Old 21st January 2010, 19:44   #1
Maximz

ipod touch support?

does the new winamp update support ipod touch? i've been dieing to use winamp to play my ipod touch playlist.
Maximz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 19:47   #2
DrO

i don't believe it does or most of the recent versions (and the ml_ipod alternative doesn't either) due to issues in getting to the details on the device to be able to manage it properly (got to love Apple and their control over their devices to be locked into their own apps/services.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 03:39   #3
Maximz

blehhhh thats so not fair -_- and you cant even play the ipod touch off of itunes cuz everytime you touch something on the ipod even if its just to play a song from itunes it goes to resync to make the change and itunes locks up for a few seconds ugh stupid stuff -_-

honestly i love winamp for my music i set my commands so that i dont even have to have it visable i just press ctrl and page up and it plays the current song and then ctrl and left or right to skip... blehhhhhhhh this sucks i really wanna use my playlist from my ipod cuz its so much easier to access (i have like 2000 songs and i went through the trouble of renaming them on my ipod but not on my computer so its easier to browse through on my ipod LOL)

stupid apple >_<
Maximz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:48   #4
DrO

maybe it will be resolved in the nullsoft implementation or even via ml_ipod (alternative plug-in though i doubt there'll be any updates on that from what i'm reading unless things change). so i can understand the frustration but can also see why Apple would do it as it is their platform. can only suggest to keep an eye on client release notes or if there's an alternative way to access things (had thought there was a way to have the device appear like a usb drive but can't find anything to do with that now).

-daz
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:26   #5
jbond23

This sucks. Unfortunately the iPod is the market leader and the iPod Touch is an important part of their range. Similarly the iPhone is not exactly insignificant. If Winamp is to remain relevant, it really needs to support sync with both. If Sharepod can do it, there's no technical reason why Winamp can't.
jbond23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:55   #6
DrO

that is a fair point but unless there is an easy way for the native implementation to be fixed to work with the newer versions (in a way that isn't going to get Winamp/Nullsoft into trouble) then it's going to be one of those things that i feel is going to remain broken in the player.

as for Sharepod, that has the one real thing which Winamp's support doesn't have - the developer resources and interest to work on it. also Sharepod is a bad example as it's .NET app (Winamp isn't) and there's no indication of the license it is provided under and i doubt would be usable in the way that the winamp plugin/client design requires (as it appears to be something for Explorer from the looks of it).

sadly there's not much sign of hope at the moment, even ml_ipod is effectively stopped due to the newer Apple changes so there's really not much of an option other than other apps now (on a plus side tech support on the forums for such things has eased off).

despite the negative view - i'd love to find out that the issues are being worked on and to have egg on my face but nothing i've heard seems to indicate that'll be happening.

-daz
Old 5th March 2010, 10:22   #7
jbond23

Sharepod is a great, minimal app for copying-syncing music too and from an iPod. Highly recommended. The best bit about it is that it's really small and can be loaded and run from the disk area of an iPod so you always have it with you.

The point about technical issues is that Sharepod, Amarok, Foobar, mediamonkey and many others *can* sync with the latest iPods and iPhone. So it is technically possible. However, it may require playing a bit fast and loose with the DMCA and rules in some legislations that prevent reverse engineering. But that's not a whole lot different from what ml_ipod does with all the versions up to the iPod Classic. It just feels that the real problem is a lack of will on the part of AOL to actually deal with this. And that's what sucks.

ps. I'll try and avoid yet another rant about Apple but it's proving really hard. I can understand them wanting it all and using technical details to have it, but unfortunately iTunes still sucks and we need alternatives. It's not just that I happen to prefer Winamp but that we need to have alternatives.
jbond23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support