Old 5th June 2001, 12:01   #1
openwonder

hi. i have looked for a while for an answer to my question. i found nothing and i feel stumped.

my question: can i burn a bookmark file on cd? i know it is stored in a .bm file but i do not know if this can be made into an mp3. i know that if i had a pure .wav file it would be possible. does anybody know what i could do with the .bm file to get it burnt on a cd? i hope somebody can help me.

thank you very much for your time,

melinda
openwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2001, 13:10   #2
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
You can burn anything on a cd. You just gotta find the file.
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2001, 13:16   #3
JackW

Send a message via ICQ to JackW
This answer assumes you're looking to make an AudioCD from the bookmarks in the file - as said above, if all you want to do is backup the bookmarks file itself then you can write it directly to CD as you would with any normal file.

The bookmarks file itself is simply a list of files, similar to a playlist, so you'll need to locate the actual MP3 files before you can convert them to .wav and burn them to CD. You can do this by opening the bookmark file in Notepad or by loading the relevant bookmarks. If you need help on the .mp3 to .wav or .wav to CD parts of this process, use the 'Search the Forums' link. I'm sure there's plenty of information around.

Actually, here's a trick that may be slightly faster, depending on what burning software you're using. If you've got burning software that:
  • Will decode .mp3 files to .wav on the fly and write these to AudioCD
  • Will accept .m3u playlist files of .mp3s as input

then this might help, and I think Nero, for example, does this. I'm not sure, as I haven't actually got a CD-Writer on this machine.

Open the Winamp.bm file in a text editor. It will look something like this:

D:\My Documents\Music\P\Pearl Jam\Vs\Indifference.mp3
Pearl Jam: Vs. - 12. Indifference
D:\My Documents\Music\T\Tool\Lateralus\The Patient.mp3
Tool: Lateralus - 3. The Patient
D:\My Documents\Music\Y\Young, Neil & Crazy Horse\Weld\Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black).mp3
Young, Neil & Crazy Horse: Weld - 1. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black
D:\My Documents\Music\R\R.E.M\Rock In Rio '01\Daysleeper.mp3
R.E.M.: Rock In Rio '01 - 5. Daysleeper

Delete every other line, so that you are just left with the file names:

D:\My Documents\Music\P\Pearl Jam\Vs\Indifference.mp3
D:\My Documents\Music\T\Tool\Lateralus\The Patient.mp3
D:\My Documents\Music\Y\Young, Neil & Crazy Horse\Weld\Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black).mp3
D:\My Documents\Music\R\R.E.M\Rock In Rio '01\Daysleeper.mp3

and save the resulting file with a playlist extension, eg. as 'burning.m3u'. Lo and behold, a normal playlist which can then be opened in your burning software.

I'm not sure why Nullsoft don't just store the bookmarks in a conventional playlist format. All it would need would be the addition of #EXTINF: markers in front of the lines that we've deleted here, and then you would be able to just change the extension and use this file directly.

"What kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper?"
JackW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2001, 13:39   #4
openwonder

thanks for you prompt and thorough reply! i do want to make a cd track from an audio file that i got in temp. wav format from a website. followed your suggestion, opened the .bm in wordpad, and i have tracked the name of the file to:

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OZCLYC2D\daisy[1].wav

i do have nero and use it to burn my audio cd's. i cannot actually find the file though so i am lost at the step where you suggested i save the file with a playlist extension.

do you know if i can do this with a temporary file?

thanks again,

melinda
Old 5th June 2001, 14:28   #5
JackW

If it's just one file, you probably don't need to go through the elaborate process of creating a playlist from the bookmarks, you just need to find the actual .wav file and burn it in the usual way.

Choose Start->Find->Files Or Folders and look for 'daisy*.wav'. If you find the file this way, you can right-click on it, choose 'Copy', and then Paste it into a folder from where it can be more easily accessed.

A bit more waffle in case you're interested:

It looks as if you didn't save the file from the website to your hard disk, but rather opened it directly from the URL. When you open an file from the internet directly like this, Internet Explorer stores a copy of the file locally in the Temporary Internet Files folder (known as the cache), so that if you need to request the file again it can simply load it from disk (which is much faster than retrieving it via HTTP).

The reason you can't find the file directly is that the subfolders of the Temporary Internet Files folder (Content.IE5, and so on) are hidden, and so do not show up in Explorer windows.

One last point - to prevent your disk filling up, this cache is limited in size and so older files are regularly deleted. So if you can't find the file, it may have expired and you may have to download it again from the site in question. This time, you could save it to disk rather than opening it in order to speed the process.

"What kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper?"
Old 5th June 2001, 18:53   #6
openwonder

thank you again JackW for your speedy and helpful response. I just had to take a nap. I did find the actual file using the search method you suggested. when trying to load it into nero i was presented with an "inaccessible .wav file" message.

this is the site i used to make my own hilarious, albeit temporary, wav file:

http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/voices.html

do you think it is possible to make record a file created from their program onto an audio cd?

with patience & gratitude,

melinda
Old 5th June 2001, 19:58   #7
JackW

Quote:
Originally posted by openwonder
thank you again JackW for your speedy and helpful response.
You're welcome! Anyway, if you've found the file, just copy the .wav and paste it onto, say, the desktop. It should then load into Nero without any problems.

I've tested the process as far as I can without a CD-Writer by downloading a file from the website in question, finding it on my computer and moving it to a folder ( moved it into C:\Windows\Temp, not that the exact location makes much difference). It then loads into Sound Recorder and plays just like any wave file, so I should imagine it should burn OK...

Old 5th June 2001, 20:28   #8
openwonder

argh!

theoretically the file shold load into nero, but i am getting an "inaccessible wav file" reponse when i try to place it on the to-be-burned list. perhaps you could refer me to or ask somebody who has a cd-writer and knows the details at that point...?

with patience and gratitude,

melinda

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions