Old 5th June 2009, 21:25   #1
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Fuck you, ACLU

Find something better to do than file lawsuits against people for expressing their RIGHT (and to them, god given) to practice religion. If you don't like god, just ignore it. I have no problem saying "One nation under god", or bowing my head at the dinner table. It's not like it hurts you. Respect other people's beliefs you fucking cock sucking tards.

I just can't understand why they are so hung up on this, it just pisses me off to no end to hear "The ACLU has filed a lawsuit against so and so for having the ten commandments on the wall in some school". How hard is it to NOT READ THEM? Besides most of them are pretty good rules to live by even if you're not religious.

I'd like to get some feedback from people on both sides.

p.s. I am an atheist, just so we're clear.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 21:48   #2
fc*uk

I would not go as far as you and call myself an atheist. I would say I am much more agnostic leaning more towards atheism. Went to catholic schools all my life, raised in the catholic church ... you get the idea.

But yeah, I totally agree with you. It's called freedom, start limiting what people can believe in, read, and write and you slowly take away all freedom. If you don't agree with it, then carry on and ignore it; don't launch your own personal vendetta against it.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 21:49   #3
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

a.) people make lawsuits for the money, thats why most of them are ridiculous while the serious ones get delayed

b.) sensitive conformist bitches (am i using the right expression?) who cant live with the fact that some people believe in god and the bible, just cant shut up... you know those folks, who bitch about any shit they dont like that interferes with their perception of life, like.. "i hate the bible so it should be banned"... you get the point.

c.) i dont believe in god, nor the big bang theory, i couldn't care less how life began, all i know is that i came from my parents making love (if you can call it that) and that there is life after death, that covers me.

d.) am i talking shit again?
kingo'mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 22:40   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
I would not go as far as you and call myself an atheist. I would say I am much more agnostic leaning more towards atheism. Went to catholic schools all my life, raised in the catholic church ... you get the idea.

But yeah, I totally agree with you. It's called freedom, start limiting what people can believe in, read, and write and you slowly take away all freedom. If you don't agree with it, then carry on and ignore it; don't launch your own personal vendetta against it.
Exactly my point. I don't like smelly old people. But you don't see me filing lawsuits against them just so I don't have to smell them. I just ignore them and go on my way.
Old 5th June 2009, 23:41   #5
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Tolerance is good only when it does not apply to these people.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 00:19   #6
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I am prejudiced against prejudice
Old 6th June 2009, 00:26   #7
fc*uk

Kingo': b). Yeah, unfortunately that is how things seem to work, especially in the US. Ignorance spawns hatred. "I don't understand this, therefore I don't like this; I hate this and it must be banned". Great ideology.

c). I did not believe in big bang either .... until I read numerous books on the topic. Keep in mind I am a chemist with a small inkling of an idea of how things actually work on truly a molecular level (I've gotten years of research in quantum mechanics under my belt). Anyway, after reading enough stuff of the subject, it is very plausible.

d). Do you ever do anything else??? But, no you are not.

I think we should all be prejudiced against prejudice, but sadly I don't think there would be many of us left if that were the case
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 00:59   #8
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

to continue with my righteous post there, this can go well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7V6FAoTLc
Old 6th June 2009, 02:00   #9
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Re: Fuck you, ACLU

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan
Find something better to do than file lawsuits against people for expressing their RIGHT (and to them, god given) to practice religion.
Nononono, you don't get it...

They file lawsuits against people expressing their right to practice Christianity...

You can put a Menorah by your window but for fuck's sake, don't put a Nativity Scene in your front yard...They don't even like it when stores display Christmas trees or even play Christmas music over the intercom...Granted the latter is annoying as it is during the months of November-December, if it's associated with Christmas, you can't have it in public, whether it's religious symbolism or non-religious corporatism...

Why doesn't the ACLU go after other religions, like Judaism and Islam? Because Christianity is the white man's religion, and God forbid that the white man has it's way after years of majority domination in America...

I realize not every Christian is a white person; Look at a Fili-Am Catholic like me...But does the ACLU make any sense itself? Because that's exactly what it's agenda points to...

I thought that America was the land of equality, not special treatment..."Civil liberties", my ass; I'm a racial minority and I see the ACLU as a pile of horseshit...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 02:21   #10
aFfLiCtEd
Major Dude

Quote:
p.s. I am an atheist, just so we're clear.
Hey I'm an athiest too! ... I swear to God I am!!
aFfLiCtEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 02:26   #11
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Re: Re: Fuck you, ACLU

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Nononono, you don't get it...

They file lawsuits against people expressing their right to practice Christianity...

You can put a Menorah by your window but for fuck's sake, don't put a Nativity Scene in your front yard...They don't even like it when stores display Christmas trees or even play Christmas music over the intercom...Granted the latter is annoying as it is during the months of November-December, if it's associated with Christmas, you can't have it in public, whether it's religious symbolism or non-religious corporatism...

Why doesn't the ACLU go after other religions, like Judaism and Islam? Because Christianity is the white man's religion, and God forbid that the white man has it's way after years of majority domination in America...

I realize not every Christian is a white person; Look at a Fili-Am Catholic like me...But does the ACLU make any sense itself? Because that's exactly what it's agenda points to...

I thought that America was the land of equality, not special treatment..."Civil liberties", my ass; I'm a racial minority and I see the ACLU as a pile of horseshit...
I'm not sure it's a total race thing, but to some maybe.
Old 6th June 2009, 04:06   #12
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

I haven't read every post, but my only comment is that in private space, you can do anything you want; anything public though, get your shitty ass religion out of it. Take your shitty commandments out of my public courthouses, get your damn religious shit off my money, keep your religious shit out of my government sponsored pledges and things. Get your stupid manger scenes out of my government buildings, and stop trying to impose your chirstian bullshit as being sponsored by my government.

I agree entirely with your personal freedoms, I'm not trying to force my atheism on you, but keep your superstitions as far away from me and my government as possible. If you want a religious state, go to medieval Europe, oh yah they were called the dark ages weren't they? Or hey, you could always head to saudia arabia and start practicing Islam, that seems to be a great example of a perfect religious state...

The reason the ACLU goes after christianity, is because the majority of old white politicians are christian, and they just can't seem to understand this concept of seperation of church and state. I agree entirely with stopping every attempt to force god into government, because that is one of the very few situations where the slippery slope argument holds. It's happened before, and if we stop watching those religious nut cases for a second, we are going to be declaring ourselves a christian nation, which we most certainly never were, and hopefully never will be if I have anything to say about it.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 04:42   #13
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by S-uper_T-oast
I agree entirely with your personal freedoms, I'm not trying to force my atheism on you, but keep your superstitions as far away from me and my government as possible. If you want a religious state, go to medieval Europe, oh yah they were called the dark ages weren't they? Or hey, you could always head to saudia arabia and start practicing Islam, that seems to be a great example of a perfect religious state...
You don't realize the amount of irony you doused on yourself with this paragraph, don't you?

The entire thing behind the "Separation of Church and State" mantra is that there can't be a state-sponsored religion, which there isn't in America; One of the defining things which separated Colonial America from Imperial Britain was that America wanted a freedom of religion while Britain imposed the Church of England on the colonies which was the state...

I don't care how many times you cite religions symbolism on government property, because there are two things you still cannot deny irregardless...

1. You cannot deny that despite a secular government many of America's principles were inspired by religion...That is our history and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it; America does not take it's religious influences and make it a case for the Crusades Part Deux, while at the same time, it respects it's citizen's differences in religious and non-religious practice...

2. You cannot deny that the government does not sanction a state-sponsored religion...As stated before, before democratic times, the Church of England was the state of Great Britain; All government decisions were based on what the church said, and that included a mandate that all British citizens be practicing Protestants...Does the American government make you practice Christianity? No. Does the American government ban practice of other religions like Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism? No. Are irreligious people persecuted by the state? No.

You also can not say America forces Christianity down it's citizens throats when so many in the American government have absolutely no respect for Christianity while ignoring any equally unfair prejudice against other religions...It's not even about "separation of church and state", it's just irrational hate against Christianity just because it's Christianity...

States like Saudi Arabia and Iran make no excuse that their government influences come from the religion of Islam, though at the same time, much different from America's government, Islam is the state-sponsored religion, sanctioned within all laws of government, and mandated to be practiced by all of it's citizens...The President of the United States does not answer to the Pope, while the President of Iran answers to the Ayatollah...Try being an open-practicing Jew in Iran and see how far that gets you...

You are absolutely right: Go move to Saudi Arabia for a summer, and then see how desperate you are to crawl back to a free-religion America...

There are 233 years to America's existence come July as an independent state, and there isn't one year to it's record where it's even remotely went to an entirely Christian-dominated government...It's not about the style, it's about the substance...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 05:37   #14
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
American
Communist
Lawyers
Union
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 09:41   #15
White Raven
Little Winged One

The way that I understand it is that people feel that those kind of institutions should have nothing to do with the idea of a big floaty man in the sky.

Christianity has a history of being very much intrusive and tramping on grounds it shouldn't -- So the unfortunate repercussions are that people react very strongly with the intent to nip that shit in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Many Christians are absolutely lovely people, especially those who take their religion with a grain of salt (As I think all religious people should.) Unfortunately, the shitty ones are the loudest. Just as in a retail job, the only customers you remember are the ones who give you hell, the same is true for everyday life. I remember each and every customer that gave me crap over something stupid, I remember the occasional very nice person standing out, but all those regular instances are long forgotten and glossed over.

Myself, I don't have a problem with respecting others' beliefs, more than once I have said grace for a family I was visiting, or have attended church with friends of the family on occasions that were important to them.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 12:25   #16
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

toast, you sound exactly like my late father... he used to mention that saudi shit when i stole stuff he told me that there you would get your hands chopped off.

please dont mix culture with religion, its two different things, i think nobody tries to force religion on people, its the fact that there are people who take offence with you either being a jew, christian, athiest, budhist... you name it... ok... i guess you can call it racism then

racism to me is fear of something different, seeing a black man and calling him the N word is not racism, condoning black people\certain religious people because they are different than you, thats racism.

now i admit, i hate religious people myself, but not because they believe in a certain god, i couldn't care less of what god you believe in, here in israel we are divided into 2 groups:

a.) "hilonim" - not exactly pronounced like that, but close - its the people who don't practice any traditions that the other side has, you can say those people are neutral, each person in that group can believe in a god, but leave it at that

b.) "datiim" - same - religious people that live and breath knowing that god will bring them salvation and pray for god on every single fucking thing, not only that, but their nazi-like behaviour isn't any better, they are brainwashed that any person that isn't them is the devil, "dont speak to them, dont help them, they bring nothing but trouble" ... ... they are good people, but they just need a change of mind and fast.
Old 6th June 2009, 13:11   #17
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
I haven't read every post, but my only comment is that in private space, you can do anything you want; anything public though, get your shitty ass religion out of it. Take your shitty commandments out of my public courthouses, get your damn religious shit off my money, keep your religious shit out of my government sponsored pledges and things. Get your stupid manger scenes out of my government buildings, and stop trying to impose your chirstian bullshit as being sponsored by my government.

The reason the ACLU goes after christianity, is because the majority of old white politicians are christian, and they just can't seem to understand this concept of seperation of church and state. I agree entirely with stopping every attempt to force god into government, because that is one of the very few situations where the slippery slope argument holds. It's happened before, and if we stop watching those religious nut cases for a second, we are going to be declaring ourselves a christian nation, which we most certainly never were, and hopefully never will be if I have anything to say about it.
YEP! I have to agree with you. And KOM...I wouldn't call any black person the N word because it is racist. I don't want to be called a WOP, Limey, Greaseball, any of it and I don't want to call someone by what their background is..I have a better repertoire of rude!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 13:42   #18
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
I have yet to see the point of this argument, just let people get on with their little lives as they see fit. It has no bearing, benefit or disadvantage to you whatsoever. If I worried about such trivial matters, as well as work and REAL concerns, I'd worry all fucking day.

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 13:57   #19
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^Freedom to not worship is not trivial to me, cooky.
And I believe in God. But my idea of God is not everyone's idea of God, nor should it be.
Old 6th June 2009, 15:00   #20
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

"The ACLU has filed a lawsuit against so and so for having the ten commandments on the wall in some school". How hard is it to NOT READ THEM?

The simple point is that there will be no establishment of a state religion. Putting one religion's doctrine up in public over any of the dozen of other religions practiced by people in their churches, temples, living rooms, etc... is showing prejudice in favor of that particular religion and a defacto sanctioning of that religion over all others. Our constitution expressly forbids this. Thank you ACLU for protecting our constitution.

When a Menorah or a star of David or a passage from the Koran are put up in a public school classroom or the lobby of a civic building, they will. I guarantee it.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 17:10   #21
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Fuck you,STFU
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 17:38   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
The simple point is that there will be no establishment of a state religion. Putting one religion's doctrine up in public over any of the dozen of other religions practiced by people in their churches, temples, living rooms, etc... is showing prejudice in favor of that particular religion and a defacto sanctioning of that religion over all others.
If the suppression of religion in schools wasn't to promote the doctrine of hedonists, communists and atheists, it would be acceptable.

There is a state religion and the ACLU are it's priests. I'm sure if someone put up a sign saying "There is no God" the ACLU would be defending it as free speech. "Jesus Loves You" would get a lawsuit.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 17:47   #23
White Raven
Little Winged One

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
If the suppression of religion in schools wasn't to promote the doctrine of hedonists, communists and atheists, it would be acceptable.
No one in our school was ever told 'There is no God.'
No one in our school was ever told 'You are not allowed to pray.'
I have never heard of the above two incidences happening to someone in a first-world country in recent times.

They are taught about all sorts of different religions and left to make their own choices, which is how it should be. No one is stopping them from praying, it's just not a mandated thing anymore.

If that's the "Doctrine" of atheists, hedonists, and communists, 'Learn about everything and believe what you want, pray to whomever you choose if you choose to, but don't make anyone else do the same' Then I'm all for that doctrine.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 18:13   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

You are from Canada.

Quote:
'Learn about everything and believe what you want, pray to whomever you choose if you choose to, but don't make anyone else do the same'
In the US, it's closer to "All religion is evil", at least from the vantage point of our liberals and the ACLU.

Thou shalt have no Gods before atheistic hedonism. The point is not to separate church from state, the point is to bash religion.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 6th June 2009 at 18:33.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 19:43   #25
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I didn't bash religion. I didn't bash God(as one may know it to be). But I don't believe The Ten Commandments should be in the school hallway, and that any form of God in public / government places should exist nor school prayer. I'm a hippie; send me to hell.
Old 6th June 2009, 19:52   #26
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Quote:

Oh, you said the magic word. The truth of the matter is there is no such thing as "separation of church and state". You find it in the constitution and I'll suck your dick.

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...lcsm_index.htm
Old 6th June 2009, 20:12   #27
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Linked to that noted commie hippie, Thomas Jefferson:
From wikipedia:
"Separation of church and state is a political and legal doctrine that government and religious institutions are to be kept separate and independent from each other.[1] The term most often refers to the combination of two principles: secularity of government and freedom of religious exercise.[2]

The phrase separation of church and state is generally traced to the letter written by Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to the Danbury Baptists, in which he referred to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution as creating a "wall of separation" between church and state. [3] The phrase was then quoted by the United States Supreme Court first in 1878,[4] and then in a series of cases starting in 1948.[5] This led to increased popular and political discussion of the concept.

The concept has since been adopted in a number of countries, to varying degrees depending on the applicable legal structures and prevalent views toward the proper role of religion in society. A similar principle of laïcité has been applied in France and Turkey, while some socially secularized countries such as Norway have maintained constitutional recognition of an official state religion. The concept parallels various other international social and political ideas, including secularism, disestablishment, religious liberty, and religious pluralism."

Oh, and no charge, I already have a wife.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 20:25   #28
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Yes, which says that the Government will not establish any official religion. It doesn't say that all religion should be removed from Government. The entire Government isn't Christian. There are people who practice many different religions in Government (including Atheists).

Like I said previously. The phrase "Separation of Church and State" does not appear in any part of the constitution.

Quote:
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1

Where does that say there will be no religion in Government?
Old 6th June 2009, 21:13   #29
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

No! You can worship Queen Beverly or any God as you know it, in any House Of Worship, but you cannot put Queen Beverly's picture or image up in a class room or court room or any Government run institution.

And that should be just the beginng of what one can and cannot do under the law. Uh, see A Man For All Season's.
From A Man For All Seasons 1966
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

Last edited by Widdykats; 6th June 2009 at 21:34.
Old 6th June 2009, 21:50   #30
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Quote:
Oh, you said the magic word. The truth of the matter is there is no such thing as "separation of church and state". You find it in the constitution and I'll suck your dick.

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...lcsm_index.htm
Quote:
Wikipedia
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
I agree, that is as close as it comes, I guess that is worthy of a reach-around at least?

Again, my main concern with the entire issue is that this is one of the areas where the slippery slope argument holds valid. I find it hilarious how people bash atheists as godless hedonists (as someone in this thread seemed to find a reason to) and say that any instance of my protecting myself from their inane superstitions is somehow harming them. You give Jerry Falwell one chance, and he'd have every gay person, every atheist, every person who doesn't agree with him 100% lined up for the new inquisition. They accuse us of using subversive practices to force our godless ways upon their innocent children that they have been poisoning with their ghost stories since the day they where born. Yet it's the atheist hedonists who are somehow hurting them so much.

I also love the different associations between a person and the persons beliefs. Where in this thread have I made a singular personal attack against someone with religious beliefs? I have repeatedly stated my own thoughts about the beliefs they hold, (inane superstitions, etc etc) but have I once said anything specific about the person holding those beliefs? Give a religious person two seconds and they will call the atheist personally as a terrible immoral person just because they don't hold the same superstition that they do.

Last edited by S-uper_T-oast; 6th June 2009 at 22:12.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 02:34   #31
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Like I said previously. The phrase "Separation of Church and State" does not appear in any part of the constitution.
That's a bullshit argument and you know it. Just because it doesn't explicitly say "separation of church and state" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Precedent has basically established that the 1st Amendment DOES mean that church and government need to stay separate. Furthermore, writings by Thomas Jefferson make it clear that separation was the intent of the 1st Amendment.

There is no explicit "right to privacy" in the Constitution either, but we do have one - it's guaranteed by the 4th and 10th amendments.