Old 8th October 2009, 07:05   #41
hightymes3912

I hope this forum isn't closed.

The shuffling problem. Maybe fixed.

I've been using winamp for the longest time and with each version it gets better. I must have not been shuffling my songs for some time to not notice that there is a shuffling problem until now or maybe the problem jus recently occured. the problem was that when i turned on shuffle winamp would jump to the last song then start over again starting from song1 to song2 etc.

What I did to fix this, it seems fixed, is move gen_jumpex.dll from winamp's plugin folder to some other folder and I also moved all of the ml_*.dll. I haven't exactly figured out which of these dll or combination of dll is preventing winamp from shuffling. When I moved these files to a different folder winamp shuffles. I hope this helps someone.

Funny how shuffling might be more complicated than you think.
hightymes3912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 07:54   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes. Please let us know exactly which plugin was causing the problem.

I've got latest gen_jumpex.dll (JTFE) and all default ml plugins installed from 5.56
except for ml_orb (Winamp Remote interface), and I can't reproduce the problem.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:11   #43
GODJonez

It would be nice to know what you have found out, hightymes3912 since for me this problem happened on a computer with just installed Windows and just installed Winamp, so everything in Winamp was at defaults, including plugins.

Then again, the same kind of setup for another computer and the problem doesn't appear.
GODJonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 18:53   #44
hightymes3912

my previous post is partially wrong.

I guess this shuffle thing still isn't resolved somewhere on the forums. I just thought I couldn't find the answer. Previously I forgot to post my winamp version, winamp about box is telling me its v5.552 installed on drive letter g: I have an older version of winamp also installed that is shuffling perfectly. Win XP. PC is working fine. No spyware or viruses.

With more testing I've found that the previous time where shuffle was turned on but the songs seems un-random was where I had 3000+ songs in the playlist. I don't know if it was the directory structure or the files in those various directories (some in different drive letters) that caused winamp to shuffling by only going to the last song then going in order started from song1 to song2 to song3 etc.

I've reduced the list to 61 songs and included all of winamp's plugins that I moved to a different folder previously to try to root out the problem. It appears that winamps .dlls were not at fault since just reducing the list seems to get it to shuffle almost* random. Now with the playlist to 61 songs this time it would jump around and is random for about a few songs then it goes in order (again) from x song for a long stretch. And winamp also goes backwards thru the playlist for a long stretch. Sometimes it shuffles the song but would almost play the same songs in the same order only with slight changes. Worth mentioning that I have shuffle Morph Rate all the way to Fast. So please don't remove your .dlls they might not be the 'cause of the problem.

How to reproduce the problem yourself is beyong me. I thought I was the only one having this. Instead of reinstalling winamp and possibly having to reinstall my plugins I just installed winamp v5.552 again but to a different directory on drive letter I: this time. No extra DSP installed only default with default input and output plugins. Playlist of 49 songs having shuffling on will go to last song, skip first song, go to play 2nd, 3rd etc then jump to the middle and play backwards. It may appear random at times but sumtimes it plays the same set of songs in the same order with each shuffle cycle.

If I put 200 songs in the playlist (all songs from external hard disk drive letter L:, non-unicode) shuffle will go to last song then first then in order til song 200 then go to 100 sumthing and then go backwards. Hardly random. Shuffle will always start off the same way and not choose a random song to start with. Using the playlist of 49 songs again, it will not shuffle anymore like before but jus go in order, how long who knows. Other than having two previous installed versions of winamp now, seems that the problem is easily reproducible out of the box.

Will try latest version of winamp later, hopefully it supports microsoft applocale.
Old 8th October 2009, 19:15   #45
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, weird.
I've got over 40,000 entries in my playlist
and shuffle works just fine.

Applocale? Winamp is a unicode program now :-)
Old 8th October 2009, 19:37   #46
GODJonez

There's no problem with unicode; there are a lot of files with Japanese and other non-ASCII characters in their file names in my playlist. On one computer (this one) Winamp works correctly, on my laptop with the same files the Shuffle feature is broken. And it didn't even work with a simple playlist of a few files with all of them having file names with no special characters. So that really cannot be the problem.

I know Winamp is not open source, but it might help if we knew the exact method Winamp uses to randomize the playlist. At least it would give a good starting point to find out where it could fail on some computers.
Old 8th October 2009, 19:55   #47
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Have you tried a clean install of 5.56?
Delete %ProgramFiles%\winamp & %AppData%\winamp folders
then reinstall.
If you need to backup anything first, then see here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#clean
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#backup2

Maybe there's an old version of gen_jumpex or some other plugin present?
eg. if you install a new version of Winamp over an old one, but uncheck Extended Jump To File Support in the installer options, then the old version of gen_jumpex.dll will still be present (assuming it was kept checkmarked for a previous installation).

Other than that, I'm totally at a loss.
We simply cannot reproduce the problem.

Though attaching "List Of Plugins" and "HijackThis" logs to your post always helps...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs
Old 8th October 2009, 20:06   #48
GODJonez

Just in case you missed it, my case was installing Winamp on a clean system, so no previous version was present. And I did include the plugin list and Hijackthis logs. My original post with all the info: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....43#post2465343 (post #2465343, in the first page of this thread)

I'll try a clean install of the latest Winamp later when I am forced to use that issue computer again.

If it doesn't help, I guess I'll need to run Winamp through WinDBG on two computers, one where it works and the other where it doesn't and try to spot where it does different...
Old 8th October 2009, 20:11   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, those logs are for Winamp 5.54, not 5.56.
And are the exact same processes still loading/running?
Is everyone here using Zabkat Explorer2 Lite, maybe?
(just looking for any possible common denominators)

EDIT: No, countryshack isn't. Just GODJonez is, heh.

Have you tried the suggested fix from here?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....02#post2519502
http://archives.lists.indymedia.org/...st/005000.html
Old 8th October 2009, 22:00   #50
hightymes3912

I haven't the time to do a fresh reinstall of xp. I've downloaded the latest version of winamp and installed to a new folder on the same drive where xp is installed. Still the shuffle problem persist. I do not use or have installed Zabkat Explorer2 Lite ever.

Could this problem be because I have different winamp versions installed to different drives. Maybe some day later I will do a clean install as DJ Egg mentioned following the cleanup/backup steps mentioned. Could it be that the mp3s need to be in the same drive where xp is installed. Just throwing stuff up there.

Yes DJ Egg I've found out that winamp does support unicode now and really well. But I can't put applocale out to pasture yet since I can't get winamp to support unicode for file names in a stream. Specifically enter this stream http://www.mukulcast.com in to add>add URL
I've post a thread about it. its id # is 313550. Someone please reply to this post.

I will try the suggestion fix. If shuffle doesn't work I will jus use two versions of winamp, one that shuffles fine and the new version for added function.

.....and could someone tell me why my profile signature isn't included in my post. I have show signature checked when replying but no sig. I'll have to add one manually. Could it be because my signature is 4 lines long?

Winamp v5.552 + SRS Audio Sandbox + Microsoft Applocale
VST winamp bridge + Izotope Ozone/Spectron
presets: myresonate_pdsv0.02; osc-descent-beta
Old 8th October 2009, 23:25   #51
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, I meant a clean install of Winamp 5.56, not of the OS.

It doesn't matter where you install Winamp, if it says inidir={26}\Winamp in %programfiles%\winamp\paths.ini
then settings will be read from/written to %appdata%\winamp

Yes, please try adding that [ force shuffle ] line to your winamp.m3u8 file
and if the feature is enabled, try unchecking 'Load playlist into the queue when Winamp starts' in:
Winamp -> Prefs -> Jump To File -> Queue List tab
(as referenced in ^that^ post).

Recommended method:
Uncheck ^that^ feature
Close Winamp
Edit both winamp.m3u & winamp.m3u8 in Notepad accordingly.
Reopen Winamp.

Re: unicode display for streams
Yup, that'll probably be a serverside related config issue, not Winamp...
Old 9th October 2009, 18:17   #52
hightymes3912

As it turns out I do not have a paths.ini in any of the two winamp folders in my program files dir: winamp; winamp524
could it be elsewhere and if I need one could you send me one
as for adding [ force shuffle ] to each one of my winamp m3u and m3u8 file, remember I have multiple winamp installations, it still doesn't seem to work. I followed the steps carefully. The version of winamp that I used to test is 5.56. What i saw happen was that in app data the playlist file that was used by 5.56 was in Winamp5541. I have three winamp folders there in app data: Winamp, Winamp556, Winamp5541. I dont' know why it isn't using the winamp.m3u found in Winamp556. I edited all the winamp.m3u and m3u8 in all three of the directories. The result of these actions is still that winamp's shuffle isn't random enough for me. The shuffle will start off the same going to last song then to first then down the list, it will eventually get kinda random but at times it jus goes to a song and goes up the list and then down the list. On the first pass before it gets kinda random the shuffle will have to go all the way doen the list for a first pass. If I have 3000 songs I will have to press next track 3000 times and only after this does it get kinda better.

On the lighter side I think I have a hard disk with a fresh xp install around. Will try to install latest version of winamp on it.

Old 9th October 2009, 19:28   #53
hightymes3912

well i just got done installing the latest winamp on a fresh Xp installation on a hard disk that I had lyin' around. Using the same computer with that hard disk, shuffle seems to work fine on there. winamp version 5.54.
so i guess its either my multiple installs of winamp or sumthing else that is causing the shuffle problem on my current hard disk. I thought it might be sumthing wrong with the registry. Well there you have it what's next is a fresh install of winamp. I've seen the directions and its real lengthy.

Old 9th October 2009, 23:00   #54
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, there definitely should be a paths.ini in your %programfiles%\winamp root folder.

If it doesn't exist, then Winamp will just save/read all settings in the %programfiles%\winamp folder.

The default version will be which ever one you installed last....

Note: paths.ini definitely needs to exist under Vista & Windows 7,
otherwise it'll probably crash when trying to write to %programfiles%
(unless your Windows profile has permissions set to allow writing to %programfiles%, which it doesn't by default.)

paths.ini tells winamp where to save/read settings.

You can create your own in Notepad.

All it consists of is these two lines:

[Winamp]
inidir={26}\Winamp

Add a carriage return after the 2nd line to make 3 lines.

Make sure you save it in Notepad as "all files" (not as a .txt file),
i.e. it needs to be named paths.ini, not paths.ini.txt

{26} = %appdata%

which in WinXP resolves to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data

On Vista & Windows 7:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming

Note: %appdata% is a hidden folder by default,
so you'd need to make sure you can view hidden files & folders first via:
Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab.

So... all you'd need to do is make sure each respective paths.ini points to the correct settings folder.

e.g. the above version for the default installation,
change it to: inidir={26}\Winamp5441 for Winamp 5441, etc.

And you'd also need to make sure minst=1 is set in each winamp.ini file
(which is the setting to 'allow multiple instances')

Though I'm not sure why you need multiple installations of different versions in the first place...

Just stick to 5.56

You can just create a new shortcut icon if you want to run multiple instances which each save/read different settings:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....50#post1953650

Right-click desktop or inside any folder -> New -> Shortcut

Command line:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /INIDIR="%appdata%\winamp1"

OK

Name = Winamp 1

Repeat process:

Command line:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /INIDIR="%appdata%\winamp2"

OK

Name = Winamp 2

As for the shuffle problem...

Well, as you said, it works fine on a clean install, which proves that it's not broken.

I'm not sure exactly what's causing the problem for you and a few others, but yeah, maybe the multiple installs might have something to do with it, or just some bad config files somewhere/somehow...

A clean install is quite easy really...

Unless you need to make backups of anything which you can restore later
(media library database, playlist(s), bookmarks, etc)
then all you need to do is delete the Winamp program and settings folders @
%programfiles%\winamp & %appdata%\winamp
(repeat for multiple installs)
and then reinstall Winamp.

Sure, you could f-around with uninstalling Winamp first and deleting errant registry keys,
but it really isn't necessary :-)
Old 14th October 2009, 23:26   #55
Qb_Master

Send a message via ICQ to Qb_Master Send a message via AIM to Qb_Master
Add me to the list - Winamp was shuffling just fine then suddenly it stopped shuffling. Now it starts from the last track in the list (of 8450) and goes #1 #2 #3 #4 etc all the way down the list, whether shuffle is turned on or not.

This is obviously a bug in Winamp, not just a bunch of people who don't know how to press a button
Qb_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 02:26   #56
Qb_Master

Here I know that the mods can't seem to reproduce the problem, but I've recorded a video of what's happening so maybe they can figure something out based on it.

The video can be found either

http ://wikisend. com/download/502556/winamp_glitch2.avi here
or on youtube:
http ://www. youtube.com/watch?v=LnMTtzWoplU

If using the youtube vid, be sure to view it in high quality.

Hope this vid helps the winamp team figure out what's goin on here!
Old 16th October 2009, 03:07   #57
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Please zip up and attach your %appdata%\winamp\winamp.ini file, and you might as well stick the "List of Plugins" in the same zip. If we can reproduce it with the same settings, then maybe we can work out what setting causes it....
Old 16th October 2009, 04:24   #58
Qb_Master

Winamp shuffle bug

Okay here you go, it's in the attached file.

I couldn't find the 'plugins list' you speak of so I just wrote down the list of plugins I have in Winamp itself.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_data.zip (5.5 KB, 206 views)
Old 16th October 2009, 05:50   #59
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

FAQ -> List Of Plugins

ps. Your winamp.ini says "WAVer=5.541" :-/

[EDIT]

I tried using your winamp.ini with both 5.56 and internal beta 5.57 (not public)
and couldn't reproduce the problem. Shuffle works just fine.

I'm all out of ideas. Sorry.

Can anyone provide a surefire method of reproduction?

What do you all have in common?
What same program(s) might you have running concurrently?
Old 16th October 2009, 09:17   #60
Qb_Master

Not running anything out of the ordinary, I run firefox, mirc, pidgin winamp and notepad concurrently about all the time ..I use Windowblinds as well to apply my skin.

I didn't change any of my habits around the time it started doing this - I was just talking on IRC when I noticed that for being on shuffle it was being really repetitive. I thought it was an extreme coincidence at first actually (thinking that it managed to play like 10 songs in a row on shuffle ) but then realized it was glitching out like this.

Can't think of anything I was doing that would have effected it. I don't have any viruses/spyware or anything, in fact just got done scanning the entire PC a few days back.

Ftw: Just updated to 5.56 (the latest stable release) which did NOT fix it.
Old 16th October 2009, 09:40   #61
Qb_Master

Update - I just downgraded to 5.24 and shuffle works fine on that version. I am going to attempt to find the last version that has this glitch.

5.3 works fine
5.53 works fine
5.54 = FAIL

So the problem regards versions 5.54 and newer. For now I am going to downgrade to 5.53 but I really want to see this glitch fixed somehow eh..

Last edited by Qb_Master; 16th October 2009 at 10:09.
Old 16th October 2009, 10:54   #62
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, alas, I'm baffled.

Maybe someone will come by and eventually show us how to reproduce the problem.

It's got to be something causing it for a select few, because it works fine for the vast majority.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:18   #63
Qb_Master

Wells, you're a moderator ..is there any way you can see to it that one of the winamp coders/designers take a look at this thread and add it to their buglist? Or is there an IRC channel where they hang out etc?

Since the glitch only affects versions 5.54-current, I bet that they could revert the part of the code that has changed since then effecting playlist shuffle, at least until they figure out what's actually causing the glitch...
Old 16th October 2009, 13:15   #64
GODJonez

Okay, now I performed a clean install of Winamp v5.56 (x86) - Jul 1 2009 to the computer having these problems.

Before installing this version, I renamed my Application Data\Winamp folder (so that I can return my personal data later), uninstalled Winamp, deleted the Winamp folder by hand, and removed all references of Winamp from registry manually using regedit.

As I suspected, nothing changed. Shuffle feature in a brand new installation of Winamp is still as broken as it was before.

Now I did a comparison between two systems; this computer running Windows 7 RC where Winamp works, and my laptop running Windows XP where Winamp doesn't work correctly. One thing I noticed that Winamp was using msvcr71.dll on this computer, but no on the laptop. I got a theory that if Winamp is unable to load a DLL file, it just silently ignores this and tries to continue loading itself.

This was proven by placing msvcr71.dll file to System32 folder; Winamp loaded the file. Still, Shuffle feature didn't work.

This, however, makes me believe that Winamp is relying on some specific DLL file to preform the shuffle and list randomization operations but if it cannot load the DLL file for any reason, it just silently ignores the error and then behaves weirdly.

If this is the reason, indeed, it would be very nice if there was an option to either get Winamp to display errors of missing files, or to create a log file that would display this information. That would give a good starting point in finding out which file Winamp requires for the Shuffle feature.

I'll continue my investigation... I guess it's time to use tools such as Process Monitor to find out which DLL files Winamp attempts to load on startup that it doesn't find.
Old 16th October 2009, 18:48   #65
Brent2121

Yeah, it definitely has nothing to do with having a fresh install of the OS or Winamp. I've had it happen on a brand new laptop where I stuck a brand new hard drive in, installed XP (which formatted the drive), installed all the service packs, security updates, etc., enabled guest account usage, then installed winamp. Problem was still there.

And, as I've mentioned in some, if not all, of my posts regarding this, I've experienced this problem on 5 different computers (3 laptops, 2 desktops), and I think I've covered most of the possible scenarios... fresh OS installs, fresh winamp installs, multiple winamp install/uninstall (installed it, removed it, cleaned everything winamp related, reinstalled it), multiple simultaneous winamp installs (latests version + old version... something like 1.8 or 2.?), loading playlist with files from local drive, loading files from networked drive, loading files from attached USB drive, loading a few files, loading thousands of files, loading playlists, loading files directly, etc. One commonality is that I've only used XP. However, I do have different service packs installed on different machines. The one laptop that I used for the fresh install test mentioned above was SP3. I don't think the service packs have anything to do with it.

I was thinking that maybe it was my version of XP, since I've installed XP myself from the same CD on most of the machines. But then I remembered that I bought one of the laptops used and it came with XP SP2, and I haven't installed much additional software on it other than winamp.

I'm sure there's some common element that is causing this... although it's hard to imagine what it could be since I've done the completely fresh OS + winamp test. None of the people who can't reproduce it have mentioned whether or not they're using the guest account... and if not then they really haven't been paying attention, because I keep saying that this only occurs on the guest account (for me and several others -- I have seen at least one person say it happens on their non-guest account).

As far as explaing how to reproduce it... not sure how it's possible to give any more explanation. Install OS, install winamp, run winamp from guest account, load songs into playlist, press "shuffle" button", press "play" button. Last song in list should start playing. Press "next" button. First (or second... can't remember whether or not it skips the first song) song should play. Press "next" button. Next song down in the list should play. And so on.
Brent2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 18:53   #66
GODJonez

I don't even have Guest account active on my installation; I have only used Winamp on the administrator account (the one you create when installing Windows XP) and the problem happens with that account.
Old 16th October 2009, 19:01   #67
Brent2121

Quote:
Originally posted by GODJonez
I don't even have Guest account active on my installation; I have only used Winamp on the administrator account (the one you create when installing Windows XP) and the problem happens with that account.
Okay, but still, anyone who is trying to reproduce the problem and can't should try using the guest account, since it sounds like several people are only having it with that.

Hopefully this is obvious to them and they've tried it...

GODJonez: You might want to try enabling the guest account (if it's not in use) and seeing if that changes anything. Set it up so you have to enter a password to login as admin at startup. Might not work, but it's worth a shot.
Old 16th October 2009, 19:50   #68
Qb_Master

Guess it's worth mentioning that I'm on Xp as well.
Old 16th October 2009, 19:56   #69
GODJonez

I tried now in two different user accounts plus on Guest account, the behavior is the same on all of them: randomizing list and shuffle not working.

Also, I could not find any file that could be missing and causing this.
Old 20th October 2009, 08:33   #70
Lord Stanley

Just popping in to say that I just installed Winamp 5.56 and I am having the exact same problem...so add one more to the list! I am using a guest account, so I'm another one in that basket as well.

We had to reformat the computer due to a virus, and wiped everything clean and reinstalled Windows XP. The virus was not the culprit, as WinAmp worked fine up till the moment we decided to wipe the computer clean.

I downloaded Winamp and installed it, and voila...shuffle is not working. Just as the others, starts with the last song and then goes down the list from #1. Seems that two of the common themes are Windows XP and guest accounts, but not EVERYONE with the shuffle problem is running XP or guest accounts...so I don't know.

I'm really disappointed though, because I've been a faithful Winamp user since the 90's. Never used another program, never wanted to, never needed to. I even edit my iPod using Winamp so I don't have to install iTunes. But, a media player without shuffle is about as worthless as they come.

I'm praying this can be fixed...but have any of you had success downloading and installing earlier versions of Winamp to correct the shuffle problem? I could care less which version I have, as long as it A) Shuffles! and B) Is iPod compatible.
Lord Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 20:16   #71
Brent2121

Lord Stanley:
Did you try adding the Guest account to the Administrators group? I know that might not be a useable fix, but I'm interested to know if works to fix the shuffle bug.

I haven't had any luck with earlier versions either. I think (although I'm not positive) I even remember having it happen with a really old version (2.8, maybe... before they added the media library), which I was using up until about a year ago.
Old 20th October 2009, 22:22   #72
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Qb_Master
Wells, you're a moderator ..is there any way you can see to it that one of the winamp coders/designers take a look at this thread and add it to their buglist? Or is there an IRC channel where they hang out etc?

Since the glitch only affects versions 5.54-current, I bet that they could revert the part of the code that has changed since then effecting playlist shuffle, at least until they figure out what's actually causing the glitch...
I'm not just a moderator actually, heh.
None of the dev or beta team can reproduce the problem.
We've looked into it, and can't see any possible cause.
The shuffle code hasn't changed for a fair few years.
Something else is causing it, and until someone tells us what and/or how to reproduce the problem, alas, we can't fix it.

Can someone try removing all files from the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins folder except for the following:

in_mp3.dll
out_ds.dll
nscrt.dll
tataki.dll

Create a new "Backup" subfolder in the Winamp\Plugins folder
and move all files from the Plugins folder into it, except for the above.

Naturally, if there's audio file formats in your playlist other than mp3, then you'll also need to keep the relevant input plugin active, eg. in_vorbis for .ogg, in_flac for .flac, etc (Note: in_midi and in_mod also require read_file.dll)

Winamp will open in very basic form (classic skin, main, eq & pledit windows only).

Does this shuffle problem still persist?

If no, then start moving all the plugin files back from the Backup subfolder to the Plugins folder, closing & reopening Winamp inbetween until the problem reoccurs.

Move all dsp_*.dll, out_*.dll & vis_*.dll files back first (Note: vis_milk2 requires vms_desktop.dll).

Then move the gen_*.dll files back.
This will return Media Library, Modern Skin support, General Hotkeys, Tray Control & JTFE.

Finally move the ml_*.dll & pmp_*.dll plugins back.

If one of the plugins is causing the problem, then hopefully someone can now tell us which one...

If the problem persists even after disabling all plugins, then it's being caused by something else....
but at least we'll be one step nearer to determining what exactly...
Old 20th October 2009, 22:41   #73
Brent2121

Still no word of whether or not you, or any other developers have tried reproducing it using the guest account. Seems like that should be something you at least mention when saying that it can't be reproduced, since several of us have verified that we only experience the bug when using the guest account.

I feel like every time I point this out I must be using a white font on a white background.

I'll try the procedure you suggested.
Old 21st October 2009, 00:34   #74
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent2121
Still no word of whether or not you, or any other developers have tried reproducing it using the guest account. Seems like that should be something you at least mention when saying that it can't be reproduced, since several of us have verified that we only experience the bug when using the guest account.

I feel like every time I point this out I must be using a white font on a white background.

I'll try the procedure you suggested.
I've never used a Guest account before, heh.

I just activated it on my WinXP box....

and yes, I can now reproduce the problem

So... it looks like it's permissions-related.

Maybe %appdata%\winamp can't be written to on the (default) Guest account, or something?

Hold the front page!
Old 21st October 2009, 19:11   #75
Brent2121

Tried removing all files from %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins except in_mp3.dll, out_ds.dll, nscrt.dll, and tataki.dll, but it didn't fix it.
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:43   #76
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Fixed for next release
(please don't ask when it'll be available, because no-one knows yet).

Just tested with latest internal 5.57 beta build and can no longer reproduce the problem on my Windows 7 or XP Guest account (could never reproduce it on my main/admin profiles, but issue would affect any limited user profiles).
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:45   #77
GODJonez

Great to hear that, DJ Egg!

Can you state the exact thing causing this behavior so that in the mean time we could work around it?
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:53   #78
Brent2121

Quote:
Originally posted by GODJonez
Can you state the exact thing causing this behavior so that in the mean time we could work around it?
Agreed. I'm very curious as to what was causing it, since I tried giving the guest account full access to everything I could think of, but the only thing that would fix it was making guest an administrator.

Regardless, that's awesome that it's resolved (hopefully even for those who were experiencing it on admin accounts).
Old 21st November 2009, 04:02   #79
Braskus

Oh Noes

Yesterday morning winamp was working perfectly on Windows 7 RC and then when my new ram got here i formated and isntalled the Final and all i did was install my drivers and winamp and shuffle doesnt work... how can that be with only my drivers isntalled? which these drivers are only 2 nvidia drivers, 790i nForce drivers and GeForce 9 Series drivers... i allways backup my actualy winamp install folder when i format... then i isntall the same version of winamp and copy over the program folder which takes my plugins and such with it... which has worked as long as i can remember... then suddenly ive done the same thing now and it doesnt work... tryed various fixes people have reported to work and i realize Eggman said it was fixed for the next release but the exact same isntall on a clean windows 7 install suddenly doesnt work...
Braskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 13:32   #80
Braskus

Oops

Ignore Previous post, after another format to get another clean install winamp appears to work fine again... either way we cant seem to find an actual cause... but everybody else seems to be on XP or Vista so i decided i best point out it hapens somtimes in 7 aswell... it MIGHT be caused by Klite codec pack tho... just for reference... i have reinstalled that yet.
Braskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support