Old 9th November 2004, 13:45   #41
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
If we did a 'first preset' pack I would just cheat to make myself look good by posting some totally kick-ass preset that clearly wasn't my first.

Who the hell has their first preset still on their computer anyway? It was 5 years ago or something, I think I've formatted 4 times, thrown the hdd away, bought a new one, formatted it at least twice and had to reinstall winamp easily 20 times over that period.

Plus I question the logic of releasing a pack which intentionally contains some of the worst presets ever made. I suppose you could 'remake' the preset rather than just post a good new one... but how do you remake a render ring and trans water?

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
Old 9th November 2004, 15:25   #42
Tuggummi
Bin King

Quote:
Who the hell has their first preset still on their computer anyway?
I do.
I started 5 years ago and i've only had to reinstall windows or format my harddrive twice this time and the other one was because i bought a new one I still carried my own presets over to the next one.

Quote:
but how do you remake a render ring and trans water?
With superscope and convolution filter? I've heard talk about a custom water effect, but never seen one actually, it's one of those urban AVS legends

Texer Resources

Im retarded... err i mean retired!
Probably both...
Old 9th November 2004, 17:28   #43
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I crashed my hdd 4 times (as in one time the hdd laying in two parts litterally, one other time killing my mainboard + processor) re-installed WA at least a zillion times but apart from the presets that were lost due to crashes after 2 hours of work without saving (yea, I know... now) I still have all my presets. Just make sure you have a backup.

for the ring+water thing, it should be possible with a grid-type ssc with per-point colorcoding and n=w*h

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 9th November 2004, 21:15   #44
Tuggummi
Bin King

w*h, gee with 280x280 window size that would be only... 78400 numpoints!

I reckon you go with the convo + ssc

Texer Resources

Probably both...
Old 10th November 2004, 00:07   #45
sidd
Major Dude

my first preset was a joke that i put on my friends computer.. it was some browny-orange fyrwerx, rotoblitter and a render text saying "Jacob's explosive hemorrhoids."

I was 15
Old 10th November 2004, 06:44   #46
Raz
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
but how do you remake a render ring and trans water?
A beat responsive torus floating over an intricately designed ocean?
Old 10th November 2004, 09:58   #47
PAK-9
Major Dude

I'm slightly offended that people think I was asking for technical help on making a ring+water preset. I consider that a severe underestimation of my abilities.
Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
A beat responsive torus floating over an intricately designed ocean?
Now THATS an idea

...innit
Old 10th November 2004, 10:41   #48
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by PAK-9
I'm slightly offended that people think I was asking for technical help on making a ring+water preset. I consider that a severe underestimation of my abilities.
Then.. How would you do it?

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 11th November 2004, 01:28   #49
sidd
Major Dude

its EASY!

zev has made an h*w superscope water simulator. And then just put in a beat reactive raytraced torus dynamic movement on top.

easy as PIIEEE!
Old 11th November 2004, 06:37   #50
Mr_Nudge
Major Dude

yeah, for nerds not implying that zevensoft's a nerd, just people who think it's easy

Life's a game, break the rules
Click here
Old 11th November 2004, 13:55   #51
PAK-9
Major Dude

h*w is a statement that should never occur in any AVS ever, you never need every pixel to be represented by a point. It would be better to use a texer2 with some dynamic sizing and a dynamic number of points, having a circle as a point instead of a dot or line gives a much nicer look, requires far less points and doesnt introduce 'jaggies' and other bugs when you throw it around a lot.

As for the preset, personally I'd do the opposite of sidd, have a DM for the water and a ssc/texer2 for the ring/torus.

...innit
Old 11th November 2004, 14:46   #52
sidd
Major Dude

well, fine, you can do it the lamerz way if you want

btw, there are articles popping up all over the net saying that nullsoft is finally well and truely dead. Not that we had hopes of new AVS versions before, but at least this is some confirmation. Didnt think it was worth making a new thread over.

Anyone had any new thoughts towards a new vis program/plugin?
Old 11th November 2004, 16:49   #53
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Well, then we could ask Justin personally if he'd hand us the source as Nullsoft is dead anyway...

Old 12th November 2004, 06:14   #54
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

hi & sorry
well, my life consists of next year i AM the pretty amauteur i did these up last week comparison is that my work is all craaap... i cant even get a real girlfriend, im a psychologically confused person; who does web-design and avs for a living including school, at school i just failed my maths quadratics assignment soon coming a maths exam and 4 assignments to hand in on the next week...! i've done most of...! i haven't been to avs 4 a while [ excusing my absences ], next year for #11: ill study IPT (information processing technologies), maths b, physics, bct (business ed:: you get some certificate for it! ), practial art (i also get a certificate for...), and of course always dreaded english
__
will any of this help, and im having trouble understanding most of the 3D code that was given to me by Jaak [ was a friend ] he tryed many times explaining to me the 3D code just liked to say sorry ok ? hope he heard it

he's one of the best friends i HAD!
i'd like to say you guys are harsh on high-school student(s)... im only 15 and AUSTRALIA has the CRAPPEST SCHOOLING!!!!

im now learning php, mySQL, and setting up a server also i wanna study at cisco universities... well this is all i got to say

MaTTFuRY goes and sits in the dark loomy corner now...
attatched 1 avs preset [[beta]] most likely my last...
ill probably goto milkdrop looks like fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip avs.zip (2.7 KB, 245 views)

i am not normal, no really.
Old 12th November 2004, 06:50   #55
sidd
Major Dude

look no matter what you want to do, avs, milkdrop, php whatever, you are going to have to learn to have some patience. Your problem seems to pan out like this:

1. you want everything done for you
2. you don't listen to anyone's advice

No one flamed you when you first arived here, but you didn't listen to anyone's advice and kept asking for more, and people(me) got annoyed.

Now, don't take it like im beating you up. Please read my post in its entirety.

Dont worry about the maths, particuarly at school. Keep school and avs completely seperate. The things you will want to know in avs are more related to graphics and programming than they are to maths. Learn at your own pace, and experiment with the superscope.

From looking at your presets (please don't take offense to this) you need to learn the basics before you can rush into 3D geometry. Learning how the 3d presets work will be very difficult for you if you dont completely understand how AVS's scripting language works.

Getting good at avs, or milkdrop for that matter, involves taking a serious interest and developing your skills at your own rate. You actually have to do things on your own! You can't just rely on other people to tell you what to do and how to do it.

So, go on and run off to milkdrop land if you want, but that is your loss. And i dont just mean because milkdrop is so rediculously inferior, i mean because you have given up so easily. If you go off to think MD forums now, and act the same as you have acted here, they will probably treat you just like we have. If you get discouraged like that, and run off scared because you are new, then you arn't going to get good at anything.

YOU need to do the work!

[edit] By the way, if you read my post up there, I also made my first preset when i was 15. And it was much worse than the ones that you posted. Plus, I'm also from Australia, so you can't use that as an excuse :P
Old 12th November 2004, 07:48   #56
Mr_Nudge
Major Dude

I'm only 16 and made my first preset in april this year, i never asked for help, and none of the maths i've learnt at school has helped. Infact the maths i've learnt through avs has helped at school. In almost a year i've still only just got the grip of decent dms and superscopes (working on some 3d stuff now). As i said before, this takes time, but if your like me and mess around with avs instead of doing homework or study (which i should be doing now) it'll take less time.
The best way to learn is to download heaps of presets of all standards and find one with a basic dm and ssc, rip them to peices, re write them, build your own preset around them until you know what everything does. Then move up to a more complex preset and do the same thing. Keep going until you can write stuff yourself (you'll notice that each kind of dm/ssc that does the same kind of thing has fairly similar code). Tear presets to bits and mess around with it until you understand, and then you'll be able to do what you want.

Click here
Old 12th November 2004, 11:23   #57
Jaak
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by MaTTFURY

will any of this help, and im having trouble understanding most of the 3D code that was given to me by Jaak [ was a friend ] he tryed many times explaining to me the 3D code just liked to say sorry ok ? hope he heard it

he's one of the best friends i HAD!
well, reason why i banned you was:

Quote:
Originally posted by sidd
1. you want everything done for you
2. you don't listen to anyone's advice
3. you dont keep open mind about others opinions, you'r simply too closed in your own opinion and WAY too ignorant.

as its sayd:
"opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"
apparently some assholes stinks more than others (not that i have experience)

and few more things,

1. school system doesn't matter,
I learned AVS related math and school math seperately, as native english speaker you have TONS of material to explore in .net
www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

2. age doesnt matter,
Atero made freakin 4D cube with ssc when he was 15 (maybe 14 or 16 ), some people have started doing invert + water + rottoblitter + simple compos when they are 20/30/whatever

3. its all about LEARNING
you can't learn to swim by letting people tell you how to swim and show you how to swim, you must jump to the bloody water and learn to swim yourself and have some patience

Phi = (1+sqrt(5))/2
Old 12th November 2004, 12:03   #58
Mr_Nudge
Major Dude

well said there jaak.

justfuckinggoogleit.com - that's awesome, not as good a bitchmakemeasandwich.com though.

Click here
Old 12th November 2004, 13:19   #59
vanderphunck

here's the formula of a cube:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Superellipsoid.html

Just set n=infinity.
Old 12th November 2004, 15:04   #60
PAK-9
Major Dude

I'd just like to add as a callback reference... you smell

...innit
Old 12th November 2004, 17:38   #61
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

Quote:
With superscope and convolution filter? I've heard talk about a custom water effect, but never seen one actually, it's one of those urban AVS legends
*cough*

Old 12th November 2004, 17:55   #62
dirkdeftly
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to dirkdeftly
I think i was 14. And looking back on it, it's really not that great of an achievement. I'm just the first one that thought about it (or at least, the first one that followed through).

And since Oussy brought it up: MaTT, you suck.
http://www.flatface.net/~dirkdeftly/ Dig Me!

"guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders" --E. E. Cummings
Old 13th November 2004, 02:45   #63
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

anybody else wanna insult me? maybe im ignorant, mostly stupid, i came here for fun; not insults this kinda helps but and Sidd the eduamacation systems are SCREWED!, hmmm let me think thanks Jaak; you really pointed out some annoying stuff about me, only others opinions help me... i dont seem to be able to do it:

#1 Were do i start for the basics then?
#2 Then i might start on 3D, but im too damn busy...::!
Quote:
soon coming a maths exam and 4 assignments

Old 13th November 2004, 02:46   #64
MaTTFURY
Major Dude

hey UnConeD by user request could you close this topic after the next 6 posts?

Old 13th November 2004, 03:19   #65
Tuggummi
Bin King

Quote:
anybody else wanna insult me?
Ooh! Ooh! I do! I do!

Uhm, Matt. uuh, you suck. Because *mumbles* you just do Now go off to the.... m-i-l-k-d-r-o-p forums, but in my experience it is even harder than AVS (and it smells).

Texer Resources

Probably both...
Old 13th November 2004, 07:18   #66
sidd
Major Dude

Quote:
anybody else wanna insult me? maybe im ignorant, mostly stupid, i came here for fun; not insults this kinda helps but and Sidd the eduamacation systems are SCREWED!
I am not insulting you.

Read my posts.

Stop complaining.

Our education system is comparable to anywhere else in the world. There is nothing major wrong with it.
Old 13th November 2004, 08:21   #67
Mr_Nudge
Major Dude

yeah, i learn goodly enuf to rite good....

Click here
Old 13th November 2004, 11:51   #68
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Not an insult, merely a tip for your own safety:

Stay away from these forums for a while before things get out of hand.
Just start messing around with AVS on your own and try to see what you can come up with on your own, this will also give a great oppurtunity to further develop your own style instead of following our leads.

Then, when you've got some base experience to build up from, come back again and we'll be pleased to help you furter. Like this, we're not going to make process together anyhow.

Old 13th November 2004, 13:22   #69
mysterious_w
Forum King

I'm lazy and can't be arsed to read this topic from the beginning, but was it like my rant except not as well thought out, and he then started to insult people so everyone just ripped him to shreds?

If so, cool.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS