Old 24th July 2013, 06:38   #1
bartman1

AVS overlay/fullscreen failing on windows 7

AVS plugin won't show when going either fullscreen OR overlay mode.

The little window with the visualization works good, but when going fullscreen or overlay I only see the "overlay color" (#1F000F), even when trying to go fullscreen with overlay mode disabled, all I see is that color.

I already tried with clean winamp installation (uninstalled, removed all "winamp" folders on hd and restarted pc, then installed latest winamp from winamp.com)

Specs:
Video: GeForce GT 610 Driver version 320.18
Cpu: AMD FX 6300 (6 core)
Directx: updated with http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
Winamp version: Winamp 5.64 Jun 26 2013
Also tried with this version, same problem: winamp57_3437_beta_full_all.exe
Windows: 7 Ultimate SP1 non modified, all updates installed

Any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.
bartman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 12:08   #2
DrO

its expected for avs as its that old it only does overlay/full screen correctly on XP, anything after that won't work correctly (unless you disable aero if I remember correctly). is one of the many reasons why avs hasn't been the default visualisation plug-in for years.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 04:34   #3
bartman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
its expected for avs as its that old it only does overlay/full screen correctly on XP, anything after that won't work correctly (unless you disable aero if I remember correctly). is one of the many reasons why avs hasn't been the default visualisation plug-in for years.
Thank you, I understand all but, is there an equal or better plugin out there can be used as wallpaper and fullscreen on modern systems?

I managed to run fullscreen without overlay mode, but not "desktop" mode, even without aero.

The overlay issue is a limitation with newer windows versions or just AVS is not being updated?

I noticed different versions on the AVS for the beta winamp I installed, if there is active development on AVS (even in beta), where would be a good place to ask what is the problem exactly?

Thanks.
Old 27th July 2013, 16:42   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman1 View Post

I noticed different versions on the AVS for the beta winamp I installed, if there is active development on AVS (even in beta), where would be a good place to ask what is the problem exactly?
If you have not found it already, there is a sub-forum for AVS. Look near the bottom of the main forum page.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 17:11   #5
DrO

posting there isn't going to get a different answer. avs is just old and not compatible with newer OSes for such features covered in this thread. without a reimplementation or a miracle, avs on anything beyond XP is a crippled experience and isn't going to change. and is why I still think we need to spilt it out for those wanting it and not ship it by default.

and the different versions in the Winamp beta / 5.64 / 5.65 is just from providing the most stable of unstable builds based on the OS being used.
Old 28th July 2013, 00:35   #6
bartman1

The most important question reminds (sorry I didn't clarify)

Is there an equal or better plugin out there can be used as wallpaper and fullscreen on modern systems? or/and any other plugin that can use AVS visualizations.
Old 28th July 2013, 00:52   #7
DrO

milkdrop - not the same but it'll work a lot better than avs does and there's a mass of presets available for it. if not you'll need to trapse through the vis plug-ins on the site / via Google etc to find anything else which may be suitable for you.
Old 28th July 2013, 01:15   #8
bartman1

Quote:
milkdrop - not the same but it'll work a lot better than avs does and there's a mass of presets available for it. if not you'll need to trapse through the vis plug-ins on the site / via Google etc to find anything else which may be suitable for you.
I will probably downgrade to XP for now, or maybe try the video acceleration on Oracle Virtualbox, thanks a lot for your help
Old 28th July 2013, 01:23   #9
DrO

might as well use Winamp v2.81 if you're going to downgrade the OS for the sake of an outdated and unsupported vis plug-in
Old 28th July 2013, 10:11   #10
bartman1

Quote:
might as well use Winamp v2.81 if you're going to downgrade the OS for the sake of an outdated and unsupported vis plug-in
: >

Still there isn't something similar to our knowledge or as good in my opinion, I believe the amount and usefulness of features in AVS are not matched anywhere for me.

I know it was sarcasm but you shouldn't recommend outdated versions on forums, someone not following the conversation or having less knowledge in English language might end up with a player that is not patched and insecure.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
avs, bug