Old 6th November 2011, 14:03   #41
bbr

Over 4 years.

Surely more people have this issue?

If anything, I nominate this as the longest standing bug in WinAmp history.
bbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 13:25   #42
bbr

A few months ahead again, perhaps time for an update?
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:36   #43
gull_fish

bump. same issue. doesn't stay on top when 'always on top' is selected. reproducable 100% of the time. problem is reduced when 'disable always on top while fullscreen applications are focused' is not selected. wondering if development is close to an end. have always favoured winamp over all other mp3 players for the last decade or so, so would be sad if this were the case.
gull_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:22   #44
jakeyboy3457

bloody annoying

Winamp continually fails to stay on top and the programmers have had this problem for how may years?
Started using Spder Pro and may stay with it.
jakeyboy3457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 21:40   #45
bbr

Installed version 5.62(x86) June 28 - 2012
The problem _still_ persists.

Easy to reproduce as always.
We're on year 5 since the initial report now... C'mon guys, how long must we wait?
Old 9th December 2013, 09:43   #46
bbr

Yearly bump, or something like that.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:51   #47
DrO

you've clearly not seen all of the other threads and news announcements...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 10:41   #48
bbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
you've clearly not seen all of the other threads and news announcements...
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what we should see there - as even after installing the latest .666 update - WinAmp still forgets always on top after using youtube full screen.
Old 20th July 2014, 12:12   #49
Aminifu
Forum King

Looking at the date of DrO's post, he was probably referring to the announced shutdown of Winamp by AOL. The last minute sale to Radionomy occurred later.

Anyway, I'm not able to reproduce your issue. Version 5.666.3516 stays on top for me. A fullscreen youtube video stays underneath unless the GP "Disable always on top while fullscreen applications are focused" option is enabled. Maybe you should use the Winamp Info Tool (link below) and provide an extended report of your configuration.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

I also don't understand why you would want Winamp to stay on top of something else that is supposed to be displaying fullscreen. It defeats the purpose of fullscreen, imo.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 21:52   #50
DrO

when there are multiple things trying to be on top at the same time, the z-order of the windows can be affected which can lead to issues.

likewise i cannot replicate this issue (which is not the longest outstanding Winamp bug by a long way) and is why it's tricky to make a fix (especially when all of the 'me too' replies never provide any of the required information needed when reporting bugs (which is why the issue has not been taken seriously as trying to blindly fix something without even the minimum of an info tool report from people is just a waste of development resources when it's like going down a rabbit hole to even try to fix the unknown).

and as was noted in the reply above, my comment was made when Winamp was going to be closed (which didn't happen) but was pretty much but confirmed as happening when my reply had been made (as a lot changed in the few weeks after that 9th Dec post).

so for me to even attempt to consider looking into the issue, an info tool report is absolutely required as a starting point -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins
Old 21st July 2014, 17:56   #51
bbr

Tool downloaded, but...
It's saying winamp isn't installed - so ill have to troubleshoot that first before I can give you any useful information.
Old 28th July 2014, 00:30   #52
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
Tool downloaded, but...
It's saying winamp isn't installed - so ill have to troubleshoot that first before I can give you any useful information.
There is now a new public test version available, which should handle weird Winamp setups better.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....328932&page=17
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:35   #53
bbr

Here you go:
- http://www.filedropper.com/winampinforeport08-23-2014
Hope it helps.
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:11   #54
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi bbr,

If you use the advanced reply editor you can attach a zip file to a post. There is no need to use a separate file sharing site for this, unless the file you want to attach exceeds the various file type size limits (which yours doesn't).

You have not installed the replacements for the 2 plug-ins linked to in DrO's signature in post #50 above ("required plug-in updates"). They may have nothing to do with your issue, but install them anyway and see.

The only way I can get what you're describing is if I have the "Disable always on top while fullscreen applications are focused" option on the main General Preferences tab (at the bottom) checked. When that option is not checked, Winamp stays on top while playing Youtube videos fullscreen.

Will you state why you would want to do this, since it makes Winamp block being able to see part of the fullscreen video?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 28th August 2014, 17:01   #55
bbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi bbr,

If you use the advanced reply editor you can attach a zip file to a post. There is no need to use a separate file sharing site for this, unless the file you want to attach exceeds the various file type size limits (which yours doesn't).

You have not installed the replacements for the 2 plug-ins linked to in DrO's signature in post #50 above ("required plug-in updates"). They may have nothing to do with your issue, but install them anyway and see.

The only way I can get what you're describing is if I have the "Disable always on top while fullscreen applications are focused" option on the main General Preferences tab (at the bottom) checked. When that option is not checked, Winamp stays on top while playing Youtube videos fullscreen.

Will you state why you would want to do this, since it makes Winamp block being able to see part of the fullscreen video?
Yea, that one is checked here.
I'm quite fine with winamp being in the background while youtube is fullscreen.
The problem is, that it goes in the background when youtube is done, and stays there no matter what. (behind firefox, chrome etc)

And, even if you then click winamp to bring it to the foreground, as soon as you click anything else - winamp will go back to being in the background. e.g. it forgets the "always on top" option is checked, "most of the time" - not always. Hence I can see it's annoying to debug.

The annoying bit being - it does not "always" happen with games either.
For example you start a game fullscreen (world of warcraft, diablo 3, guildwars, path of exile for example), it's fine when you leave fulll-screen mode "most of the time", but not 100% of the time.

If it was always wrong, or always ok - it wouldn't really be a huge issue, but since it's ok sometimes, and not working as expected the other half - it's a very annoying bug that's been around for many years now. If Winamp simply did a check every 10 seconds to see whether it should have been "always on top", but for some reason isn't currently on top - make it on top. That would already fix the issue I suspect.
Old 28th August 2014, 17:18   #56
DrO

messing around with window z-orders (especially in the manner you're mentioning) is generally not a suggested practice to do as you then end up with other programs trying to do the same thing and then you're back to the same point of issue as before.

additionally there are going to be times when even if Winamp is set as a 'top-level' window, if other 'top-level' windows come about, it's down to the Windows window manager to determine who gets put where and i've got to suspect that that is somewhat of what you're calling out as a Winamp bug, which if that is what is going on, it's pretty much out our control and tbh then trying to hack things (as would have to be done) is more likely to cause even more problems than it solves.

the preference option is enough of a hack as it is and ideally i'd like to remove it as anything to do with it just seems to cause issues and bug reports for something that generally cannot be resolved as Winamp can control most things within how it runs, but what the OS and other programs do is not something that can (or should be messed with) and thus is why it's such an intermittent issue and not something that can really be resolved afaik.
Old 28th August 2014, 18:47   #57
Aminifu
Forum King

Furthermore, the update Microsoft released today to fix the earlier August update, that caused problems for some people, has the potential to further mess with window z-orders.

Read "Know issue 2" in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651

Old 28th August 2014, 18:58   #58
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
And, even if you then click winamp to bring it to the foreground, as soon as you click anything else - winamp will go back to being in the background. e.g. it forgets the "always on top" option is checked, "most of the time" - not always. Hence I can see it's annoying to debug.
It's not enough to just click on Winamp to bring it to the foreground. You need to double click the "Always on top" button to reestablish the mode. With that GP option selected maybe Winamp should visually clear the "Always on top" button and menu option (if possible) when something else takes the focus, to lessen the confusion.

Anyway, when something else is allowed to take the focus (or takes it anyway), this is the best you can do to make Winamp stay on top again for a time.

Old 28th August 2014, 20:39   #59
DrO

that KB article is very much like this issue.
Old 29th November 2014, 01:01   #60
tsunami

I just recently started using On screen notification and have this bugg to.

For instance I will be playing Swtor in windowed (fullscreen) and have Winamp set to always show notification in the Top (center) with Alpha fade, Winamp is SET to always on top and no disable on fullscreen is not checked.

7 times out 10 Those notification show play/stop/song info etc just dont show up top,

Now if i have now if i dont have swtor open it always show the notification
installing hot fix KB2998984 does not fix this issue either which it has nothing to do with it.

Winamp it self that is the issue, as I have logitech setpoint on my pc set to show a on screen notification at all times when i mute/volume change etc, and it works perfectly fine in all programs fullscreen/windowed (fullscreen). and if it was cause thehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651 that caused it it would screw up setpoint onscreen notification to which it did not. and as mention above KB2998984 hotfix dont fix the issue.

And to go further into that it issue rests with winamp i can go install http://www.aimp. ru aimp player and its notification on screen work just fine over swtor in windowed(fullscreen).

Considering winamp is in limbo land atm we just gona have to wait till next verison comes out,
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 01:09   #61
DrO

and again, no specific information about the details of your install -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins and still i cannot replicate the issue so i have nothing to go on as a starting point when i don't know what people's Winamp setups actually are. as for comparing one player to another, they're completely different implementations so is not a fair comparison. and yes i'm sure there is something wrong but unless there is a solid way to replicate issue (and for me to experience it), i don't see how i can do anything to fix it and the so the chance of it being "fixed" is pretty much zero as things stand.
Old 29th November 2014, 01:18   #62
tsunami

What more info you want. and i will get it you

I already told how to reproduce it

Run starwars the old republic or ANY game that has Windowed (fullscreen) this borderless aka no titlebar

Set winamp to Always show Notification for play/stop song info those notification just dont show most the time, i have alt tab and click start bar to get them to show on top the said program. Tested this on multiple pc

far as i can tell it dont show period in actual fullscreen apps and to be even more specific Borderless windowed(fullscreen).

On the actual desktop web browsing etc etc this notification works fine

Basically Notification dont work at all in full screen apps which i fine with they for most part dont unless said program is actual hooking into the app which most dont.

windowed (fullscreen)= Border less no title bar in games like SWTOR this bugg is highly but noticeable. I do not know any other games that have border less windowed (fullscreen) but i think it has to do with the border less windows using full screen.

But Starwars the old republic MMO is free to play and free to download so can http://www.swtor.com/ easily just download the client and set it to windowed fullscreen use the max resolution of your monitor.

Considering i never really tried to use this feature to resently i dont know how long it really been here. I just know i can reproduce on demand on multiple pc with client for swtor set to windowed(fullscreen) max resolution of said monitor

If you want more info tell exactly what you want and i try to get it to you, but if cant reproduce it with the swtor client then i dont know then.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_11-28-2014.zip (7.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (30.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 29th November 2014, 01:51   #63
tsunami

I went back and test the swtor client some more the problem is seems specific to Windowed (fullscreen) which general means said program has no title bar and is fullscreen.

Switch Windowed mode which does have title bar problem is gone.

Again only way i know of to reproduce this on demand if some knows some other program/game that has borderless windowed (fullscreen) mode say so.

Again need any other info say so
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports