Old 11th March 2002, 19:15   #1
roseladi

Help,,, .wav files

How do you get Winamp to play .wav files from the location ????
My winamp will play mp3 and other files from the web site, it gives the option to save file or open from current location. The problem is with .wav files it dont give the option to open from current location and it did before, that option is greyed out in the popup window when you click on a link for a .wav file.

Have several computers with same problem

OS= winME and win98se
AMD Athlon 1.1gig $ 800mhz
SB Live card & SB 128
adsl 1.5m connection thru net cards
All system updates are current

BTW, i can click on a link to an mp3 and it will offer the option to open from current location and will open Winamp and then play music fine. I dont want to save files just to listen & delete, want to hear it 1st then d\l if i like it.

Thanx for your help in advance.
roseladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2002, 03:32   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Although "open from current location" shouldn't be greyed out, I hope you realise that the file is still being downloaded to your hard drive, whichever of the 2 options you choose.
With "save to disk", naturally you are specifying a folder to save the file to, and then it's up to you from thereon to play or delete it, or whatever.
With "o.f.c.l.", the file is automatically downloaded to your "Temporary Internet Files" folder and automatically opens/plays once the download is complete.
It's not as easy to notice this with an adsl connection, because the download will seem pretty fast, but believe me it's noticeable for us poor 56k modem users

Anyway, I've got a feeling this is related to some Windows/Internet Explorer Security Update, or possibly Windows Media Player 7/8 installation/update.

I've never heard it happening with WAV files before, only PLS playlists up to now, so this is a first case scenario.

TSGH -> PLS Association bug (IE5.5+ bug):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=37700
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=74434
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=37053
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....322#post468322

Links to all the above & explanation:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=75657

So I'm assuming it must be related....
ie. something to do with missing audio/x-wav MIME type in the Windows Registry.

Are you comfortable with using Regedit?

Do the following keys exist?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/wav
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-wav

Oh, and could you possibly provide some url's / links to these WAV downloads?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2002, 04:39   #3
roseladi

Yes the reg. key is there and has a CLSID value too. I have no trouble diving into the registry at all and i know it still saves them to disc in c:\windows\temp. I would just like the option back to open from location. I want to choose not MickeySoft do it for me, hehe. I have tried the folder settings & no luck, still not working,

Any help on what i need to edit in reg. would be appriciated as this is so irretating and i would just like it to work like it did. Also i will be thinking twice when getting the MS updates as to what they might do to Winamp.

Thanx

oops, the URL's follow:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/tylerbridge/551/
http://eaglesweb.com/leasplace/justwavs/rock/A-E.html
http://www.nighthawkmusic.co.uk/
just a few that work still.

Well i just tried all the different things on those links including the reg. edit file (pls.reg) and it still not working.
Its 12:30pm CST my time so i will check back tomorrow if you have any other sugestions.

Last edited by roseladi; 12th March 2002 at 05:26.
Old 12th March 2002, 05:48   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, I tried out nighthawkmusic.co.uk
The WAV files here are actually MP3-Layered (compressed).

I clicked the link to PG's Sledgehammer, and then I realized that I've still got WMP 6.4 set up as my default WAV player, so it opened up instantly and started streaming . . . no problems there (apart from the fact that WMP is my default WAV player, which I'm not too bothered about because the only WAV files I've got are my system sounds).

So, I went into Folder Options -> File Types -> WAVe File -> Edit
and checkmarked "confirm open after download".
Then when I clicked on the link the 2nd time, the Open/Save dialog appeared with both options available. Choosing "o.f.c.l." still invokes WMP6.4 to open & instantly start streaming/playing.
This is on a Win98SE system, with IE5.1 sp2 and no WMP7+ installed.

So, for now, I suggest you temporarily make WMP the default WAV player
WMP Options -> Formats tab -> select "Audio File" (.wav)
See what happens now when you click a WAV link in IE.
Is the ofcl option available again? (after following my steps above)

If yes, then rather than reselecting WAV in Winamp Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Filetypes (to make Winamp the default WAV player again), you could just go into Windows Folder Options -> File Types -> WAV, and manually create the entries for Winamp.
eg. New action -> Play in Winamp
Command line "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE" "%1"
Okay
Select "Play in Winamp" -> click "set default" button.

You can also add "Enqueue in Winamp" and "Add to Winamp's bookmark list" if you wish. Just copy the same commands from the Winamp Media File entry in Win98, or from any associated extension (eg. MP3) in WinME.

btw, the MIME setting (Content Type) for WAV should be:
audio/wav
(in Win9x only, not WinME - because the option isn't even there)

If the problem persists, could you include the CLSID value for audio/wav (and audio/x-wav if it's different) in your reply.

It's potentially a bit of a tough one this, but ya never know, we might be able to fix it. It just depends on what reg keys have been modified by these st00pid M$ updates.
If the worst comes to the worst, I'll have to make Winamp my default WAV player and export an auto regfix for you . . . similar to the PLS fix. Although, it's slightly different in the PLS case, where it's "always ask..." which is greyed out, not "ofcl"

Note to our wayward regmaster:
Hey, Winsane - this one's for you matey.
Old 13th March 2002, 06:12   #5
roseladi

Well i tried the settings for Windoze media and it dont offer the ofcl, it just started playing music. I like Winamp because of its size and features, plus the sound quality was much better than win-media when i 1st heard it.

Thanx for all the help and i am still searching thru technet at MickeyShaft for some clues. Anything else you come across let me know.

reg-key= mime\database\content type\audio/x-wav
CSLID= {cd3afa7b-b84f-48fo-9393-7edc34128127}
Also i have Win-media player 7.1 version.

i sure want my Winamp to work.
Old 13th March 2002, 06:49   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Try changing the CLSID for both audio/wav and audio/x-wav to:

{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}

It might be wise to backup the current keys first, just in case.

ps. did you checkmark "confirm open after download" for WAV entry in Folder Options -> File Types?
Old 14th March 2002, 04:18   #7
roseladi

Well, yes i checked that and i tried the CSLID #numbers. It still wont give the option to ofcl and i have come to believe that windoze media player will have to do for now.

I would like to thank you for all your help and the tips for settings on the folder options, etc. I sure hope a fix can be figured out, it dont seem right that someone has decided for me to take that option out "ofcl".

I think i will write and call MS about this as i think there should be an option for users of there product to choose what they want. After all this is a free country, so MS or no one should be able to dictate or force unwanted programming on the user.

Anyways, thank you for all the effort and help. I will continue to watch this post & forum for a solution.

Old 15th March 2002, 05:51   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hey! I don't give in that easily

Hmm . . . so after checkmarking "confirm open after download", WiMP now gives the option of ofcl or save to disk? Yes/no?

Another thing you can try is to totally remove the entry for WAV in Folder Options.

(File Types tab -> WAV -> Remove -> okay)

Then go back into Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes and select WAV
This should then create a new entry for WAV in Folder Options/the registry.

But, before you do any of ^that^ . . . try this monster DJ-Egg regfix.

I'm pretty determined to get this fixed for you
(I wouldn't rely too much on anyone from M$)

Simply download the wav.reg.zip file
Unzip the wav.reg file and merge it into the registry
(the default action when opening/running = merge)

This fix is pretty much a complete one,
so let me know if it works please.

If not, then I'll cook up another regfix, and will keep on doing so until the problem is fully fixed! What a guy, eh ?!?!

Fingers crossed
Attached Files
File Type: zip wav.reg.zip (1.0 KB, 206 views)
Old 16th March 2002, 00:47   #9
RockyJ

I don't understand the question

When I clicked one of the referenced files (which is not a wav but a mp3 something or another, I think DJ already mentioned) It copies it to the hard drive folder from which winamp opens and plays it. This is natural because it is not a streaming file, no?

anyway when I say to confirm on download thing it will save to folder of user's choice or save to win/temp directory for opening and playing by winamp, no?

Has it ever been any other way?

-RockyJ-
"And now, here's something really important"
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
RockyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 06:00   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Absolutely! Yes, it has always been that way . . . .

However, the problem roseladi is having is that when he/she (sorry, not sure of gender ) enables "confirm open after download" there is no option to "open from current location" . . . it's greyed out!

This is not the case for you, me and 90%+ of everyone else.
At least the option to "ofcl" is actually available.

Sure, like I said in my first reply, it still downloads to the HD into the Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder, but at least it opens and plays automatically this way . . . whereas when you use the default "save to disk" option, you need to manually open the file afterwards in order to play it (or just click the "open" button in the save dialog once the download is complete, as long as "close this save dialog when download is complete" isn't checkmarked).
I know there's not much difference between the two options, but it's still nice to actually have both options available.

Besides, with a broadband connection the download should be pretty fast anyway. You can also checkmark "empty temp internet files when browser is closed" in the IE Options -> Advanced tab, to automatically delete all the crap you don't need in the internet cache . . . or you can manually empty the cache via IE Options -> General tab -> T.I.F.'s -> delete.

Basically, roseladi wants to be able to listen to the music before permanently saving anything to the HD. The easiest way would be to just drag+drop the url into the WA playlist, or copy+paste the url into WA's "Open Location" box (Ctrl+L) . . . but still, the "open from current location" option SHOULD at least be available.

Anyway, the auto reg fix should sort it out . . . hopefully.
Old 17th March 2002, 23:35   #11
roseladi

Hi, the gender is female if you didnt get that by my nick .

Well i tried the reg fix and it didnt work, so i went and deleted the Win-media player, plus winamp, then ran Norton system check to remove all the reg leftovers. After the clean out i started over, 1st installed winamp, ck the web site to see if it worked and no. I then reinstalled the reg fix, again not working.
Checked at Mickey$haft to see if the security updates may be the cause, of course not enough info there to determine that. So i tried to go backwards on IE to the 5.1 version, haha, not, wont let me un-install 5.5 and go to older version. Dont think its an winME specific issue as we have 4 computers 2= win98se & 2= winME os's, with all having the same "ofcl" problem.
I have been watching different file types to see what did give the "ofcl" option & found it also greys out on some winzip files. Dont know if that has anything to do with it but i am looking at all possible explanations for this delema.
Ok, i gave in and re-installed win-media so the .wav would play when i click on a song link, so i dont have to save to disc and then search for it. Now win-media opens and plays the song <-- thats what i want winamp to do, win-media just sounds soooo aweful, like a tin can or something compared to winamp.
So thats where im at now, i am just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem?? or is it just us?? Maybe its in a configuration setting somewhere, not sure??? We have spent the past few days checking and triple checking all the settings for all related to web d\l'ing and am pulling my hair out in chunks over this.
Well, was about ready to give up, but, i just cant stand the thought of leaving it like it is, there must be a way to fix it.
"hopeing there is a fix" Any more ideas at this point ????

PS:: thanx DJEgg for all your help, you are great for all the effort!
Old 18th March 2002, 00:29   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hey! I was wondering where you'd got to

Sad to hear the regfix didn't work.
So, still no option to ofcl

Yeah, WMP always streams files when it's the default player
and it never gives the option to save anything to disk,
not unless you checkmark "confirm open after download" first.

However, when Winamp is the default player, it always gives the option to save to disk instead of streaming. The only way to get an MP3 or WAV file to stream in Winamp is to drag the url into the playlist window or copy+paste it into the Open Location box.

The only files which Winamp will stream by default are PLS and M3U playlists.

Though, still, the ofcl option should at least be available.
Damn those M$ security updates . . . it's an act of sabotage for sure.

I'll look further into this later (it's 1.30am where I am and I can feel a big sleep comin' on).

Oh, and btw, I figured you were a gal, but I wasn't 100% sure.
Hey, ya never can tell these days

Anyway, I'll definitely get back to ya on this one
(I'll see if I can come up with another regfix)
If only I knew which reg keys/strings had been modified in the first place....
Old 18th March 2002, 22:58   #13
RockyJ

Do you have zoneAlarm program installed?

How is this registry key set:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\15

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**

Last edited by RockyJ; 18th March 2002 at 23:15.
Old 18th March 2002, 23:41   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Woah Rocky!

Where did ya pull that one from my friend?

A seriously mighty binary value on mine:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\15]
"ViewView2"=hex:1c,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,00,00,01,\
00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,f0,f0,f0,f0,14,00,03,00,30,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

There's a whole heap of subkeys ranging from 1 to 199 under there too . . .

I've never come across these before, so I'm gonna do a quick bit of research....
back real soon

Yeah, sure, it could be nothing to do with M$ directly.
It very well could be some firewall related issue.

EDIT #1

Hmmm . . . interesting shit dudes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=HKEY_...&output=search

EDIT #2

Doesn't look like that regkey's got anything to do with it. Seems to be where Windows stores info about Folders/Windows/Apps sizing & display settings, etc.

eg. from: http://pages.zdnet.com/hampsi/Articles/explorer.htm

{QUOTE}

Windows Amnesia

After you have obtained the type of view you wish, the next step is to adjust the window size to your preference. Sizing windows is something everyone learns at the beginning. The trick is to get Windows to remember your preference so that you do not have to resize every time you open a new window. In principle this is easy. In View|Folder Options|View, there is a box with the caption, “You can make all your folders look the same.” If you have your settings where you like them, click the box, “Like current folder.” However, this brings us to one of the unsolved mysteries of life (or at least of Windows). At random times Windows will “forget” your settings (size, view, everything) and revert to the defaults. There are many purported explanations but no one seems to have a unique, definitive handle on why this happens. There appear to be a number of things that can cause Registry settings to jump back to the defaults. In my experience, it seems to be worse with Windows 98SE but that is a subjective assessment.

The most straightforward and easiest to understand of the reasons for Windows amnesia is the fact that it can save only a finite number of different settings. Settings are kept in the Registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams. Windows 95 has room in the registry for 29 separate settings and Windows 98 increased this to 200. When the limit is reached the oldest setting is dropped. Thus, after you have opened many windows you will find yourself back at the default. There are a number of ways to work around this limitation on the number of settings, but then, at apparently random times, Windows will still suddenly revert to the defaults. The Internet and Newsgroups have much discussion on the phenomenon with various suggested fixes. None seems to work all the time and if anybody knows a definitive solution, please let me in on the secret. For what it’s worth, here are a couple of common suggestions. After sizing a window to the desired setting, close it by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner while simultaneously holding down the Ctrl key. Another suggestion is to hold down Shift while clicking the X in the upper right hand corner. Yet another is to hold down the Shift+Ctrl keys while closing. Take your choice.

If you have installed TweakUI, make sure “Save Explorer window settings” is checked in the Explorer section.

{ENDQUOTE}

Similar results coming in from these too:
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q171/0/02.asp
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBD/tip1600/rh1649.htm
http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/explorer_2.shtml

Far out!
Old 19th March 2002, 05:03   #15
RockyJ

ok, hmmm how about the internet security settings.

or some bad juice in here??

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 19th March 2002, 05:16   #16
RockyJ

Quote:
{QUOTE}

{ENDQUOTE}
Hey DJ you on the wrong planet with those quote codes.

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 19th March 2002, 18:51   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, I just didn't want to blockquote such a large amount of text.
It makes it look ugly and difficult to read.
So I used the {} brackets to show where the quote started & ended.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

That's the place where the settings in IE Options are stored.
(Here also: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer)

It could be some security setting in there, but I doubt it . . .
It's more likely to be a key/string in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
and one which relates directly to .WAV files
eg. MIME: audio/x-wav | CLSID | EditFlags.
Old 20th March 2002, 14:08   #18
roseladi

Hi just wanted to let you know, havent been in here for a few days as we own our own business and just started a big job. Will try to get a chance tonight to work on it. Just didnt want you think I had dissapeared or given up,lol.
BTW you can see our work at http://wind.prohosting.com/2bts/ .
Old 27th March 2002, 23:23   #19
RockyJ

I just did a windows update of critical items and now mine does the same:

I click on a wav file in one of your pages and it opens it (copies to temp to open) at least that is what appears since I canceled before actually going thru with the operation. But there is no option to open or save regardless of my open confirmation option in the wav file types.

Must be the stupid MS updates.

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 27th March 2002, 23:59   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Windows Update sucks! Major league!
It's much more advisable to be in full control yourself without letting Microsoft run riot, installing a load of needless crap on YOUR pc. Their so called bug fixes tend to just replace old bugs with newer ones. An OS should just provide a gateway for the software you install to communicate with your hardware. But when it starts taking over, that's the point where you MUST draw the line.
Thankfully, there's none of that crap with Win9x and I disabled all AutoUpdate features in WinME. As for Win2k/XP . . . God help us all!

The Egg has spoken (again)
Old 28th March 2002, 02:49   #21
RockyJ

actually I recently upgraded from first ed to 2nd ed w98

and then did the undates.

Not sure if the bad updates are endemic (or should I say endemonic) to the SEU.

I agree w/ u . I always hesitated to automatically click on all their security fixes. Especially since I didn't know what they were changing. But soon as I do.

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 29th March 2002, 04:10   #22
RockyJ

DJ ck your registry entry for:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaPlayer.MediaPlayer.1]
@="Windows Media Player"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000

Also Rosalind, you may try changing this entry if it is currently at 0x10000hex

see what happens then report back

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 29th March 2002, 06:41   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm . . . interesting!

My EditFlags value for that key is displayed in the right-hand pane as:
0x00010000 (65536)

When I go to "Edit -> Modify", it's displayed as this DWORD Hex value:

Rocky: Are you saying that this fixed the problem for you?
ie. you changed it from 10000 to 00000

What about the CLSID subkey?
Mine's set as:
{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}
Old 29th March 2002, 22:09   #24
RockyJ

same clsid

my editflag setting was at 10000 also. The action was to auto download to temp dir and open with winamp with no option

setting it to 0 will open dialog box for download with option to save cancel or more info with open grayed out.

Try it DJ see what happens, better backup registry first

Also what is in this branch of registry, the

HKCR\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}

export that, DJ and attach here,thx

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 29th March 2002, 22:46   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The whole key is about 2.5KB
so I've zipped it up and attached it below.

Seems to be more related to WMP v6.4 plugins for RealAudio & QuickTime formats.

btw, I don't have the problem myself, so there's no need for me to modify my registry. Sounds to me like changing the 10000 to 00000 is the equivalent of checkmarking "confirm open after download" in Folder Options -> File Types. Like you said, the option to "open from current location" is still greyed out for you and roseladi, but not for me, so we need to work out what's different between your registry and mine . . . if only we knew what the exact relevant key is.

As I said earlier, where's Winsane when ya really need him, eh?
Calling the great RegMeister.... come hither!
Attached Files
File Type: zip hkcr_clsid_wmp.reg.zip (588 Bytes, 225 views)
Old 29th March 2002, 22:57   #26
RockyJ

thx DJ, I also am presently reading your referenced thread, looks intersting, may even be helpful

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=37053

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 29th March 2002, 23:02   #27
RockyJ

Hey DJ,

I noticed that when I click on a zip file it gives exactly the same dialog box (grayed open). I thought I was able to open such a file before hmmmm?

try clicking your file, is the open grayed out??

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 29th March 2002, 23:15   #28
RockyJ

my reg branch is exactly the same except I have not quicktime data entries for use. e.g. under .mov

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 29th March 2002, 23:44   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, "open from current location" is NOT greyed out for me with ZIP files, WAV files, or any filetypes whatsoever. The only thing that's ever greyed out for me is the "always ask for files of this type" checkbox for EXE files (which is standard procedure).

It's definitely looking like some st00pid Windows/IE security update to blame.
If it's affecting different filetypes & formats, then
maybe the relevant key isn't in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT after all?
It could well be something universal in HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Damn Micro$haft!
Old 30th March 2002, 00:18   #30
roseladi

Sorry to hear you did a Windows update Rocky . I think Mickey has given us the $haft as in Mickey $haft, Windblows!

I have tried the reg key and it still has "ofcl" greyed out and all this configuring has done nothing to fix that. Think its a security update from Windows that has caused this.

Files affected: Waves, some Zips (winzip).
Files not affected: mp3's & most all others d\l'ed.

WARNING!!! Be very careful of winblows updates as they may cause Winamp problems!!
Think im gonna install Linux, hehe, j\k. BTW, who is this elusive regmaster you speak of ?? Winsane??

Still hoping.
Old 30th March 2002, 07:12   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winsane is still listed as a moderator on the forum home page,
but he very rarely visits any more
Let's put it this way, he knows a thing or two about the registry.
Here's one example from a while back:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31240
There's plenty more, but I can't find them at the mo...

If Micro$haft had any decency, the least they could do is provide a list somewhere of everything that their st00pid security updates modify in the registry, just to make it possible to undo whatever evil they've done. But that would be asking too much of them. And, I bet if you ring their support # they wouldn't even have a clue what you're talkin' about. Damn them to hell

Hey Rocky, it's all down to you from here on.
Good luck in your quest!
Old 30th March 2002, 10:09   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Right! I'm gonna have one last bash at this.
I simply can't admit defeat!

Make sure WAV is selected in Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes.
Checkmark "Register files on Winamp start" (you can uncheck this later)
Cose Prefs
Close Winamp
Reopen Winamp

Run Regedit
Goto: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wav

The only strings in the right pane should be:
(Default) | "Winamp.File"
Content-Type | "audio/wav"

(There'll probably also be a couple of backup strings, eg.
Winamp_Back
MPlayer2.BAK
MP2.Last

And maybe "ShellEx" and "ShellNew" subkeys (under the main \.wav key)
But all these are totally irrelevant here, so just leave them as they are)

Most importantly, are there any other keys/strings?
eg. an EditFlags key?
There shouldn't be one, so if there is, delete it.

If there's anything else there, report the contents here.

Close Regedit

Now try a streaming WAV file again.

If no download/prompt dialog box appears:
Close Winamp

Goto: Folder Options -> File Types -> WAV (Winamp Media File)
Checkmark "confirm open after download"

Now try to stream a WAV file again.

Let me know the results.
Old 30th March 2002, 13:45   #33
RockyJ

I did it

I uninstalled win98SE update LOFL

Sorry bout that. Cheating huh?

Anyway before I did that. I went into my winupdate site, cked box of installed updates. and review every damn one to see uninstall procedures. Almost everyone had a inf file for uninstalling except 1 or 2 that didn't appear to be the problem. And, one of them, I think it was Mar 17, 2002 update that referred to url-handlers. I think it refers to this kb link
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q313829

It was suppose to be uninstallable with a remove progie called remove ms hotfixes 98 or something like that but it did not install that remove program no matter how many times I installed the fix.

It refers to a shell32.dll. I'm sure rosalind has this version installed. She may want to try install the original version from the cab files. See if it fixes it. It may not be a registry prob.

technet site at ms talks about the fix and url handler problems but I lost the link and my history folder doesn't list it?? must be problem from win98seu uninstall.

So Rosalind you may try to replace that file as a fix. Let us know.

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 30th March 2002, 13:52   #34
RockyJ

actually refers to this security bulletin
http://support.microsoft.com/default...n/ms02-014.asp

Read this DJ and see if you can figure out anything

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 30th March 2002, 15:12   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, I've read some crap in my time, but that M$KB article takes the biscuit!

Quote:

Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Could Lead to Code Running (Q313829)
If a program that uses a URL-handler shell extension is incompletely or incorrectly removed, a malicious user may be able to mount a "buffer overrun" attack on the computer. This attack, if successful, could allow malicious code to run on it.

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

GMT-UTC Date Time Version Size File name
----------------------------------------------------------
02-Jun-1998 16:00 4.72.3110.0 80,864 Advpack.dll
30-Nov-1997 22:59 20,480 Prebind.exe
07-Dec-2001 04:25 4.72.3812.600 1,388,816 Shel95.dll
07-Dec-2001 05:23 4.72.3812.600 1,719,056 Shelnt.dll
02-Jun-1998 16:00 4.71.704.0 2,272 W95inf16.dll
02-Jun-1998 16:00 4.71.0016.0 4,608 W95inf32.dll

Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition:
Microsoft has confirmed that this problem could result in some degree of security vulnerability in Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition.

MORE INFORMATION:
The Windows Shell provides the basic framework and functionality of the Windows user interface (UI). It is most familiar to users as the Windows desktop, but also provides other functions that help to define the user's Windows session. These functions include organizing files and folders, and providing the means to run programs. Shell extensions are programs that you can install to add to the functionality of Windows Explorer. Explorer is designed to respond in specific ways when a user completes various functions within its shell. When you click an item, Explorer searches for any program modules that have been registered for that event, and if one exists, it attempts to load that module. If the Windows shell is compromised, Windows may stop responding (hang), or control may be taken by a malicious program.

/EndQuote.

So, what does Micro$oft think this has got to do with being able (or not able, in this case) to open WAV files from the current location? Do they think someone can execute malicious code in a WAV file? I don't think that's possible even if it's an EXE or VBS file renamed with the WAV extension.
The mind boggles.

Are you sure that this was the security patch responsible?
Old 30th March 2002, 18:58   #36
RockyJ

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg

Are you sure that this was the security patch responsible?
No

but the q refers to the shell32.dll update version. Which one do you presently have on your machine?

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Old 30th March 2002, 20:34   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Errmmm . . . well I've got 3 pc's
One with WinME, one with Win98SE, one with Win95c/OSR2.5
All of them have got the default shell32.dll from the Windows setup CD.
Shell32.dll is an extension of the Explorer shell . . .
it's pretty much a core component.
It also contains all the default Windows icons, eg. desktop, folder, recycle bin, my computer, floppy drive, cd-rom drive, default filetype icon, etc etc.

Like I said, I disabled all auto-update crap.
I manually update everything myself,
and only the things I feel are absolutely essential.

Surely it's got to be a Registry setting if it only affects WAV and ZIP files.
Old 30th March 2002, 21:32   #38
RockyJ

this is apparently the new install of shell32.dll for win98 under this "fix"

also the registry entries made by this install are

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer","DisableFlushWrites",1,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer","UseCopyMaxBufferSize",1,01,00,00,00

which are binary numbs.

they don't look suspicious to me

Rosalind, you might try exporting that branch to save. and delete those values.

I entered them manually and it didn't do anything to the wav d/l prob

-RockyJ-
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support