Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Closed Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 21:41   #121
retchless

@DrO, that sounds like exactly what I want! I still think that there's some monkey business going on in the logic with that checked, but I'll speak up again if this doesn't suit me. Thanks!
Old 14th April 2010, 13:11   #122
zord_majka

Winamp 5.572 (build 2830)
Clean install, no 3rd-party skins or plugins
Language Pack: None (default English US)
Skin: Bug occurs with all of Bento, Winamp Modern and Classic skins

Locale: Czech
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 4,00 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS
Sound: on board Realtek card
DirectX 10

Problem:
Media Library can't read properly album year information from the metadata. This occurs if you edit tags (for example adding picture in the tag) in MediaMonkey. However, all other players/metadata editors i tried (Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, VLC, MediaTagger, MediaMonkey, windows explorer and even built-in media player on Nokia 5800) had no problem reading from the metadata. I also tried older versions of Winamp, but with same result.

In my case Winamp Media Library seems to read year data only from ID3v1 (and correctly) and ignores the year field from ID3v2 (leaves it empty), so the year field in basic overview is empty. This basically means album year information is nowhere shown.

I guess there wouldn't be this problem if the basic overview would complete the data from both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

Method of Reproduction:
1. edit metadata in MediaMonkey
2. add edited mp3s into Winamp Media Library
3. see it's without year
4. view File info (Alt+3)
5. basic overview lacks the year data
6. ID3v1 contains the year data, ID3v2 doesn't (even these data are physicaly in the tag)
Old 16th April 2010, 15:34   #123
retchless

Clean install
Skin: Winamp Classic

Always On Top is buggy. I tried DrO's suggestion of unchecking "Disable always on top while fullscreen applications are focused", but that didn't change things. I always keep Winamp in windowshade mode at the top of my screen. Every once in a while, it goes behind other windows, and I can't seem to figure out why, or how to reproduce. All I've got open at the moment is Firefox, Eclipse and Lotus Notes, and am actively switching between them, usually with the mouse and taskbar. I'll try to come up with some steps to reproduce, but it seems random.
Old 17th April 2010, 08:23   #124
Sardtok

Winamp toolbar memory leak

After I upgraded to Winamp 5.572 Firefox started leaking memory and ended up being unusable after a few hours.
First I removed the detector plug-in, but nothing changed, after disabling the toolbar Firefox is working properly again.

I'm on an XP system.
The toolbar version says 5.6.12.1.
Old 21st April 2010, 15:01   #125
Unheard

Winamp 5.5.7.2830 (also 5.5.4.2165) - clean install
Language: default English US
Skin: Classic

Locale: Polish (PL)
CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Sound: on board ALC658
DirectX: 9.0c

Description:
When Winamp is launched by opening an MP3 file (with a simple double-click), it becomes svchost.exe's child process. It says that the command line used was "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe -Embedding". This doesn't happen with files like M3U, PLS, ASX or when Winamp is launched with a shortcut first and then an MP3 is opened.

Problem:
As svchost.exe starts the Winamp process, it opens the HKCU registry key (with read/write permission), but never closes it. Even after Winamp is exited. The result is that when user logs out (or shuts Windows down), system waits idly for up to 20 additional seconds (default WinXP setting). Then it decides to save the registry despite the handle still being opened. Apart from the delay mentioned, some other problems can arise because of user profile not being unloaded properly.

How to reproduce:
1. Open an MP3 file by simply clicking on it.
2. You can use something like Process Explorer to see that Winamp is now a child of one of the svchost.exe processes and this svchost owns an HKCU handle.
3. Log out and notice the delay in this procedure.
4. You can use UPHClean to see that it was exactly that handle which caused the pause.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Can't reproduce this. Have you maybe used something like Srvany.exe to make Winamp run as a service?
Or maybe you've manually edited the default command line for .mp3?
And there's definitely no extra/3rd-party plugins present?
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:58   #126
Unheard

I've come to think that it all is svchost.exe's bug. And not just in my installment, but of WinXP in general. I used a new virtual WinXP to check this. Here is what I saw so far.
  • Winamp always starts as svchost.exe's (the one holding DCOM and TermService) child when launched from an MP3 file.
  • I noticed that Sun's VirtualBox is being treated the same way every time I click its shortcut: it becomes svchost's child, is given "-Embedding" switch on a command line and makes svchost.exe open a persistent HKCU handle.
  • Newly installed Windows XP seems to release HKCU handle much quicker, so that users don't notice the problem. However, it stores the same warning 1517 with Userenv as source in system log on shutdown.
  • Strangely, rebooting the system causes svchost.exe to use other registry keys than HKCU. This could be a solution, if it didn't last only until the computer is switched off completely and then started again. I don't really understand this.
It could be useful to know why svchost leaves Winamp alone when launched from files like M3U or using its shortcut. Also why it appends "-Embedding" to the command line. But those questions are probably off-topic and for a different forum.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:47   #127
leemeador76018

Winamp 5.572 pro
only english, no other language packs installed
Dell Optiplex GX1 with standard video and sound, Pentium III, 600 Mhz, 256M ram
Windows 2000 pro, all MS suggested OS updates applied to date, old IE (ver 6)
-DirectX version (start > run > dxdiag) 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I am running Bento skin.

I have a playlist with 2570 normal size songs that is playing random, repeat and running forever. This machine isn't used by people. It sits there being old and playing music in case someone switches the stereo to that input and listens.

Except, after a few days (say 10) WinAmp fills up my memory and the machine starts paging like crazy.

When I first start, the task manager shows the WinAmp task taking about 50 MB. When I hear the disk drive going nuts after a while, it will show over 200 MB for the WinAmp task.

I usually leave the window open but it does the same thing if I leave it in windowshade mode or minimized.

This just started happening about two versions ago. The previous version was the one that showed the error about not finding something in Windows 2000 when it WinAmp started up. The version before that was several versions older than that. (My download folder shows versions 5572, 5552, 5541, 557, 535, 532, 512, and 503.

I never show videos or click anything that pops up when a video is playing.

I have no 3rd party plugins. I get Winamp pro from your web site and install it. That's all.

I started trying to debug this by closing down plugins. That did not help.

I removed Winamp using the uninstall icon. Then I removed the folder it was installed in and reinstalled from a new download (about 4 weeks ago). The newly installed version does the same thing as the old one.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:35   #128
OlyDLG

5.572 on Windows requires manual edit of registry for CDDB look-up to work

Re: http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=21 and http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=22

I don't know if this is a "core" bug, a "plug-in" bug, or an installer bug (for which there appears to be no thread) but it _is_ a bug: users shouldn't be needing to manually edit their registry for CDDB look-up to work.

OlyDLG
Old 4th May 2010, 06:11   #129
zefumaca

Language Pack: Portuguese

Locale: Portuguese BR
CPU: AMD Sempron LE-1250 2.21Ghz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics: NVidea GeForce 8400 GS
Sound: Realtek onboard
DirectX 9.0c

Problem:
When i try to play this file http://www.mediafire.com/?vmtzlu0e3cw, the winamp simply crash.

Method of Reproduction:
1. Only have to do is play this file(http://www.mediafire.com/?vmtzlu0e3cw) and then the winamp crash.
ps.: I never had a problem with this same file with old versions of winamp.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:26   #130
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

zefumaca: Confirming, also crashes/freezes Winamp with latest internal beta.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:59   #131
Zeikerd

Language Pack: English

Locale: English
CPU: Intel i7 870
Memory: 6GB RAM
Graphics: NVidea GeForce 8600
Sound: Soundblaster
DirectX 9.0c

Problem:
Winamp playlist editor is slow and allmost crashes when multiple ID3 tags are getting loaded into the list and searchwindow.

Method of Reproduction:
1. Loading multiple files
2: Loading new title preferences
3: Searching for a title
4: Doing the previous steps on a Windows XP SP2 x86 system

The result is that under an 32bit OS it works faster but the main problem remains that the whole application still freezes for a moment of 3 minutes.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:43   #132
dnewhous

Winamp 5.572 (5.5.7.2830) - clean install
-ASUS A8V-XE K8-3200+, 2 GB DDR400
-Windows XP Pro SP3 USA
-Radeon X1600 10.2
-ASUS Xonar Essence STX
-9.0c

If you run a Shoutcast search, then switch to bookmarks, then back to Shoutcast, the results of the search will be lost.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:38   #133
msayed1977

Spectrum Analyzer

If you switch Winamp from a classic skin to a modern one, then back to a classic skin, the spectrum analyzer becomes slower.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:50   #134
dialer

ftp playback

Winamp 5.752
When trying to play file via ftp:// protocol it shows login screen (and no play!), while if you try to download the same file in browser it requires no login.

Example URL to play: ftp://ftp.tavr.kiev.ua/podcasts/endorphine-0703.mp3

[Edit > Koopa]

That's not a bug, it's an unimplemented feature. It's listed in Winamp 5 Wishlist thread and also has a known workaround
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp.png
Views:	108
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	47097  
Old 11th June 2010, 01:17   #135
_AlleyKat_

Bug in playlist/enqueue (or playlist logic)

Winamp 5.5.7.2 - clean install, reg. Pro version
Skin: Classic

Locale: Danish (da)

System:
Mobo: VIA-based MSI
CPU: Intel dualcore 3.0 GHz
Memory: 3 GB
Video: nVidia GF 6800
Sound: on-board Realtek HD Audio using WHQL-driver
DirectX: 9.0c

Very simple bug, quite minor but a bit annoying. I'm using the Enqueue files on double click setting, and often open Winamp, dbl-click a song in my playlist so it plays, then clean out the playlist with button REM -> REM ALL. Then I add new songs to the playlist. When done playing the current (in PL unlisted) song in Winamp, I would expect it to start from the top of the playlist - but it always skips directly to playlist item #2.

Reproduce:
Set in Preferences -> General Preferences -> File Types -> Explorer Settings -> Enqueue files on double click in Windows Explorer (default is unchecked)
Add a few tracks to the playlist, set a track to play.
Clean out the playlist with button REM -> REM ALL
Add new tracks to playlist by clicking them in Explorer, wait for current (unlisted) song to finish
Note that Winamp now starts the new playlist from track #2, not #1
Old 15th June 2010, 01:34   #136
tkosh65

Winamp 5.572 not compatible with geforce 9600gt

Winamp 5.5.7.2 - clean install, reg. Pro version
Skin: Modern

Locale: EN
System:
Mobo: Asus P5K
CPU: Intel quadcore Q6600@3.17 Ghz
Memory: 8 GB
Video: nVidia GF 9600GT
Sound: SBlaster X-FI Elite Pro
DirectX: 11

The hardware overlay doesn't work right period. Looks like a refresh issue visually. I waited to post about this until a good friend of mine set his system up with my codec setup. The only major difference in our systems is our videocards. His is a newer Geforce and has no tearing issues with the same codec setup I use so somewhere a directx, directshow directwhatever is not communicating properly with my videocard.

I am attaching a DirectxDiag txt which I just did but I am using winamp 5.56 pro at the moment. Please let me know if you need me to put 5.572 back on to get specific info with it on. I had to take it off (for the 6th time at least) because I want to use Winamp and have a Graduation to DJ on Saturday.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (49.2 KB, 209 views)
Old 19th June 2010, 07:43   #137
foxyshadis

Send a message via AIM to foxyshadis Send a message via Yahoo to foxyshadis
Regression in preferences panel?

Fresh install of 5.572.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (recently installed)
Model: Acer Aspire 5670
CPU: Intel Merom Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz
Memory: 3GB
Video: ATI X1400
Sound: Turtle Beach SRM
DirectX: 9.0c card, 11 installed.

It looks like the attached, of course my DPI is set to about 115 and I use XP-style scaling. Wasn't this fixed with 5.5? I'm going to try doing another fresh install and will edit this if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prefs.png
Views:	108
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	47137  
Old 19th June 2010, 15:13   #138
werwurm

crash if playlist contains itself

Winamp 5.5.7.2943
Language Pack: None (default English US)

Locale: German
CPU/Memory: Atom N270 1GB RAM
Graphics: Intel Mobile 945
Sound: Realtek HD HD AUDIO VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_14620110&REV_1001
DirectX 10

Problem:
Winamp crashes if i (accidentally) try to load a m3u playlist which contains itself.

Method of Reproduction:
1. clean install
2. open a textfile "new.m3u" in notepad
3. write "new.m3u" in a single line
4. save and double click the file

OK, i must admit this is stupid but i managed to do it when i was generating a playlist with the "DIR /B /OD >new.m3u" dos command. The file happened to contain its own filename and i did not notice.

Tested it also on a Vista HP computer.

If it is a real bug it should be easy to fix (i think).

Thank you for your attention.

Martin

Last edited by werwurm; 19th June 2010 at 15:42. Reason: typo
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports