Old 3rd March 2006, 19:11   #1
testa12

Predixus MusicMagic: How does it work?

Hi,

I've been using MusicMagic to shuffle my songs, it does a good shuffle but I cant understand why...

A) Why does it only shuffle 20 songs?

B) Why does it "process" all the songs?

Thanks for any answers!
testa12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 20:08   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The plugin sends infos to the server:

* Song title
* Artist name (including Composer, Conductor, Lyricist)
* Album name
* Track number
* Genre name
* Song duration
* Song fingerprint
* Song analysis
* Analysis of lyrics

with the infos, it will verify the songs and made them able to shuffle.

The plugin is bloated (take alook at the filesize of the .dll), it takes too much time and to be honest, I don't trust the plugin. I guess Winamp installer would be much better without it.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 20:50   #3
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

1) It analyzes all your songs because its in their best interest. It grows the size of their database.

2) It only creates a playlist of 20 because they want you to buy the full thing.

3) It consumes cpu for lengthy periods of time (2 weeks at 100% cpu usage on my machine).

4) All what was said above.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 10:26   #4
colorspace

Small question; why is it bundled with Winamp? Do they pay AOL for it? The idea is great, but the plug-in is poorly written.
colorspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 10:52   #5
testa12

Quote:
Originally posted by colorspace
Small question; why is it bundled with Winamp? Do they pay AOL for it? The idea is great, but the plug-in is poorly written.

I would presume they bundle it rather like applications bundle the google toolbar these days. Somebody, somewhere, stands to make some money off it.
Old 4th March 2006, 10:54   #6
testa12

So is it not possible to get a standard "shuffle" of all your songs in WINAMP?
Old 4th March 2006, 11:43   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

colorspace: Yeah profit is the deal, I guess. I disagree the idea is bad, people think, that the Predixis bugs are related to Winamp.

testa12: Winamp has a shuffle mode, the mode is good enough for me. If you want to shuffle more than 20 songs with the crappy Predixis, you have to pay for the full version, as already pointed out by CraigF.

The Winamp bundle is just an appeal to buy their full version.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 18:28   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
In my humble opinion, nothing should take 2 weeks at 100% on a computer, except maybe one hell of a bender drinking cheap ass beer while watching good avs presets.

I miss the days when everything in winamp full version was nullsoft stuff. I used to be happy to give word-of-mouth advertising saying that winamp didn't have 3rd party stuff unless you downloaded it seperately. I guess now you can still uncheck stuff during install, but you gotta be careful.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 05:34   #9
aijoovai

No fence, but it seems that most of the commentators haven't really though about the whole idea of Predixis (now MusicIP Mixer). The thing with that is to analyze the tracks *acoustic* characteristics and make an acoustic fingerprint from that. This brings along *a lot* of possibilities including, but not limited to, making mixes of music that sound the same.

It's very true that before they have an extensive database (which is building all the time) it takes a long time to do the intial analysis. With my computer it's some 3-6 minutes per track in average to do the analysis from scratch. If the track is already in the db then the "fingerprinting" takes some 5-10 seconds/track. That's not too bad.

Of my 30,000+ library that has a *whole* bunch of foreign music only some 3,000 tracks had to be analyzed from scratch. And after the rest 28,000 were actually mixable already after the maybe half an hour .. or an hour it took for the mixer to identify which tracks were found from the library.

But the point is: it's a totally different sport. I tried out the plugin last summer and was bummed with the bugs and jamming. Now I gave it and other chance *and installed the MusicIP mixer*. Which is good. There very nice features even in the free version. Musch more than in the plugin! Including larger mixes.

Not to go into details the analysis is still CPU intensive, but with at least the MusicIP mixer 1.6 it doesn't halt the computer because the analysis is separated to its own process that is run with a BelowNormal priority.

It's definitely still in development and has a number of rough edges (some of which are really dumb), but I'm very much looking forward to the development of the whole concept.
aijoovai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 16:38   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I'll try the newer version now - my library is rather big and the initial analysis might still take forever because I do dj work with some really uncommon selections - different types of world music, old jazz recorded to digital from my old vinyl and ceramic records, classic rock that sometimes I can only find and record from 8-track to digital, swing music, classical, and other stuff like that.

I think this "seperate process at below normal priority" would make things better.

There's a lot of clips and loops that are short and are only meant for putting together on Sony Sonic Foundry Acid Pro too, plus the final products, so that would be more music that wouldn't be recognized, in addition to clips of new song ideas I record when I am messing with the guitar.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support