Old 14th February 2009, 11:21   #1
Spikehead777

Media keys control system and Winamp volume.

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm a gamer, and I play World of Warcraft as well as other games.

Here's my sitiation:

I have a multimedia keyboard that I use. It has play/pause, stop, next track, and previous track buttons, as well as a mute button, and volume control buttons. I like it, because I don't have to alt-tab out of any fullscreen games to change my current track.

My problem is the volume control buttons control both the system and Winamp's volume controls. The other playback control keys have no issues.

What I want to happen, is for the volume control keys to only control the system volume. Basically, volume control is disabled Winamp-side.

What I also want to happen on Winamp, is for the volume to still be adjustable, but not through the hotkeys, without disabling my playback control keys.

I have a sound card with a hardware equalizer on it, and if I set Winamp's volume up too high (past 60%), the sound starts becoming a little distorted.

My reasoning is that if I'm in a situation where I'm wearing headphones while playing a game, and if some kind of cutscene occurs but it's very quiet, it'd be nice to pause my music playback and turn up the volume if it's still low. I have to have my system very far down, at 10, so I don't kill my hearing (Those PSP headphones have power, man!). What sucks though is when you turn the volume up, and then back down, Winamp may end up being louder or quieter than before, so my sound may become too quiet or it'll be too loud and start becoming distorted. If I could disable my volume control buttons from affecting Winamp, that issue is solved.

What I have done, is I have tried disabling the "Enable default multimedia key support" under global hotkeys. My volume control keys works as intended after that but my playback control keys stop working. I have also tried disabling going into the DirectSound Output plug-in, and disabling the option to have Winamp control the volume, but that seems to lock it at max, regardless of what it's at. I have tried creating hotkeys for controlling playback, but when I try binding my media keys to the actions, nothing would happen. I found in another topic, to try setting the keycodes manually in %appdata%/winamp.ini. I couldn't find the keycodes for my specific model of keyboard. I tried a plug-in that was made for Logitech keyboards that allows you to bind the media keys, but I couldn't bind anything, much less the media keys. I get the feeling these media keys only return a WM_APPCOMMAND event and not a proper keycode. Some kind of check has to be going on because I looked further, and some program, kbd.exe, is handling my media key button presses and translating them.

So yeah. If there's a way to disable Winamp from checking the volume adjustment WM_APPCOMMAND events, that'll be cool.

My system's configuration:

System: HP Pavilion a6412p
CPU: Pentium E2180 Dual Core @ 2.00 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS w/ 256MB VRAM (self installed)
Sound Device: Realtek High Definition Audio
DirectX: 10

The keyboard that comes with my computer is model SK-2960, and looks like this: http://img3.pconline.com****/pconlin...26_HP_9879.jpg

Hopefully this issue can be resolved or Winamp gets an update to allow disabling of individual WM_APPCOMMAND events.
Spikehead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 17:26   #2
plentyofWAVs

Well, I don't know how to get the configuration you actually desire, but what I would do is putting some simple headphone preamp with a real analog volume poti between your soundcard and the headphones. This also has the benefit of immidiate reaction, while volume hotkeys tend to be either slow or not exact enough.
plentyofWAVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 05:48   #3
oppa

Re: Media keys control system and Winamp volume.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spikehead777
My problem is the volume control buttons control both the system and Winamp's volume controls. The other playback control keys have no issues.

What I want to happen, is for the volume control keys to only control the system volume. Basically, volume control is disabled Winamp-side.

What I also want to happen on Winamp, is for the volume to still be adjustable, but not through the hotkeys, without disabling my playback control keys.
Hiyo.

So didja ever find a resolution for this? I've been lookin' around like crazy, here and there, and can't figure it out. This was how it use to be in an older version... well, maybe kinda too old as it could have been v3.xx...

Anyway, the quote sums it up well but to put it even more simply:

-Set Winamp volume to X
-Raise volume with keyboard media volume key
-Windows volume goes up
-Winamp volume is still X

It seems so simple yet... apparently it's not.

Hopefully someone out there knows something (even if it's a "there's no way to do that" cuz, hell, at least that's a legit answer).
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 21:22   #4
DoanDiggy

I'm interested in this problem, too. When I press the volume up/down keys on my keyboard, I want it to ONLY change the system volume and not affect Winamp's volume at all. I'm currently using the DirectSound output plugin, and under Configure->Other, "Enable Volume Control" is unchecked. I'm also using Global Hotkeys, but the shortcuts for changing the volume in there are Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down. So why are my keyboard's volume media keys affecting Winamp at all? Is there anything I can change or any more info I can give to help me fix this problem?
DoanDiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:25   #5
drummerman109

found your answer (and mine!) here:
FIX
drummerman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support