CDDB problems (Gracenote Services No Longer Work In Winamp: Reason Why Explained)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGueu
    • May 2014

any news about a new winamp with a subtitute to gracenote?

you said that in the end of the year there will be a new winamp with something to replace gracenote at the auto tag. is there any ETA on this? if not, do you know of a plug-in to replace the connection to gracenote and to give me access to another database so winamp can auto-tag my files again? any option i tried (including those you suggested about mp3tag) just sucks.
    i need to bulk convert 3600+ songs from flac to mp3, and my softwares just keep deleting my idtag. winamp was just the best solution to auto tag this. i work now with 4 different software just to get what winamp gave me, and it's not even close...

Comment

• djpete
      Major Dude
      • Apr 2004

the Godfather will do all that in a few seconds.
      Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
      Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• Abjdsd
        Banned
        • Jan 2015

Love the site, and keep on keeping on!

Comment

• TheGueu
          • May 2014

Originally Posted by djpete View Post
          the Godfather will do all that in a few seconds.
          http://www.jtclipper.eu/thegodfather/index.html
          does this use an online database to update the id tags, like winamp used to with gracenote?

Comment

• DrO
            • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by TheGueu View Post
            you said that in the end of the year there will be a new winamp with something to replace gracenote at the auto tag. is there any ETA on this?
            the only eta as has been stated for months in the official news thread (as the initial eta stated of mid-2014 was found to not be realistic with other things going on) is some point in 2015 - which could be anytime between now and the end of the year (barring any other unexpected bumps in the road).
            WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• djpete
              Major Dude
              • Apr 2004

TheGueu...
              supports online database lookups from, e.g., Amazon, discogs, or freedb
              So does this software..
              Mp3tag is a powerful and easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of audio files.

And more here hope it helps..
              A well tagged MP3 collection makes everything from organization to playback easier. Keep reading for a closer look at your fellow readers' favorite to
              Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
              Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• rails35
                • Jan 2015

Both EAC and dBpoweramp offer the GD3 database (www.getdigitaldata.com), which I've found to be accurate and has great cover images. It's built into the registration fee for dbpoweramp, but since EAC is free they just charge a small fee to the user for unlimited access. I suspect Winamp could follow a similar model as EAC making it optional for a user to purchase it if they wanted.

Comment

• Aminifu
                  Forum King
                  • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by rails35 View Post
                  Both EAC and dBpoweramp offer the GD3 database (www.getdigitaldata.com), which I've found to be accurate and has great cover images.
                  What is(are) the format(s) and resolution of the images? I've found that jpeg images that are at least 600x600 work good enough for me at the minimum to maximum display sizes I use. I also prefer those encoded with the least amount of compression. I'm willing to accept a larger file size for faster rendering speed.

The website's description sounds good (quoted below), but it is not specific.

"Get Digital Data includes high resolution images of CD/DDVD artwork to allow for the best possible image on PC and TV displays. Lower resolution images provided by second generation databases result in poor images when displayed on large displays such as TV's. By scanning our own artwork, we can insure the highest resolution and exact matches to the CD/DVD."
                  Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                  Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• rails35
                    • Jan 2015

I'm not sure of the format of the images from GD3, but when saved to the folder they are jpeg. Most images are 1000x1000, which look nice on my TV mediaserver UI. My CD collection is a small sample size, but when compared to musicbrainz and freedb, GD3 seems to have more consistent results meaning less manual editing.

I'm not a programmer, so it's not of much use to me, but there's an api posted at the following link, maybe someone could take a look at it:

Comment

• MrSinatra
                      Forum King
                      • Dec 2004

I forget what DrO said he was going to do, but I suggested that the future tagging in winamp work like EAC, where you can pick what plugin/service you want to use. EAC uses freedb, Cuetools DB, and allows one to pay to use GD3 and it could use others as long as the plugin for it uses the EAC API and has access to the service.

that way, a user has multiple choices and if one is revoked, like gracenote was, its not dead in the water, like it is now.

I believe the next ver will use the musicbrainz DB, and so I hope lots of options are given to the user, b/c imo that DB spams all kind of things into the tags.

EDIT: I should clarify that while I will miss gracenote, I have np leaving it behind b/c it was costly and forced exclusion, and I also like musicbrainz, but I just want options as to what tags to allow MB to insert.
                      PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
                      --
                      BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
                      Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
                      Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Aminifu
                        Forum King
                        • Aug 2011

Hi rails35,

Yeah, 1000x1000 images would look great. But a huge number of them may cause memory problems due to the way Winamp currently handles artwork. When Winamp was supplying artwork on it's own, the images were 200x200. Too small for many of the ways artwork is now used. I'm confident something appropriate will get worked out.

Thank you for the info.
                        Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                        Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Russ1162
                          • Sep 2001

CDDB (CDex)

This is a cd extractor program that has build in CDDB working services.

Comment

• venturedj
                            • Dec 2003

Gracenote can still be found

I have looked around for those that want to use the gracenote feature. Unfortunately it steers us away from our beloved Winamp...

Here is what I've managed to find:

Hope this might help a bit

Comment

• MasterGoa
                              • Nov 2005

Just putting this out there, but a few people seem to have been able to hack the dl_gracenote file and point it to freedb.

I do not know how though.

Anything can be done, even if temporary?

Comment

• pat35249
                                • Jun 2015

Oh!You do have a point there, Muscbrainz does pay attention to detail !

Comment

Working...
                                X