Old 12th December 2012, 10:08   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

TRK*.TMP Files?

I've noticed that 1 or 2 zero length trk*.tmp files get left behind every time Winamp is shutdown.

They seem to be related to skins, but I suppose they could be due to a 3rd party plug-in (I use a few). Has anyone else noticed them?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 15:39   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Now you mention it... I have some in my %TEMP% folder too. And I don't use many plugins apart from Essentials Pack.

All the TMP files are zero length. So something creates them and forgets to clean up.

I don't have many. 14 files between 17/11/12 and 14/12/12

I wonder if they are podcast related? Maybe the datestamps would give a clue.

Just nuked my %TEMP% folder and will see when they reappear.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 15:48   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

A new trk????.tmp file appears every time Winamp is started. Simple as that. Date stamp co-ordinates with the start of Winamp.

I have queued podcasts to be download, and the Essentials pack. Other than that it is a fairly vanilla install.

AhHA!!! In my case I also get a folder called WAS1B9D.tmp (same date stamp) which is the unpacked parts of the Nucleo_NLog_v102 skin I am using. (A classic skin) This folder is removed correctly once Winamp has been closed.

So what skin are you running? And could it be skin related?
Old 15th December 2012, 16:00   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i have a very vanilla winamp, bento, no podcasts.

i have about 8 of these files, and all from the last week or so. but for totally unrelated reasons, i had nuked my temp folder around that time.

whats the concern tho?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 16:28   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

No real "concern" as such, more a little note to a dev to clean up their temp files I think.

It is good practice for applications that create temp files to then clean up after they have finished. I am guessing there is something in Winamp that has "forgotten" to clean up.

It is also an interesting one to spot. You know what it is like preferring to have a nice clean PC.

And yes, it can get a pain. I have seen some client PCs with tens of thousands of files in the temp folders. This does then lead to slow downs of the PC as a whole.

The average user has no idea they have a %TEMP% folder and does not clean it out. Some programs are awful for spitting crud into this folder (example - anyone who owns an HP Printer and installs the tatt that comes with that ends up with thousands of junk files left by the tracking, ink checking and so forth)

Mr Sinatra - as a little handy check, can you close Winamp, nuke your %TEMP%, and then start Winamp. Does the Bento skin also create a temp folder like the Classic skins do? I guess so as this will be Winamp unpacking the zip file that is the skin.
Old 15th December 2012, 16:47   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

i did NOT see winamp create a FOLDER when starting.

it does however create a TRK temp file with every start.

--
Old 15th December 2012, 19:31   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, I'm also seeing a heap of 0-byte trk****.tmp files in the %temp% folder.
Not sure where they're coming from, but I'll see if I can find out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Mr Sinatra - as a little handy check, can you close Winamp, nuke your %TEMP%, and then start Winamp. Does the Bento skin also create a temp folder like the Classic skins do? I guess so as this will be Winamp unpacking the zip file that is the skin.
Bento & Modern skins are already unpacked in the Winamp\Skins dir, so no %temp% folders\files need to be created for them.
The Classic base skin is built-in, so also doesn't need unpacking.
It's just .wlz & .wsz zipped skins which need unpacking.
You can use 7-Zip to manually unzip 3rd-party wlz/wsz skins to Winamp\Skins\%SkinName%\* if you wish, then no temp files will be created.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 20:27   #8
ryerman
Major Dude

fyi
As well as the trk****.tmp file, I see a 0 byte wdl****.tmp file created every time Winamp is started. It is also not deleted when Winamp quits.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 21:48   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

ok, this is getting interesting...

i just checked more carefully this time, and on opening winamp, with bento skin and the newest SC dsp, and one for nunz as my only plugins, i get:

trk*
wdl*

both 0 bytes, AND...

WT482.tmp 761KB
WT510.tmp 684KB

...when i close winamp, those last two get deleted. (WT*.tmp)

--
Old 16th December 2012, 11:46   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I don't get any wdl*.tmp files. Just the trk*.tmp

The appearing and disappearing WT*.tmp files Mr Sinatra is observing is exactly what should be happening. Files being cleaned up after use.
Old 16th December 2012, 12:05   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi All,

I also don't see any wdl*.tmp files. Maybe they are associated with a 3rd party plug-in or the Winamp video or PMP plug-ins (except for the generic usb_pmp, I don't install those).

Anyway, it's like Batter Pudding says, the left behind files are normally not a big deal. Its just that well behaved apps clean up after themselves.

I've been noticing these trk*.tmp files during my bi-weekly preventive maintenance check-ups and virus/malware scans and decided to try to track down where they were coming from.

Once I saw they were created by Winamp (or a Winamp plug-in?), I thought about the weird behavior some users are reporting and decided to post the question. They are probably harmless, but one never knows.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 16th December 2012, 12:16   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Yeah, I'm also seeing a heap of 0-byte trk****.tmp files in the %temp% folder.
Not sure where they're coming from, but I'll see if I can find out....

Bento & Modern skins are already unpacked in the Winamp\Skins dir, so no %temp% folders\files need to be created for them.
The Classic base skin is built-in, so also doesn't need unpacking.
It's just .wlz & .wsz zipped skins which need unpacking.
You can use 7-Zip to manually unzip 3rd-party wlz/wsz skins to Winamp\Skins\%SkinName%\* if you wish, then no temp files will be created.
Thanx for looking into this.

As for the skins temp folder and files, they are not a problem since they are deleted during Winamp shutdown. But, thanx for the tip. I first thought the skins manager plug-in was creating them, then I saw (as you say) they are created for all unpacked skins.

Old 8th February 2013, 06:26   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DJ Egg,

Have you had any luck tracking down what is causing Winamp to leave behind 0-byte temp files when it is shutdown?

Old 10th March 2013, 10:37   #14
DrO

the wdl*.tmp issue is fixed for next beta build.

the trk*.tmp issue is due to the OS from what i can tell when ml_disc.dll is calling IDiscMaster::Open(..) to check the drive statuses. alas little to do about it from what i can see.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 10:50   #15
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Nice... thanks.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:56   #16
DrO

also fixed html playlist generation to not leave the wht*.tmp files as well (that looks like it goes back to when the feature was added).
Old 10th March 2013, 13:07   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the trk*.tmp issue is due to the OS from what i can tell when ml_disc.dll is calling IDiscMaster::Open(..) to check the drive statuses. alas little to do about it from what i can see.
I almost never use Winamp to rip & burn, so the solution for me is to not install the ml_disc.dll file. Hopefully that file is not needed to help support other Winamp features.

I appreciate you looking into reasons for these abandoned temp files. Thank you.

Old 10th March 2013, 17:52   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

thats a good idea. i think i will install it, but rename the ext after install. it would be cool to have an "on/off" panel in prefs that allowed the user to on/off these plugins so they could be installed and ready for use, but not actually loaded ever unless turned on.

--
Old 10th March 2013, 18:09   #19
DrO

and if that could be done simply then it would have been. it took a lot more effort to get the safe mode in, doing selective toggling causes more work and there are more pressing things to work on. though it's tempting to give up seeing the gf as it'd ensure gen_nunzio wouldn't work in any capacity.
Old 10th March 2013, 18:29   #20
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

IMHO - there can be no simpler "on/off" than renaming a dll. For the very few of us who want to toggle things, we can find the dlls. (Not that I've ever needed to)

And this certainly does not require any time wasted on it. Just to kill off some temp files when a CD is ripped. Ever look at the mess that an HP Printer leaves on a PC in the temp folder?

Damn fine work done on killing the killable tmp files. Go see the gf - stuff working on a Sunday.
Old 10th March 2013, 19:12   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
and if that could be done simply then it would have been. it took a lot more effort to get the safe mode in, doing selective toggling causes more work and there are more pressing things to work on. though it's tempting to give up seeing the gf as it'd ensure gen_nunzio wouldn't work in any capacity.
big fan of safe mode as you know, and i just said it would be cool, not pressing. just something to keep in mind, as i do think it would be useful. i was thinking checkboxes that could replace "start" and "stop" buttons altho i realize those are only on the vis stuff. i don't know how much is involved obviously to extend that to the others.

i am missing the joke, b/c i thought nunzio was someone else?

Quote:
IMHO - there can be no simpler "on/off" than renaming a dll. For the very few of us who want to toggle things, we can find the dlls. (Not that I've ever needed to)
i've needed to, quite frequently. whether it be SC, orgler, or now the cloud, toggling and selective startup would be nice additions to the new safe mode, HOWEVER i certainly don't think DrO should sacrifice gf time or a Sunday on it. big props to the devs for all the work done on 5.7b

EDIT:

does crap cleaner get rid of all temp files including the *.trk ones just by virtue of them being in the temp folder? b/c if so, you could just run ccleaner once a month or so, and deal with it that way, yes?

--
Old 10th March 2013, 19:24   #22
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i've needed to, quite frequently. whether it be SC, orgler, or now the cloud, toggling and selective startup would be nice additions to the new safe mode,
You would be surprised at the time it takes to do even a small change to programs like this. Especially the testing!! Far quicker to just set yourself up a shortcut to your plugins folder. Or the trick I'd use is to Right Click the Winamp shortcut and use the "open file location" button. (If XP, then you need to look at the properties of the shortcut itself)

It is so rare something like this is gonna get used it makes more sense this is a user based solution instead of default in the program.

If you need this a lot you could even rig up some batch files. Would not take you much effort to make custom links to Winamp which passed through various different batch files which renamed the plugins you don't need before starting Winamp.
Old 11th March 2013, 02:44   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
You would be surprised at the time it takes to do even a small change to programs like this. Especially the testing!! Far quicker to just set yourself up a shortcut to your plugins folder. Or the trick I'd use is to Right Click the Winamp shortcut and use the "open file location" button. (If XP, then you need to look at the properties of the shortcut itself)

It is so rare something like this is gonna get used it makes more sense this is a user based solution instead of default in the program.

If you need this a lot you could even rig up some batch files. Would not take you much effort to make custom links to Winamp which passed through various different batch files which renamed the plugins you don't need before starting Winamp.
i didn't really want to get into a debate on this, i just wanted to say that i thought it would be cool.

but i will now explain why:

first off, you could make the argument about "few people use x/y/z" about almost ANY feature in winamp. visualizations, replaygain, etc... which ones have a majority? winamp isn't itunes and shouldn't be designed to just do the majority needs. and besides, lets say only 20 people would use it, (which i don't believe but just saying); i think that might still be worth it, speaking timewise, esp if some are devs.

secondly, its not just a matter of convenience. it could be very helpful in troubleshooting. you could also add plugin verification.

third, and exciting to me, is the possibility to create different "profiles" where you could have one that loads just a few, while another loads a bunch, while another does SC, and yet another is for burning and ripping. these profiles could extend to skins and prefs beyond just plugins, and if you could do that, i would setup shortcuts to load a specific profile for a given winamp setup.

but to get there, u need babysteps.

in any case, not trying to upset anyone or start an argument, just explaining myself.

--
Old 11th March 2013, 10:41   #24
DrO

maybe there is a point to having it, but having a profile for x, y and z is counteractive to things - if you need a specific Winamp setup for doing a task, you're better off having a specific install, none of this turning on / off. so not only would it complicate the UI, it complicates how Winamp can be run and how it could be made to get into 'bad' states. i think you've just managed to convince me it's a bad idea so i won't be doing it. and you can already do things for settings. that's the whole point of the /config ini option.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:03   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

i've convinced you its a bad idea? you know DrO, sometimes you take the cake. but i can't help but still think you're a great dev.

yeah, i guess its a terrible idea. in fact, its so bad an idea, that EAC does it. you can save and load on the fly, as many profiles as you want, that impact every pref and hardware config EAC has.

i'll be sure to let them know that their implementation, which works perfectly, is a terrible idea.

--
Old 12th March 2013, 12:03   #26
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

MrS - why don't you create your own implementation of this as it is important to you? A simple version would involve multiple batch files. Won't take you long to add the options that you need.

A more complex one would be for you to create a plugin to do it. If you learnt a bit of C\C++ you could then create tools like this that you think are useful. This is the point of plugins. So non-essential extras can be built for Winamp by those who want to create new features while the devs get on with the important core work.

It would also give you an interesting insight into the life of a developer.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:08   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

i don't know why people are seeking out arguments with me or wanting to insult me. i assure you, i did not shit in any of your cheerios this morning. the perp is still at large.

i did not say this was pressing or a priority. i said it would be "cool." i did not say it needs to be done asap. i merely said "here's why i think it would be cool."

is that a crime these days? do i really need to be put down for it?

i made it absolutely crystal clear that "i don't know how much is involved obviously to extend that" [capability to the plugins].

i made it crystal clear that no one should not see their gf over this req/idea.

i made it crystal clear that i am not a dev, and that i appreciate the work done in 5.7b, esp safe mode.

are we now at a point, where everytime i simply say "this would be cool" and why it would be cool, that i will be attacked for doing so? that my ideas will be labelled "bad." that unless i learn to code i should not speak?

i would also point out, that without access to the "core" code, what i am talking about doing here is most likely not possible by a 3rd party dev.

i am a user, and i have beta tested many things in winamp. i would daresay i have identified more bugs (and seen them get fixed) than any non-nullsoft dev/user in this thread. i happen to be good at beta testing and spotting bugs. egg just asked me to repost my 9 suggestions for WFA 2.0 in his official thread, b/c he agrees with them. and all i have done and continue to do i have done for free, which imo, SHOULD be appreciated, at least to the point where i am not derided. kind of a "low bar" but one seemingly hard to reach these days.

in other words, even lowly non-dev users have their worth. and their commentary, if constructive, should be welcomed, not mocked.

--
Old 12th March 2013, 14:26   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
i made it crystal clear that no one should not see their gf over this req/idea.
What does "gf" mean? A google slang search says "girlfriend", but that does not seem right in this context.

Old 12th March 2013, 14:33   #29
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

There is no need to post angry rants when people are trying to help you achieve something. Picking a fight will not get any of us anywhere. Working together with ideas to solve things in different ways is what a forum is about. We can just keep loading up more and more work on the devs as they are only human. (Well, some of them are)

"Writing a batch file" just means opening a text editor and typing a couple of lines. Then saving it back as a file on your desktop.

Example: assuming your plugins are in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins"

Open Notepad. And paste in the following.

Quote:
ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ml_disc.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ml_disc.off"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe"
Save that as "ripping-off.bat"

Now save a second version that is as follows:

Quote:
ren "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ml_disc.off" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\ml_disc.dll"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe"
And save that one as "ripping-on.bat"

You will need to Right Click these and tick the "run as administrator" option as you are renaming dlls in the program files folder. (That is what the "ren" command is doing) If your Winamp is installed in a less protected area this will not be an issue.

Also note that the speech marks are needed in the above because of the spaces in file names.

With a bit of experimentation you will build up a collection of quick on\off switches. As you are aware, just renaming a plugin dll is enough to stop it from loading up.

With a collection of batch files you are heading towards your profiles idea. Quick and simple.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:47   #30
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
What does "gf" mean? A google slang search says "girlfriend", but that does not seem right in this context.
U r correct. It was DrOs shorthand earlier in the thread.

--
Old 12th March 2013, 15:08   #31
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
U r correct. It was DrOs shorthand earlier in the thread.
Yes, he wrote "though it's tempting to give up seeing the gf as it'd ensure gen_nunzio wouldn't work in any capacity."

And you later wrote, "i am missing the joke, b/c i thought nunzio was someone else?"

I know gen_nuzio.dll is the file name for 1FN, and I also don't get the joke. But I don't really need to. Thanks for confirming what "gf" means.

Old 12th March 2013, 15:16   #32
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

LOL!!! It took me ages to work out what that new TLA was you guys kept using. I knew what a GF was, but didn't have a clue as to what 1FN was. Finally sussed it out. Though I think it is funny to give a TLA to something the moment it becomes obsolete.

(N.B. TLA = Three Letter Acronym)
Old 12th March 2013, 15:56   #33
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Batter Pudding,

MrSinatra has been using 1FN for some time. I used it talking to him because I knew he knew what it meant.

Old 12th March 2013, 17:44   #34
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Batter Pudding:

gf i knew from DrO for maaaaaaaany years, but the the 1FN thing was even new to me, lol
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 18:12   #35
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

For a while I thought 1FN was "One Fat Nun" or "One Future Nacho" or some secret code. Gave a chuckle when I saw it in a sentence. There are a few other TLAs that have been used lately that have gone over my head as I just don't have time to read every post here. Just pop in when I feel like helping out. Or get beckoned back by a subscribed thread. (I am so out of date I didn't even KNOW there was a beta release...)

Getting more tempted to start writing plugins... if I ever find the time. Meanwhile... another little batch file idea for anyone who wants to splatter their TRK***.tmp files.

Quote:
del /Q %TEMP%\trk*.tmp
Again, save it as something like "KillWinampTrekkies.bat" and click it any time you feel like cleaning up. No need for the "run as administrator" option this time as anyone can delete temp files when they feel like it. (Assuming the file is not in use)

With CCLeaner - be careful as to how it handle's Winamp. I've had it wipe out a little bit too much data before as that program does not just clear out the crap, but also is supposed to remove traces of what you have been watching and listening to. I also believe it kills files from the %TEMP% older than a few days, it doesn't flush everything. It will certainly nail all the oldest trash though.

(Yes - I am talking to lurkers here mainly as I realise most of the people in this thread already know how to do this stuff)
Old 13th March 2013, 13:05   #36
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
With CCLeaner - be careful as to how it handle's Winamp. I've had it wipe out a little bit too much data before as that program does not just clear out the crap, but also is supposed to remove traces of what you have been watching and listening to. I also believe it kills files from the %TEMP% older than a few days, it doesn't flush everything. It will certainly nail all the oldest trash though.

(Yes - I am talking to lurkers here mainly as I realise most of the people in this thread already know how to do this stuff)
By default, CCleaner will only delete temp files older than 24 hours. This can be disabled in it's advanced options for the Windows and users temp folders together or separately. However, I suggest rebooting before deleting temp files less than 24 hours old, unless you are sure they will not needed. Sometimes upgrades store new files in %TEMP% folders and have them replace current files during a reboot. If they are deleted, the upgrade will be incomplete. Learned this the hard way.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support