Old 10th October 2009, 12:31   #1
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Help(again) Nero9trial Vista and Moi

I couldn't get Nero9(the trial came very loaded) to set the speed to burn. I tried "The express", I tried ISO(Rom Burning. I tried compilation cda...I tried all I knew.
I have a Gateway SX 2800, HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM-GH40F with Hitachi disk drive. Also when loaded my compter kept shutting down. I reloaded IE8 and checked drive with Fixya.
Anyone?

I would purchase Nero, if I could get it to work. My system kept running "disk at once at 8x1200" I wanted 16x2400. This is a relatively new machine.
*Nutz*
Oh, thanks for any help.

Last edited by Widdykats; 10th October 2009 at 12:55.
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 16:04   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

Does it burn and not make coasters? Nero will figure out the burn speed which is reasonable given it's own testing of the drive, media etc. You changing that is more likely to create coasters.

I wouldn't expect to get advertised burn speeds but you'll find that all media is not created equal. Some media works better with some drives than others.

If you just take Nero's word for the settings, you'll almost never make a coaster. It doesn't do any good to make a coaster, even if you can do it faster.

It's 5 minutes, instead of 3 ... oh well...

It wouldn't be unreasonable to burn at 8X on a 16X burner. I had some super-cheapo media that Nero said 6X.

One more hint. Don't use DVD-R, use DVD+R disks.

EDIT: If you are having problems with the Nero program itself and it's causing problems especially after you have done multiple or interrupted installs, you'll need to run the "nero clean tool" program on the nero web site. Nero has problems uninstalling with the standard windows uninstaller. Run the cleaner and then install again.

http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html

Last edited by rockouthippie; 10th October 2009 at 16:24.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 17:03   #3
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Thanks for replying ROH! I actually wanted to burn slower than my Gateway, Vista, Microsoft(whatever decides this) I wanted to burn at 16x2400. But, my program(Nero) kept going to disk at once 8x1200 and then failed.
Also exployer kept "throwing up" and crashing. I'm glad I still have my old gateway and nero. That always did what I asked it. And yeah, I got coasters. I bought Sony Audio CD-R disks and btw, on this computer I only have one slot for burning or playing cds. On my old machine I could format CDA , I really couldn't do that and then I reinstalled IE-8 and Nero. I went to Fixya(some microsoft site recomended by CD Freaks website, and it said my drive and disks were ok..but I dunno. Sometimes it would read my disks, sometimes not. This is almost a brand new machine.
I hate Vista..I hate it. I don't want to use my Drive as listed above, I'd rather use my own software product. But, I'm not going to pay for it, if it doen't work on this machine or Vista. any thoughts where I'm screwing up.
Thanks for the trouble.
Oh, thanks for the link
I'm reinstalling trial
Now there are two patches?

Last edited by Widdykats; 10th October 2009 at 18:48.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:16   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

You wanted to make an audio CD. It's possible that since the new machine has a DVD burner that you missed how to make a CD. Having a DVD burner in the machine will give you extra options in the menu.

In Nero Burning rom... under File-->New, you'll see a drop down menu that selects CD or DVD and the various types of each. Having selected to make a CD, you'll see audio CD as one of the types. Once you have selected that type of project, you can drag n' drop MP3's onto the disk and there is a time meter at the bottom to show record time up to 80 minutes. The MP3's will be converted automatically to CD format and the disk will burn.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:12   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Well, as I may have mentioned, I used Nero Express, (Ya' know the one that says "Do you want to make an audio cd?)
And I used Nero Rom( to do Compilation because that had a cda option and something called simulated writing(?) and what happened was I had burned at the machines rate, at 8x1200 and it would "fail". I downloaded twice the nero program and it had some problems..so I used the removal tool and ccleaner twice. I still got crap on ccleaner and finally it ran clean. Something was happening because the patch that nero sent me was a "third party Microsoft CRT." I don't know what that is; and one of theirs. I do know my drive and whole computer seems to hang. I am so disappointed. Thank you for the help. The INCD helped me find a program in Nero called disk speed and disk check.
That part was good, I ruined another Cd. Have a Coaster.

It's almost like Nero isn't talking to my machine, if that makes sense..
Old 11th October 2009, 07:21   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

Simulated burning is a test w/o burning a CD.... CRT is "C" runtime.". That shouldn't be an issue. Hmmm... 8X would be a DVD speed. I would expect a DVD burner to have CD capability of 48X CD speed. It would probably burn at 24X CD speed or more (because of reliability testing).

I have an express version of Nero around here somewhere. It came with my DVD burner, but I've never tried it because I bought a license for Nero 7 ultimate. It has worked with Vista and XP.

Have you tried making a data disk with the windows folder stuff they have for it? It won't make audio CD's, but it should test the basic functionality of the writer.
Old 11th October 2009, 07:37   #7
dlichterman
Forum King

Maybe try another software? As horrible as the name is, CDBurnerXP worked the few times I needed to burn a quick data disc. Not sure how audio discs are :/

http://cdburnerxp.se/

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 09:12   #8
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I have burned a data disk, with Cyberlink2go, I'm not liking the progran, and thanks all, and thanks for the link
dlichterman.
Downloaded the Program , Looks nice and small and compact, and it says it burns Audio, Well, God knows I have nothhing to lose.
Old 11th October 2009, 11:24   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

It occurs to me that I don't own a CD only player any more. The one in the car plays MP3. You did know that almost all DVD players will play MP3 CD and CD? That's what I use to play an audio CD on the stereo that I haven't put on the hard disk. The Toshiba one I have in my bedroom will play MP3's burned on DVD too.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:05   #10
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Well, I downloaded The CDXp burn program..It checks everything.. I inserted a disk and went to write and the program crashed. I'm so pissed. I hope it's not hardware, although, Van had a fix it for a year everything plan..I just don't want to disconnect what I set up and drag it over to the geek squad.
Old 11th October 2009, 20:04   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

This sounds like a fried driver.

Control panel-->Classic View-->System--> Device Manager

Find the driver for the drive. It's under DVD/CD drives. Right click and uninstall. Reboot.

If that doesn't work, I'd think you probably have a bad drive.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:35   #12
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Will try. Thanks again. *fuck*
Old 11th October 2009, 21:58   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

When you test again don't use any software. Just use the drag and drop vista burning thing to test. It'll narrow down the problem to the OS or your aftermarket software.
Old 11th October 2009, 22:59   #14
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Yeah, good iea..Will try tomorrow.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:36   #15
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by dlichterman
Maybe try another software? As horrible as the name is, CDBurnerXP worked the few times I needed to burn a quick data disc. Not sure how audio discs are :/

http://cdburnerxp.se/
An update: This lil' program works great on Windows7. I have successfully burned two disks. Thanks very much!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions