around, but it will have to access this weird drive "Red Drive" in My Computer and then another folder inside there which is the address to the server (in my case, 192.168.0.145). In other words, ml_ipod would somehow have to access:

My Computer\Red Drive\192.168.0.145:/Media/iTunes_Control

With the ip changing from setup to setup, this might prove difficult. But, Red Drive is free and that's a good thing, but it's still not a permanent, long-term solution imo.

My 45 day trail period with SftpDrive will hopefully not be over when abu finds a proper solution

Edit: Syncing album art is working like a charm here, abu. Thanks!
eddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:16   #45
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by eddan
I couldn't get it to mount as a drive letter, and I couldn't get it to start at the right remote directory. Now, those are stuff ml_ipod could work around, but it will have to access this weird drive "Red Drive" in My Computer and then another folder inside there which is the address to the server (in my case, 192.168.0.145). In other words, ml_ipod would somehow have to access:

My Computer\Red Drive\192.168.0.145:/Media/iTunes_Control
Would be very difficult to change. Maybe you could assign a drive letter with the "subst" command?

Old 22nd November 2007, 10:57   #46
eddan

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Would be very difficult to change. Maybe you could assign a drive letter with the "subst" command?
Would probably work, but I won't bother until my SftpDrive 45 day trial period is nearing it's end
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:50   #47
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I had very very low transfer rates with SftpDrive, around 200 KB/sec. On my 5G iPod, it was above 4000 KB/sec, 20 times more. What transfer rates do you get?

Old 22nd November 2007, 14:14   #48
eddan

Got 450 KB/sec when I synced a couple of songs right now. Not horrible imo, considering we're on wifi and not usb...
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:17   #49
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Ok, I had my notebook on wifi, too, so that may cut the rate to half? Communication to the router, and then back to the iPhone...

Old 22nd November 2007, 15:28   #50
eddan

I've got both on wifi too, it's the faster 802.11g wifi standard, though. Maybe that's why.

I actually just got an average of about 600 KB/s now, forgot I had quite a few torrents open when I synced earlier. Peaked at around 632 KB/s. A typical speed for 802.11g is 2300 KB/s according to wikipedia, so something is definitely slowing things down. Could be every link in the chain, maybe not something to focus on right now.

An USB sync would be best in general, but having the ability to also sync through wifi is always a nice option.

Btw, we made it to Engadget.com if you didn't notice:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/21/h...without-itunes
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:59   #51
jrsp

Something else to consider?

Have you considered using Samba to mount the device?

http://signalblue.com/iphone/

No idea on performance, etc. and I've not tried it myself (yet), but...
jrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 16:11   #52
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Very interesting. Didn't know that there is samba available for the iPhone.

One problem all solutions have in common: You need to disable auto-lock manually.

I would like to have a way to disable autolock while syncing, without user interaction. Maybe we just need to stop a certain app on the phone (kill -STOP...), but I don't know. I asked that on the iPhone dev forum, no answer. So if anybody could help out here? maybe if you are active in the freenode channels, ask there...

I would love to use iphonefs^, but that doesn't seem to work yet. Alpha software.

Old 22nd November 2007, 19:52   #53
frauhottelmann

The subst command doesn't work with Red Drive, I tried!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
Old 23rd November 2007, 04:11   #54
benderecs

Exclamation Help with Ipod Classic

I tried to sync my iPod classic 80 gb with ml_ipod 3.02, created a few playlist and everything went right until I removed it, iPod told me that there ware no songs or videos, that happened to me before trying to use gtkpod so I was about to restore when I decided to try to find help, in the wiki said that if I used 3.02 and had that problem I should press shift+spacebar until the ipod model selector appears so I can select the right ipod model (altought the firt time I was asked I DID select the right model Ipod classic 6G!!!) but nothing happens... it just says it's parsing ipod database and then I can see all the content in winamp but the problem doesn't solve, I tried installing patch 3.02p02 but still nothing.... Now I can't even create new playlists.... what can I do before restoring once at all and resigne to use iTunes.... I've always used the ml_ipod plugin with 3 ipods before this one and I want to keep using it... so what can solve my problem?
benderecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:46   #55
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Maybe an archive helps, create it with
"iPod icon->Help->Create archive for bug report"
and upload it to http://stashbox.org for me... Thanks

Old 23rd November 2007, 10:41   #56
jrsp

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Very interesting. Didn't know that there is samba available for the iPhone.

One problem all solutions have in common: You need to disable auto-lock manually.

I would like to have a way to disable autolock while syncing, without user interaction. Maybe we just need to stop a certain app on the phone (kill -STOP...), but I don't know. I asked that on the iPhone dev forum, no answer. So if anybody could help out here? maybe if you are active in the freenode channels, ask there...
Using the terminal client I can use ps -A and find the lockd process. I can also use kill -9 <pid> to kill it. Isn't that what you were looking for?

You could, in fact, create a tiny daemon that just looks for the presence of a key file somewhere in the filesystem. When found, determine the pid of lockd and kill it, then remove the key file that triggered the action. You could even have another, different, key file that could be used to restart lockd when syncing was completed.
jrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:57   #57
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

I have no idea whether lockd is actually for auto-lock. Do you know that for sure, or is it just a guess?

And is it possible to create an iPhone app on a PC? I don't know. Do you have any information on that?

Old 23rd November 2007, 20:20   #58
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Re: Help with Ipod Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by benderecs
I tried to sync my iPod classic 80 gb with ml_ipod 3.02, created a few playlist and everything went right until I removed it, iPod told me that there ware no songs or videos, that happened to me before trying to use gtkpod so I was about to restore when I decided to try to find help, in the wiki said that if I used 3.02 and had that problem I should press shift+spacebar until the ipod model selector appears so I can select the right ipod model (altought the firt time I was asked I DID select the right model Ipod classic 6G!!!) but nothing happens... it just says it's parsing ipod database and then I can see all the content in winamp but the problem doesn't solve, I tried installing patch 3.02p02 but still nothing.... Now I can't even create new playlists.... what can I do before restoring once at all and resigne to use iTunes.... I've always used the ml_ipod plugin with 3 ipods before this one and I want to keep using it... so what can solve my problem?
Thanks for the archive. It says:
trying to get FWID...
can't open device XML, no fwid
GetFWID() failed

which means that the "CreateFile(fn, GENERIC_WRITE|GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE, 0, OPEN_EXISTING, 0, 0);" call failed at startup. Maybe Bruce can have a look at tat, it's his code.
Basically it means that your iPod drive G: refused to give the information that is needed to write the database in the format that your iPod needs.
There are ways to get the needed FWID from the registry. Do you know how to handle regedit?

Old 23rd November 2007, 22:58   #59
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Okay, benderecs: Which Windows version? That's important in this case.

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 23:12   #60
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

it was XP, according to the logs...

Old 24th November 2007, 23:28   #61
benderecs

abu: Yes I think I can handle regedit, I've edited and deleted some entries to fix other problems in my computer succesfully... so what I'm supposed to modify in the registry? Is this going to finally fix the problem? I just restored my iPod (which took all day downloading the restore file and uploading my music and videos again) so it would be a pain to have to restore it again)... But im trying anything to quit iTunes!!!

fatcerberus1: as abu said I'm using win XP SP2...
Old 25th November 2007, 03:46   #62
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Hmm. Nothing seems unusual about the archive except this that the modelNumStr in SysInfo (MB145) doesn't match the one in ml_iPod.ini (MXX01), but I doubt very much that's what's causing fwid retrieval to fail.

I already had to change the fwid retrieval code (specially the CreateFile call that abu mentioned) once because it failed if any files were open on the iPod... this may be similar. I'll have a look at the code tomorrow.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 26th November 2007, 00:57   #63
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Sorry I haven't gotten to look at it yet; I just upgraded from Visual Studio 2005 to 2008 and somehow it messed up my VC6 install. So I can't compile anything right now.

I'll let you know when I get around to it.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 27th November 2007, 23:52   #64
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

I'm not sure if I fixed the problem or not, since unfortunately I can't reproduce it on any of my systems , but I did change something that could have potentially caused it...

abu, time for another patch. The "maybe-fix" is in CVS.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 28th November 2007, 01:38   #65
benderecs

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcerberus1
I'm not sure if I fixed the problem or not, since unfortunately I can't reproduce it on any of my systems , but I did change something that could have potentially caused it...

abu, time for another patch. The "maybe-fix" is in CVS.
Are you talking about my problem.... maybe I could test it to see if it works.... Abu also mentioned that there are ways to fix it form the registry

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
There are ways to get the needed FWID from the registry. Do you know how to handle regedit?
which are those ways?
Old 28th November 2007, 02:25   #66
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

The registry thing wouldn't really be a fix, just a workaround. The bug would still be there.

Anyway, here's a patched ml_iPod DLL. Unzip it and put it into \Program Files\Winamp\Plugins (when Winamp isn't running) and see if that fixes it:

http://www.stashbox.org/54669/ml_ipod.zip

Windows 7 Beta
Old 29th November 2007, 15:52   #67
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

If that patch doesn't help, here is the registry magic:
* Disconnect iPod, close Winamp
* Open regedit and locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Disk\Enum folder.
There will be some entries there with numbers as names, one for each disk you have. So there will be only a '0' entry if you have only one HD. Now attach iPod and press F5 in regedit to update the view. A new entry should show up, which has a value like "USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Apple&Prod_iPod&Rev_1.62\000A270018E5ED40&0"

In this string the 16 chars after the Revision number and the backslash are the important FWID: 000A270018E5ED40

Now open \iPod_Control\iTunes\ml_ipod.ini on your iPod in a text editor. Locate the line "fwid=" and add the string. The line should be something like
fwid=000A270018E6ED40
now. Save the file, exit text editor, start Winamp. Transfer some songs, eject.

Old 30th November 2007, 16:33   #68
KhaosWolf666

My problem has been fixed using the fatcerberus1's patch.
The DB has been restored and my songs appear again.
KhaosWolf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 15:28   #69
benderecs

Talking Solved!

fatcerberus1's patch didn't work for me... maybe there's something wrong with my computer that doesn't let it work properly... abu's registry trick did it! No more iTunes! Thanks
Old 1st December 2007, 22:03   #70
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Maybe we should add that trick to the Wiki somewhere, as a last resort (on an extra page, maybe. Linked to by the FAQ)?

Old 2nd December 2007, 10:49   #71
frauhottelmann

Shouldn't that be under hidden settings too?
I can add it if you want!

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
Old 2nd December 2007, 11:23   #72
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Yes that would be cool

Old 2nd December 2007, 17:25   #73
frauhottelmann

I added it in the FAQ http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/F..._.220_songs.22 ,in the Hidden Settings http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/Hidden_settings and made an article Fwid http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/wiki/Fwid

ml_Ipod-Wiki
iPod Classic Black 80GB
-
Samsung Galaxy S
Old 2nd December 2007, 18:40   #74
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Thanks!

Old 4th December 2007, 07:52   #75
glop

hey abu

did you see that

iPod copy
http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/
(shareware ) but you can maybe inspire ...)
glop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 16:34   #76
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Ok, I just added a new Wiki page on the current status of iPhone and iPod touch support. Read it, and edit it. An excerpt:

Status
Bleeding edge software is 3.02p06.
Working
* Recognizing iPhone after pressing a hotkey
* Reading iPhone database
* Transfer songs or playlists to iPhone
* Creating/rearranging playlists on iPhone
* Album art, cover flow
* Sync ratings and playcounts to iPhone
NOT working yet
* Sync ratings and playcounts from iPhone
* Correct deletion of tracks (a 1 byte file is always left)
* Automatically recognizing iPhone after attaching it
* Reusing album art from iTunes
* Photo upload (probably won't be done)
* Showing the "Sync in progress" screen on the iPhone
* Telling the iPhone to re-read the updated database. After ejecting, you must switch the iPhone off and back on (not only standby, really off!) to show the new tracks in the iPod application
* Free space calculations

@glop: Thanks, but that does not work with ml_ipod

Old 18th December 2007, 20:31   #77
GrimSage

I thought that this might help just google
iphonelist
it is part of google code
http://code.google.com/p/iphonelist/

It is able to access the drive of at least the jailbroken ipod touch.
GrimSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 08:39   #78
Yawg81

As this topic is also about the iPod classic range I'm going to pose a question about my 160GB version I received yesterday.

I've installed: mlIpod v3.02p15 on official Winamp v5.5 version with latest iPod firmware 1.0.3

Everything seems to be working just fine. Syncing, videos, all the music,all looks fine BUT there is something fishy with the Photo Upload support.

I've got 250 pictures uploaded, 2 folders. He perfectly shows the folders and all the thumbs BUT when I click on a thumb he only shows me an empty grey screen.

Have I overlooked something or is this a bug? Anyone else having the same issue?

Kind regards,
Frederik

PS: apparently someone else reported the same problem in this thread
Yawg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2007, 21:05   #79
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Seems to be a real bug with the 1.0.3 FW. Please add this to the bug tracker at SF, to insure that it gets tracked.

Thanks.

Old 29th December 2007, 20:12   #80
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Could anybody with a iTouch please try 3.02p16. See here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....54#post2288854

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion