Old 17th August 2009, 22:50   #1
DakarV

Hello! +Question?

Hello!

This is my first post so first off thanks for all the hard work from people making presets that make Milkdrop the wonderful program that is it. Special thanks to Felxi + Martin your presets are brilliant!

Also thanks to other people involved with Milkdrop and Winamp

Imo the trippiest presets are the Meobius style ones (stuff distorting/circling in both directions round a point in top right hand corner of screen, the more tiled and complex/intricate patterns the better) and the same intricate patterns but stationary (still changing) on part of a large stationary sphere (gently curving 3d surface). Incidentally I’ve seen both these things but not on a visualizer! don't know about you guys. Anyhow if anyone could link me to packs/good examples of these (if my descriptions made any sense) that would be great. (wow I’ve used a lot of brackets in this paragraph, not a general habit of mine).

Anyway my question, I’ve recently downloaded all the presets from Martin's topic (My complete collection) but when i open milkdrop and try to find them pressing L not all of them show up on the list, the one i first noticed was Bridge of khazad dum but actually only about 1/3 of them have shown up 19/54 or something

Now that i check it only finds 511/557 out of the ones that come as standard with the latest version

Anyway I was wondering if this was because winamp knows that my computer can't run them or if there was some other reason.

I'm using a laptop ATI mobility radeon x600 which has served me very well but is a bit old now I guess. If this is the problem could I possibly solve it by updating software on the card?

Thanks for your help, keep up the good work!

Alex
DakarV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 10:36   #2
ORB 13

Hi DakarV welcome to the milkdrop forums.

I checked the specs on your graphics card and it supports up to shader model 2.0. Milkdrop detects the capabilities of your hardware and only displays the presets your hardware is capable of running. Some, but not many milkdrop presets use shader model 3.0 and will not be displayed (hence the presets missing in the list). Unfortunately this a hardware limitation and the only way round this is to get a newer graphics card.
ORB 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:21   #3
DakarV

hey man, cheers for your help

hmm i guess that means a new computer as you can't replace graphics cards on a laptop right?
Oh well i needed one anyway and this will be good motivation

Btw good work on your presets, i especially like kalidescope and liquid fire and nova sunrise is a personal favorite of mine

Do you have a pack or topic or something with your best/current presets or something?
Old 19th August 2009, 08:23   #4
ORB 13

Thanks, man. There is a thread with the name “Some New MD 2 Shader Heavy Presets” that has some of the newer preset packs that I have made. I will probably release a new pack of presets soon.

As for upgrading a laptop graphics card; it is possible but not easy, you have to take the whole laptop apart to put in a new card in. It is also hard to find somewhere that sells laptop graphics cards. If you planning on getting a desktop machine you may want to hold on for a bit since there will be a new crop of DirectX 11 graphics cards that will come out when Windows 7 is released in October, but they will be expensive for a while.
ORB 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 23:26   #5
DakarV

Cheers man, will find them and go through them tomorrow, looking forward to it. Will also bump topic with feedback

As for graphics card it will almost definitely take me that long to getting around to buying a new computer. Still glad you mentioned that, directX 11 looks like its going to be pretty smooth

Isn't windows 7 already out? Microsoft keep bringing them out so quickly i loose track, there was nothing wrong with xp imo which is why i still use it. Vista was crap apparently which explains the next one but what about this new one? Now that i think about it the last one might have been windows 6
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets