Old 15th June 2005, 08:13   #1
Volker Jung

Question Using standard skin elsewhere in open source projects???

Hello WinAMP community,

I think of using WinAMP´s Standard skin by Metrix inside one or more open source projects.

Metrix doesn´t have any objections against this... I already asked them for permission.

How about WinAMP?

Please don´t just post here - please reply also directly to my mail adress, for archieving purposes...

Best regards
Volker Jung
Volker Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 11:29   #2
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Winamp is NOT an open source project. It is ILLIGAL to use the skin in other projects.

And no, no email will be provided, this is an open forum.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 11:56   #3
Volker Jung

Very helpful and so polite...

Hello, wildrose-wally,

please excuse that I suppose the REAL copyright of that skin lies at Sven Kistner of Metrix. It is interesting that he isn´t against this...

By the way: There are a few projects around that use WinAMP-skins and nobody seems to be concerned - I just wanted to be sure, what the staff of WinAMP thinks about this...

You could say, who you are. Are you a staff member?

A few more words to a person that asks for permission and doesn´t just break your possibly existing rights would be nice...

I know that WinAMP isn´t open source - I´m no idiot. But this could mean only "closed source". It doesn´t necessaryly mean that skins are under protection...

It just was a question... No reason to get that excited...

*shaking the head*

Regards
Volker Jung
Old 15th June 2005, 13:36   #4
matt_69
Sunshine
(Major Dude)

im no official, im not probly the best person to b commenting on this, but IMHO i have to agree with you that the skin is not the fully pledged property of winamp/aol and that some rights should still come from sven and metrix.

my knownledge on this subject is not all that great, so i wouldn't count on me too much.

matt_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 14:25   #5
Volker Jung

What about...

...the "Nullsoft Media Player 10" skin???

Is there a permission of Microsoft existing? I can´t really imagine...

Sitting inside the glass house...

At matt_69: Thanks for your support!

Best regards
Volker Jung
Old 15th June 2005, 15:54   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

As far as I know, sven and metrix were more than likely paid a good lump of cash to create that skin for Nullsoft/Winamp, so I would therefore assume that the property rights remain with the person who bought it, in this case AOL/Nullsoft/Winamp.

Standard practice for a commision of that kind, company pays you money to create something for them, once you've been paid it belongs to whoever paid for it to do as they please with.

Regarding your comment about the nullsoft media player 10 skin, I'm sure MS would enforce their copyright if they knew about it, if they did it'd have to be removed from the site, fairly simple really.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 16:11   #7
Volker Jung

It´s getting more clearly...

Hello, Mr Jones,

maybe Sven has got plenty of money for it. I can´t know this. But Sven also created one or two skins that were not created as remittance work, didn´t he?

What about those skins? It´s copyright should clearly lie at Sven, shouldn´t it? Do you know those skins?

Providing copied skins and enforcing copyrights is - by the way - a nice practice...

Thanks for your informations up til now!
Volker Jung
Old 15th June 2005, 16:31   #8
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yes, sven made several skins that are available from here, MMD3 and Metrix metal design classics springs to mind, those are still his, he made them, he published them, he can do what he likes with them.

The modern skin however was made by him for Nullsoft, so it's technically theirs to do with as they want, Nullsoft/Winamp have in the past actively pursued people who have used elements of theirs in other procucts, a media player that used the default classic skin and a email program that used the lightning bolt as it's logo spring to mind, both were forced to stop using those elements.

I had a similar situation a year or so back when I wanted to update some of the original Winamp3 skins that were made by Morgan Thomas, I had to seek permission from Nullsoft and not him as the skins were bought and paid for by Nullsoft for promoting the original WA3 release.
Old 15th June 2005, 18:18   #9
Volker Jung

Okay - Nullsoft may keep it...

Hello, Mr Jones,

thanks for your reply. If WinAMP thinks so...

Actually one should report "media player xx" skins as rips - same rights for all...

Nice politics
Regards
Volker Jung
Old 15th June 2005, 19:02   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

The real question here is, 'why on earth would you want to use it in the first place?'

If you are working on these projects you surely have a modicum of creative talent, why not create your own gui for it instead of wrapping it in someone elses work?

Or, get someone artistic to create a gui for you.

Or check out some of the gui sites out there, there are hundreds upon hundreds of free to use gui's out there.

Why else would you want to use Winamps other than to ride on the coat tails of the winamp name?

Be original, your downloading public will love you for it.
Old 15th June 2005, 19:58   #11
Michgelsen
Major Dude

But what about wasabi player, that's an open source product. Isn't the default skin of the wasabi player open source too then?
Michgelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 21:25   #12
Volker Jung

Maybe...

...you are right, Mr Jones!

I just wanted a simple, fast and professional solution and thought of the WinAMP skin as a good idea.

Now I´m more clever.

Enjoy WinAMP!

Best regards
Volker

P.S.: Wasabi is gone to hell - I guess I know why...
Old 16th June 2005, 00:03   #13
matt_69
Sunshine
(Major Dude)

but doesn't winamp5 run off wasabi still?

volker - if your looking for a designer, pm me.

matt_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins