Old 12th May 2005, 18:54   #1
Morter

I'm not sure if this is on-topic...

Ok. When I went to upgrade my Winamp [not Pro], I clicked on the upgrade the pre-existing Pro link, but I didn't realize that it said Pro. I clicked before I read, but then I realized it before it finished downloading, so I cancelled it.

Now this file is sitting on my desktop saying the file is in use by some other program. I restarted my comp, and it still says that, even though both Winamp, Firefox, and their respective system tray agents were off.

Think you could help a bit? Specifically what kind of program would use your incomplete installation file?
Morter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 18:57   #2
Morter

Oh, by the way, semi-update.

I re-downloaded the same installer, and wrote it over this file. Now its a complete Pro-installer/upgrader, which is useless to me, but still cannot be deleted.

>= \
Morter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 19:15   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Weird. What's your Windows OS? What other processes are running concurrently?

Try using Killbox > http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/killbox.exe

In the "Full path of file to delete" box, browse to/type in the path to the downloaded file. Checkmark "Standard File Kill" (default setting) and click the "Delete" button (little red circle with a white cross). That should get rid of it, but if not, checkmark "delete on reboot" instead. Note that Killbox will probably create a C:\!Submit folder with a backup of deleted files (mainly because Killbox is ostensibly used for killing malware, and the purpose of the !Submit folder is for submitting the malware to AV companies/sites, etc), but you can safely delete that folder ...

By the way, I suggest that you stick with 5.08d or 5.08e for now, until the known bugs with 5.09 are fixed in 5.091 (due hopefully within the next week).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support