Old 27th February 2011, 18:08   #1
xlordvader

M4A stream fails repeatedly

Hi,

I'm running Winamp 5.601 with the default skin and no other active plugins.

http://www.nocturnalradio.org/podcas...matt_darey.m4a

That's a stream for a radio show that i listen to. I would like to just stream it instead of downloading it and then playing it. I did check to see if it was a network issue, but I managed to get the stream working just fine on vlc. Even though VLC is awesome , its not as awesome as winamp. I believe this doesn't use the MPEG audio decoder , but I increased the buffer there to 1024kb from the default 64 anyways. The mp4 decoder didn't have any such settings.

That's not the only stream which doesn't seem to work.
http://www.nocturnalradio.org/podcast/nocturnal.xml
That's the feed for the radio show. As far as I recall, all the m4a links don't seem to work there.

So can someone please take a look at this "issue".

PS: It always seems to stop at around the 2 min mark or just past it.
Running windows 7 x64 sp1.
Winamp since 2000 !! A decade old fan

Also I was wondering if you guys are planning or working on a newer version of Winamp. Maybe with a UI upgrade and songs available to buy from a choice of stores or something.
xlordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:03   #2
xlordvader

Can somebody confirm this please .. :(

Hi I was just wondering if someone can at least confirm this issue.

I just want to make sure this is not an issue with my computer or internet connection somehow.
Old 16th August 2013, 00:19   #3
DrO

(i know this is an old thread but i've finally had a look...)

i'm not able to get it go past ~48seconds which in VLC seems to be when it switches from showing a cover image to not (and both players take a while to load the stream and then start playing it).

from what i can tell (without going down the rabbit whole of working through code), there's a number of streams in the file and is also likely that due to us possibly not progressively downloading the m4a file as well as we should be doing the connection effectively times out (as we download and try to play from a temp file from what i can tell to keep the library we use happy) which is why after ~48sec audio playback fails and the rest of the temp file is blank (duration varying by the file and network speed it seems).

downloading via the podcast subscription does play everything correctly and the part up to where it fails matches so that is at least something, but why it's failing to download the whole instance of the file to be able to play it (or download and play at the same time, i just don't know without working on code i'm not too hot on).

i'll add this to our internal bug tracker since we really should be able to play such files when accessed over HTTP without failing (since it's not a true stream, just a hosted audio file).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 04:33   #4
xlordvader

THanks

lol Saw your reply and had totally forgotten about this post.
Thanks for looking into and noting it down as a bug. It is quite strange indeed !
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
bug, crashes, m4a, stream