Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Old 14th September 2015, 06:28   #1
demannu

If Milkdrop 3 was under development... (futuristic scenario)

Futuristic Scenario: Milkdrop 3 (Open Source) to start development in 2016.
  • What hardware, software, rendering features and/or capabilities would you want the new version to include?
  • How would you use a new version of Milkdrop in your personal or professional livelihood?
  • In what way would you most likely want to involve yourself in the development of a new version? Would you want to become a beta-tester or Preset Author?

Last edited by demannu; 14th September 2015 at 06:31. Reason: Added a bullet
demannu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 12:11   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

As a skinner & designer my field of knowledge here is pretty narrow, but I always liked it a lot so here's my penny:

01 I would love to see a Z axis implemented (I don't understand a thing about presets but I've been told that's what mainly necessary to get "3D presets", like the one suggested here).
02 As usual (for me, on my PC), but I'm always looking foward to implement it on my living room to play it on the TV so I get a cool disco-like colors on the room without much effort XD
03 I would become a beta tester at most, and obviously if there is a need for some graphic design / promo, I'm the guy..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:06   #3
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have bookmarked this thread, and I will keep my eyes open.

This year new TVs have come out with Ultra-HD, 3840x2160 pixel. This means, my Winamp-Milkdrop-Videos in 1920x1080 pixel on YouTube are already "Old Snow From Yesterday" (a German phrase). Otherwise bigger images could be allowed, 4096x4096 pixel and 8192x8192 pixel. I don't know, if the pixel sizes are related to the Milkdrop Version or not.

I would be interested, if in Milkdrop 3 also GIF will be supported as image-file-format, with and without GIF-Animations. In Milkdrop 2 as supported file-formats for textures JPG, PNG, DDS, TGA are listed. For BMP and DIB I have read something with "puke", and BMP is heavy to load also in Windows Explorer.

For me it would be very important, that presets can be renamed, re-rated, edited and saved without problems. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have shown me my limits for Milkdrop 2, and I have no Windows XP anymore. For Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10 I suppose the same. Maybe in Milkdrop 3 these problems will disappear.

Hopefully Milkdrop 3 can handle also with very much presets & textures. I am thinking about the maximum limits of 100000 presets & 10000 textures, although I think, maybe 3000 textures will be enough for me.

Before leaving the school, I have written a Five in Maths, which was very bad, so that I myself would be very bad as a software developer. I myself never would be a good plugin author, skin author or preset author.

But I believe, that there are some professional forums members incl. very good developers of Milkdrop 3, and maybe Milkdrop 3 will come out some day. For now, I am very satisfied with Milkdrop 2.25c, and I have customized the Milkdrop folder in my Winamp, especially with very much new random textures. Currently I have over 2100 textures there.

I wish You all good luck and a good future for Winamp 6 and Milkdrop 3...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 17:17   #4
Jack Kramer

I am professional lighting designer and milkdrop combined with audio input can already be useful tool, but currently when it is as far as I know impossible to preload presets to be used as cues for songs.. well little unsuitable for anything else than disco at the moment.

If milkdrop 3 would be under developement then definedly one feature i would definedly want to have in it is ability to playback presets as cues.

just like the plugin is now, just a way to to launch a specific preset via midi or dmx or something...

second thing i definedly would want it to have is virtual intensity master, controllable by midi.

so in short.. developing milkdrop to be little more professional tool-like.. i guess?

.. yeah im cheap for not wanting to spend minium of 5k to buy a proper mediaserver, which wont do exacly what i want either, but is atleast controllable.
Jack Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:15   #5
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am back now...

Someone else told me once, there would be no limit for presets. I just want to be sure, that in the future the "Load"-Menue will be able to handle also with 100000 and more presets and that the visualizer itself can handle with 10000 and more textures. Also the harddrive should have enough capacity, so much, so that the user never will reach the 100%, if very much files will come onto the harddrive over the years.

"3D presets" and "3D effects" would be another very good feature, and maybe very new presets will come some day.

Yesterday I saw in the TV-journal a movie trailer together with discissions. The institute in Berlin-Adlershof had participated in the works for the movie. The Mars Animations are very impressive. I have searched for the movie "Der Marsianer" and found one on YouTube by 20th Century Fox, The Martian | Teaser Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX, but this trailer has also very much other scenes, not only the "Flight Animations over the Planet Mars". I wanted to post this video here, but now I say, search for this movie and watch it directly on YouTube. Maybe You will get some inspirations, and if yes, then You can search also for terragen animations and apophysis animations...

Old 10th November 2015, 07:26   #6
Prenso

• Less input lag for sprites would be amazing. More text capabilities like shrink and grow. High sprite and text limit; Maybe even the possibility to swap out the milk3_img.ini and milk3_msg.ini on the fly.

• I'd just play/stream milkdrop and the sprites in hopes that people will see the potential i see for a psychedelic musical adventure game with a really touching story.

• I could be a beta tester or 'mix' community presets into a sprite friendly version. A good sprite on a blank preset with shaders applied looks pretty cool.
Prenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 16:30   #7
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Good Sprites are also very important, if a preset uses random textures, and if videoalpha.jpg or videoalpha2.jpg is picked, and it can happen also with nearly 2300 textures in the textures folder. Both textures are unicolor and very dark, the second one is totally black. It looks, as if the preset itself would be totally blank.

I am glad about my choosen sprites with semi-transparent images, which rotate in the foreground. I take care, that the image has enough semi-transparency, if I want to use it for the neverending rotation. I prefer the Artist Logo Profile Pictures and the Album Covers for Sprites. For random textures I prefer Nature & Landscapes without humans, but also very good Digital Artwork, made with Bryce, Terragen, Apophysis, Mandelbulber etc. Some images look also fine, if cuts of them are mirrored to all 4 corners and to all 4 sides (IrfanView is good).

The website Ustream uses Video Live Broadcasts, and I found also a software for streaming, what does happen live on the desktop, similar the the screenrecorders. Oh yes, I have imagined already the prefect live performances with Winamp & Milkdrop.

I have already posted the previous version of my .txt-file in the other thread, which is in German...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=382556
I want to leave the extended version now...

Edit:
I want to leave also my operating instructions for textures. I hope, they are already good, if not, then I can edit the content in my .txt-file. The administrators and moderators can use experpts of this content for a new thread just about required and random textures, and also the artists should take a look, because also they themselves can create random textures...
Attached Files
File Type: txt sprites_and_custom_messages_extended.txt (36.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: txt No_Blank_Spaces_In_Textures-File-Names.txt (8.5 KB, 131 views)

Old 24th March 2016, 09:54   #8
zerowaitstate

Gday there also a user of milkdrop for over a decade and a half in the lighting / graphics ... totally get what your talking about in a sense you can achieve this with some clever folder management and file naming.

In VJ mode you have a console that allows you to navigate folders and select specific pre-sets. (in the config you can set the font sizes etc so its a bit more friendly to read )

Set the presets mode to sequential

Naming presets in an alpha or numerical order will allow you to step through presets in a predicatble way.

then you can step backwards and forwards through the desired library of effects, emails me direct if you want more details NOSPAMzerowaitstate@iinet.net.auNOSPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kramer View Post
I am professional lighting designer and milkdrop combined with audio input can already be useful tool, but currently when it is as far as I know impossible to preload presets to be used as cues for songs.. well little unsuitable for anything else than disco at the moment.

If milkdrop 3 would be under developement then definedly one feature i would definedly want to have in it is ability to playback presets as cues.

just like the plugin is now, just a way to to launch a specific preset via midi or dmx or something...

second thing i definedly would want it to have is virtual intensity master, controllable by midi.

so in short.. developing milkdrop to be little more professional tool-like.. i guess?

.. yeah im cheap for not wanting to spend minium of 5k to buy a proper mediaserver, which wont do exacly what i want either, but is atleast controllable.
zerowaitstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 10:48   #9
zerowaitstate

I have been in the production industry for over two decades and have seen MD progress over that time. The pre-set authors are the real heroes. If there was a mechanism to donate or commission pre-sets i would do so.

Time and time again i come back to MD as a source of dynamic / reactive vision that is integrated in to lighting and AV shows....... some of these .mlk files look a million dollars on big Scale via projectors or LED walls ETC and Fing incredible when viewed through dielectric filters (laser / fireworks glasses)

but MD is a pig to work with

Having to hand edit sprite and text config files is a nightmare(and where the real power of MD lies)

wish list for any future app

the single most sought feature i would die for is the have MD output list in my VJ apps natively Resolume / ARKAOS / Madrix ETC

the ability to treat a pre-set as a cue

GUI for text and sprite sheets (this was kind of addressed in morphyre pro)

- allow video media + key

- specify media location
- specify in
- specify effect
- specify out

each of above with drop down library of motion or fade / blend/ ETC

The ability to listen to midi / ocs / dmx (basic value 0-255) input into particular pre-set field.

Use midi or DMX to control pre-set values live - OMG !!! this would allow you to play a pre-set like an instrument it would would be so orgasmicly cool

BPM (Beats Per Minute) variable in presets - Two parts
TAP TAP TAP key to establish BPM
trigger event off BPB 1-2-3 BAM /1-2-3-BAM (graphic effect / colour change / shader change what ever

i have made amazing visuals mashing pre-sets live and bouncing through shaders / wave forms ETC

- The ability to reverse the visual (surely we can dump this stuff into a buffer) bouncing stuff back and forwards to the beat can be ultra effective we only really need a 15 second window even less (treating this as a BPM thing all sorts of effects can be had loop ETC)

- support 3 D space
- Support VR
- proper audio spectrum input not just bass treb high (able to tie effect to specific frequency / frequency range

Last edited by zerowaitstate; 24th March 2016 at 10:59. Reason: ad stuff / clarigfication
Old 24th March 2016, 18:51   #10
Nitorami
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nitorami
Quote:
BPM (Beats Per Minute) variable in presets - Two parts
TAP TAP TAP key to establish BPM
trigger event off BPB 1-2-3 BAM /1-2-3-BAM (graphic effect / colour change / shader change what ever
If the beat rate is known within certain bounds, it is quite possible to autodetect it and sometimes also the underlying measure (1-2-3- BAM). Say if a DJ plays music at a constant BPM rate within 140...160 BPM for instance, and the preset is adjusted to that, precise beat detection can be done quite reliably. I tried a number of schemes in some of my presets; the main problem is usually that they have to work with all sorts of music so I cannot tune them to 140-160 BPM. The algorithm therefore needs to cope with anything in the range say 40...200 BPM, and will easily trigger on 1/2, 2/3, 2/1 or 4/1 of the beat, or jump between these.

Quote:
- proper audio spectrum input not just bass treb high (able to tie effect to specific frequency / frequency range
This is actually possible since the introduction of ns-eel language extension, the raw audio data and spectrum can be obtained from the waves section with high reasonably high resolution.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 15:59   #11
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Now I want to come back here. My .txt-files from Post #7 are a little bit outdated now. I had worked on my instructions, edited them a little bit, also I had added 6 new sprites. I want to mention my sprites.

I was busy again. Yesterday I made new preset edits via the right-click on the icon, this time also with presets by Flexi. And late in the evening I had to update My List Of Skins And Presets, after I was ready and closed Winamp. Many presets in my list are experimental presets, and many of them are unedited, they are good for the frequency in my own private performance.

"planetmap" is just another idea. If the images really show the map of a planet and if they have the exact proportions of 18:9, then these are the right textures for a few presets, which work exactly with that. You will be suprised, if You do the Google Image Search for "planet map" and "planetmap". "planetmapsolarsystem...", "planetmapfantasy...", then the name of the planet or a number, beginning with 0001. I have many ideas for new presets, which access from the maps (also randomly from the subsets). But maybe also very new presets will come out in the future, which are independent from textures and show new strange worlds. We have some similar presets already. And in Post #5 I have mentioned the Terragen Animations and Apophysis Animations. Also one of the new Space Night Videos in one of my YouTube-Playlists is very impressive and maybe good for new inspirations...

Currently I have 9304 presets in the presets folder and 3284 textures in the textures folder, and I use 430 desktop wallpapers, also I have 2609 skins in the skins folder. On my PC my Winamp folder has now 1.78 GB (on my notebook 1.77 GB). I had thought, Komodo Vanguard & Komodo Touchscreen would be cPro Skins, and they come below from cPro - KAO. I can choose one of the skins. And for the random textures I have made a wide spectrum of images, which show especially nature & landscapes, and I cannot get bored...

Maybe I should mention again, that I am Sabine Klare and not Sabine Klane. In July 2013 in the service shop they had named my PC wrongly...
Attached Files
File Type: zip documentations_by_sabineklare_2016-05-05.zip (240.9 KB, 108 views)

Old 13th August 2017, 07:10   #12
zerowaitstate

you can run MD in VJ mode, and via this set the preset directory, by naming you presets in numerical you can have them run in a predefined order, stop auto advance ETC there is also a load function where you can scroll down list to desired preset and launch by hitting enter

big news for me recently is the addition of SPOUT mod of the MD dll which allows MD content to be sucked directly in to ARKAOS RESOLUME Modula8 etc in a PC environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kramer View Post

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Tags
2016, competition, md3, milkdrop 3