Old 9th November 2011, 01:11   #1
Bri1105

Cannot Save Metadata: Unspecified error

I was using Winamp5.61 and continuously received this message. I uninstalled it completely and now installed Winamp5.62 and am getting the same error again. Nothing I do seems to fix it. With one song in Winamp it gives me this message while trying to change any piece of information.

Nothing I seem to do works. HELP!
Bri1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 08:39   #2
DrO

are you doing this via the library or in the playlist editor?

have you made sure that the file is not set to be read-only?

not knowing what OS you're using, have you got access to change files (e.g. it's not in a UAC protected folder on Vista / Windows 7).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 03:39   #3
Bri1105

Metadata error

I'm running Windows 7, It was in my original post but got messed up when I deleted out things and started over. Sorry about that. And it shouldn't be a read only file since it's a music file. It's all mp3's and I like to tag them my way before putting them on my ipod so I can keep them separately. I can tag easily enough with windows xp but winamp is continually giving me the metadata error every time I try to change any piece of information.

I open up a song in winamp to play, then click on the song title with the right mouse button. Then click on View File Info. Then try to change anything in there and it gives me the error.
Does that help you understand the problem?
Old 10th November 2011, 10:17   #4
DrO

any file on a computer can be set to be 'read-only' so you'd really need to check the file properties for the file in Explorer to check if that is set or not.

-daz
Old 11th November 2011, 21:32   #5
Bri1105

metadata error

As I previously said, I highly doubted that every piece of music I have, well over 3,000 songs, would be set as a read only file. Of course I was right. None are set as a read only file. And yet winamp continues to give me same message.

Need real solutions.

Oh.. and so it isn't the next think you suggest. The folder itself is listed as a music folder under properties.

Winamp on XP has no metadata error or failure even if I do mark the mp3 as a read only file. Therefore that shouldn't have anything to do with the problem. I went through on the xp and marked 17 different music files as read only and still went in (as I previously mentioned) and changed the tags. Through windows 7 none of the music files are marked as read only and non will allow the tag to change.
Old 11th November 2011, 21:50   #6
DrO

there was no need to be snarky in your reply. without having anything substantial to work against, what i first suggested was the best cause based on previous user issues.

how / where are you're accessing the files from i.e. are they on the same machine at the time or on a network share (as you keep mentioning XP and Win7, it's not clear where the files actually live).

looking at the source code for in_mp3 (which i really debated looking at after the reply), the only thing which otherwise jumps out is there is an issue with it attempting to create a new version of the file (since it creates a new one and then replaces the old one) - is the only thing i can find that would otherwise lead to going into the unspecified event (as all other tag / read-only failures get their own message).

-daz
Old 11th November 2011, 22:09   #7
Bri1105

metadata error

You are absolutely correct. I did not need to act 'snarky' as you call it. I'm sorry. Had you not been so fast on the draw, I had come back in to completely edit out that post. I am 6 months into looking for a solution and it's driving me bonkers.

However, I finally found one computer tech who understood instantly what the problem was and how to fix it. In the last 3 minutes I fixed both laptops with his one reply! I am sooooooo excited!

Here is the problem, it's the wmpnetworksvc and here's now to fix it.

In windows search bar "services.msc"

click on Services

scroll down to Windows Media Player Network Services

Right click on it, properties, disable. Then click Apply

While still on page click STOP so the program stops running.

Then go onto Recovery Tab and make certain all 3 boxes say Take No Action.

Then click Apply and close it out. Now you will be able to tag anything while using winamp or other programs.

So now there is a solution and it truly does work. I have used Winamp in the last few minutes to change the tags or add tags to a few songs already that have never previously worked!!!!! hopefully this will help others from here on out.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
cannot save, metadata, unspecified error