Old 13th January 2014, 12:44   #1
ChiggyChiggy

Winamp AutoTag Crash/Fail

Recently i wanted to Autotag my music collection using Winamps AutoTag feature, so far however, it keeps crashing. Ive tried an older version (5.62) but even that failed on me >.< i keep getting this error:

Winamp client version: 5.66
winamp caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module CddbMusicIDWinamp.dll at 0023:0c31a550.

Exception handler called in Winamp.

This is the report Winamp keeps giving me to send. Ive tried so many times to get the tag feature to work but each time if i leave it open it just fails on me after i leave it open for about 15 minutes. Please, Winamp is my last hope of something fixing the mess that is my music library, i dont know what else i can do from here since manually editing 3K songs is anything but easy >_<

Ive tried making it tag just a few songs or several at once but the results are the same at the end and it will still crash.

Ive added the report Winamp gives me & my specs/system report using the Winamp system info tool that i found when searching the forum.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (35.5 KB, 347 views)
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_01-13-2014.txt (29.0 KB, 472 views)
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 13:11   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ChiggyChiggy,

There are several threads about the problems some users have with the Gracenote supported auto-tag feature. It works for some and doesn't for others. The fix would require a rewrite with different Gracenote provided library files (*.dll). The reported new owners of Winamp may take this on, but that remains to be seen.

I suggest you use a another free app with an auto-tag feature for tagging your music files, like Mp3Tag (link below). It supports a large variety of formats, not just mp3s.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 13:17   #3
ChiggyChiggy

So its a common issue? is there anything i can do to fix it? Ive tried Mp3Tag but the last time i checked it out it relies on info you put, and not from the web/gracenote, basically its a manual thing... isnt there any other way? Or atleast a way to fix the gracenote issue? i remember a few years back it worked and didnt have this but that was on a different computer.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:25   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

You could use the forum search feature to look-up and try what others have done, but what works for them still may not work for you.

Mp3Tag will auto-tag from internet-based databases, like Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz, and more. You need to read it's documentation on how to do this. You would still need to check the results (which is a manual process), since no auto-tagging is perfect.

Proper tagging is a time consuming process, but worth the effort. It let's Winamp's file management features really shine.

Old 13th January 2014, 13:51   #5
ChiggyChiggy

This is sad :/ The Llama isnt aging too well and the gracenote bug shows >.<

Could it be an issue because im using a 64 bit computer? Dont those logs give any kind of info as to why it does that... Would running Winamp in a 32bit virtual machine have any positive effect?

Was there an older version that had it working right? (say... as far back as using Winamp 2?)

Or is there a separate plugin from Winamps massive list of plugins that lets it use an alternate source to tag music? (WMP can autotag music using allmusic... but WMP autotags them only when it feels like it and you have no control over when or what it does)

Mp3Tag compared to Winamp's tagger is just a misery to use with all due respect.. I got an app that works similar to Mp3Tag for 50$ (RinseMyMusic) that somewhat gets most metadata right from gracenote but its buggy (requires itunes, and even so, it has a bug that makes most songs have the same coverart so you must manually fix that) and you must choose each result one by one too... Isnt there some way?
Old 13th January 2014, 14:14   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm sorry to hear you spent $50 on a tagger that doesn't work. I guess you can't return it.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have over 6K files in my collection. The Winamp auto-tag feature works for me. There are users with over 100K collections and the feature works for them. I think the issues some have have more to do with the files themselves than anything else.

Digital music can be encoded with structural errors that can disrupt things. There are free apps that can be used to check for and 'fix' certain errors. For mp3s I use MP3 Diags (link below).

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Whatever you do, it will take time to straighten out a messy collection. In your spare time, with patience, you will eventually get the job done.

Good luck.

Old 14th January 2014, 12:47   #7
DrO

there is nothing which can be done about the crash and it is independent of the OS being used. the only suggestion is not to use the feature and use something else which provides the same functionality.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 09:14   #8
bjornkoh

I also cannot use winamp just few days ago with the Gracenote supported auto tag hope that winamp don't take this away...
bjornkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 10:22   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkoh View Post
I also cannot use winamp just few days ago with the Gracenote supported auto tag hope that winamp don't take this away...
It will be several months (end of the year) before Winamp will be able to auto-tag. See thread linked below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377496

Old 21st May 2014, 03:27   #10
chuckjmoore1991

The auto tag feature would be better with AcoustID instead of MusicID by Gracenote. Not only are you retrieving better quality data, but also that opens the door for Winamp users to contribute to MusicBrainz by creating a profile that allows to ensure any submission added to MusicBrainz are accurate. I would suggest if MusicBrainz is added for Autotag that there is a setting for signing into your MusicBrainz profile so you can submit AcoustID's so the metadata is available to anyone else using the auto-tag feature.
chuckjmoore1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
autotag, crash, fail, tag, winamp