Old 28th August 2000, 20:11   #1
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
Do any of you other techno lovers hear a great song on a tv show/movie and later find out that there are absolutely NO FUCKING MUSIC CREDITS or that the soundtrack doesn't have the actual music from the movie (Blade, Gone in 60 sec.)? I HATE THIS FUCKING SYSTEM! Generally you can tell what song is playing if it has WORDS, but techno doesn't (and shouldn't). So i'm screwed. Anybody else POed about this?
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2000, 20:13   #2
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
Please allow me to also state that the winamp bitchlist forum has filled a large void in my life. Thank you.
Old 28th August 2000, 20:14   #3
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

yeah it pisses me off when i can't find the music to the movie....

but gone in 60 secs? what track are you trying to find? the title track is Moby, and i forgot what the name of the song is.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2000, 20:18   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

I love techno, too, and this has always pissed me off. I've gone out to buy several soundtracks and found that a bunch of the music is missing. The credits aren't there either.

------------------
Give me NyQuil and no one gets hurt!
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2000, 21:01   #5
ReDVsion
Major Dude

I'm one of those wierd wackos who listen to the music from a movie the 1st time i'm watching it, so I started noticing quite a few techno tracks on gone in 60 (among other things like low rider). Crystal Method's "Busy Child" was on there too, but not on the soundtrack! Fuckin' bastards. They had some REALLY good techno in Blade, too.
Old 28th August 2000, 21:21   #6
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Any of you guys like propellerheads?
And, because this IS a bitch forum:
I WANT THEIR SECOND FUCKING CD TO COME OUT NOW! AND IT'S TOO DAMN HARD TO BUY ALL THEIR SINGLES AND LPS! I WANT A FUCKING TURNTABLE!
Old 28th August 2000, 21:23   #7
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I don't watch many movies or much TV (one great exception for you guys to check out: Run Lola Run), so I can't identify too much with that problem.
But what bugs me is how:
-Hardly any radio stations play techno. In fact, I don't know of a single dedicated techno station; I only know of techno shows on "alternative" and "modern rock" stations and of course the main reason for having a radio: student-run radio stations.
-When techno is played on the radio, the DJs have a tendency not to announce what they played (which is nice when you want uninterrupted immersion in the music, but sucks when you hear a great song that you wish you knew the name of so you could get your own copy).
-When the DJs do announce what they played, it's usually after a long set, in which the songs were strung together in such a way that you couldn't tell where one ended and the next began even if you did remember to try to count how many had been played since the great song you heard.
-And like you said, techno shouldn't and usually doesn't have any vocals that would help identify artists by recognizing the voices in songs.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2000, 21:27   #8
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Propellerheads have a few good tracks, and "Spybreak!" was perfect in The Matrix (so was Lunatic Calm's "Leave You Far Behind"), but I find most of their songs a little too simple and boring for my taste. It's also got more vocal samples than I'd like.

[This message has been edited by Winsane (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old 28th August 2000, 21:29   #9
ReDVsion
Major Dude

The FUCKING music industry just doesn't cater to techno lovers. Bastards, all of 'em. And NOW they're trying to shut down Napster. I tell ya, if they close Napster down I wanna organize a huge riot, sign up starts now (just in case).
Old 28th August 2000, 21:34   #10
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Ya, sometimes they do have too many vocals, esp. in decksanddrums..., but the rest of their tracks have little to none. Ever heard "Big Dog"? One of their best (just make sure you don't listen to the DJ Craze mix). At first I also thought that Propellerheads was too repetitive, but then I started listening to all the little things that didn't always just jump right out at you. You really have to be using a really good set of headphones to understand, cuz some sounds don't show up if you have bad freq. response. So what are your favorite groups? I'm always lookin' for somethin' better.
Old 28th August 2000, 21:52   #11
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I gots good earphones: Two pairs of $300 Etymotics (An old ER-4S and a new ER-4P.)
Haven't heard "Big Dog." Do you know where I could download a sample (if not the whole track)?
Here's a few of what I've discovered, despite the difficulty in finding them, and liked:
Delerium (Nettwerk label stuff only. Most of their Hypnotic and Third Mind Records label stuff is quite a bit different.)
Pilgrimage
Micronaut
Eco-Hed
Orbital
Chemical Brothers
already mentioned Run Lola Run soundtrack
Gusgus vs. t-world
Afro Celt Sound System
Future Sound of London
Rabbit in the Moon
GSI
Deep Forest (kinda corny, but still good)
In To The Mix compilations
Tranceport compilations
Overclocked remixes

By the way, if you've got a fast connection, I'd recommend using MP3.com's stations to find some good indie techno.

Another by the way, I'm listening to Decksanddrumsandrockandroll right now. I'd forgotten how kick-ass "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" is.

[This message has been edited by Winsane (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old 28th August 2000, 22:28   #12
Ice
Moderator Alumni

Smashing Pumpkins
Faithless
Marilyn Manson
OD TAPO IMI
DJ Sakin

i got a set of speakers, MidiLand, for $20 when i bought this computer.. they work great. like i've said before, if you can tell the difference, the music isn't loud enough.
Old 28th August 2000, 23:14   #13
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Um, I haven't heard of the others, but I didn't think Smashing Pumpkins or Marilyn Manson were techno (I do like the latter though, particularly their first album).

Celtic Cross is another good one, as long as either your speakers/headphones or your hearing aren't too good (there's an annoying 16 kHz tone during some of the tracks that I guess was beyond the hearing range of the producers).

This thread had a few more recommendations: http://forums.winamp.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001247.html

Ice, do you mean that we should turn the volume up until we lose our hearing?
Old 28th August 2000, 23:26   #14
Ice
Moderator Alumni

yes
Old 28th August 2000, 23:29   #15
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Nuh-uh. I'm hoping for 20kHz till I'm 80.
Old 28th August 2000, 23:30   #16
Ice
Moderator Alumni

if they have to be close to techno:

Paul Van Dyk
Sash
Faithless
Chemical Brothers
Bust Brothers
DJ Sakin
Old 28th August 2000, 23:37   #17
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Also, Lords of Acid kick ass. Most of their stuff isn't strictly techno (more kinky techno-industrial, or something like that), but it's (almost) all good, and their first album has some nice and intense real techno on it.
Old 29th August 2000, 00:01   #18
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Sorry, but I can't STAND chemical bros. They have the absolute worst use of lyrics in techno I've ever heard. Generally lyrics just cover up bad techno. (My apologies to those of you who are avid chemical bros. fans. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and yours is wrong ) I'll have to check out all those other groups. I'll have to check out Run Lola Run sometime. You're gonna LOVE Big Dog. Get it off napster. There are enough propellerheads songs/remixes to fill up 2 whole CDs on napster, not counting DADARAR. I REMEMBER DEEP FOREST! YES IT'S CORNY! But it kinda gets me nostalgic cuz I had this great g/t teacher who played it all the time (she quit). At this particular point I don't label Prodigy techno because they have too many lyrics (at least on the album I heard). I've also got this really nice set of phillips headphones that goes from 18-26000 hz. Comfy, too. I'd like better ones, but ignorance is bliss, of course, especially where headphones are concerned.
Old 29th August 2000, 01:19   #19
sgtfuzzbubble011

Hehe.... Propellerheads is kewl. Never really listened to Chemical Bros. I'm more into electronica (trance, melodic, etc...), but I do like a good hard techno track every now and then.

Headphones? Bah. I'd rather feel the bass from my Bose 301's. These things are crystal clear, too. They've got a freq response of around 15 - 21000 hz. My hearing only goes up to about 18khz, though.

------------------
Old 29th August 2000, 02:28   #20
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Or you could have the best of both worlds. My Etymotics are rated as going down to 20 Hz, but I can't really hear tones that low with them and I certainly can't feel the bass with them. But what I can do is hook up both the Etyomotics and a subwoofer to my stereo or computer, so I've got the most precise sound reproduction imaginable combined with feeling my clothes vibrate.
Old 29th August 2000, 03:35   #21
sgtfuzzbubble011

That's pretty spifforiffic. My sister's b/f has a Cove subwoofer in his truck that does that very well. It's only got one 10" woofer in it, but it rocks the llama's ass! The cone has over 3" of travel! It goes down lower than 12 hz, too. It vibrates the truck so bad that you can't see out of the rear view mirrors. The cartilage on the end of your nose vibrates bad enough to make you sneeze. It's hard to breathe, too.

------------------
Old 30th August 2000, 01:23   #22
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
I love Techno!
but everyone's talking 'bout tracks
, and I was wondering, what are your favorite DJ'S?

I'm still not quite happy I missed Dave Clarke at Dance Valley here in holland, but Carl Cox was also a great experience.

------------------
"Kids say the darnest things"
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2000, 02:08   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

Haven't heard a lot of Carl Cox's stuff, but what I have heard is really kewl.

------------------
Old 30th August 2000, 04:52   #24
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I've tested my hearing with Nullsoft's tone generator. It goes up to just a tiny tad over 20 kHz. The guy across the hall from me last year could hear up to about 21 1/2 kHz, if I remember correctly.
Old 30th August 2000, 05:21   #25
sgtfuzzbubble011

Man. I wish my hearing was that good. Most people have a hearing range that extends up to anywhere from 16khz to 20khz, but it usually only goes down to 20hz or so. I have exceptional low freq hearing capabilities. I can hear down as low as 12hz on average. Sometimes down to 10hz. Most people can only feel freqs that low. It's really kewl to feel and hear music that deep.

------------------
Old 30th August 2000, 06:00   #26
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Hey, where'd ya get the nullsoft tone gen? Can't find it on this site, and can't find it searchin', either.
Old 31st August 2000, 03:38   #27
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I just tried searching Metacrawler for it, and I couldn't find it either. I know I originally got it from Winamp.com (back before the site turned white), but I don't remember whether it came with an old version of Winamp or whether I downloaded it separately. The file modification date on the in_tone.dll is 12/29/98 (which exactly matches the date on my gen_tray.dll), so try temporarily installing Winamp 2.06 or so from www.winampheaven.com and see if the plug-in came with it.

[This message has been edited by Winsane (edited August 30, 2000).]
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist