Old 28th August 2012, 20:24   #1
forestlawn

bring back Internet album art search!

In the latest version of winamp they pulled the plug internet search for album art! Please bring it back. TY.
forestlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 21:18   #2
DrO

i'm sorry but i really wouldn't expect to see the feature coming back any time soon - the license deal which allowed it ended and i don't believe anything to replace it is going to come soon.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 13:52   #3
Robster400

Dr.O, can't it do what others do, and pull it off Google or Last.fm?

Too much is never enough...
Last.fm
Robster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 14:00   #4
DrO

i would have to say yes if someone coded it to do so but i don't know on the implications of doing it (Winamp is probably too large to get away with doing it without some sort of agreement, etc i'd have to presume).

-daz
Old 29th August 2012, 20:48   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
programs like EAC and mp3tag get art from all kinds of sources. i think they do it by by regular port 80 searches, and as generic browsers. the way EAC does it would be good for winamp i think.

allmusic or amazon or google shouldn't know its winamp, and its publicly available anyway.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:18   #6
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

@ MrSinatra,
You didn't mention Discogs. Discogs has also many album art, but I don't know, if Discogs has codes. I always walk via "AOL Search" directly to Discogs, and mostly Discogs has the album art for "artist -title". Do EAC and mp3tag also work with Discogs? Discogs is well-known, and I hope, a solution will be found...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:33   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm no expert in this, but i think mp3tag does work with discogs. its more "traditional' in that you tell it which source to query, be it discogs, amazon, whatever.

but EAC is different. from what i can tell, its basically doing an image search of LOTS of different sources at once. kinda like google image search but even more sources than that. then it returns thumbnails to a minipage, where you can select the one you want to use. it is, to me, by far the best way to get art on new rips. you can even search by image size ranges.

--
Old 29th August 2012, 22:38   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have never used the disappeared "download cover"-feature of Winamp.
I began with Amazon, but then I had found much better images on Discogs, so I had changed. The images are also in backup-folders.
When I began to download music also from Internet Archive (not only Soundcloud), I began to download all the images from the offered albums, not only one image, and I have them in the backup-folders, too.
People, who had used Winamp in the past, have to go another way now to get the album art.
And I also say: What a pity...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 23:35   #9
DrO

based on what i've seen, there have hardly been any comments (including forum posts) about the feature being removed so either people just aren't bothered or are not saying anything or it was hardly used. there was always more complaints about it just never working, at least those issues are gone.

yes it's probably not ideal that it's gone but if it wasn't working right for people then what's the point of providing it. and yes all of the other services probably could be used though i suspect that ones like mp3tag can get away with it from being comparatively small and i wouldn't be surprised if Winamp would have to re-license something else to be able to get away with it without other issues (note: i am probably wrong as i've no idea about such things).

either way, if these other programs are better at doing it then just use them - as yes Winamp probably should be providing it but it never was right and that's just not of a benefit to users overall (especially based on all of the abuse away from the forums that i've seen levelled against it and other features not working).

and it's not like a plug-in couldn't be made to do it (even taking over the api which was in place but now just returns an empty response - so it can be used again in the future) but as no one gives a monkey about coding Winamp plug-ins anymore, that seems to be a lost hope (and really if it was going to have happened then it probably would have done years ago).

-daz
Old 30th August 2012, 21:38   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

ever the optimist!

--
Old 30th August 2012, 21:40   #11
DrO

thought i was as i've given enough hint on the details for someone to pick it up. and with that, back to doing multiple DNAS configs for me *joy*

-daz
Old 30th August 2012, 21:52   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

i am really looking forward to the DNAS / DSP work, i just haven't commented on those recent posts as i haven't had anything meaningful to add. but somewhat relatedly, i'm really looking forward to being able to stream the artwork with the song.

--
Old 31st August 2012, 14:21   #13
DrO

if only there was a player which can show the in-stream artwork... as i've got a very buggy implementation done in Winamp but between the new code not showing things most of the time and the Bento / Modern skins just not updating correctly (due to the async issues people have with it). annoyingly i wanted to show it off in a demo today but the feature just ain't wanting to work at all today.

-daz
Old 29th September 2012, 14:18   #14
Boz1968

This is a huge blow to me. I loved this feature. So much so that I looked for other options to manage my music on my PC. (Not found one I like better), but there has to be a way for this to work. As it is now, I just do a manual search for the cover and then port it in. Adds time and sucks, but works. Got a be a way to automate this.
Boz1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 16:23   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

rip with EAC, use mp3tag or an app like album art aggregator, etc... winamp won't add this back anytime soon.

--
Old 1st October 2012, 00:05   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
rip with EAC, use mp3tag or an app like album art aggregator, etc... winamp won't add this back anytime soon.
I want to try Album Art Aggregator. Can't find a working download link. Do you know of one or can you provide the installation app via MediaFire?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:38   #17
pjn123
Major Dude

I know this might not be the best solution but if anyone want to try the AlbumArtExchange in Winamp Reader (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....54#post2887154) they can manually copy the image and paste it in the file info dialog.

If you know of better websites for images place share. AlbumArtExchange have high resolution images and I normally use them.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:50   #18
DrO

i know what you're trying to offer but it's still a skin-specific solution and that is not acceptable for the "issue".

-daz
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:36   #19
pjn123
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i know what you're trying to offer but it's still a skin-specific solution and that is not acceptable for the "issue".

-daz
Yes you can only use this in Bento. The issue was that Winamp removed the feature and no hope in it coming back soon :P

So this solves part of the problem because you can at least have Winamp search for covers automatically (and actually finding it lol). If all the functions in gen_ff worked it might also be possible to download and save the cover image but thats not going to happen (the developers rather have the habit to disable functions without even saying a word).

But if there are problems with Winamp licensing the covers they can just enable downloadURL() gen_ff function or even create a new function called saveCoverURL(String URL) and pop a message box that ask the user to confirm. Just make it easier to get the image from the webpage to our file and there will be no copyright issues for them.

But not forcing anyone to use it or even saying its better than the original implementation so they can wait for Winamp to bring it back or wait for a proper plugin that might come any year now

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:09   #20
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
You can use
http://coverartarchive.org/

Backed by the brilliant Musicbrainz and archive.org

A free and open source for cover art.

Here is the API:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Cover_Art_Archive/API

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"