Old 25th April 2007, 02:44   #1
Normen1

Vista - Winamp has stopped working

Microsoft Windows Vista message
A Problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
this error message pops up almost after every 2 or 3 song. Anybody got an idea what to do about it? I am looking for a available solution.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:12   #2
siebe83
Forum King

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

Any error details?

Make sure you installed Winamp with 'Separate settings for each user' in the installer options.

Also please confirm you're using the most recent Winamp version (5.34).

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 15:42   #3
mervyboy

Im having the same problem.
Installed the latest version (5.34) With no improvement

Does anyone know what causes this error.
mervyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 16:31   #4
siebe83
Forum King

What error?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

Old 28th April 2007, 17:42   #5
Normen1

I did upload the new version of Winamp, and it seems to solve the problem!
In regards to "error details"? this is the message that pops up:

Microsoft Windows Vista message
A Problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
It does not say error message, its just a window that shows up , and the only option you have is to click OK, and the window closes and so does Winamp.

So, thanks to Siebe83 for the link and update solution.
Old 10th May 2007, 14:58   #6
hostman

I just paid for Winamp Pro and downloaded 5.34 all seemed ok on the install but when I click to open winamp it stalls for a few seconds opens up and then I immediately get the Winamp has stopped working message?

I haven't been able to use it at all so far and am a bit dissapointed to say the least.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, I have been searching and reading through this forum for the last couple of hours and whilst this seems the right thread there doesn't seem to be a fix?
hostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 15:59   #7
Normen1

Hostman, as i wrote, since i installed the new version, I have had no problem running Winamp. It has been steady as usual.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:53   #8
pc_guru_86

Send a message via AIM to pc_guru_86 Send a message via Yahoo to pc_guru_86
Same here, been running Winamp (5.24) on Vista Ultimate 64 with NO problems at all. You should post your systems specs, Hijackthis log, and, if possible, a list of plugins. It's possible that it's an incompatible third-party plugin causing the problem.
pc_guru_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 16:59   #9
shawn3857

i am getting the same message,i can play mp3's using winamp and it will schedule to burn them,but that message pops up right when the burn should start.anyone who can help i would really appreciate it. this is driving me crazy.
shawn3857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 18:34   #10
hostman

Logs attached

I am still totally unable to open winamp so have attached the system information
Hijackthis log
Plug in list

I only hope someone can tell me what to do to sort it out and get winamp working as at the momement I have just wasted my money!
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp.zip (5.4 KB, 707 views)
Old 10th May 2007, 21:35   #11
siebe83
Forum King

And you don't get any specific error either?
i.e. there's no way to retrieve error details when you get the message that Winamp stopped working?

If not, then you could try disabling various Winamp components to try and narrow down the cause.

e.g. to disable the Sonic engine (Ripping/Burning support, known to sometimes conflict with certain hardware/software), move primosdk.DLL out of this folder:
C:\Program Files\Winamp

Plugins that you could try disabling are ml_pmp.dll (Portable Media Player support), gen_ff.dll (Modern Skin support) and in_wm.dll (WMA/WMV support), all of which are stored in C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins.
To disable, move the .dll file out of the plugins folder.

Let us know how it goes

Old 10th May 2007, 22:05   #12
pc_guru_86

Send a message via AIM to pc_guru_86 Send a message via Yahoo to pc_guru_86
I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me from the files you uploaded. I would agree with seibe83 that you should start disabling the various plugins and see what happens.

Off the top of my head I can't remember how the Vista errors work but I'm pretty sure that there is a way to get additional information when the error message appearers. See if there is any way to get the actual error that is being thrown.

EDIT:
I found what I was looking for. On the error box, there should be a "View Problem Details" button with a little arrow in the bottom left corner of the error message. That should reveal some details of the problem.
pc_guru_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 23:09   #13
hostman

On this occasion there is no error box so you can't look to see what the problem is.

However thanks to the reply from siebe83 I tried removing various things and putting them back as suggested without much happening, until I removed ml_pmp.dll and then voila all was as it should be everything worked just as it should. So for me the problem is fixed, I suggest anyone having the same problem tries removing ml_pmp.dll

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Old 18th June 2007, 23:45   #14
Normen1

Now, i downloaded the new version 5.35 and Winamp starts to stop playing again. I should have stayed with 5.34
What to do now??? Vista and Winamp, what a battle
Please help!! thanks
Old 21st June 2007, 14:06   #15
sairjohn

I had the same problem, but I have found a solution.

This week I installed the newest version of Winamp on my Toshiba Satellite A135 running Windows Vista Home Premium. The program initially worked fine, but yesterday, suddenly it began to crash every time I tried to run it.

To make a long history short, the problem can be fixed by right-clicking the icon of the program, then clicking in Properties, and then in the Compatibility tab; then, in "Compatibility mode" section, checking the box labled "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and choosing "Windos XP (Service Pack 2)" in the dropdown list; and finally, clicking OK.

Theoretically, this works not only for Winamp, but for every program that works fine in XP and poorly in Vista. To know more about compatibility issues, search for "program compatibility" in the "Help and Support" of Windows Vista.
sairjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 17:52   #16
Nameless01

Possible Solution

I have the same problem of winamp having to close as soon as it starts, but I did find a solution (although I don't like it)

The media library was the problem for me, so moving the gen_ff.dll file from the plugins folder did the trick; that and making sure that you don't open the media library
Nameless01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 18:16   #17
siebe83
Forum King

Just for reference, gen_ff.dll is Modern Skin support. I guess you meant gen_ml.dll

The Media Library consists of several components. If removing gen_ml.dll 'solves' the issue, that probably means that it is one of the ml_*.dll subplugins that is causing the issue.
If you want, you can move all ml_*.dll files out of the plugins folder, and then move them back in one by one to see which one is responsible for the problem.

Old 24th June 2007, 00:50   #18
shuggyotis

5.35 only crashes for me when i had leo lyrics installed. to remedy, i deleted the contents of program files/winamp and reinstalled, no probs since, touch wood. vista ultimate
shuggyotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 00:51   #19
shuggyotis

without leo lyrics, i might add, shame cos i LOVE leos lyrics
Old 24th June 2007, 01:06   #20
shuggyotis

just found this on leo's site, works for me. )

If you want it to work on vista just rename the file called "Gen_LeosLyrics.dll" in your winamp\plugins folder to "Gen_LeosLyrics1.dll" or somtehing.

Dunno why it works, but I had the same problem as you guys before I did that =) cheers

http://www.leoslyrics.com/posts/list/15/16693.page
Old 7th August 2007, 21:40   #21
k.kong

since recently i have the same problem using winamp (with vista). winamp stops at the end of every few songs. i have reinstalled the latest version using only standard plugins. i have tried switching the compatibility mode as suggested previously in this thread. still no cure. windows media player works - but i don't want to use 'it'
this is what i get:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winamp.exe
Application Version: 5.3.5.1305
Application Timestamp: 4648e17d
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00062086
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5e36
Additional Information 2: ccb0a1fc600edca63636c044881ff1bf
Additional Information 3: 47a7
Additional Information 4: 1d5e606921a7c2c8a1f46b18db4fc85c

... any ideas?

thanks, kaykay
k.kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 07:00   #22
rp71284

My Winamp just started crashing itself. It's random when playing songs. I've been using Winamp for months and this just started happening.

Application Version: 5.3.5.1305
Application Timestamp: 4648e17d
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Additional Information 1: 93e7
Additional Information 2: e5c5848a537e479b49aeb06539ab262d
Additional Information 3: 51cf
Additional Information 4: 0d448cf76cde3f622886745af1d32ecf
rp71284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 18:37   #23
andyboyjlm

Hi,

I've been having the same problem with the APPCRASH thingi.

Anyway, finally, the only way I could stop it was to delete the files from cue player which I installed. i.e. in_cue.dll and gen_cue.dll. After I deleted them from Winamp/Plugins folder the problem was solved.

Maybe it's something to do with cue player not being compatible with the latest Winamp?

I'm using winamp 5.5 and I had tried every possible solution to this, but as I said the only way I could fix it was by deleting the cue files (Which I never got to work anyway, and it was the latest version of cue player).

andyboyjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 15:03   #24
JHinAZ

This started happening to me after I upgraded to 5.3x. After a few tries and "winamp stopped working" messages, WinAmp would finally start working (I have a Dell laptop with Vista Ultimate). It was a nuisance but not enough to make me troubleshoot it. I upgraded to 5.5 today and Winamp wouldn't start at all. I uninstalled it and, when prompted to remove plugins "by yourself", I did. There was only one in the folder: gen_zxGDControl. I took it out, reinstalled 5.5, and it works perfectly. I don't have AIM at all, btw.

FYI.
JHinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 23:30   #25
Notory

One More Possible Solution

I also had the same problem. Every time a song switched or began to play, Winamp would crash. I would receive these details for the problem signature:

Application Version: 5.5.1.1763
Application Timestamp: 476a877d
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Additional Information 1: e135
Additional Information 2: 68c9ec0115ff1f6ac2ef1da56af3dad1
Additional Information 3: 8b40
Additional Information 4: bfb55863401e64e35539652ccf38b746

I tried all of the solutions that worked for other people. Switching to Compatibility mode had no effect and individually removing plugins did not work. Thankfully, I have found that upon the removal of both the plugins ml_history.dll and ml_local.dll, Winamp works. However, this may prove to be only a temporary solution.
Notory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 23:38   #26
Notory

Temporary solution indeed. After a little bit of exploring in the Media Library, Winamp crashed again. But at least if I don't tool around I can still listen to my songs on random play. Although I can't choose in which order
Notory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 23:34   #27
bartgot

I got the message: Winamp has stopped working
Error details:
Application Version: 5.5.2.1800
Application Timestamp: 478d39f3
Fault Module Name: ml_dash.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 478d379e
Exception Offset: 000021fc
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1045
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
bartgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 12:23   #28
WcStein

I had the same probleme and tried one of the upper solutions and it worked fine for me.

First I recognized the issue of "winamp stopped working" while beeing in the Media Library so i deleted the gen_ml.dll and by now it worked just great. But it was not satisfying to have Winamp without the library. So I deleted all sub *.dll s belonging to the ML... so all ml_*.dll went into trash bin and I started to restore them one by one and tried Winamp. I so figured out that ml_local.dll killed my Library and crashed Winammp. Restored then all other Sub-Plugins and now all works fine, but the ml_local.dll Library Plug-In was the prob...I suggest you to try out deleting this and look if it helps you,too.
WcStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 14:27   #29
carlogio

I had this EXACT problem with Vista 32Bit. Kept crashing at the end of one song or straight away. VERY annoying.

Along the lines of WCStein, I found a SOLUTION at last.

I deleted the following plugins from program directory:

ml_history.dll
ml_autotag.dll
ml_online.dll

Not positive what they all do, but this fixed the problem for me. Now it's perfect.
carlogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 21:39   #30
wencel

Send a message via ICQ to wencel
hi,

unfortunately deleting these files didn't help, i still got the error message in Windows Vista Ultimate that Winamp has stoped working .

And since I got the error for every second music file or playlist I want to play am already searching in the internet for some alternative audio player... does maybe somebody has some experience with other programs that tan create playlist (expecialy Unicode playlists? 'cause I got a huge archive of russian music incl. cyrilics in the filename)
wencel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:36   #31
konjge

if you are using a program called minilyrics. you need to remove it on you computer. it worked for me
konjge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 15:58   #32
Entegy

Topic creator, I had the exact same problem as you after upgrading to Pro on Vista Ultimate. I had to delete my Winamp folder in "%AppData%" folder, which deletes all your settings/library/history but I had backed up my play counts and playlists to my iPod and could restore them from my iPod using ml_ipod.

In short, a clean install will likely fix this if it hasn't been suggested already (didn't read the topic)
Entegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 00:16   #33
brody456

its easer than all this stuff all you have to do is reset the compatibility setting to run as xp sp 2 to fix all crashing problems
brody456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 02:38   #34
stopasking
Banned

Hi guys,

I've had the same problem and been up all morning trying to fix it. I tried every single thing on this page and was about to format just to get it working.

I even downloaded iTunes but just couldn't stand it and wanted Winamp back.

Anyway I found a solution that worked for me.

I downloaded old version, first version 2.91 that worked.
Went up to 3 that worked too.
Now I'm on 5.21 and it's working fine, no errors.
So not sure if you can just go straight to replacing Winamp with 5.21 or whether actually installing the old versions first and updating did something.

Here's the old versions for anyone who wants to give it a try:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 14:52   #35
FrostDMC

Every time I even start a song, it immediately shows the usual "Winamp has stopped working message".

Before I updated it told me I should try to update, but now, after updating there is no window popping up at all, so the program simply stops. Damn this is annoying.

Sometimes it can play a song or two but no more than that.
FrostDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 16:33   #36
phalancs

@brody:

No this does not work thoroughly!

For me it helped renaming the
gen_leoslyrics.dll
to
gen_leoslyrics1.dll

Strange? Ya! And I love the lyrics stuff!

In the meantime i tried to use mediaplayer or mediamokey but could not get used to them somehow. I hope winamp stopps crying now!
phalancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:39   #37
BAnslow

Is there any permanent solution to this problem yet?

I just installed WinAmp 5.55 and the problem is still there. For me it happens every time as soon as I click the Burn button to burn songs onto a blank CD.

Thanks,

Bryan.
BAnslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 00:56   #38
DiabeticComa

The problem is still there, I just bought Winamp Pro (5.552)
and I get the exact same message, 'Winamp has stopped working' after I click the Burn button in the Burn window. Please any solutions? I kinda went Pro just because of easier burning but yeah...letdown

Edit
Hehe sorry, I tried to restart after installing and it worked. So problem solved, at least mine, good luck guys.
DiabeticComa is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support