Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 1st August 2012, 23:15   #1
David Ross

Installed in Non-Default Location, Does Not Play Streaming Broadcast

Windows XP SP3
Firefox 14.0.1
Winamp 5.6.3 (5.6.3, Build 3235 FINAL_2012_0628_151026)

I installed Winamp in [C:\Winamp]. I could not play a streaming broadcast by selecting a link to the stream's URI on a Web page (e.g., from [http://kuscstream.org/mp3/kusc128.m3u]). Instead, I got an error popup that said:

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS`1\Temp\kusc128-7.m3u could not be opened,
becuase the associated help applicaton does not exist. Change the
association in your preferences.

I also got this error with Winamp 5.6.2. With both versions, however, I was able to copy the URI of the streaming broadcast and paste it into Winamp and play the broadcast that way.

I uninstalled Winamp and re-installed it in [C:\Program Files\Winamp]. Then it worked okay.

Either fix the installation to work with Firefox from any directory where Winamp is installed, or else remove the installation option to indicate where to install it (thereby forcing the installation to be in [C:\Program Files\Winamp]. I much prefer the former alternative because I try to reserve [C:\Program Files] for Microsoft applications.
David Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:14   #2
DrO

it should work when installed into a different location and from what you've detailed, it seems like something is messed up with the file association options or something external is not honouring what has actually been specified (i run Winamp installs in different locations without issues). other than re-running the Winamp installer and possibly going to preferences -> file types and holding ctrl down when leaving the page (will force Winamp to re-save the settings from that instance).

otherwise you can use the add url option to just add the stream to the main playlist editor.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:40   #3
David Ross

Given that (1) Winamp installed in the default [C:\Program Files\Winamp] location is launched and plays a streaming broadcast from a Web link without any problem and (2) Winamp installed in a non-default location can accept a URI and play a streaming broadcast (but not from a Web link), it seems that file associations are all okay.

Try removing Winamp (installed in the default location) entirely. Then install it elsewhere. Go to the bottom of my [http://www.rossde.com/music.html] and select one of the speaker icons that have a Winamp icon. Does this work?
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:15   #4
DrO

it does work for me.

-daz
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:58   #5
ujay
Forum King

Hi David,

The links you are giving have a square bracket (]) on the end ???
Is this why you are having problems. Winamp has no idea what to do with a .m3u] file.

The correct address for the playlist file is http://kuscstream.org/mp3/kusc128.m3u and this plays fine.
The actual stream address is http://915.kuscstream.org:8000/kuscaudio128 which is an extensionless file. Winamp will default this to .mp3 in the absence of any other info.

Strictly speaking you should add a hint to the URL :

http://915.kuscstream.org:8000/kuscaudio128?=.mp3

You can bypass file associations by using drag and drop straight onto Winamp's main window.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:02   #6
David Ross

In accord with Appendix C of RFC 3986, I bracket URIs but ONLY IN TEXT. I do NOT bracket URIs when actually trying to reach the indicated resource.

I normally use < and >, but I use [ and ] in Web forums because many Web applications for input reserve the former for HTML markup.
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:56   #7
DrO

i must be missing something, as other than removing the end bracket from the link posted 4 replies up, all of the links on the page it provides worked fine from what i tried (ended with m3u or pls though i did see some ram ones but that's not a natively supported format by Winamp).

either way, i'm not able to get the stream links which are provided in a valid format that Winamp can handle to not fail to play irrespective of the Winamp install being used.

-daz
Old 4th August 2012, 19:53   #8
David Ross

I suspect that uninstalling Winamp from [C:\Program Files\Winamp] failed to remove file associations. Then, when I installed Winamp in [C:\Winamp], the file associations were pointing to the wrong location.

If this conjecture is true, it might also mean other Windows registry entries for Winamp are not removed when Winamp is uninstalled. Any of this would indeed be a bug in Winamp's uninstaller. Such a bug would not be apparent unless the user attempts to move Winamp from one location to another by uninstalling from the old location and then installing in the new location.

It will be several days before I can test this conjecture.
Old 6th August 2012, 16:47   #9
David Ross

I uninstalled Winamp from [C:\Program Files\Winamp]. There remained over 600 registry key values containing data with the now obsolete path to winamp.exe. Of nine Windows file associations I checked, the file extension.apl was no longer associated with any application. The file extension .m2z no longer appeared at all. File extensions .amf, .far, .m3u, .mat, .rf64, .stm, and .xi continued to be associated with Winamp at its obsolete path.

I then installed Winamp in [C:\Winamp]. Many registry key values still contained data with the now obsolete path to winamp.exe. File extensions .amf, .far, .m3u, .mat, .rf64, .stm, and .xi still continued to be associated with Winamp at its obsolete path.

After manually updating my Windows registry, changing the path to Winamp from [C:\Program Files\Winamp] to [C:\Winamp], I still had the originally-reported problem. I resolved that problem (per the suggestion of someone in the mozilla.support.seamonkey newsgroup, not here). As noted in my original message here, the problem was with the URI [http://kuscstream.org/mp3/kusc128.m3u]. I captured the incoming header when selecting a link to that URI and noted the MIME type was audio/x-mpegurl. In the SeaMonkey preferences, I marked the handling of that MIME type as "Ask Me"; it had been Winamp. I then marked the handling of that same MIME type as "Winamp", which resolved the problem.

NOTE WELL: The handling of MIME types is inherent in Mozilla's Gecko core, which is common to all Mozilla-based browsers, including Firefox and SeaMonkey. The fact that I use SeaMonkey thus does not remove this problem from afflicting Firefox.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:01   #10
DrO

the uninstaller removes the file associations which are showing as being associated with Winamp install at the time of uninstall. if files have been unassociated or manually edited or other installs have trashed things, then yes there is a good chance you would be seeing what you are with the remaining registry entries (which if they are all Winamp.File.XXX style then that would point at something having gone wrong with the install or a mis-match in the multiple installs conflicting with each other.

i had said in my earlier reply to use the Ctrl key option when leaving the File Types preference page which forces Winamp to re-write the file association entries (based on what is selected in the file types list on that page). though if you're seeing differences in associations from one to the other then that won't catch anything which is not known to be associated with that Winamp install.

so probably manually editing things was the best option anyway as it seems like none of your Winamp installs were doing as they are meant to be setup to be like (which makes me wonder what was selected during install or if something external was messing with the associations), though that probably isn't something that can be easier sorted out now especially if you've manually fixed things now anyway.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports