Old 4th September 2013, 01:42   #3681
fc*uk

Well ... I did not buy anything. The economy is dead in the US, didn't you hear?

The fact that this thread has not been bumped in a quarter of a year solidifies it. Or something else ...

Any who

I've not bought anything, but I've been bloody sold!!!

I feel so dirty!!! :foilhat:
Old 4th September 2013, 03:14   #3682
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

The Reuben $15.90
A traditional American style sandwich with sliced pastrami, melted Swiss cheese, mustard and creamy coleslaw on toasted ciabatta, topped with a sliced dill pickle and served with seasoned chips.

This was my one "convenience" lunch purchase for the working week (the other four days are dealt with by bringing ham salad wraps from home). Effing expensive for an admittedly large sandwich with chips and a 10-cent salad, but taste-wise? Sooooo worth it.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
Old 4th September 2013, 13:19   #3683
ujay
Forum King

Can't afford food here, have to save every penny for geek stuff

It struck me a while ago that the last time I used the DVD drive on my laptop was to install the operating system.

So ...

Up to now large capacity drives have been too thick for the average laptop, but Samsung and WD have both just introduced 1TB internal hard drives that are under 10mm.

I've removed the DVD caddy(PnP designed to just slip in and out) and kept it seperate should I ever need it again, and fitted a HDD caddy with a Samsung 1TB as a 2nd drive instead (System drive is a 128GB SSD).

ThinkPad Ultrabay HDD Caddy

Samsung M8 slim 1TB review

Loving it so far and now have my entire Media Library stored locally. Not sure what the impact on battery life is yet.

UJ
Old 4th September 2013, 22:53   #3684
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Can't afford food here, have to save every penny for geek stuff
Can't afford food. Can't afford geek stuff. I just put new fans on my old video cards with Elmers Glue. I wish I could afford new cards. I've been overclocking these 9800GT's for 4 years. The old fans turned into sawdust from the heat. So liking $12 instead of $400 bucks to replace them, I got out the glue-all and glued some new fans to the heat sinks. Funny... the cards run cooler than they ever did.

But 5 years ago, I would have bought new cards, a new processor (FX-8150) and refitted this machine for another 5 year mission.
Old 4th September 2013, 23:54   #3685
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I've been making huge student loan payments lately, often more than $10K at a time a few months apart, with minimum monthly payments in between. We might be done with these loans by June if we keep it up. We've been purchasing little more than bare necessities for a long time trying to get rid of these loans so that our budget will later allow for a lower income and less countless hours at work and more hours as a family. Granted, a couple years ago (before the little one came along) we didn't quite fit this description, but now priorities have changed.

I put this computer together in September 2008, with very negligible upgrades and a dead PSU replacement since. It's still overkill for all I do. I hope it continues to serve well so that I don't have to spend more money and time on computers.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 5th September 2013, 01:06   #3686
fc*uk

*ahem* I've been sold I'm so bad off!!! :O

Anyway, case and point ... The two Americans in this thread have bought nothing new and are making do.

What I wonder is what happens when the US fails as so many other countries have built themselves on our needless and wasteful consumption.

[/deep thought]

I'm buying a house! It's what I get for being sold! Huh?
Old 5th September 2013, 03:07   #3687
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
I've been making huge student loan payments lately, often more than $10K at a time a few months apart, with minimum monthly payments in between. We might be done with these loans by June if we keep it up.
Well done.

I'm a big fan of getting well ahead on things like mortgages and loans. Last month I opened a new $3K credit card account, balance-transferred $2.5K to my existing card (on which I owe nothing) then transferred the $2.5K from there to my personal loan, all but paying it off (there's one weekly $66 payment to go). So I've effectively swapped [A] 15% interest over the next six years, with [B] 0% interest over the next 9 months. Keeping up the same payment plan (i.e. $66/week) it'll be paid off with a week to spare, before the 9-month interest-free period expires.

Old 5th September 2013, 03:12   #3688
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Another american chiming in. I've purchased very little recently short of what is truly necessary. For a while, I was spending a lot of money on eating out, drinks, and the like.

Now, it's almost entirely utilities, rent, food, and whatever clothes need to be replaced.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 5th September 2013, 10:29   #3689
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
What I wonder is what happens when the US fails as so many other countries have built themselves on our needless and wasteful consumption.
What happened when Rome fell? The world plunged into the Dark Ages to be followed by a 1000 year European war/Arab war. By 1700, mankind had recovered to the point where he had technology from the first century BCE. We even forgot how to make concrete for 1500 years.

Be careful what you wish for.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:21   #3690
fc*uk

Good point about Rome, ROH...

It's not something that I wish for at all. However, it is something that I think is going to happen and it would be wise for other countries to start protecting themselves against it, especially in terms of the global economy.

I've felt that our way of live here is unsustainable and has been that was for far too long. I know more people outside the US than in anymore as well. ALL of my foreign friends agree that our way of life here is wrong and can not be sustained. They are all glad that we are around and have given money to their countries with out compulsive and reckless buying, but realize that no one can continue down this path because at some point in time, you actually need money. I don't think the majority the US remembers what real money is and are absolutely clueless as to what live within your means refers to.

Hey, did you hear McDonald's workers want a union and $15 an hour?
Old 8th September 2013, 01:18   #3691
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I've been looking for wood splitting wedges; preferably over 6 pounds and steel; something that won't get stuck in the log as much as my current ones do. While searching, an odd search result came up. You can actually buy a wood splitting wedge at Office Depo! (insert insanely huge igor here)

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...litting-Wedge/

Does it really get that bad at the office where a wood splitting wedge becomes the appropriate thing to reach for?

edit - You can even get the 20# sledge to match!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Sledge-Hammer/

Old 8th September 2013, 05:58   #3692
rockouthippie
Banned

I prefer a wood grenade: No sharpening. If you hit em' right you can get 2 or more splits with one whack. The pointy tip makes it easy to set. You just stab it in the log.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1335624
Old 8th September 2013, 21:21   #3693
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I've got one. It has a lot of disadvantages:

The point is slick/smooth/not barbed and it doesn't set; it'll topple over unless you use a lot of force or many hits while setting. It takes a lot more time and energy to set one of those compared to a typical wedge. The wood likes to spit it back out while setting.

This problem is much worse when you go to hit it - if you don't aim exactly right, it will much more easily fly in any direction whereas a typical wedge almost always flys straight ahead and away from you if you don't hit right. It will often even bounce back straight up out of the wood. The little 4 pound grenade flys far too, whereas a heavier wedge falls earlier and closer.

With straight grain wood, I easily use a maul, which means the sledge and wedge/grenade are only used for knotted and twisted-grain pieces. Almost all of those pieces swallow the tiny 4 pound grenade before they're split completely, and then you have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to pry and yank until you can get your wedge(s)/grenades unstuck. Sometimes flipping them upside down and finishing the job with the maul or more wedges works, but not often. Hacking and prying with a spud bar helps. I've even had to burn some grenades/small wedges out in a campfire because I'm too scared to free them with a chainsaw (if the saw kicks, the chain might hit the steel of the wedges - chain could break and fly back at you).

A friend has a good long and wide regular wedge that's maybe 9-10 pounds. When I borrow it, it works like a charm. It sets with one or two light hits and breaks with 1-5 swings, even on the stubborn ones. He lives kinda far away, needs it often, and isn't willing to sell. He got it from his dad, who's dead now, so I don't know where they bought it.

I don't want to buy a gasoline wood splitter. Manual splitting keeps me in shape and gives me an outlet if I have a need to release some anger. Plus I really enjoy splitting wood manually so long as I'm not trying to free up a stuck wedge.

Old 9th September 2013, 00:12   #3694
ujay
Forum King

Maybe people work differently nowadays.
Back in the years BC(before chainsaws) when everything was cut by hand, we would split the branch/trunk down the middle first using wedges, then cut it into logs. It's a lot less work cutting up two thin sections than one large one.
This was all wedges were used for, splitting logs once they are cut was done with a splitting axe. Anything a bit tough or stuck, you turn the axe over and hit the back down onto the block, letting the weight of the wood drive itself down onto the blade.

Bottom line, split the logs down to a managable size before you cut then.

UJ
Old 9th September 2013, 01:30   #3695
rockouthippie
Banned

I can usually just stick the grenade with my hand by the point and I do use a 20# sledge. I probably would use a smaller one if I was using a regular wedge. You might have a point if you were cutting hardwood, but mostly we get fir, poplar and pine for firewood. Oak splits ok, but I usually set it with a hand hammer. One whack with a sledge and I've usually got 4 pieces. Once broken, I usually go back and make the pieces smaller with a cruising axe.

Another thing I like about wood grenades is that they are broad enough, it's hard to get them stuck. They make a hole nearly as big as the hammer head, so pounding them through is a bit easier. It's nice to get 4 cracks instead of two. A lot of times I can just bang the piece with a sledge and they'll finish cracking along the lines the wedge made. 4 pieces... 3 hits.

Too bad we don't have a cord each and see which one of us gets through it faster

Quote:
Bottom line, split the logs down to a managable size before you cut then.
My wood stove doesn't like stuff much longer than about 18 inches so I chainsaw to that length. Splitting gets pretty easy if you cut that short.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:22   #3696
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

ThunderCats 2011 Tower of Omens playset with transparent Tygra figure $15
ThunderCats 2011 ThunderTank with Snarf figure $15
ThunderCats 2011 ThunderRacer with Lion-O figure $8
ThunderCats 2011 StormCharger with light-up Mumm-Ra figure $15
ThunderCats 2011 Lizard Cannon with Lizard figure $8

Old 16th September 2013, 23:29   #3697
rockouthippie
Banned

I was going to make some smart ass comment, and then I looked up, saw Batman, Robin and Catwoman sitting on top of my computer and thought better of it.

Really though? Thundercats? Thundercats are pussies. Batman would go upside their head ... Hell, Robin would kick their ass and he went into interior design.
Old 17th September 2013, 03:13   #3698
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If it were fir, I could just simply go outside on a bad allergy day and let my sneezing split it. Evergreens, no matter know knotty or twisted, seem to split with almost no effort. Oak can be the best or worst. Straight oak splits pretty consistently if you put a lot into each maul swing. Starting with small side pieces is easier than trying to half it. Twisted oak will have it bouncing on every swing. Most of what I split is locust, cherry, pin oak, white oak, red oak, black oak, etc., hard maple, beech, aspen, hickory, black walnut, chestnut, apple, and other hardwoods. Every once in a while I get a poplar tree; those are super easy to split. Any time we get evergreens, we save it for campfires, because it causes too much creosote buildup in the chimney which causes increased risk of chimney fires. Plus it burns so fast you spend your entire night carrying wood and feeding the fire instead of other priorities.

For now, if things look too rough, I just toss the piece aside and work on easier stuff. Those tossed aside go out to the camp where size doesn't matter.

Old 18th September 2013, 06:24   #3699
rockouthippie
Banned

Mostly you get D fir, Poplar and occasionally you can find an oak tree to take out. I've got a bunch of coast pines in the yard that died. They aren't even worth trying to burn. Those are just gonna go to the dump.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:08   #3700
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Acer Iconia B1 (7" 8GB Jellybean tablet) for $58 after rebate. It's for ShyShy Jr. She's now on facebook.

GOD HELP US ALL

Old 19th September 2013, 03:51   #3701
fc*uk

Bought a new car today; one that the newborn will fit in too!
Old 19th September 2013, 15:28   #3702
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

what kind of car?

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 19th September 2013, 16:59   #3703
fc*uk

I decided to upgrade my Nissan Sentra with something a little nicer and more conducive to the nice FL weather.

So, I got an Infiniti ...
Old 20th September 2013, 01:28   #3704
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Alright! I love my Infiniti. Nice choice, fc.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 20th September 2013, 02:24   #3705
fc*uk

I remember your thread between the Audi and Infiniti... Good choice by the way.

I had Nissans for years. Had no issue switching to Infiniti. So far I'm very impressed with what I purchased. I thought Nissan thought of everything; Infiniti takes it a step further.

Imma drive this thing into the ground ... I plan on owning it for about 10 yr.
Old 20th September 2013, 03:42   #3706
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have Great News for you!

I have a Nissan that I would be happy to let you buy at an affordable price!

As a 1993 model, it's only 20 years old and has only been non-street-legal for a few years! Barely used! Only 231,000 miles and still has two of the bolts that hold the bed on intact! The interior has extra moth-ball pest protection that you won't find on these lower-quality, cost-cutting new vehicles! Your power windows will never fail unless your arms fail. The added weight of firewood and absurdly heavy off-road bumpers combined with the 4-cylinder, 4-wheel-drive-train will ensure that you'll never, ever have to worry about speeding tickets, even in the slow zone! The eclectic non-matching selection of tires will help you write informed internet reviews of different brands without having to change tires! The truck keeps you in harmony with Mother Nature, as it's leaky windshield helps you enjoy the raindrops, without the burdensome cost of a convertible vehicle! The driver’s side wiper still works, and so does the cassette player, albeit slower, wavering, and lower pitched than typical speed. The 5-speed manual transmission still has a pretty smooth and quiet 4th gear! Keep your family safe with the vintage occasional squealing fan belt alarm system and the exhaust leak that alerts people that you’re coming so that they don’t pull out in front of you. The backfires when downshifting will keep those thugs a-runnin’! Keep the little ones engaged by folding the rear face-each-other seats out of the wall, making it easier for them to kick each other in the nuts while you drive! This truck has been very gently driven. Sometimes I was so gentle I made sure that none of the tires were touching the ground while driving over the crests and down slopes of steep hills.

More seriously, this thing was pretty good and reliable for the previous owner. By the time I picked it up, it was extremely inexpensive to buy in its age, mileage, and condition. I had it inspected and street-legal a long time ago as a backup vehicle to my old Camry, but now I just use it as an off-road stuff-hauler, kinda like a tractor. It would be very expensive to fix up to be street-legal. But, the damn thing won’t give up, so I’d feel guilty selling it for scrap, and no one wants to buy it to use it, so I just keep it as a tool and toy. Sometimes I get a little too confident in the mud or snow with the newer Tacoma and get stuck, and this old faithful Nissan is always there to pull me out, or vice versa. It can be harmed, but I doubt it can be killed. It’ll probably outlast me. It still has old PA plates; I haven't lived there for a long time. This picture is 4 years old when the Tacoma was new; the Nissan is a lot rustier now. I'll have to take some more pictures of it.

RoH - side note - Some examples of stuff we burn here: the Nissan has poplar wood (e.g. the green center circle piece) and red oak (e.g. the brown center circle piece) in it, and the Toyota has hard maple in it. This was before the Technical Service Bulletin suspension upgrade on the Tacoma, which explains why it was sagging a bit. This wood was pretty small and straight and easy to split.

Old 21st September 2013, 22:21   #3707
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Sushi all you can eat.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
Old 24th September 2013, 00:21   #3708
fc*uk

Lol Ted ... Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

I like what I've got, by the 17/22 mpg is killing me ... I just makes me feel guilty about the whole vehicle.
Old 24th September 2013, 02:23   #3709
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I had that. Whenever I fill up, I need to drive it hard for a while to remind myself that it's enough fun to drive that it's justified.

Old 24th September 2013, 02:27   #3710
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
I had that. Whenever I fill up, I need to drive it hard for a while to remind myself that it's enough fun to drive that it's justified.

And these are fun ... Oh so much fun!
Old 24th September 2013, 21:40   #3711
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

With that Nissan pickup, now that it's almost always off the road on corn and woods paths, I get about 17-22 too... except now it's more like miles per tank.

And, you might not believe it, but it's pretty fun too. There's just something really awesome about taking out a big patch of brush, bushes, and briars just by slamming into it, not caring that a few more flakes of rust will be left behind.

On the other hand I enjoy a pretty powerful street vehicle from time to time. May I ask which model/year/engine?

Old 24th September 2013, 22:43   #3712
fc*uk

I agree with you Ted; sometimes those old jalopies are the best vehicles. I had a jeep wrangler like that once. Got the thing nearly for free. My uncle who is a mechanic fixed the thing up for me out of the kindness of his heart. It truly was a second car. I beat the hell out of that thing. Loved every second of it because I simply did not care.

Take my wife's jeep (primary car) off roading? No way in hell. But that jeep I had in college we took all the time.

I've still got a fondness for wranglers. Though I'll try to tell you I hate them.

Anyway, I bought a 2014 Infiniti Q60 IPL Convertible. It's a bit of a change from that Sentra.
Old 25th September 2013, 01:10   #3713
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Where does the child seat go? I'd be worried about having to push the front seats pretty far up so that the rear-facing infant seat fits in the back. Also, having a 2-door and a baby car-carrier might be quite a challenge. Try not to scuff the back of the seat while carrying the baby & seat carrier out of the car. It looks like quite a fun ride though.

Old 25th September 2013, 01:55   #3714
fc*uk

Yep ... Right on all accounts.

In an effort to be a good "pre-dad" I've done my homework/gut check.

The child seat does indeed fit. We checked that before I bought the vehicle. The seats don't have to be too far forward for that to happen either. Though, the chil will not be going behind the drivers seat when I'm driving (simply
Because I'm 6'2" and I don't fit in anything easily).

I hear you on the back seat. There will be a blanket back there that everything sits on so that the seats don't get wrecked.

That leaves the two doors. Yep, that is going to suck for sure, you are right. I've thought about that for a long time. I'm just going to have to deal with it. Florida is fairly sunny and rain does not happen offer, and not for long periods of time. When the two doors become a pain in the arse, I'm just going to put the top down.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:24   #3715
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

A new Medion Monitor (23.6", 1920x1080 pixel) for Frank's PC in the supermarket Aldi (today).

Mine is from Samsung and 4 years old (26", 1920x1200 pixel). His old monitor is nearly 10 years old, and if we turn it on, we see shortly the desktop, then his monitor goes off. Yesterday after 4 tries I got his monitor on. In the last weeks, if we had turned it on, we also heard an unpleasant whistle sound from the monitor in the first minutes.

Frank had always worked with 4:3, while I myself work with 16:10 and 16:9 since 4 and 2 years. My PC is from 2009 and my notebook is from 2011, also bought in the supermarket Aldi. Frank was also sitting at my PC for a few times, to look into Facebook etc., but on my PC everything looks different, not only because of my Firefox Themes (installed with Stylish), also because of my widescreen monitor. He is accustomed only to the old look in 4:3 and not to the new look in 16:9 and 16:10. Also my Winamp is too weird for him, he knows only the very boring Windows Media Player. But there is no other way for him now, if he wants to sit at his PC also tomorrow and in the future. He will make it even, I am sure...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Old 1st October 2013, 11:33   #3716
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Secondhand:
Upright CD storage tower (holds 46)
Double-pack DVD - iRobot and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Double-pack DVD - Matchstick Men and Cypher
Wild FM - WILD 9 (double CD)

New:
ThunderCats 2011 Stylized 4 inch Collectible Action Figure 6-Pack (Lion-O, Cheetara, Panthro, Tygra, Mumm-Ra & Slithe) [297499]
ThunderCats 2011 Deluxe Sword of Omens [33091]
Star Wars 2012 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter [37636/36785]
Transformers Dark of the Moon Mechtech Nitro Bumblebee [27911/28738]
IKEA Billy 40*28*106 White Bookcase
Two nice dresses for ShyShy Jr
One nice dress for ShyShy

... and some other stuff that ShyShy may post about.

Old 4th October 2013, 18:11   #3717
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Upright CD storage tower (holds 46)
I have this big packing crate. I just put the music on the computer and put the disk in the big box in the closet. It must weight 80 or 90 lbs. I don't know how many CD's.

Quote:
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
I thought that movie really blew.
Old 4th October 2013, 18:45   #3718
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Today I had to buy a new WLAN-router, because the old one had died yesterday. Suddenly being without internet is not very nice, but today I am back, and I will write also in my own thread...

Old 6th October 2013, 00:05   #3719
fc*uk

I need to do the same myself Sabine... half of my wifi devices won't connect to my router...

There should e no reason why a WLAN router "dies" really... but the most I've ever gotten out of one is about three years...
Old 6th October 2013, 01:03   #3720
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Our WLAN-router was 6 years old (bought June 2007). Since 2010 it had to be restarted more and more, if we had suddenly bad internet connection or no internet connection anymore (maybe 1-2 times per month). Our old router had a switch. But on the "day of reunion" suddenly our router was totally dead. I saw, that the light green LEDs no longer shone. For Frank and me the "day of reunion" was the "day of isolation", because we had been cut off from the world...

I wrote also, that many things break especially, if someone has actually not the money:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=366311

Frank's Windows Media Player has discovered my PC, and my Windows Media Player has discovered his PC, that's very new with our new router (we see these messages in the taskbar, bottom right)...

Hahahahaha, do You want to know the title of my current live-broadcast?...
http://mixlr.com/sabine-klare/chat
Live: I am back - with a new Router

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions