How to use search for nonstandard ID3v2 tag info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • koijmon
    • Jul 2011

How to use search for nonstandard ID3v2 tag info?

So the search bar seems to look at the tag info for artist, album, year, genre, album artist and who knows what else. I was wondering if it could search through other ID3v2 tags like producer or other categories that winamp doesn't write to when looking at the editing menu (ctrl-e) or the file info menu (alt-3). I guess I could make a smart view with a non zero entry in those tag categories but wouldn't that just give me a view with only those files? I was kind of hoping that the search behavior could be altered to just parse those attributes without the view being narrowed to only them. Anyone else have other ideas? The smart view editor can't define what tag categories to search in can it?
  • osmosis
    Major Dude
    • Jan 2006

By default Artist, Albumartist, Album, Title, Genre, Filepath, Composer and Publisher are searched. Category, Director and Producer (in ML Metadata editor) are not, Year, Disc # and Track # (ID3v1) are not, and Orig. Artist, Copyright, Encoded, BPM (ID3v2) are also not.

As it seems you know, most can be searched (but aren't by default) using an ML query from the Search bar (eg. type ?comment has "blah"). For the full list of variables which can be queried, select an ML smart view and press F2, click "Advanced mode >>" and check the Query Language Documentation displayed. That way you wouldn't have to narrow the view, just type a little more.
    Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.

Comment

• ryerman
      Major Dude
      • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by koijmon View Post
      The smart view editor can't define what tag categories to search in can it?
      Depends on what you mean by "tag categories".
      The Smart View Editor is a powerful search tool. There are over 35 information fields, including Producer, that can be evaluated in various ways.
      Be aware that some metadata is written only to Winamp's database but not to ID3 tags (like Producer, Director).
      Attached Files
      Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• koijmon
        • Jul 2011

Question answered

Awesome. I didn't know that you could define the search bar query with the ?comment has "blah" type expression. But that was what I was hoping for, short of redefining those default search categories.

Comment

• MrSinatra
          Forum King
          • Dec 2004

Did you find a bug in Winamp? Can you reproduce it? Let us know, we'll try to fix it as soon as possible!

i do think winamp should make all the metadata use its own frame. TIPL is used by some people for producer or director, but they could just make their own TXXX frames and i really don't see why they don't, since i think putting metadata into the ML only is dubious at best.
          PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
          --
          BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
          Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
          Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

Working...
          X