Idea: Merge the "Jump to File" and "Playlist" windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djnforce9
    • Feb 2014

Idea: Merge the "Jump to File" and "Playlist" windows.

Something just dawned on me. Why couldn't the "jump to file" dialog and "Winamp Playlist" section be merged together? That way I can simply key in a song I am looking for without having to open a separate dialog every time. I see that there is plenty of space in the current Playlist window for the "Queue File", "move after", etc buttons.

Very often I don't like to scroll through my playlist because it's large and would rather just type the song I want. I know Winamp is not being developed in its current form but maybe for the non-AOL release coming in the next year?

Just an idea.
  • Victhor
    Late skinner & Moderator
    • May 2003

I'm not entirely sure of what you mean, but could be something like the cPro implementation? (A search bar on the top of the playlist that actually uses some "Jump to file" functions like you can see on the attached pic.)
    Attached Files
    · · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• DrO
      • Sep 2003

i assume what's wanted is in-place search results (which i think we covered in another thread in the last few months). though if there was any native implementation, i doubt i'd implement things like the JTFE buttons into it (would look messy imho) and it'd just be a search filter so it mirrors the 'classic' JTF behaviour - a bit like the screenshot above but it'd just hide items that don't match instead of being done as a drop down (which would be a far nicer experience and work irrespective of the skin type used).
      WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• Aminifu
        Forum King
        • Aug 2011

@DrO, Your idea for an in-place search sounds like the way to go. If you implement it, I assume the JTF external search window would also remain, it's button functions are very useful.
        Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
        Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• DrO
          • Sep 2003

if i implemented it, i wouldn't kill off the JTF window as yes there'd be a bit bit of an overlap in the core usage but there's still a usefulness to have the existing separate version.

Comment

• djnforce9
            • Feb 2014

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
            I assume what's wanted is in-place search results (which i think we covered in another thread in the last few months).
            Ah so someone did bring this up before. I am glad that I am not the only one who would like this feature.

...though if there was any native implementation, i doubt i'd implement things like the JTFE buttons into it (would look messy imho)
            I don't think those buttons would even be needed anyway since you are now working within the actual playlist window rather than separate dialog (meaning all the applicable functionality will work).

and it'd just be a search filter so it mirrors the 'classic' JTF behaviour - a bit like the screenshot above but it'd just hide items that don't match instead of being done as a drop down (which would be a far nicer experience and work irrespective of the skin type used).
            That's PRECISELY what I had in mind. Winamp does have quite a few hotkeys so perhaps to avoid conflicts there could be a hotkey that you press that auto-focuses on the search box where you can then type what you want to filter.

if i implemented it, i wouldn't kill off the JTF window as yes there'd be a bit bit of an overlap in the core usage but there's still a usefulness to have the existing separate version.
            Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you'd even need the separate window. As I explained above, you'd have the search and full access to all playlist functions such as queuing. As an experiment, I hid the playlist window and replaced its position with the "Jump to File" dialog and I had no trouble picking and choosing songs. Only functions such as the shortcut key for "Find File on Disk" did not work there but if they were merged, you'd get the best of both worlds.

Comment

• DrO
              • Sep 2003

yes there's some overlap in functionality, but it still provides a way to fine-tune the alternate playback queue it provides which would not be viable to do in the playlist as part of the native feature. also some people might like having it a separate window. if it is implemented then there's no need for you to use it so it won't really matter if it's still there for others or not

Comment

Working...
              X