Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 8th February 2013, 12:11   #1
alex_ncfc

Question Albums view showing seperate tracks for some albums? Also Album Washer question...

Hi all,

Hope somebody can offer some advice on this issue with Winamp for Android.

I'm trying to sort my music out on my phone. I have albums ripped to my PC and they are store in folders, just as I am sure most people do. I then copy these directories to my 'music' folder on my phone when connecting via the USB cable.

When I start WinAmp on my phone (Xperia S) I goto Album view by pressing the album button. Some of the CDs I have copied to my phone show up under just one entry, but even in album view, some show the individual tracks from the album rather than just one album heading. So if the CD had 20 tracks on it, it should just show the one album heading, but I get all 20 tracks showing up. How do I resolve this?

This also makes Album Washing hard, because I like to long click on the album and 'wash' all tracks - I can't do this if they show up individually. Something is messed up but not sure what.

Also most times Album Washer will get 99% of the album, but will show a track that it believes isn't in the album. Is the way around this just to tick the box and include it anyway??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alex
alex_ncfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 10:50   #2
alex_ncfc

No ideas?
alex_ncfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 14:51   #3
JMullins

WinAmp like most of the players does not use the file folders to determine the info. It uses info inside the file itself. If the files are MP3 files then the info is an ID3 tag. You can get free tools to edit the tags. Inside one of the entries is the Album Name. They must be identical or the program will think it is different albums.
JMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 21:23   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 21:51   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Are these compilation albums, i.e. Various Artists?

If yes, then "Album Artist" support implementation is near the very top of the ToDo list.

But currently, the Winamp Android app sorts Artists using the "Artist" field from the id3 tag, which causes it to list all songs from compilation albums separately :-(

Once "Album Artist" support is implemented, then it'll list all songs from compilations (ie. where the "Album Artist" field in the id3 tag is "Various Artists") under one album.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 21:59   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Egg,

maybe i misunderstand, but i thought we went over this before?

winamp can put songs on the phone either via wifi or usb. one of those lets the user decide folder structure.

my recollection is if you edit the way it does it, and "albumartist folders" are used, it will display comp albums properly.

having said all that, this is something, as i recall, that winamp needs to fix properly for defaults imo. first of all, wifi and usb should both be configurable (one isn't) and should both SHARE the same user set config.

that same default config should be to use AA folders, which last i checked, it didn't.

second, AA tags should be supported.

third, it would also be a good idea to support comp tags. winamp will set a comp tag/flag for VA things i believe when xfering to an idevice, but full fledged comp tag support would probably be helpful.

--
Old 11th March 2013, 22:39   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

more info here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=331309

--
Old 11th March 2013, 23:48   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@MrSinatra

Yeah, I think you're right. I think it's just in the Winamp Android 2.0 Beta where Album Artist hasn't been implemented yet.
It's already implemented in the current 1.4.x release build.

Sorry, my bad.
I've been testing this beta seemingly for so long that I'd forgotten, lol. ;-)

Just looked on my HTC phone with 1.4.10 and all Various Artists albums are listed properly (as single entries).
But on my Archos tab with 2.0 beta, each Artist/Song on the compilation is listed as a separate item.

So yeah, disregard....

Of course, there's always the possibility that it's a pmp_p4s related issue with my Archos, because it connects as an MTP device, not a UMS device (therefore pmp_p4s is used instead of pmp_android).

I will look into it further.... but right now, it's late, I'm tired, and I want to go home
Old 12th March 2013, 02:23   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

hi Egg,

np. i got your initial reply in my email and i was like "ugh, i'm going to have to argue this" ...but by the time i got to here on the forums, i saw you already had seen the error.

i would really like to help you [egg, devs, winamp] solve this issue, so in the next post i will lay out my recommendations to fixing the issue. i did much the same for the devs at squeezebox some time ago. i hope that will help you too.

--
Old 12th March 2013, 03:34   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

so, my understanding is nullsoft is going to go to WFA 2.0 fairly soon, yes?

if so, it would REALLY be a good idea to FIX some of the serious under the hood issues with WFA, syncing, and so on, so they are forever fixed going forward.

here is what you need to do, imo:

1. you need to change the terminology throughout the winamp desktop app to be CONSISTENT. CD Ripping (which doesn't) and "the droid path" (which does) should BOTH use <albumartist> for "album artist" and <artist> for "track artist" ...any other confusing inconsistentcies should likewise be stamped out.

2. the user can already make adjustments to prefs, etc, for USB transfers. the user can NOT do the same for wifi xfers. why? again, this should be changed, wifi xfer settings should be equally exposed, which leads to:

3. both the USB and the wifi xfer settings should be controlled by the same pref[s]. so what i mean is that it shouldn't matter if the user uses a USB cable or wifi to do things, there should be ONLY one set of prefs to control BOTH types of xfers. otherwise, the USB ones risk being divergent from what the app forces via wifi ones.

so to put it another way, the method of xfer should not matter, the prefs applying to xfers will be universal/global to any type of xfer, and all methods of xfer should be controlled by the one set of prefs for that (i.e. winamp to droid).

4. the defaults are currently terrible for the prefs. they should look something like this, (where G is the Droid):

G:\Music\<Albumartist>\<Album>\## - <Artist> - <Title>

when the music is put on the device in this way, it properly organizes albums, including VA ones, on a droid/WFA.

the current default, for wifi, is close to that. but for USB, it uses track artist! thats just silly. and thats the kind of divergence u get out of the box, as well as a crappy default.

5. in WFA, albums need to show that they are "by" a TPE2 value (album artist) not a TPE1 (track artist) value, which is never correct for VA albums.

6. use TPE2 when TPE2 is present. if TPE2 is blank, then look for TCMP=1 tags, and if present, assume albumartist=VA (common in itunes files); and if not present, use TPE1 to = TPE2. FYI: gracenote commonly assigns an AA value.

7. copy all art files in a given album folder (even for only one xfer'd track) to the phones same album folder.

7a. give me a way to "refresh artwork" on WFA the way i can on the desktop app.

8. i know this is "8" but its a really important one! WFA should respect AA tags, and allow users to switch, on the fly, browsing between a list of artists (track artists) or AAs (album artists). and browsing albums should ALWAYS be done via album artists > albums, OR album artists > year > albums.

thats all i can think of for the moment.

imo, with 5.7 in beta and WFA 2.0 right around the corner, there is no better time than now to fix the issues listed above and have this all straight going forward for the rest of time! these aren't minor issues, a lot of of users have posted about this which means a lot more users are out there just "giving up" on an incredibly messy current implementation.

--
Old 12th March 2013, 09:46   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hey MrSinatra

I agree.

Please could you post it in the Winamp For Android 2.0 Beta discussion thread.

Thanks.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:26   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

thank you.

i was starting to feel unloved around here.

--
Old 20th August 2013, 18:50   #13
Makrophag

Send a message via ICQ to Makrophag
Any news on this?
I recently got a HTC (One SV) with Android 4.0.4 and already messed around with Tags in compilation albums. WFA also shows no option to look for album artist, so both standard and winamp music players will show a single album entry for each different artist.
Also, after sending files to my HTC via winamp and reconnecting it, winamp shows no artist album or genre Tags anymore for the files on the HTC. Where does it go? It makes removing songs album-wise impossible via winamp.
Makrophag is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
album, albumwahser, multiple, playlists, washer