Old 6th July 2010, 14:58   #1
retroman

Metadata Not Read on Playlist Load

Hello folks,

The settings for metadata reading in Options|General Preferences|Titles|Metadata Reading are not working properly for me. I chose "read metadata in the background when files are loaded into Winamp or are played or viewed in the playlist editor". This setting works as expected if I use (say) File|Play Folder, but not after loading a playlist.

I discovered this after changing my Advanced Title formatting from the default to add album and year to the display. The additional info is displayed for all items on loading a folder as described above. However, on loading a playlist, only the first item (the one being played) shows "album - artist - title - year". The other items show only "artist - title" until they are played. Now as I read it, the point of the option "read metadata in the background..." is to display all specified tags on loading a playlist, since the playlist is now "viewed".

Attached is a screen shot of my Preferences dialog and a list of plugins. Running Winamp 5.58 Pro on Vista Home Basic SP2. Please advise if this is a bug or some setup error on my part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinampPrefsMetadata.png
Views:	325
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	47226  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Retroman_plugin_list.txt (6.0 KB, 288 views)

Doug M. in NJ

Last edited by retroman; 6th July 2010 at 15:04. Reason: clarification
retroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 15:31   #2
ujay
Forum King

A playlist uses whatever display/extended info is stored in it to create the initial display (pre look-up in the tags)

If this display info only has title and artist(default behaviour) then that is all you will see on loading.

Do you see the same issue if you save a new playlist using your changed ATF string.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 16:06   #3
retroman

Hi Ujay, and thanks for responding.

Do you see the same issue if you save a new playlist using your changed ATF string?

No, I don't and that is certainly one solution. But maybe I don't understand what is meant by "played or viewed" in the option "read metadata in the background when files are loaded into Winamp or are played or viewed in the playlist editor". To me, that phrase means that the data should be read from the music file, not from the playlist. Otherwise, what is the point of the option? In other words, how does it differ from the option "read metadata only when files are played"?

Doug M. in NJ
Old 6th July 2010, 16:40   #4
ujay
Forum King

It goes like this :

You save a playlist(for example .m3u) and this makes a list of file locations(where to find the file on the hard drive).
Also included is the diaplay info that is shown in the current Playlist Editor window, this is determined by your ATF string. If there is no info present then I think it falls back on filename.

When you now load the playlist, this display info is used to put 'something' up in the window.

All the various metadata reading schemes now come into effect

The next stage is to use the actual filename(not the display info) and get the tag info from the file itself, since this may well have changed, may not match your current ATF string etc. Obviously you may not want to do this straightaway as it could take a while with large amounts to look up all at once.

Basically the options set when the display gets changed to metadata/tag info.

UJ
Old 6th July 2010, 17:57   #5
retroman

Ujay, many thanks for your patience.

Obviously you may not want to do this straight-away as it could take a while with large amounts to look up all at once.

Actually, I do want to do this straight-away, and on my PC the lookup is pretty quick when a folder is opened. But I understand why only playlist data is shown initially and I have no problem with that. What I am struggling to understand are the differences between the options.

After the initial display from the playlist, I want the metadata to be extracted from the files automatically and displayed. I do not want have to wait for a file to be played to see the data. Are you saying that the fourth option is not supposed to do that, despite its description? That is curious since the dialog states:

"Winamp can read extended metadata for titles. Choose when Winamp should query this data."

I chose "...when file()s ... are played or viewed in the playlist editor". It is the "or viewed" part that is not working for me. Sorry to be so dense, but the description seems straightforward. You seem to be saying that the phrase "or viewed" should not be there, and that with the fourth option metadata will be read from the music file only when it is played. Am I understanding you correctly?

Doug M. in NJ
Old 7th July 2010, 00:00   #6
ujay
Forum King

When you load a playlist Winamp only has a list of display info derived from the playlist itself.
It then goes about changing the original display info to the corresponding metadata entries derived from the actual file tags. This may or may not match the original display info.

It is when and if this change over to metadata is done that varies with the options.

option 1 - All Playlist entries have their display info changed to metadata before anything else is done, All entries are in metadata in this case, so everything is already updated on display or play, regardless.

option 2 - Playlist entries only have their metadata looked up and display info changed if they are being played, or are being viewed in the playlist window.
In this case only those items that have been 'used' will have been looked up, resulting in only some of the original display info having been changed.

option 3 - Playlist entries only have their metadata looked up and displayed if they have been played, again the rest of the entries remain unchanged.

option 4 - this does exactly the same as option 2, except that Winamp will attempt to fill in any remaining unchanged entries in the background.

Apart from the initial delay, you will only appear to see any difference in the operation of option 1 and option 2 if the display info in the playlist does not match the metadata info in the tags, especially if you have a fast machine.

Hope this helps, otherwise I'm not understanding what you are saying

UJ
Old 7th July 2010, 15:07   #7
retroman

My Conclusions

I did new tests of all four options, using M3U playlists that contained only artist-title data while the title display formula was set for album-artist-title-year. One playlist held Mp3 files, the other held Mp4 videos. In both cases:

Option 1: playlist pane shows no album or year metadata update from music/video files until an item is played
Options 2, 3, and 4: ditto

Based on your explanations of how the options should work and on my tests, my conclusion is that only option 3 ("read metadata only when file is played") is working in the playlist display on my system. Option 3 is always in effect and the other three options are simply ignored. As I mentioned earlier, after loading a folder via the File menu or Shift+L, the other options do work as described.

I encourage 5.58 users to do the test above and post the results here. That could indicate whether the problem is unique to my installation or not. I'm reluctant to file a bug report until others have reproduced the problem. I also don't know whether the problem is new with 5.58 or not. Perhaps someone using 5.57 will do the test and report back.

Ujay, again, many thanks for your patience and for your clear explanations.

Doug M. in NJ

Last edited by retroman; 7th July 2010 at 15:10. Reason: clarification
Old 7th July 2010, 16:27   #8
ujay
Forum King

Ah ... MP4

There is ongoing work on MP4 support, so maybe the problems stem from there.
MP3 should be fine though.

Not much else I can say.

UJ
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
metadata, playlist, preferences