Old 20th July 2011, 15:39   #1
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
So, I'm getting a Ruger 10/22 Tactical rifle

Friend of mine is ordering one today or tomorrow and was told that he can get them a bit cheaper if two or more are ordered. I was going to get one as well with income tax next year, but with a crapload of overtime coming this payday, said friend asked me if I wanted to go ahead and get it now (since we'll both save a bit with the discount). So, I said yes, and now he's ordering two of them.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Ta...eets/1261.html

My step dad has a case I can have for it, so that's taken care of. Going to get one of these:
10/22 Magazine Loader

Probably three of these:
30-round Magazine (because I want to shoot, not reload)

Not 100% sure on the scope, but probably this one:
BARSKA 3-9x32 Plinker-22

Any ideas/suggestions?

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:19   #2
NJK
The Frisian

what are you going to do with it?

shoot some helpless birds?

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:55   #3
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Yes, because that's JUST what three 30 round magazines and a 3-9x scope are great for...

No, it'll be used at a range to have fun with. At about a nickel per shot, why not.

And I don't give a shit how "helpless" an animal is. I like meat, period.

Old 20th July 2011, 16:57   #4
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Ideas/suggestions for what?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:59   #5
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Attachments/accessories.

Old 20th July 2011, 19:04   #6
NJK
The Frisian

beware , they might shoot back

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:38   #7
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I have owned a couple of rifles and a shotgun, but I was never a hunter.
(Winchester 270, 22 semi-automatic, 12 gauge shotgun)
I sold them when we started having kids, kids and firearms don't mix.

You can have fun on the target range with firearms.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:41   #8
webthing
Forum King

sorry
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 01:30   #9
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

So, I went to a professional (family physician) who told me that with the proper abdominal exercises. I should be able to match the accuracy of your "gun".
Actually, I had one of these back in the day and rarely are .22s a threat to anything on 2 legs.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 04:30   #10
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
Attachments/accessories.
Adapt an M1913 rail on it so you can use an ACOG scope on it; Maybe find a way to put an under-barrel 16-gauge shotgun for an attachment...

Actually, it depends on how much fun you want to have with one of those...Definitely a scope for it, maybe something simple like a 9x32, fit for the .22 LR's ballistics, if you want to crack off marksman-like shots; But if you want consistent accuracy for short/mid-ranges, look into a reflex sight, something cheap like a Tasco...Definitely go for a larger capacity magazine too...

If you want to take things further, look into a bipod or aftermarket stock, maybe a floating barrel shroud with an RIS for more attachments...

You know, up to and including this so-called "Archangel" kit that can turn your 10/22 into this or that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChevelle View Post
Actually, I had one of these back in the day and rarely are .22s a threat to anything on 2 legs.
Well, they don't have the ballistics performance of rifle rounds and they don't have the stopping power of pistol rounds, but they can do damage if applied properly...It only takes ~70psi blunt force trauma to fracture a human skill and 4in to penetrate internal organs inside of the body; The best-performing .22 LR delivers more than double the energy and travels at a muzzle velocity of ~500m/s, just enough to deliver lethal head shots and take out the heart and lungs...

Careless disrespect of the .22 LR gets people killed as well...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 22:11   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

Use Stingers or Velocitors. The added muzzle velocity and impact energy make it act a lot more like a rifle. It also extends the practical range to 125 meters. The cleanup is a lot nicer... worth it all by itself. These have extremely improved terminal performance. About as good as a .38 pistol.

I like the Butler Creek 25 round mags. The actually last. Ramline ones are shit. Don't use any plastic clips with truncated "cone nose" bullets such as Remington Yellow Jackets. The are fine in the standard 10 round magazine. The terminal performance against small varmints is .... they will never knew what hit them.

I would use a sling instead of/or with the pistol grip fore stock grip. A sling is not the carry handle.

I wore one of these guns out in my life, but it took me 30 years. My current one is a 10-22 Stainless. I put about an $80 Simmons 4X32 scope on it.

The 10-22 will never be as accurate as a good bolt action, but it's not a slouch. You should stay with an inch at 100 yards.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 22:31   #12
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by webthing View Post

sorry
Don't be. Bettter the bank than Bambi.
Oh, wait ....Is that a "Tower" Reference?
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 22:51   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Actually .22's are fairly lethal. Because they won't shoot through a larger animal, they tend to bounce around inside and rip up internal organs. This is especially true with head shots. This makes the terminal performance better than you would expect.

Don't shoot anyone unless you mean it. A double or triple tap should stop a human permanently. The almost total lack of muzzle jump lets you hold the group. The almost total lack of flash means you'll stay hidden.

I've seen some noise/flash suppressed .22 guns that were so quiet it's really scary.
Old 21st July 2011, 23:40   #14
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Been shot twice with a .22, still breathing.
On the other hand, my buddy got shot once mid-chest and died pretty much instantly.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:37   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I know people who have poached deer with a .22 because of the lack of noise. It's effective enough. I used to know a guy whose roommate shot him with a 30-06. He lived too, but it about turned him inside out.

I'd still consider a .22 a highly lethal weapon. In handguns, hypervelocity ammunition is a must. Regular "carton of shells" .22 are not hollowpoints and have miserable muzzle velocity out of a short barrel.

There are some center fire guns like .25's that I would consider less effective. If I were to pick an assassins pistol, you could do worse than a Baretta M71 with the 6" barrel.

These require a federal license, but Norrell makes integral sound suppression 10-22 and the Ruger MK .22 pistol. Like I said, they are so quiet, it's scary.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/norr..._22_review.htm

Quote:
On the other hand, my buddy got shot once mid-chest and died pretty much instantly.
You evidently didn't get shot in the middle of the chest? I wouldn't shoot anyone any other place with any gun. You could "knee cap" someone with a .22. With bigger guns that can be eventually lethal due to bone embolisms.

A .38 special hits with about 200 lbs of energy. So does a stinger. Another effective bullet is the Remington Yellow Jacket. The truncated nose makes it almost disintegrate on impact and widen out to the size of a dime. I used these for prairie dogs, and usually it completely disintegrated the varmint. Regular .22 shells make em flop around for a few seconds before they die. Yj's are "splat!" like a bug hit the windshield.
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:16   #16
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Decided on this scope. And I think I'll go for this ammo.

Old 22nd July 2011, 21:22   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

I never had a variable parallax scope. I like the dust covers on the one you picked. I am uncertain about where 3-9 variable is useful. I know about the parallax problem because I tried to mount a regular rifle scope on a .22. No dice.

I picked this one because it was made for 22 mag. It drives tacks.

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Truple...1369719&sr=1-4

As for ammo. Both of the 10/22 I've had seem to be picky about what you shoot in them. Change ammo and you'll need to recalibrate. That's why I use Stingers. The shoot clean. They are hypervelocity, don't make your fingers black and you can get them anywhere.

One more thing I noted. It seems to be acceptable to use Remlon dri-lube as a lubricant. If you use grease and oil, you'll invariably gum up the gun. In practice, it can cause misfires usually because the extractor gets all gummy and won't extract any more. A jam in that way won't hurt the stock magazine. It will screw up a plastic magazine. It makes cleanup a lot easier because powder doesn't stick to it.

Oh and I'll say it again Butler Creek 25 rd magazine
Any Ramline magazine

With the scope above, I set it to be "dead on" at 16.5 yards. I'm just guessing, but I think if you set your parallax adjustment for 50 yards and did the same, you'd probably be about right. Normal rifle scopes are usually parallax adjusted for 150 yards. That's a problem on a gun that won't shoot 150 yards.

Happy plinking!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 22nd July 2011 at 22:51.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:42   #18
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

So here it is with the Dragunov stock and bipod.

Old 16th December 2011, 22:28   #19
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
you almost have as much scope as you do gun there SSJ4.

and that plastic cartridge kinda makes it looks like an airsoft gun at first glance.

i think as far as looks go, you've finished ruining it.

also, at least one of your links is dead/bad.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 22:05   #20
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

who cares about the looks? as long as it works...

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions