Old 17th March 2014, 09:51   #1
rsbuslon

Auto tag website?

Does anyone know what website does winamp uses for its auto tag feature?

Sometimes when I use it, the results are wrong, so I want to see if there's a website instead so I can choose among the results of a search.
rsbuslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 09:56   #2
DrO

it currently uses the Gracenote service for the feature in the AOL provided builds (but will be changing to a different service for Radionomy provided builds).

i don't believe what is provided back via the Gracenote SDK provides alternate tags for the file or a way to access the data via an alternate method.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 10:03   #3
rsbuslon

thanks for the immediate response you're awesome
rsbuslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:06   #4
OrajelJunkie

Winamp has auto tagged wrong???????
I'm sure you must be talking about songs you illegally downloaded that were already improperly labeled.
Winamp is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the best auto tagging program in the world.
Windows media player rips half of my cds completely WRONG(40% of the time there's just Unknown Artist).And about 10% of the tracks won't even work.
Winamp rips and correctly labels cds that local bands made in their basements.
Winamp is GOD
OrajelJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 08:20   #5
ChiggyChiggy

Were there any other plugins developed for Winamp that gave some form of similar tagging feature from alternate databases like say, FreeDB, MusicBrainz, AllMusic (IIRC thats where WMP gets its tags from)? Kinda similar perhaps to the one Winamp uses to access CDDB?

Oh and btw, another rather popular software for tagging music (TuneUp Media) uses gracenote/CDDB and it allows you to choose of what it find that are a match to your tracks, so the feature does exist, just... not in Winamp
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:18   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrajelJunkie View Post
Winamp has auto tagged wrong???????
I'm sure you must be talking about songs you illegally downloaded that were already improperly labeled.
many others and myself included (with legitimate files from a CD i owned) have seen incorrect auto tagging responses. as the system is only as good as what people put into it and then there's also the potential of collisions in any fingerprint based setup (however good it may be). so Winamp's existing Gracenote based system may work well for some, but not for many others depending on the file and what's in the system for it already.

and then in general i tend to find Gracenote's responses are often quite poor and inconsistent in formatting (especially with CD's) where i've seen it vary wildly on the same CD (which is most frustrating especially when comparing to the physical details on the CD case...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
Were there any other plugins developed for Winamp that gave some form of similar tagging feature from alternate databases like say, FreeDB, MusicBrainz, AllMusic (IIRC thats where WMP gets its tags from)? Kinda similar perhaps to the one Winamp uses to access CDDB?
not that i'm aware off, though we're likely to be changing to a MusicBrainz based setup instead of Gracenote (which i suspect some will not like, but not much can be done about that based on what Gracenote charge for access to their system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
Oh and btw, another rather popular software for tagging music (TuneUp Media) uses gracenote/CDDB and it allows you to choose of what it find that are a match to your tracks, so the feature does exist, just... not in Winamp
that would likely depend on the Gracenote SDK being used and how Winamp is processing the possibility of multiple returned values (without checking, i think it ends up assuming the first response is the most appropriate). though it's something i'm keeping in mind for the replacement implementation.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 02:04   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I would not say winamp is any better or any worse than other apps at auto-tagging. I will say that you can influence the results just by changing the tags/filename, etc.

the audio fingerprinting it does is pretty light. I think musicbrainz and some others are more indepth. here are some interesting links:

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Fingerprinting

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...fingerprinting

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 04:10   #8
chuckjmoore1991

I don't see too much of a need for autotagging. Everyone is using the cloud now a days for listening to music. Google Play Music has an autotag feature that is accessed through any browser. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to use MusicBrainz data, too. MusicBrainz is sometimes more consistent than online music stores, and the data you get from MusicBrainz may be better that what Google Play Music is suggesting.
chuckjmoore1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 04:24   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckjmoore1991 View Post
Everyone is using the cloud now a days for listening to music.
A great many are, but not everybody.

Tags are necessary for Winamp's great sorting and file management features. Many users have files they have downloaded with bad or missing metadata and don't want to fix things 1 by 1 manually.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 05:30   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
for anyone who rips cds and has a local collection, autotagging is a must.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
autotag