Old 29th November 2002, 18:52   #1
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

Disabling OnBoard Video

How do I disable onboard video? If I connect my geforce2 and try to use it the screen just stays black, I've looked in Bios but there is no option to disable onboard video.
!!itsKENSHIN!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 18:59   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

If theres no option in the bios it will most likely be done with jumpers on the motherboard.

Check your manual, but if you've lost it, look for a jumper named 'vga disable' or 'video disable' or similar.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 19:07   #3
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

i highly doubt that anyone still has an old enough of a board to have jumpers for everything
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 19:09   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I have one...

Pity its not in a complete system.
Old 29th November 2002, 19:14   #5
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

well thats what i ment, in a complete/your primary system

i think i still have 3 of those mobo's
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2002, 00:31   #6
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

My mobo doesn't have any jumpers, and if you think about it, wouldn't disabling it in bios be kind of weird, because you would not be able to see what you were doing after. If I plug monitor cable into geforce2, the screen just stays black.
Old 30th November 2002, 04:57   #7
hestermofet
Major Dude

Surprised you techno gizzards are so stumped over this. If you are using Windows, there is no need to disable your onboard video. Install the video card, start up in safe mode, go into Display Properties, and select video output #2 (ensure drivers are installed properly, and that the GeForce is being recognized correctly-- does it show up in Device Manager?). Restart. You can politely ignore video output #1 (i.e. the onboard card), and things will run fine.

Of course, it would help to know what you mean by "If I connect my geforce2 and try to use it the screen just stays black".

With regards to "and if you think about it, wouldn't disabling it in bios be kind of weird, because you would not be able to see what you were doing after", no, it wouldn't be weird. If you notice, whenever you change (and save) any settings in BIOS, the system reboots. Alterations are not effective immediately.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2002, 06:55   #8
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

That only works if you have 2 monitors connected hester/rm (not sure wtf to call you now )

What motherboard is it?

Is it a pci or agp card?

Does the card actually work, have you tried a different card?

Normally, if its a pci card, just set the primary display to pci in the bios, and uninstall the driver for the onboard (better to disable, but it should work like that if you cant). I think you still need two monitors connected to do that, until the onboard video been disabled.

If its an agp card, since most onboard graphics use the agp bus (whether or not they still provide an agp slot) shouldnt the onboard video automatically be disabled?? Correct me if im wrong here, but isnt it impossible for both the onboard and a card to both use the agp bus?
Old 30th November 2002, 08:57   #9
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
That only works if you have 2 monitors connected hester/rm (not sure wtf to call you now )
Call me Mudd "Hey you!" also works

Back when I had a Compaq, I had an Intel onboard that was pretty much locked in. No jumper settings on the mobo, BIOS that completely locked me out. I got to play around with a PCI graphics card for a month or so. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Setting the correct card in Display Properties does the trick. You don't need a second monitor hooked up.
Old 30th November 2002, 09:00   #10
randman

Quote:
...hester/rm (not sure wtf to call you now )
Call him "the rest of me".
Old 30th November 2002, 09:03   #11
hestermofet
Major Dude

All about me

After all, I am "the most free"
Old 30th November 2002, 09:12   #12
randman

Re: All about me

Quote:
Originally posted by hestermofet
After all, I am "the most free"
Better than "me soft there" I guess.
Old 30th November 2002, 09:23   #13
hestermofet
Major Dude

I'm "a mad erotic Ivan", dontcha know? It would only make sense that I try to make the most out of my sticky bit
Old 30th November 2002, 09:30   #14
randman

Quote:
I'm "a mad erotic Ivan", dontcha know? It would only make sense that I try to make the most out of my sticky bit
Long live Radioactive Man!!! (And his sticky bit).
Old 30th November 2002, 09:35   #15
hestermofet
Major Dude

Yes, it's true, with my mighty sticky bit, I can "fest the more"! Why? Because "I'm into a cadaver".
Old 30th November 2002, 10:30   #16
randman

You win. My anagram generator exploded.
Old 30th November 2002, 11:22   #17
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

But onboard video eats into your RAM. It is better to disable it.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2002, 18:41   #18
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

Um, the geforce 2 is agp, and what I mean was that if I plug the monitor cable into the blue geforce 2 slot instead of the onboard video's blue slot, when I turn on the computer it just stays black, displays nothings. In the display adapters screen it only shows one, my onboard video's.

I am guessing that my mobo is SiS, I have no idea what that is, only reason I have it is because the onboard sound is good, and because my old asus mobo sucked, it was really corrupted somehow, I guess it must have melted somewhere because every file I downloaded off of the internet would be corrupt. When I go into device manager it says SiS in a couple places, so that's why im guessing that that is what my mobo is.
Old 30th November 2002, 23:52   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Looks like you'll need to disable the onboard video (in bios -> integrated peripherals) before the system will recognise the agp card. There might even be a setting to turn on the agp slot in "Advanced Chipset Features". But unless you know your way around the bios, you're pretty much screwed without a mobo manual . . . the manual is the pc equivalent of the bible, hehe.

Are you sure the geforce2 actually works ok? Have you tried it on another system?

bring forth esteem for a forest theme, o hestermofet
im into a cadaver? wtf?
I'm Arin advocate, lol
I dream vacation
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2002, 00:00   #20
smeggle

You should find your on board video in advanced chipset in your bios.anyway it's generally in that folder.
then go to your device manager/hardware/display adaptors?(i think thats it) and un-install the driver.Just disabling the chip is not enough sometimes you need to un-install it's driver as well.found that out a couple of times with other cards.
thats what I would do anyway,

ps it is display Adapters..just checked my system.
Old 1st December 2002, 00:16   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

oh yeah, you can remove the onboard Display Adapter driver in Device Manager first, then disable it in bios on reboot (so windows won't redetect it).
It won't take effect until reboot anyway.

This is all assuming that there's nothing wrong with the gf2 . . . or the agp slot.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2002, 00:39   #22
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
bring forth esteem for a forest theme
I've got "a dirt cove mania"

Quote:
im into a cadaver? wtf?
"I cavort in a dame". A dead one, but a dame nonetheless.

Quote:
I'm Arin advocate, lol

Why advocate a "vain crime toad"?

Quote:
I dream vacation
Is it the kind where you "smother feet"?
Old 1st December 2002, 02:51   #23
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

There is nothing wrong with my geforce2, it worked fine on my other mobo, which didn't. The difference in this mobo besides it working is that the agp slot is quite small, although the friend i got it from has told me that it is agp 4x, it's just that it looks really small.

And no my geforce2 is not detected at all, I looked in my device manager and all that is there is the onboard one.
Old 1st December 2002, 07:35   #24
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by !!itsKENSHIN!!!
The difference in this mobo besides it working is that the agp slot is quite small, although the friend i got it from has told me that it is agp 4x, it's just that it looks really small.
That sounds worrisome. AGP slots are a standard size, whether the bus is 2x, 4x, 8x, or whatever. Are you sure you haven't jammed the card into something other than an AGP slot? Are you sure that the card is AGP to begin with? If I'm not mistaken, a PCI version of the GeForce2 exists.

If Windows isn't recognizing the card, it's obvious why you not getting a signal when hooking up a monitor to the card. Try fix that before worrying about disabling the onboard card.
Old 1st December 2002, 07:55   #25
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

I know for sure that it is agp, and besides, agp slots aren't white, and im sure it is connected, but yeah, the slot is quite small, but it looks like it still fits, The one on my other mobo had this little plastic thing in it that made it look longer, it said something about taking it out with ball point pen if your agp card supports it, maybe it is normal size.

I are need picture
Old 1st December 2002, 07:56   #26
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

Quote:

If Windows isn't recognizing the card, it's obvious why you not getting a signal when hooking up a monitor to the card. Try fix that before worrying about disabling the onboard card.
Well everyone keeps saying that it won't detect my card at all until I disable my onboard video first.

I are need picture
Old 1st December 2002, 08:00   #27
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by !!itsKENSHIN!!!
I know for sure that it is agp, and besides, agp slots aren't white, and im sure it is connected, but yeah, the slot is quite small, but it looks like it still fits, The one on my other mobo had this little plastic thing in it that made it look longer, it said something about taking it out with ball point pen if your agp card supports it, maybe it is normal size.
The one on your other board was an agp pro slot. The one on your current board isnt.

Quote:
Well everyone keeps saying that it won't detect my card at all until I disable my onboard video first.
Does the onboard still work when the card is in?
Old 1st December 2002, 08:46   #28
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

Quote:

Does the onboard still work when the card is in?
My card IS IN, it is not detected at all, and like I have said, most of you guys think that my onboard video being on is what is making my computer not recognize my geforce

I are need picture
Old 1st December 2002, 08:56   #29
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Like i said earlier, unless im mistaken, it would be impossible for the agp bus to be shared (never tried to use onboard and an agp card myself so im not sure), if thats true, it should be automatically disabled when a card is inserted. If not (which it obviously isnt), it would have to be able to be disabled in the bios or via jumpers. They wouldnt have put an agp slot there otherwise.

What model is the motherboard?? It should be printed on it somewhere.

If you've lost the manual, there may be an online version in .pdf format.
Old 1st December 2002, 09:00   #30
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

When I look in device manager it says SiS in a couple places.

I are need picture
Old 1st December 2002, 09:04   #31
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

What model though??

There's probably a hundred SiS boards that have onboard video.

Like i said, it should be printed somewhere on the board itself.
Old 1st December 2002, 17:14   #32
!!itsKENSHIN!!!

I don't even know if SiS is a company, i'm going to look online for a while to see if i can find it.

I are need picture
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions