Old 3rd July 2009, 19:09   #1
Danez

Media Library not updating anymore (5.56)

I updated to Winamp 5.56 and now have issues with updating the media library.

I have one folder added to the "media library watched folders".

With 5.552 it was:
When changing idv3 tags, adding idv3 2.3 to files with only idv3 1 or adding idv3 1 to files with only idv3 2.3 and manually rescanning afterwards, all changes were recognized and media library refreshed and showed new cover.

Now 5.56:
Nothing happens, Nothing changes after rescan.

With 5.552 it was:
When renaming files in folders being watched by winamp and manually rescanning, not found files were deleted and new files were added.

Now 5.56:
Nothing happens, Nothing changes after rescan. Deleted files still stay in MediaLibrary and new files were not found.

After manually flushing the database in options and rescanning, it finally found the new files, but still with old idv3 tags and no cover, but files have one for sure.

Tried to restart but does not help.

Something very strange happens here.

Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Creative Audigy
C2D 8400 / 2GB Ram
Plugins:
MessengerAmp 2.3

All watched directories reside in userhomedir.

Looking forward to a solution.

Last edited by Danez; 3rd July 2009 at 19:38.
Danez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 18:05   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
yeah, i put some of this in the announce thread, i like the speed of the new scanner but i think it is missing some robustness.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 13:13   #3
Danez

Ok i found the issue for #1:

Covers were embedded as image/bmp and not as image/jpeg.

It seems with Firefox 3.5 direct drag&drop to mp3tag does not work anymore correctly.
Danez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 00:55   #4
araxhiel

Yeah, I have the same problem with the Media Library.

With #1 -- I had that problem too, but I look at Danez's answer and I "almost" solve that problem (another point to keep in mind is the fact that *sometimes* the jpg dont have a *correct* parameters (like color, bit depth, etc...) and, with a little edition on the image, the problem could be solved)

With #2 -- I still have the same problem. I need to manually flush my Database and add again *all* my files... (Fortunately I use 5.56 in my lap, where I have a very small collection (<2000 files); I cant imagine If that problem are present in my Desktop, where the collection is a llitle bigger than that (>23000 files))

Any solution?

My Lap:
Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit
1GB Ram
Realtek High Definition Audio

Plugins:
Winamp Essential (all the plugins of the pack)
APE Decoder
DFX 9
araxhiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 21:52   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

you could simply select all files and then tell winamp to remove dead files. thats what it used to do automatically, and will again i'm sure with the next ver.

remember to switch category too to refresh if needed, (lefthand side).

--
Old 26th October 2009, 01:34   #6
araxhiel

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
you could simply select all files and then tell winamp to remove dead files. thats what it used to do automatically, and will again i'm sure with the next ver.

remember to switch category too to refresh if needed, (lefthand side).
OK, that make my life "more easy" but... I still have the problem the media library (don't add *all* my files...) still there are some files that I need to add manually...

BTW... WinAmp (from 5.5x to last version) has issues with SP3 or Visual Studio 2005 Suite (or both)?

I ask because, I have 2 PC's with Win XP Pro SP3 (one through Windows Update (with VS2005), the other one by installing Windows SP3 (without VS2005)) and both OS are "untouched" versions (or, in other words, both aren't unattended versions) and Winamp crashes randomly in both PC's (that don't happened with SP2 or SP1 (lol))

Another thing... there are... emm... specific settings (I don't know how to call it) in the MP3 files in order to avoid crashes? I ask that, because I have several MP3's with VBR and CBR settings, and I found that some of the VBR MP3's makes the Winamp crash (when changing song)... or is just a coincidence???
Old 26th October 2009, 01:40   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

i can't say for sure, but chances are your problems are particular to you, not winamp.

check your tags with mp3tag. you don't need any tags other than id3v2.3 tags, so i always delete other tags.

--
Old 26th October 2009, 01:48   #8
araxhiel

So, the VRB and CBR don't interfere with nothing... just the tags?

Thats weird... I think that Winamp don't likes me ='(

I use MP3Tag to manage my tags (I use the Smart Views to organize my files for Country, Genre, Type of Album, etc.. and all of that info are stored in the Comment Tag)... APEv2 are a valid tag for WinAmp?
Old 26th October 2009, 01:54   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

winamp supports CBR and VBR. i can't explain why u have crashes, i don't but i have very few VBRs.

if winamp doesn't "see" all your files on a scan, its likely due to tag errors. i think winamp supports ape, but i don't use it. u might need to delete ALL your tags and reapply them from scratch in order for winamp to see them on a scan.

--
Old 26th October 2009, 02:43   #10
araxhiel

Well... maybe I'll try that, MrSinatra, thank you for all the support ;-D

Any way, I need to live with the crashes =P... perhaps, WinAmp smell that I'm a Amarok-GNU/LInux User and refuse to collaborate with me (hahaha!)

Nah... I'm (NOT) kidding -.-' I hope that someday a version of WA works fine to me...
Old 31st October 2009, 20:30   #11
araxhiel

BTW: I recently discovered that when I'm using the WinAmp3 skin instead of Bento, the Random Crashes almost dissapear :O

I'm still testing in both PC's
Old 2nd January 2010, 07:43   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

in reply to your posts above...

are you using winamp with windows, or in linux under wine or something like that?

again, i can't explain your crashes, or why it would matter if you use bento or not, or spanish or not. perhaps bento is not as bug free b/c it is newer, and perhaps the locale is not as bug free, b/c it is newer and not the common default.

i would suggest you start keeping track of which files are playing when it crashes, it MAY be the files that cause it, but all this is just guessing.

i also would suggest that you stop using APE and use id3 instead, b/c if u have crashes its always best to use more "common" default things/settings to try to eliminate them.

the files might also have bad "lame headers" which is technical info in the file regarding the encoding.

i also don't store art in the tags, (only in folders) and perhaps bad artwork in the tags is causing the issues?

anyway, i'd use mp3tag to delete all tag types except id3v2.3 from my files, as long as i had made sure they had 2.3 versions first.

--
Old 2nd January 2010, 07:45   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

also make sure you are using 5.571

--
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:51   #14
araxhiel

Quote:
also make sure you are using 5.571
Yeah im using 5.571 in Windows XP SP3, in GNU/Linux I can't make it work, even with Wine or CrossOver WinAmp has some failures. (The reference on Linux was only a bad Joke xD I use both systems on my PC's, but, besides Starcraft, I don't use any Win Software in Linux)

About the APE tags, well this is my newest experience:

Yesterday I make a clean installation of WA 5.571 in a "brand new" WinXP Pro SP3 (I mean with "brand new" thae fact that is a full reinstallation of the OS, so, there don't exists old config files or something like that), obviously, with Spanish locale, and what happen when WA trying to load the 3rd track?... tada... Crash!... So, what I do? Simply, uninstall the Spanish locale, restart WA and play again THE SAME 3 songs and nothing happened, it works smothly as supossed to do. Despite the fact that those song had APEv2 Tags.

Quote:
i also don't store art in the tags, (only in folders) and perhaps bad artwork in the tags is causing the issues?
Which/What are the parameters that make an artwork is a bad artwork? I mean, I'm trying to make a kind of "standar" about this point. I rezise them, crop them and save them as a new file, always using the default profile of (can I say the name?) Photoshop CS4. Actually, it solves some of my crashes. Why? Because, some artworks (in my ignorance) I store them even when they have a size above the 2 Mb! And what happened? When WA make the effort of trying load that song, guess what? It crashes. So I noticed about that and start to change these artworks and it worked (that applies in MP3 as in M4A/ACC/MP4).

Quote:
the files might also have bad "lame headers" which is technical info in the file regarding the encoding.
How can I detect/solve that?

Another thing: where I can post about a "possible bug" in AAC/M4A/MP4 playback?
Old 5th January 2010, 15:00   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by araxhiel
About the APE tags, well this is my newest experience:

Yesterday I make a clean installation of WA 5.571 in a "brand new" WinXP Pro SP3 (I mean with "brand new" thae fact that is a full reinstallation of the OS, so, there don't exists old config files or something like that), obviously, with Spanish locale, and what happen when WA trying to load the 3rd track?... tada... Crash!... So, what I do? Simply, uninstall the Spanish locale, restart WA and play again THE SAME 3 songs and nothing happened, it works smothly as supossed to do. Despite the fact that those song had APEv2 Tags.
this would suggest the problem is with the spanish locale, as you said. post a bug report for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by araxhiel Which/What are the parameters that make an artwork is a bad artwork? I mean, I'm trying to make a kind of "standar" about this point. I rezise them, crop them and save them as a new file, always using the default profile of (can I say the name?) Photoshop CS4. Actually, it solves some of my crashes. Why? Because, some artworks (in my ignorance) I store them even when they have a size above the 2 Mb! And what happened? When WA make the effort of trying load that song, guess what? It crashes. So I noticed about that and start to change these artworks and it worked (that applies in MP3 as in M4A/ACC/MP4).
i don't know what the limits are to winamps ability to handle artwork. size? resolution? etc... i simply don't know. trial and error to find out. but the bigger it is, the more likely it won't work, as you now realize.

i use another program called squeezebox server, (that runs on linux as well btw), and it crashes if data is in the EXIF field (i think thats the right name) of a jpeg. it is legit to have data in that field, so why does it crash? b/c SBS uses "gd" to handle art, and gd fails when this circumstance exists. gd is flawed, and that flaw is now part of sbs. so maybe something similar is also at work with winamp, which would be a concurrent but separate issue from size limitations.

Quote:
Originally posted by araxhiel How can I detect/solve that?
i have no experience with lame header scanners/repairers, but if you google it (or wiki it) you can find lots of info.

Quote:
Originally posted by araxhiel Another thing: where I can post about a "possible bug" in AAC/M4A/MP4 playback? [/B]
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=66558

--
Old 8th January 2010, 02:58   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

btw, that SBS bug only affects the windows flavor: