Old 23rd November 2006, 18:59   #1
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

How many times have you been cut?

...cut by a surgeon, that is.

(I also posted this over at Pab's, but since there are some older folks like me here who may have had some surgeries but who aren't members over there...)

In late 1995 I had a herniated disc in my lower back (L5/S1), so in January of the next year I had a microdiscectomy (a surgical procedure in which they make a small incision and remove a small amount of disc tissue). It left a 1/2-inch vertical scar on my lower back.

And this past Friday (11/17) I had a discectomy (a surgical procedure in which they make a large incision and remove a large amount of disc tissue). I now have a 2-inch diagonal scar on the front of my neck.

They went in through that incision, pushed aside the esophagus, trachea, and muscle tissue, cut away disc tissue from between cervical vertebrae C5, C6 and C7, and did a level-2 fusion with a section of cadaver bone. I had to pay extra for the cadaver bone - I was told they had to dig up 17 graves before finding a corpse with the same blood type as mine.

The actual name of the procedure as written on the paperwork is "discectomy, C5/C6/C7, w/ level-2 fusion & anterior titanium plating".

In case you've never had any of your bones welded together (whether or not it involved a dead person's bones), a "level-2 fusion" is a surgical procedure in which they weld three of your bones together (two fusion points) - and possibly with a dead person's bones. In my case, they welded a piece of a generous - although dead - person's bone to three of my vertebrae. I guess it would have been too weird if they welded a piece of a generous living person's bone to my vertebrae. Although finding that person would have been easier. I'd just walk around the hospital until I see someone missing two inches of a finger. "Hey, thanks!"

Speaking of which, I failed to ask what part of the cadaver's skeletal structure was used. A rib? A finger? A pelvis? I'll call my neurosurgeon on Monday and ask him. Now I'm curious. Or maybe I don't really want to know.

Then they bolted a section of titanium plating to the front of my vertebrae. Now, the neurosurgeon told me that the titanium plating will not set off airport metal detectors. It's not that I don't trust him, but rather than take the chance of standing in a security line for two hours just to have the alarm go off and then have three TSA rent-a-cops stand on my head because I can't generate an official document of medical explanation, I'm going to either Google it or buy my own metal detector and try walking through it. I'll check out which is the cheaper option tomorrow.

And finally, I was sent home with a stack of prescriptions, which included five-dozen Dilaudid. If you've never had an encounter with lovely Dilaudid - what the fuck, you wouldn't remember if you did or not. WOOHOO!

In case you're wondering why I had all this done, it an was elective surgery. I read about it, and was very curious. OK, not really. I had two herniated discs between my three lowest cervical vertebrae, which were pinching off the nerves that went from my spinal cord to my left arm.

So, tell us about any surgeries YOU'VE had. Especially if they involve scars that resemble murder attempts, bolting chunks of metal into your body, or becoming integrated with cadaver bones. Or Dilaudid. WOOHOO!
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:29   #2
mysterious_w
Forum King

Circumcision.

Age 7.

They gave me the pain medication too late for it to take effect before I woke up.

FUCKING BRILLO

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:36   #3
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
<from top down...>
Fractured Skull
Burst artery in head
Broken nose twice
Fractured eye socket
Broken teeth
Dislocated shoulders
Dislocated hip
Dislocated elbow
Broken arm
Broken left wrist three times
Broken right wrist twice
Broke two fingers, and metacarpals
Broke all ribs on right side, three on left
appendix removed
Tore ligaments in right leg
busted hip - metal pins
busted knee - more metal pins
broken toes
broken leg various times

So currently I have a plate and pins in my wrist, two pins through my hip, a rod down through my femur, plates on tib and fib, pins in my knee and ankle, and a few other pins besides. For the most part I don't have any problems at the airport, though I do carry scans of my x-rays, and I have a card stating that I have implants. Generally metal detectors at the airports have the sensitivity turned down to avoid flase positives such as this.

Number of times under the knife - seven, at last count.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:43   #4
Schmeet
Major Dude

Hurnia op. when I was about 10/11ish.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:48   #5
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

ermmm never

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 20:58   #6
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Lesseee

Had my Tonsils out when I was little.
Had a broken left wrist when I was about 11
Had a broken thumb.
Got run over( or more acurately got taken up by a car into his windshield and my head went through the windshield and then tossed about thiry feet, where I landed face down all over Northern Blvd. LI) I had a broken left wrist; my right leg looked like a prezel from being smacked. It had a torn anterior cruciate ligament or( acl) The Menicus both lateral and Medial were completely torn and out of six, four were shot! I had a torn Styloid of the wrist(it allows one to rotate the wrist) I had an Ulnae Nerve Transposition. Palm Tendon scaring(scraped) and wore a leg braces of different types for almost five years. My nose was broke..but clean.(I have a very good nose) I had all my toenails ripped off on one foot and three on the other...

What?
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:40   #7
JFASI
Major Dude

Not once.

Certified Spam Connoisseur.
JFASI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 23:12   #8
fc*uk

my wife does that shit scor ... don't envy you. By the way, Titanium will not set off metal detectors. See, its not magnetic, its electrons can not be rearranged in to up/down manner to make it magnetic; titanium is too rigid, atomically. Thus, it is used for things like spine surgery. I got shit loads of titanium petical screws that just site there. I wanna magnetize them with a god damed car battery and do something cool with them, but I can't do it.

By the way, they did not dig up dead people for your fused bone... They took it from a cadaver (body donated in the name of "medical science") in the hospital ... then they autoclaved it at 121C .... so that bone was so sterile you could eat a steak off it after they were done and it would be more clean than one of the plates in your kitchen

Anyway, no one as ever put a knife to me besides, well, the circ....
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 01:32   #9
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
Lesseee

Had my Tonsils out when I was little.
Had a broken left wrist when I was about 11
Had a broken thumb.
Got run over( or more acurately got taken up by a car into his windshield and my head went through the windshield and then tossed about thiry feet, where I landed face down all over Northern Blvd. LI) I had a broken left wrist; my right leg looked like a prezel from being smacked. It had a torn anterior cruciate ligament or( acl) The Menicus both lateral and Medial were completely torn and out of six, four were shot! I had a torn Styloid of the wrist(it allows one to rotate the wrist) I had an Ulnae Nerve Transposition. Palm Tendon scaring(scraped) and wore a leg braces of different types for almost five years. My nose was broke..but clean.(I have a very good nose) I had all my toenails ripped off on one foot and three on the other...

What?
You sure we aren't twins, seperated at birth???

Old 24th November 2006, 01:37   #10
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Titanium will not set off metal detectors. See, its not magnetic, its electrons can not be rearranged in to up/down manner to make it magnetic; titanium is too rigid, atomically.
Cool. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
By the way, they did not dig up dead people for your fused bone...
I know, I was just kidding. (They gave me some paperwork on receiving tissue from a recently-deceased donor.) Plus, I was flying on pain meds when I originally wrote that post. Full of silliness, I was.

And ethan_h...wow, man, that's a lot of work. I think you're officially classified as a cyborg.

ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 02:37   #11
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just once. I was six years old. It wasn't pleasant.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 05:10   #12
Jay
Moderator Alumni

i have never had any sort of interior surgery. The worst thing I have had done is oral and toe surgery (no, not in the same day)
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 05:20   #13
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
<from top down...>
Fractured Skull
Burst artery in head
Broken nose twice
Fractured eye socket
Broken teeth
Dislocated shoulders
Dislocated hip
Dislocated elbow
Broken arm
Broken left wrist three times
Broken right wrist twice
Broke two fingers, and metacarpals
Broke all ribs on right side, three on left
appendix removed
Tore ligaments in right leg
busted hip - metal pins
busted knee - more metal pins
broken toes
broken leg various times
Damn, either you are completely reckless or just plain unlucky.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 07:23   #14
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I've been "cut" twice. It was in the same surgery. I don't remember the name of what I had to require surgery though. I do know that my neck was swollen quite a bit and I couldn't hear out of my left ear. Now I have a scar on my neck and behind my left ear. I also lost some feeling in the outer part of my left ear as a result of the surgery. I also lost some hearing as well.

Before the surgery I had dangerously high temperatures >105. The thermometer once said 107. As a result of the high temps I had hallucinations. After the temp spike it would drop to below 96 and I would shake uncontrollably for about 30 minutes.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 07:56   #15
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

when I first read the thread title, the first thing I thought of was:

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 08:24   #16
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
Primarily reckless (I think I've gotten a bit more careful in recent years), with a dash of unlucky thrown in for good measure.

Old 24th November 2006, 08:58   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

I got a friend like you Ethan. Back in the day, he always ended up in the hospital. I'd smash a dirt bike into pieces and walk away, he'd end up in the hospital nearly every summer.

I think that unlucky doesn't go away. He's 42 now, and last year he clipped the tailgate of his truck while riding an ATV. Broke all his ribs, busted his jaw, knocked some teeth out....

Brian has been folded, spindled, ran over by a semi..... He survives, but he is a hazard to only himself.

I did the same stuff and never got hurt enough to need a hospital. Bad road rash, busted ribs.... I have always walked away.... Not to say, I haven't got really banged up and worn a rib belt for a month ..... here and there ....

When stuff like that happens it tells you something... If I were Brian, I probably wouldn't even drive a car!. It's like Kennedys should not drive or fly airplanes.

Other guys can get away with this stuff, you and Brian need to watch it.

So like no hang-gliding okay?. I'll let ya know how it was

As far as the subject of the post, I've had some stitches for this and that. Busted my nose a few times and have cracked a couple of fingers.... busted ribs... nothing that needed a doc...

Last edited by rockouthippie; 24th November 2006 at 09:29.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 09:28   #18
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Yeah, but in my defence, the cause of some of that was a car crash, a 60mph train, and an avalanche. You should see what I've walked away from without a scratch

Old 24th November 2006, 09:45   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

Sometimes I do wonder if it matters. I used to ride bikes fast. I have a preference for V4 bikes like V65 Magna and Vmax. Vintage ones were a lot better.

With hypersonic travel not killing me or anybody else, the closest I ever came to buying the farm was in a hardware store. A pallet of plywood slipped loose, and slammed me into the wall. Luckily, the wall was softer than me, so I ended up standing in their office, rather fubar. There have been a couple of more minor incidents I've had proving that the human body is harder than interior walls or ceilings.... I was a roofer for a while and fell through more than one ceiling.

So are you gonna die in a spectacular fireball from taking some risks or are you gonna just bite it from shopping at the hardware store?.

You take major risks and almost die because of a bad pallet jack.... smashed like a bug by a ton of plywood...

But then, back then, sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous.....

Sometimes it doesn't make sense. It isn't the riskiest things that I ever did that came close to offing me.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 24th November 2006 at 10:00.
Old 24th November 2006, 09:59   #20
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

I guess you have a point. I do a lot of climbing and whatnot, and I guess that I make the assumption that if I'm gonna go, it will be some spectacular fall or something. Yet the closest I've come to meeting my maker was with a simple fall - slipped backwards and drove a 3 inch nail through my skull, puncturing an artery in the process. Damn near bled out completely. Not exactly the spectacular death I had anticipated.

Old 24th November 2006, 10:11   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

A guy I used to work with roofing. Roofing isn't real dangerous... Ya fall off or through the ceiling of a house once in a while... usually you don't get hurt. I never did. But dude hit a rose bush when he fell, it wen't right through him.

It didn't kill him, but real close. Who would figure a 3 ft rose bush would kill you?.

I've fallen a couple floors and hit pavement. That just knocks the wind out of you, and some scrapes. Falling on dirt usually just makes you dirty. Hit a little rose bush......and it's a whole different ball game..

I never saw anybody get hurt bad doing roofing except this guy... weird.... That's kind of the same thing as you and the nail. If it hadn't been for the nail, you probably wouldn't have been hurt at all.....

Pallet jacks... a rose bush... an errant nail?. Maybe we should go hang-gliding?.
Old 24th November 2006, 19:18   #22
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
When I read Ethan's post, I thought of this guy:

I know a couple of guys in their late 40s who continue to race motorcross and engage in full-contact football only to wind up getting injured again and again. Yep, they have families depending on them.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 20:11   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
Primarily reckless (I think I've gotten a bit more careful in recent years), with a dash of unlucky thrown in for good measure.
I told people you got those scars from Dueling!

* * If we're "Twins Separated At Birth I hafta' rearrange my thoughts!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 03:19   #24
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed over the summer, so does that count as one overall cut or four separate cuts?
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 03:57   #25
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i have a few thousand cuts in my mouth every time i brush my teeth.. does that count?
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 16:40   #26
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
The only one I've had was a stitch job on my right palm a couple years ago when I was maybe 12 (Step-mom gave me a glass bottle of Coke, the laces on my boots caught onto my lace holders, I tripped and got a chunk of glass shard in my hand), but in that case, I had already cut myself for the docs...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 17:39   #27
ASD5A
Titeleinzigartigkeit

lets see...

at the age of five i got two of my toes sewed on after they were sedated.
at age of 8 i crushed my left arm near the wrist from falling of the couch (well the tall end of the couch).

since that i have had only injurys on the surface of my body like getting stabbed into the hand or getting removed about 15 squareinces of skin in a motorcycling accident.

oversized e-penis replacement
ASD5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 19:21   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by razzinno
I know a couple of guys in their late 40s who continue to race motorcross and engage in full-contact football only to wind up getting injured again and again. Yep, they have families depending on them.
Maybe you could wipe my chin, or pull out my rocking chair for me.
Old 26th November 2006, 07:29   #29
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Most of the time it was me getting hurt and the ER fixing, without having to do much additional cutting. Nothing big, just an occasional broken bone and/or stitches.

As for scars from the stitches, I have one faint one under my chin from a childhood bicycle wreck, a big one on my knee from slipping on ice running out to my car to go out with a gal that had just agreed to let me take her out(knee was sliced open by a sharp piece of gravel that was being held in place by the ice), and a 7 inch one up my hamstring from running into a tree while trying to catch a football (the tree branch broke and sliced my skin). That's all - nothing real life threatening.

Most of the life-threatening things that have happened to me were lucky situations where I didn't get hurt at all.

4 wisdom teeth will come out soon - a lil late at 28 years old, but the dentist thought they had come in fine until recently.

The meds that I've been given for all that were always some sort of ************* with *********** (I may not have spelled those right). I didn't notice anything special about their effects - I'm told you'd have to take more than a usual dose to get any sort of high.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 20:51   #30
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to cmountford
Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
Hurnia op. when I was about 10/11ish.
what type of hernia?

I'm a DJ. You can DL my mixes free from my website: www.djcmount.com

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
cmountford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 20:55   #31
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
The meds that I've been given for all that were always some sort of ************* with *********** (I may not have spelled those right). I didn't notice anything special about their effects - I'm told you'd have to take more than a usual dose to get any sort of high.
You are wrong about that LOL...they must have given you whimpy doses if in fact it was ***********. Following my hernia surgery, they gave me vicodins (10 mg ***********, 500 mg acetominophen) (2 every 3-6 hours). And let me tell you I was HELLA out of it...I'd randomly start laughing uncontrollably for like a half hour.

Later on I was prescribed ********s (oxycodone), and that put me hella out of it as well. I mean everything was happy and I'd just laugh at random stuff and just feel really happy and carefree.

You have the right to refrain from posting unless you write in the "rap battles" thread. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court by mods.
Old 16th January 2008, 21:18   #32
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
I've had too many broken bones, skull fractures, and other various surgeries in my lifetime to even begin listing. But I will say this...

Last year I had both my appendix and tonsils replaced (supplied by a deceased organ donor) because I missed them and wanted them back!

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 21:50   #33
cmountford
The Rapper
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
I've had too many broken bones, skull fractures, and other various surgeries in my lifetime to even begin listing. But I will say this...

Last year I had both my appendix and tonsils replaced (supplied by a deceased organ donor) because I missed them and wanted them back!
rofl ftw

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions