Old 9th November 2014, 21:33   #1
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
DrO - Idea/question

DrO - would there be a simple way of providing skins via cdn or webservice?

I'm thinking that if I created a ws.1001skins.com/cdn.1001skins.com; that lists skins in order of most downloads/ratings/date created that there could be some kind of integration directly with Winamp via some solution (plugin or otherwise).

Personally, I think this could add value on my part and perhaps, on the Winamp part.

Anyways, what do you think?

Added (16:36)
On the CDN I could partner up with a cloud service provider to stream out those cdn based skin resources. On the webservice, well that is cake pull out the pieces of my class code for the data and expose on webservice as generic soap.

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 21:38   #2
DrO

there's nothing stopping someone / you providing a custom online service to do what you're saying (which is what the old 'native' page did). however i don't know what the plans are for such things so if you want to do something then is up to you, but i don't think it'd see any official integration (if it were to happen) at this point in time. though personally i'd only like it to provide skins that are 100% complete (all windows, known to work with current Winamp versions, etc) but that's not what the ones on 1001 tend to be from memory.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 02:45   #3
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Your right 1001skins are a mix mash of years of neglect as well, as lax requirements. Of which I'm not enforcing any hard fast rules. Though, for something like this I would agree in principle that only complete skins would be acceptable.

Though, I am working on a tool to 'improve' the design problems of many of the skins without altering the originals (classic only).

In any event...I think that if I built a plugin that allowed you to connect to a public cdn/webservice for skin resources and had the ability to filter for window as well as provide streamlined installs would be a win/win.

So, my next question would be ... as far as that goes...would that really be of any interest? Or should I just play the wait and see?

1001skins |
Old 12th November 2014, 13:48   #4
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

It's a VERY good idea, specially since .wal and .wsz files can open directly on Winamp. So it would easily work as a "live catalog" suppressing the need to download-and-then-install. You can directly use an "install" button and the download comes up and installs right after it finishes downloading (I've just tested with DeviantArt using the cPro browser).
With this method, theoretically it shouldn't necessarily even be a plugin, am I right?
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 14:00   #5
DrO

there's no need for a plug-in to do this. it was all able to be done if added as an online service (which can be manually set with the 5.66x changes) as long as you used the appropriate client api methods exposed to the pages.

do whatever you feel is right for you, but as Winamp is not the prime focus at the moment, i'm not going to comment further on such things when tbh it's not clear what is going to be natively done (if at all) with such things.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 01:17   #6
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

for the moment ... I will play the wait and see game. I will keep this in my 'list' of nice things to have.

As usual thanks for the input...

1001skins |
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion