Old 5th August 2002, 01:12   #1
caffine77

couple more file formats?

I was just bragging to my friend's fiance the other day how cool winamp was 'cause it can play WAY more music formats than WiMP (I sent him an .mtm it wouldn't play). But then I found one today that it wouldn't! Eek! Install another media player besides WinAmp? Here are the two formats I've found so far: .far and .amf. I guess they're both along the same lines as .mods, so I was kinda surprised they weren't already supported since you have other similar formats in there (.669, .mtm, .mod, etc.) Here's a player that does support them, but crashes a lot:
http://www.castlex.com/modplug/player.php3 Hopefully that helps. Don't tell him there are formats WinAmp doesn't yet support, then I'll never get him to switch! thanks and ttyl,

mich
caffine77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2002, 10:34   #2
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Winamp can't play really lots of modules formats (to say the truth, it can play only few of them). And the mod plug-in develompent is almost stopped. If you really want to play them you will need another player (the best one for Windows I know is DeliPlayer).
X-Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2002, 14:30   #3
caffine77

oh yeah, I forgot about DeliPlayer, had that one a while ago. So it's pretty much to be assumed that WinAmp will *never* support these formats?? I'll take this opportunity to post something completely ignorant and stupid, but how hard would it be for me to try to add this myself (write it)? I've never written any kinda media player type of stuff, but I'd WAY rather have WinAmp play all of my media than have two media players... especially for music since I'd like to add the songs together in the same playlist. put my mp3s, .wavs, .oggs, .mtms, and .amfs all in the same place. Such a fun player... I think I have 1.90 burnt on a CD somewhere from a long time ago. Anyways, so what can I do to help WA and how hard is it? Are there any good links to start with? ! ttyl,

mich
Old 6th August 2002, 12:24   #4
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Well, I can do this, say, a bit later. But you should provide links to files of all formats you need.
Old 7th August 2002, 02:02   #5
caffine77

here's a link to a .far song:

http://debian.attica.net.nz/kosmic.o...3/bdda-klf.zip

here's a couple .amfs:

http://debian.attica.net.nz/kosmic.org/1993/way-klf.zip

http://debian.attica.net.nz/kosmic.o...3/sund-klf.zip

http://debian.attica.net.nz/kosmic.o...3/relg-klf.zip

hope these help! ttyl,

mich
Old 7th August 2002, 02:05   #6
caffine77

hey wow... that mod player that always crashes plays Unreal Tournament .umx files... that'd be pretty cool, huh? Obviously I can't post one, but I bet someone around there has one.
Old 7th August 2002, 05:15   #7
peter
ist death

umx are just s3m/it/xm containers, they all do work in Winamp if you only extract them with proper software.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2002, 05:46   #8
X-Fixer
Major Dude

OK. I'll look what I can do here.

btw, if you have files in any other unusual mod format do not hesitate to give me a link
Old 8th August 2002, 11:02   #9
X-Fixer
Major Dude

So here it goes. Changes:

- FAR loader
- info box close on esc
- remember position of info box (relative to main window)
- fixed lame bug in STM loader (detection)

available from here:

http://x-fixer.narod*****download/in_mod.zip

I really want to test it more thoroughly. Any help is appreciated. Cause the most interesting point is effects, I can make a special version that will blow up a message on any unimplemented effect it finds (so you can send the module to me).
Formats under testing are

- FAR
- AMF (comming soon, hopefully)

If someone is interested, post here

peter: please, move this to your forum. I think there are better chances to find volunteers there.
Old 9th August 2002, 12:30   #10
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Next version (beta9). Changes:

- added tempo effect
- fixed displaying of sample names
- fixed reloading bug (hit play on a module, open info box, play another one, play this again)
- some fixes (now sounds more like in MPT)
- more info on samples (in info box)
- AMF loader

Also under testing:
- MED

caffine77: the work is done. where is my beer?

peter: send me pm if you read this
Old 10th August 2002, 15:05   #11
caffine77

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Fixer

caffine77: the work is done. where is my beer?

peter: send me pm if you read this
Two beers! cheers X-Fixer Can't wait to get home and try this out... on vacation for the weekend, drat! excellent (and quick!) work. Bravo. ttyl,

mich
Old 10th August 2002, 15:15   #12
caffine77

Quote:
Originally posted by peter
umx are just s3m/it/xm containers, they all do work in Winamp if you only extract them with proper software.
How does this work/what does this mean? sorry, I'm kinda more of a networking/systems kinda guy... don't do much with the media but listen to it while I'm working So I need to copy my .umx files somewhere and convert them, huh?
Old 10th August 2002, 17:33   #13
X-Fixer
Major Dude

UMX files are archives (like TARs). You should extract files from .umx before you'll be able to play them in Winamp. Try this, or anything else you can find.
Old 12th August 2002, 13:41   #14
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Update (beta10)
code:

- IT
- recognises "end of song" in orders list
- displays format version instead of created with
- tempo setting reverted back (almost)
- fixed samples looping
- FAR
- fixed panning
- AMF
- more effects
- load 1.4 files now
- fixed panning
- MTM
- fixed comment reading
- fixed lame internal bug
- corrected loop info on samples (in info box)
- OKT loader (MPT sucks!)

It will be really cool, if someone will get a blow-up build and test new loaders on a large amount of modules. This is the only way to add support of all/most effects in loaders.

caffine77: if you have more FAR files, send them to me.
Old 13th August 2002, 08:41   #15
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
I will integrate it into 4PSetup.
RIV@NVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2002, 09:04   #16
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by RIV@NVX
I will integrate it into 4PSetup.
Great, but help with testing is a bit more appreciated
Old 13th August 2002, 12:31   #17
bigboo

hi

I found the original zip archive of Composer 669 v1.2: it contains the software, documentation and ten 669 demo files

I also found some modules in various formats and i don't know if there are played correctly with in_mod:

Name: modules.zip
Size: 188Kb
Decompressed Size: 316Kb
2 files in archive:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name | Size | Packed | Modified | Path
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEERBOTT.669 154 637 82 939 01/01/80 00:00
DARKRIDE.MTM 168 753 109 329 09/01/94 19:06

Name: stm.zip
Size: 409Kb
Decompressed Size: 724Kb
6 files in archive:

Name | Size | Packed | Modified | Path
AGONY.STM 102 773 68 000 23/10/92 20:20
CREAM.STM 167 436 88 116 23/10/92 20:20
DEATHSTA.STM 139 132 90 035 23/10/92 20:20
ICE_T.STM 42 017 21 474 23/10/92 20:20
MASQRADE.STM 94 880 46 899 23/10/92 20:20
TRANSF.STM 194 836 103 869 23/10/92 20:20

if you are interested i can send you the files
bigboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2002, 12:59   #18
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Cool. Upload composer and modules.zip somewhere (do not send by email!), I wanna look at them.

MTMs and STMs seem to be played all right.
Old 13th August 2002, 17:30   #19
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
I have only mods, so I can't test it.
RIV@NVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2002, 18:57   #20
bigboo

x-fixer i send a pm to you with the address to download the files

and if you want i can test mods i have with your special in_mod version just tell me where i can download it
Old 14th August 2002, 11:53   #21
Bedeox

bug in in_mod

This (and also Peter's) in_mod incorrectly plays
xm instrument envelopes.
I've made two identical modules in two formats
to show it.

They should sound indistinguishable.

They're attached and zipped.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug1.zip (33.0 KB, 609 views)
Bedeox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2002, 06:06   #22
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Update (beta11)
code:

- OKT
- more effects
- some changes in effects handling
- one small change, but I won't tell you :-p
- MOD
- added 2 more protracker-clones
- Old soundtrekker
- fixed rare bug
- MTM
- fixed rare crash
- made pitch slides linear, again
- XM
- fixed lame bug in panning envelopes
- fixed arpeggio bug in player
- fixed info box position saving

Blow up build (shows messages on unimplemented effects in extended669, FAR, AMF and OKT) here:
http://x-fixer.narod*****download/in_mod_bu.zip

It would be great if someone will test 669 with original composer and say how much it differs, especially songs with vibrato effect, like culture.669. (I can't run composer, because it won't run with emm, but my soundcards' legacy drivers require emm).

Bedeox: "my" and "peter's" plug-ins is basically the same one, based on MikMod (and most of my changes are to MikMod, not to plug-in). "Not correctly". LOL. It was absolutely ignored. Thanks for good report. And there was no need in sending me pm
Old 15th August 2002, 10:43   #23
bigboo

arf this is a mod that was working correctly before but is broken in beta11:
Attached Files
File Type: zip merde.zip (18.4 KB, 582 views)
Old 15th August 2002, 12:44   #24
bigboo

669 files are played differently (and I think better but I don't know) in modplug
for example with in_mod:
Beerbott.669 there are strange "click" in the sound (not in modplug)
Fonetag.669 tempo is much faster than in modplug

and for composer 669 maybe you can try DOS BOX, it's an emulator of old 386 with real mode and sounblaster 1.5 wich run on windows and linux:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=52551

voila that's all everything else is ok for me ;-)
Old 15th August 2002, 12:49   #25
X-Fixer
Major Dude

>arf this is a mod that was working correctly before but is broken in beta11

fixed. will be available with next beta.

>669 files are played differently

clicks are known. I'm trying to get rid of them with no success.
tempo is incorrect in MPT (also known).

DOS BOX won't help, because composer needs extended mode.
Old 15th August 2002, 15:58   #26
bigboo

hehe you're right dosbox doesn't work

but maybe this emulator would work:
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

it seems very complete! but I have not tried it yet
Old 15th August 2002, 20:31   #27
caffine77

not sure if this is something that's supposed to be disabled or not, but we used to be able to bring up info about the song for the .mtms (I used the alt-3, but I think it's also in the right click menu).

also, found an amf that says it's not supported (I think you're trying to track those down?) here's the link:
http://debian.attica.net.nz/kosmic.o...3/klfjpach.zip
but yay! I tried a bunch of amfs, and that was the *only* one that it didn't like

Sorry I've been MIA the last few days! I can't seem to find more .far files... grr! I searched both my main computers, and am looking around the net, but not having a lotta luck... and those RAR people that made a different .far format... yikes! However, while doing that, I ran across this page... http://fileformat.virtualave.net/ind_wave.htm it appears to have a bunch of specs, including .far. Didn't make much sense to me, but prolly would to you. Hope it's helpful I'm still lookin' for those .fars.

Hey, I haven't installed it here yet, but I noticed that Winamp3 plays .umx files natively... think that might sneak its way into this?

this is soo cool ttyl,

mich
Old 15th August 2002, 20:48   #28
caffine77

well, here are two .fars that I found, but neither seems to work (in modplug either), so I don't know if they're corrupt, invalid, or what. But just in case they're of any use to you, here is the link:

http://www.artificiallives.com/mods/modarch/far/

ttyl,

mich
Old 16th August 2002, 09:32   #29
X-Fixer
Major Dude

>not sure if this is something that's supposed to be disabled or not

for me info box works well on MTMs. What's wrong?

>also, found an amf that says it's not supported

now it's supported

>I tried a bunch of amfs

Please, look what versions of AMFs these were (look in info box).

>Hey, I haven't installed it here yet, but I noticed that

have you read peter's and my posts about umx (above)? if wa3 can play them this just means that it supports extraction from umx (like from zip/gzip/rar/etc that currently exists in wa2).

>well, here are two .fars that I found

thanx. they're both OK and play in MPT for me. and now in winamp, too

bigboo: can you give me file from the modules2.zip (starttrekker tune with title "song3") again, but WITHOUT others?

And may be it's good time to say. Guyes, I've made file detection proggy that detects over 150 modules formats. I know most of specs resources. Giving me link to one or sending me spec is absolutelly useless, unless you have something really rare (like AMF spec).
Old 16th August 2002, 10:40   #30
bigboo

ok this is song3.mod alone in his little zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip song3.zip (21.6 KB, 587 views)
Old 16th August 2002, 15:07   #31
bigboo

I found 2 mods not playing correctly (okt and xm) (you can download it where I posted the old zips)
modsoktxm.zip (soory its still a zip file i'll download winrar one day maybe ;-)

the xm one sounds better in modplug(in the begining of the file), the okt is maybe broken because it doesn't play correctly in deliplayer

I know that formats are not supported but tell me if you are interested i'll send them to you:
1 polytracker
2 digibooster
3 futurecomposer
11 med files

voila that's all the strange mods I have on my HD so now be happy I'll stop posting all the time here ! hehe
Old 16th August 2002, 16:38   #32
bigboo

in the in-mod preferences/mixer tab

1. size of the white boxes (for output format / max voices / mixing rate) may be reduced

2. there are 2 typo in the text under the interpolation checkbox:
improvement
efficiency

and no I am not boring LoL
Old 16th August 2002, 17:20   #33
caffine77

Quote:
>not sure if this is something that's supposed to be disabled or not

for me info box works well on MTMs. What's wrong?
Here's my setup, I just use the playlist editor, fyi... but when I'm trying to look at the info for an .mtm, I press the alt-3, and the playlist editor loses focus, but nothing else happens. It's like it knows it's supposed to do something, but doesn't. I just dled your in_mod.dll fixes a second ago too. I can get the info boxes if I put the original in_mod.dll back in, but not with the new ones. I'm on Win98SE, if that means anything to anything.

Quote:
>also, found an amf that says it's not supported

now it's supported
sure is... yay!

Quote:

>I tried a bunch of amfs

Please, look what versions of AMFs these were (look in info box).
Can't. info box isn't working for those either They all work, tho. But you wanna see how many versions we do know work, right? When I can get the info box working, I'll post

Quote:

>Hey, I haven't installed it here yet, but I noticed that

have you read peter's and my posts about umx (above)? if wa3 can play them this just means that it supports extraction from umx (like from zip/gzip/rar/etc that currently exists in wa2).
Yeah, I saw the postings about extracting them myself, but I was hoping that eventually there wouldn't be a need to do that - that the files would be able to played in their own place. Fundamentally, that's the whole reason for playlists, right? So you don't have to copy and rearrange your music files around your hard drive all the time? (and I spose so you can dictate the order in which the songs are played).

But anyways, never mind... Winamp3 doesn't actually support them, so I have no idea why it's even in the media preferences. I tried playing some in there, but it doesn't pay any attention to them, but seemed more than happy to (uselessly) associate them with itself. Enigmatic.

Quote:

>well, here are two .fars that I found

thanx. they're both OK and play in MPT for me. and now in winamp, too
I can't get 'em to play in winamp with your new in_mod.dll Am I still doing something wrong? Between this and the missing mod info boxes, I must be screwing something up... I'm just extracting the new in_mod.dll from the archive and putting it in my Winamp\Plugins directory. What else should I be doing? Would there be any reason to think that if I'm keeping all three versions (original, bu, and fixed) in Winamp\Plugings\old that this would cause a problem? In the Input Plug-ins box in Winamp, it says I'm using Nullsoft Module Decoder v 2.2.10 beta11. That's the latest and greatest, right?

Quote:

And may be it's good time to say. Guyes, I've made file detection proggy that detects over 150 modules formats. I know most of specs resources. Giving me link to one or sending me spec is absolutelly useless, unless you have something really rare (like AMF spec).
okey dokey. sorry 'bout that. wasn't sure if it'd help or not, but figured in case it did, I'd do what I can to help
Old 16th August 2002, 17:46   #34
X-Fixer
Major Dude

about last fixes (amf & far) - i was referencing to the version, that I have not uploaded yet ('cause I'm not going to upload new version every hour ).

about info box - try to open winamp.ini and delete info_x=, info_y= lines from it.

about wa3 and UMX read here.
Old 16th August 2002, 19:58   #35
caffine77

Quote:
about last fixes (amf & far) - i was referencing to the version, that I have not uploaded yet ('cause I'm not going to upload new version every hour ).

about info box - try to open winamp.ini and delete info_x=, info_y= lines from it.

about wa3 and UMX read here.
ah, well, then no prob about the .fars, I understand. I noticed that the date and time on the in_mods were pretty recent, so I thought they were the latest thing. I don't like to upload with every single little change too

Took out the in info lines in the winamp.ini, and still no avail. The playlist editor still loses focus, but nothing comes up. The info_x and y lines were both set to 0. There was also a stray "=0" without a var name, but removing that didn't help either. I can get an info box for mp3s, wavs, etc if that helps you at all. Just not the mtms, amfs, mods,... You don't think a whole new install would help anything do you? All I've done is change the in_mod.dll... I haven't molested it in any other way.

That's fine that UMX doesn't work in wa3, that's kinda outside of what we're working on here. I should have actually tried to play one in wa3 before I said something, but I've had such good luck with WA, I thought if it said it would work, then I didn't need to Still seems goofy to me that it'd be in the media preferences if it's not actually supported (ie. separate dl needed ). Maybe when wa4 comes out ... I only mentioned wa3 thinking that if they'd done it there, maybe it would be easy to bring into here. But since the former doesn't exist, the latter doesn't matter. ttyl,

mich
Old 17th August 2002, 08:48   #36
peter
ist death

X-Fixer: nice job, i'm only afraid that i will have some sort of trouble porting the new changes to Winamp3 (perhaps i'll redo entire wa3 port), i dont think i can give the sourcecode away, this time for real.
i'd love to move this to my forum, but i am afraid that vbb doesn't allow me to do that (i can put a sticky with link to this thread).
if you want weird mod files - sure, i have a bunch of them (been hacking Jazz Jackrabbit 2 .j2b format, managed to get through the compression but i still can't play what i get in output), i'll upload them somewhere later.
Old 17th August 2002, 11:05   #37
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Update (beta12)
code:

- Old soundtrekker
- refixed patterns counting
- AMF
- changes in effects handling
- FAR
- more effects
- fixed bug with high positions
- lame bug fixed
- MOD
- more protracker-like formats
- IT & XM
- fixed retrigger effect
- OKT
- reverted some things back
- fixed "fadeout with no envelope" bug in player
- clipping of info box position

bigboo: okt and xm, that you've sent, should play ok now, but, please, check it. and no, I do not need any files now.

caffine77: this should help with your info box probs. (btw, what winamp version do you use?)
Old 17th August 2002, 11:37   #38
peter
ist death

or better: any ideas WTF are .AM files ? (thats apparently what i've got)
they've got RIFF headers and stuff, i think they're possibly converted from impulsetracker (but i'm not sure)
Old 17th August 2002, 12:01   #39
X-Fixer
Major Dude

when asking about RIFF files it's good idea to give RIFF magic field. If it's "AMM2" I can give you specs. You can try my filetype prog - if I have any idea about a format it's very likely to be detected by it.
Old 17th August 2002, 12:21   #40
peter
ist death

the main riff type is 'AM ' (with 2 spaces, damn vbb). i've found a proggie to convert other mod formats to AM, i'm working on my own hack; since only one game (Jazz Jackrabbit 2) appears to be using it, i'll put an AM->IT converter into my new game music ripper.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist