Soon 2012.

Who believes this? http://www.google.com/search?q=2012
ApperremLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 22:42   #2
fc*uk

Recovered from spam.

Discuss.

I'm so going to Chichen Itza for this.

Personally, the Mayan calendar just ends; that's it. We are not going to die. Ask any Mayan that is not trying to promote tourism for Mexico and they will tell you the same.

Kukulkan will not eatsed us.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 03:01   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Isn't the date more of a celebration in Myan culture rather than something that hurts or ends us?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 05:33   #4
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Well, it's either the Mulians that rewrite the world or it's the Angels that destroy it...

Either way in 2012, we're gonna need mecha

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 06:17   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sinnerrepent.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	49147  
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 22:21   #6
fc*uk

No, the Mayan calendar ends december 21, 2012.

Legend has it that the calendar ends on that date because the Mayan's thought something bad was going to happen. Hence the world ending.

People wanting to feed the legend but give a more intelligent answer will tell you that the calendar ends because there is going to be come short of a shift of planetary bodies, which the Mayans predicted, which is why the calendar can't continue on. Shifting of the planets is bad and this will cause the world to end.

People wanting to simply tell you the truth will acknowledge a possibility of a planetary shift and comment that this can/could happen. They will then add that there is no way in hell the Mayans could predict a planetary shift. They will then finish by saying that the calendar ends because the Mayans only mapped a calendar out this far. No world ending.

I mean, around what, 900 AD the Mayan's vanished from their cities. Assuming they came up with the calendar on the day they vanished, which they did not, they had a calendar that spanned 1,112 years in the future. Do you have a calendar that does out that far?
Old 18th September 2011, 22:33   #7
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

According to Wikipedia, there is evidence to suggest that it was a "huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole [calendar] cycle", not necessarily a situation where there couldn't be any future cycles after that.

My paper calendar ends on January 31st 2012, but I'm guessing the world will continue on well after that. My MS Outlook calendar ends on Dec. 31, 9999, but I'm guessing Outlook will be long gone by then. It's both impossible to predict with current available evidence and beyond my control, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Old 18th September 2011, 22:47   #8
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
Do you have a calendar that does out that far?
It's called a 64bit unix time stamp, that'll see us until... well... I doubt earth will still be about when that runs out.

And I shall quote myself from the other 2012 thread we have: (Don't mind the tone of it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOAL View Post
Anyway...

Lets compare 2012 with 2038.
Oh look it's two clocks both coming to their maximum value, man what on earth will we do!?
I know I get scared when my egg timer runs out, but this is just taking it to a new level...
As time is relative, when you die the world will end -- for you at least.
Oh I just remembered that crazy christian guy that got loads of attention for predicting the end of the world, earlier this year. What is the difference between this and him?

So yeah, just find Ted, chill and have some beers.
If the world does end, at least there will be another decent post here.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
QOAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 22:50   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

People have been predicting the end of the world since there were people to predict it. It looks like a couple times that humans faced a near extinction level event. Some of the DNA evidence suggests that we all might be descended from as few as 600 women.
Old 20th September 2011, 01:30   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Ahh, I have another predictor that I have debunked!

When my wife cooks something, she uses the microwave's kitchen timer instead of the egg timer that I use (because the egg timer startles the bejesus out of anyone within a hundred feet when it ends), which uses the same digits as it's clock (it's a cheap microwave). When it beeps, it displays the word "End" in place of the clock. She often forgets to hit the stop/cancel button, which gets rid of "End" and goes back to the clock display.

I often rely on the microwave clock to see what time it is because it's really bright, easy to read from a lot of places in the dining room, living room, kitchen, or on the way to the restroom. I walk past and look at what time it says, and I get:

"End"

...which is kinda eerie, dark, and morbid in a way. But luckily, I eventually remember that yes, the world still exists, for better or for worse, and that the apocalypse will have to wait for some other time. I then logon to the forums, read Q's post, and think, maybe I should be looking at the fridge instead of the clock.

Old 20th September 2011, 13:09   #11
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

I have a hard time swallowing this 'end of the world in 2012' based on the Mayan Calender. The calender on my phone goes far beyond 2057 ... In a world that doesn't, droid does.
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 09:15   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
she uses the microwave's kitchen timer instead of the egg timer
Hmm... you're not supposed to run a nuke empty. With nothing absorbing the microwaves, it will heat the magnetron reducing it's life immensely if not immediately. The energy has to be absorbed somewhere. If it's not food, it's parts of the oven.
Old 21st September 2011, 10:18   #13
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Uh, a lot (if not all) of newer microwave ovens will let you use the timer without actually running the oven...
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:28   #14
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
they had a calendar that spanned 1,112 years in the future. Do you have a calendar that does out that far?
yup, i'll let wikipedia.org take it from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
On time scales of thousands of years, the Gregorian calendar falls behind the seasons because the slowing down of the Earth's rotation makes each day slightly longer over time (see tidal acceleration and leap second) while the year maintains a more uniform duration. Borkowski reviewed mathematical models in the literature, and found that the results generally fall between a model by McCarthy and Babcock, and another by Stephenson and Morrison. If so, in the year 4000, the calendar will fall behind by at least 0.8 but less than 1.1 days. In the year 12,000 the calendar would fall behind by at least 8 but less than 12 days.[56]
so... our current calender will be accurate to less than one day 0.8 (of a day to be specific) for four thousand years and after twelve thousand years only be off by eight to twelve days total, i'd say the mayan calender's ass has already been whooped for a while actually overall.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:53   #15
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShy View Post
Uh, a lot (if not all) of newer microwave ovens will let you use the timer without actually running the oven...
This is the case with ours. The kitchen timer on it does not actually cause the unit to attempt to cook anything. It's a really cheap ($50 new) Kenmore bought at Sears just before I started my first teaching job in August of 2001, yet it still has a stand-alone kitchen timer. Unfortunately, it uses the same digits as the clock unlike models with bigger displays. Because of this, I have the issue I mentioned earlier.

Old 22nd September 2011, 20:52   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

That would be handy. I never saw that before. My nuke isn't very old. Maybe a couple three years.

/me checks nuker

Indeed.... It does have a timer....you'd have to be standing on top of it to hear it, but it does have a timer..... Learn something new every day.

I'm not tossing my old timer, even though it is older than me.
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:40   #17
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I love the oldschool egg timer. It's like a bank alarm. I could be in the basement shitter dropping bombs and I'd still hear it.

Old 23rd September 2011, 23:33   #18
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

It's funny when I stop to think at how many timers we have. There's the microwave, the oven, an actual digital timer, my phone and the kitchen clock... an yet, I hardly use any of them when I cook/bake.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 04:10   #19
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

the thing that annoys me the most though, i'll have to replace my damned (awesome) watch sometime fairly soon so it's internal calender doesn't start getting off at some point..... damn intentional design flaws.

Old 26th September 2011, 07:47   #20
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I find it rather interesting that the 2012 fad is lasting this long, can't we just get back to vampires and zombies? I mean seriously, PRIORITIES PEOPLE!

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 13:28   #21
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
I find it rather interesting that the 2012 fad is lasting this long, can't we just get back to vampires and zombies? I mean seriously, PRIORITIES PEOPLE!
You wanna know who would win in a fight between Vampires vs. Zombies?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 26th September 2011, 22:55   #22
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

I am disappointed that no one has replied to the original post in the manner I am about to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApperremLer View Post
Yes, I do believe that the year 2012 will occur.
There is only so much time one has in a single year and upon it's completion a new year is entered, this is a fact.
I also believe the number 2012 exists, whether it is a useful constant or not could be disputed.
I am also able to confirm that Google is a website which enables users to search for terms, like your example "2012".

I hope this answers your question.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
Old 26th September 2011, 23:01   #23
fc*uk

^lol!

About the calendar since nearly everyone missed it. We have a calendar that goes out 4 billion years because a computer calculated that calendar. I don't think Mayans had computers that did that for them.

So you personally .... From a calendar you made yourself without the use of any electronic device .... How far does THAT calendar go out? Mine is a month.

Be impressed that this culture took the time todo that in the first place because no one else did.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:55   #24
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

personally, i think the year 2222 has much more potential to be an entertaining novelty.

Old 28th September 2011, 04:12   #25
fc*uk

^ Got something against 1111?

Or are you on about 2222 because 1.2 billion projected people, antarctic melting, and the earth will be about 50% under water?

First, the people. That does not take into account pandemics and epidemics, which I personally believe we are on the verge of.

Credibility statement (which will ultimately end up discrediting me): I work in the *******eutical industry and my wife is a physician; we are out of answers and shit keeps happening.

The antibiotic tolerance and the existence of a superbug is not a joke; we are fucked, especially those of us in the US where meds are dolled out for sneezing. HIV/AIDS has no hope in site. Add cancer to that list and it's potential causes keep multiplying; how do you like that cell and it's massive EMF that fucks with your body? At a molecular level, it's all about free radicals that cause shit to go wrong; they are the source of mutations, which is cancer. That's why smoking is so bad. Combustion produces free radicals, which you are readily inhaling into your lungs ... need I go on?

But I will, anyone do studies on Wifi yet? Oh fuck we can't because we need our children to get old and see how fucked up they are before we really know.

Then there is arctic warming/global warming. Personally, I think our buddy Al and the rest of the world is full of shit. Global warming is a farce and a political ploy. Temperatures are shifting, nothing more. Sure, the arctic is warming and Bangladesh is averaging +10C cooler than they have in the past. How about you UK folks and your recent winters? I think that is going to start to become normal for you all. Just like the lack of significant snow in Michigan (compared to 10 years prior), where I live.
Old 29th September 2011, 20:31   #26
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

honestly:
1. 1111 has already happened, old news.
2. anyone who believe ANY kind of prediction about 2222 has a snowball's chance in hell of even getting within sight range of a 99% margin of error is an ignorant fool.

and finally, quit your job, you're part of the problem you fucking pill vending machine.

Old 29th September 2011, 23:28   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

You can't stereotype people who are responsible about their jobs with those who aren't.

Old 30th September 2011, 00:00   #28
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
and finally, quit your job, you're part of the problem you fucking pill vending machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
You can't stereotype people who are responsible about their jobs with those who aren't.
Nah, it's all good Ted. I've got a word for that:

INSOLENT

add "you" before it and your expletive of choice after and .... bingo!
Old 30th September 2011, 22:39   #29
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

hey, if i've pissed off part of the problem, can i really be doing that badly?

Old 30th September 2011, 22:45   #30
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Considering you play Minecraft and you're not 14, yes.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:50   #31
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
is that a good thing or a bad then?

you lost me there, i must not be biased, or is it unbiased enough.

i was only joking anyway... well.... ok fine i can't lie, but i didn't intend it personally.

doctors really do piss me off honestly, only difference from them and the ones who go to jail for being a drug pusher is a piece of paper and a technicality.

then again, when you start seeing pills that have come up with advertising slogans, you get afraid to investigate the surroundings too much in case you hear the toilet flushing and realize how fucked we are.

Old 30th September 2011, 23:49   #32
fc*uk

massively edited post.

on second thought, you are not worth my time and have been ignored so I don't see any of your ignorant posts ever again.

I also value this community and my potential ability to contribute here much more than arguing with someone as vile and disgusting as yourself. If I keep this up with you one or both us us will end up banned, and you are not worth that much to me.
Old 1st October 2011, 01:11   #33
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
[probably shouldn't admit this] I play bf1942 occasionally at age 33; usually about an hour on Sundays if I get some time to relax. [/probably shouldn't admit this]

lock? bin?

or maybe we should just stop posting in this thread and move on to the others; I hope I didn't upset anyone.

Old 1st October 2011, 02:33   #34
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
[probably shouldn't admit this] I play bf1942 occasionally at age 33; usually about an hour on Sundays if I get some time to relax. [/probably shouldn't admit this]
Fuck it, you know? I don't think there's anything embarrassing about adults playing games, though it also depends on how much of their life they devote to it...

I knew someone who used to work at my Target, and doesn't anymore for whatever reason, and judging by her consistent and over-obnoxiously often Facebook updates (Which have prompted me to just straight up ignore everything that comes off of her profile), all she seemingly does all fucking day is play Facebook games...I scroll through her wall posts and see absolutely no sign or clue that she lives a productive life anymore, much less a life where she eats, breathes, and shits through a day without playing those damn games...I don't even think she's currently employed, though that didn't stop her when she was still working...She's 45, for the record...

Now that's beyond embarrassment...

Old 1st October 2011, 02:57   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Yeah, everything in moderation I guess.

It's sad to see what happens to people when they become an addict or obsessive/compulsive.

Old 1st October 2011, 06:15   #36
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
massively edited post.

on second thought, you are not worth my time and have been ignored so I don't see any of your ignorant posts ever again.

I also value this community and my potential ability to contribute here much more than arguing with someone as vile and disgusting as yourself. If I keep this up with you one or both us us will end up banned, and you are not worth that much to me.

dear god, you really have a lot to learn if you can't control your little temper at your age.
and seriously, i was only playfully jabbing, the fact that you're this upset about something i didn't even mean entirely seriously or really directed at you except playfully just goes to show that you totally agree with me, you don't want to believe keeping your patients addicted is part of the problem but you wouldn't be so defensive unless you knew deep down it really was.

and... community? wow... i admit, i enjoy typing to people here on the forums quite a bit, i'd even say i consider a few of you as friends but... that's quite a stretch, other people's opinions are rubbish at worst and fuel at best.

also, might i say that stereotyping someone who enjoys video games - i like all types of them honestly - a particular type or not as really anything and then attempting to use it as fuel for your own self righteous argument that is based on literally nothing but you're own assumption....

well... suffice to say the irony that you talk of ignorance in this situation is delicious.

Old 1st October 2011, 13:57   #37
fc*uk

The ting about that also is I am sure 1942 has a little bit of nostalgia associated with it for you ted.

Like you, when I have the time I will still play atari 2600, nes, and genesis games. One of my most favorite games would likely be tunnel runner for the atari. Beautifully simple, yet very hard and fun.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:36   #38
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I might have to get Space Invaders out!

Old 2nd October 2011, 00:26   #39
rockouthippie
Banned

If you can load an snes emulator, I recommend Zombies Ate My Neighbors. It was the best snes game ever.
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:42   #40
fc*uk

ROH --- you might want to double check. I'm pretty sure I saw a Wii virtual console port of that game too.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions