Old 30th September 2005, 14:15   #1
Eax

built-in visualization bug

System:
Mainboard: Intel D865PERLX
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHZ 800FSB 1MB L2 cache
RAM: A-Data 512MB DDR400
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 Value (driver version: 2.08.0002)
Video: Nvidia GeForce4 Mx440 (with latest drivers v78.01)
Operating System: Windows XP, 5.1 SP2 Build 2600
Directx 9.0c

a full wimamp5.1 installation, no other plugins installed.

when i play an audio or video file the built-in visualization moves very slow, when the refresh rate and falloff speed are set to highest values. but when i play a midi file it begins to move faster for all played files until winamp is restarted. I noticed one more thing, the built-in visualization begins to move normally (not slow) when i run Windows Media Player or dxdiag.exe and sometimes when running Internet Explorer. I'm sure that that is related with DirecMusic somehow. i downloaded a DirectMusic test program and when i run it built-in visualization moves fast and when i close it the visualization slows down. When i had Creative SB Live 5.1 Digital sound card with driver version: LiveDrvUni-Pack (English) SBLW-XPWEB-W4-US, the built-in visualization was working normally all the time.
Eax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2005, 21:08   #2
Eax

Need Help/Info

Can anybody tell is the winamp's built-in visualization somehow related with DirectMusic and is it related with something at all? It moves slower (only slower, refresh remains normal) than it used to when DirectMusic is not active. The speed normalizes when the midi file is played or one of these programs is running: windows media player, real player, internet explorer (when loaded pages that contains flash movies), directx diagnostic tool (dxdiag.exe), and other programs that use DirectMusic... Once i had Creative SB Live 5.1 Digital sound card... winxp recognizes it and install the drivers automatically, but with those drivers the visualization was slow, until i got new drivers from creative's support site. So what's wrong with this ?? I'm tired in watching slowly moving vis . Is a winamp's bug or a driver problem ? If this issue can be fixed by modifying windows registry plz tell me how ...

p.s. I tried my sound with the same drivers on other pc, but the results are the same. Just don't say that you can't fix it !!!
Old 30th September 2005, 21:19   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

We can't reproduce the problem.

Confirm a clean install of 5.1 and that you've applied the recommended DirectSound Output tweaks.

It's more than likely a driver bug or hardware limitation (video or sound card/s).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2005, 21:22   #4
Eax

huh

but what is the problem? the analyser can't act as it wants it should work as set, what can affect it's speed, and how it works? you made this program you should know
Old 30th September 2005, 21:38   #5
Eax

no changes

i have tried all of your suggestions: direct sound output tweaks, Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder settings changing, directx is ok 9.0c (came with SP2). well what's left...sound driver...something wrong with it. just plz tell me what can affect the visualization speed and i'll to fix it myself, i don't fear to crash my OS...
Old 1st October 2005, 02:34   #6
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

does it do this for all filetypes? wav, ogg, etc.

try the waveout plugin instead of directsound (although i doubt that will make any difference)
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 06:20   #7
Eax

output plugin has no effect to this :/ i'll tried many output plugs but nothing. it slows for all file types except midi file formats. i don't know what to do, tried to install all drivers, crashed OS 3 times :/
Old 1st October 2005, 13:21   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Let's see a DirectX Diagnostic log (Start > Run > dxdiag > Enter > save all information) and a HijackThis log (zip up both files into one zip and attach to a new post here, c/o Post A Reply).
Old 1st October 2005, 16:48   #9
Eax

logs

here are the logs
Attached Files
File Type: rar logs.rar (7.3 KB, 111 views)
Old 3rd October 2005, 12:43   #10
Eax

DJ EGG take a look

hey did you forget to fix the vis bug ?? i have done with the logs you askes 2 days ago...
Old 3rd October 2005, 13:05   #11
DrO

keeping it to the relevant thread helps as well...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2005, 16:41   #12
Eax

hey hey dj egg have you done anything with this bug?
Old 4th October 2005, 17:40   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's not a Winamp bug, it's an issue with your system...
or possibly even a hardware limitation (geforce mx series is pretty poor, heh).

Yes, I've looked at the logs, but alas, I'm not sure what's causing it.

There's some curious entries in your HJT log.
Have you rebooted since posting it, and if so, are these entries still in the log?

O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [DevconDefaultDB] READREG.EXE /PSCONV={NO}
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [MovingCacheA Wininet Settings] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll,RunOnceUrlCache C:\DOCUME~1\Eax\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [MPlayer2_FixUp] C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe /Fixups
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Inetreg] C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{E2D27B84-6365-11D6-9BAF-0090271AF8A4}\Setup.exe /i_again -s

None of those entries are required. RunOnce entries should only run once on reboot and then no longer be listed.

Re: this entry:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig.exe /auto

What startup items have you disabled with msconfig?

And what is this exactly?

O4 - Startup: Power Strip.lnk = C:\Program Files\Power Strip\pstrip.exe

This maybe?
http://castlecops.com/s6670-pstrip_exe.html

Apart from that, are either of your sound or graphics cards sharing IRQ with any other devices?

Please also confirm that you've applied the recommended DirectSound Output tweaks:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....26#post1212926
Old 4th October 2005, 18:05   #14
Eax

re

yes pstrip (powerstrip) is that program (overclock video card, video refresh rate ant so on).
i don't know what's wrong, but i don't that is't related with startup in registry or because i disabled somethin..
when i made a new windows xp installation ant installed only sound card drivers it moves slower and it goes like i mentioned above...something is wrong with sound card drivers i think. As i told before once i had SB live 5.1 digital and with windows drivers the vis was slow but with drivers update from Creative everything was fine.I have no problems with my video, audio cards...everything works as it should. well i'll try to make a video to show you how the "bug" works..
p.s. what size of file can be attached here ?
Old 4th October 2005, 18:40   #15
Eax

fak nothing good, the video recorder supports a max 20 fps while winamp uses 70, so it's no way to show how the vis works... :///
Old 4th October 2005, 18:48   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's no need to make a video. I understand your explanation of the problem, but please understand that there is no way that we can reproduce it.

"something is wrong with sound card drivers"
Yup, that would seem to be the case, heh.
Are those the latest drivers from the Creative website?
Old 4th October 2005, 18:55   #17
Eax

yes it is, but why the wis slows down, and normalizes when running: dxdiag, windows media player...if i set the MIDI plugin to use DirectMusic port the vis go faster when midi file is playing and after that until winamp is restarted. So how can i make winamp to keep DirectMusic in use all the time when i run it ?
Old 4th October 2005, 19:06   #18
Eax

something more: i have an integrated sound card : SoundMAXCadenza. With drivers from the original INTEL cd (or from Intel website) the vis is slow :/. Winamp works fine, no quality problems or other bugs... except the built-in vis. what's the difference between how winamp and for example windows media player uses the sound card?
Old 4th October 2005, 19:43   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Still no idea :/
Did you apply the DirectSound Output tweaks yet?
Old 4th October 2005, 20:06   #20
Eax

yep i tried but no use :/.
but how can DirectMusic affect the visualization's speed...
if the speed is set to highest values it should move at the same speed all the time, and i think DirectMusic has nothing familiar with video card.
maybe you can make a winamp to keep the directmusic port active when it is running (a patch or somethin')? I think this would solve the problem.
Old 5th October 2005, 19:14   #21
Eax

DJ_Egg tell me what to do D
Old 5th October 2005, 20:14   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Any difference if you change the hardware acceleration settings c/o

Windows Control Panel > Display > Troubleshoot tab

and/or

DirectX Diag Tool > Sound tab

???????

If the problem only occurs when you set both "vis refresh rate" and "analyzer falloff speed" to maximum, then I suggest that you stick to using 35fps refresh rate, heh.
Old 5th October 2005, 21:56   #23
Eax

i tried but no changes :/
it only goes faster when DirectMusic port is active, sounds strange but it is :/
so how to keep the port active all the time when winamp is running, or even when windows is running ??
Old 5th October 2005, 23:06   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

DirectMusic is for MIDI (see: dxdiag > Music tab)

You could open a 2nd instance of Winamp, load any MIDI file on repeat, and then mute and minimize it. However, that seems like a pretty lame workaround/cure to me, heh.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support