Old 26th February 2001, 21:46   #1
tyeguy

Send a message via AIM to tyeguy
I have posted several times concerning this issue of skipping, and I haven't seen any good solutions yet, from myself or from others. I just recently decided to reformat and reinstall everything, with the hopes that this would clear up my skipping issues. But, to my great dismay, not a thing has changed. I can' bear to listen to my mp3s or my CD's through winamp any longer, for fear I will destroy my precious computer. Skipping has started in only the last several months, and I'm not exactly sure where the problem began, but I do know that it was not there before, and surely don't want it there now. Any ideas, folks? I have a p3-450 128 ram, with aim running, occasionally ie55 and oe running as well. also have a dsl connection. i'd love to hear if anyone has got a solution yet. thanks!

tye
tyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2001, 22:24   #2
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

what operating system are you running? (this might help finding a solution)

but these are some general ways to make things work:

download all the latest drivers relating to sound AND video

switch output plugins, from WaveOut to DirectSound or vise versa.

download the latest DirectX or service pack (if you use win2k)

defrag your hard drive, and do it often.

disable any dsp plugins or general plugins that you do not use or know what they do.

hope some of those help.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2001, 22:39   #3
tyeguy

-win98se

-all drivers are the latest (installed with reinstall of windows)

-both output plugins give the same trouble

-directx7a

-defrags once a week

-all useless plugins disabled
Old 27th February 2001, 02:30   #4
tyeguy

maybe it's fixed now

ok, check this...

i went ahead and installed directx8, hoping to get something out of this. but, nothing changed. songs still skipped in winamp, even cds. but if i played cds with the windows cd player, all was well, so it was my mp3s that i was overly concerned about.

so i did some more snooping, and noticed that for my cd-rom drive, my zip drive and my hard drive, none of them were set for DMA in the system/device manager. so i set them and restarted, reading that if these were unchecked after the restart, then this feature was unsupported. to my luck, they remained checked, and are therefore supported. and would you guess it?!?!? i don't get any skipping anymore!!! i have played mp3s continuously for several hours now (about 2-3), and i haven't gotten any problems with skipping, no matter what i am doing otherwise!

i'll keep you posted if things revert to their old ways...

tye
Old 28th February 2001, 00:49   #5
tyeguy

so far so good!

things are sounding great so far. left the machine on all day today, an i've come back home, started playing some mp3s, opening ie and oe and not even one hitch or hiccup. great!

tye
Old 1st March 2001, 07:35   #6
digitalschizoboy

You might also try this.

Tye, i'm glad you found that DMA thing, i'm about to try it right now. Perhaps this was my problem with skipping whenever a web page was accessed. i fixed my problem by modifying my System.ini file, adding a line: ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
under [386Enh]

This forces windows to be super stingy with the swap file and use memory more. Any less than 128mb, i wouldn't try it, i run 256mb, and it worked without a hitch.
digitalschizoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2001, 12:32   #7
tyeguy

i finally have no skipping

yep, this was the fix i needed. i had my machine running for two days straight, and i could listen to my mp3s without a hitch, even while running my usual other programs which used to cause me problems (ie and oe and aol and aim). So, if this works for anyone, that would be great!

tye
Old 1st March 2001, 12:38   #8
tyeguy

digitalschizoboy, i had tried that line in my system.ini at one point, but i hadn't done the trick for me. it may be nice to try it again, and it may work for you. i just don't even want to touch anything again just in case my problem comes back. all the best to ya!

tye
Old 1st March 2001, 23:06   #9
digitalschizoboy

So far, setting the DMA back on is working! (uplifting music, angels singing, etc, etc) So for whatever reason the DMA got switched off. Any idea what would've caused this to happen? Anycase, the system.ini mod did work for me, but no reason to mess around with that if all you need to do is turn DMA settings back on.
Old 2nd March 2001, 00:20   #10
tyeguy

Great! Finally, a solution!
Old 3rd March 2001, 04:26   #11
stormlight

dma in win2000

Were did you guys find the dma setting in 2000..its not in device properties for me
stormlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2001, 16:23   #12
tyeguy

i am only familiar with the dma settings in the device manager for win98, not 2000. someone should know though. hope you find out.

tye
Old 6th March 2001, 21:41   #13
tyeguy

is it working????

has anyone been having any positive results from this fix? if you have (or have not) let us know! hope to hear from you soon...

tye
Old 8th March 2001, 18:19   #14
Fritter45

Damsel in Distress

Here's my story if someone can help PLEASE do so! Ok there was a virue on my harddrive, so my dads computer-wise freind took it in and fixed her all up, installed more memory, windows 98 etc etc. The worst thing was that ALL my napster songs were ersed in the process. So i figured this sucks but lets re-download them. But when I tried to play them on napster (using the internall player) they skipped like a scratched cd. So i tried the default player (windows media player) which also scratched like hell. So i thought good old winamp should work, but after downlaoding it, my songs still skip! I have been reading the posts by tyeguy and ice and such, and i have no clue what a they are talking about. I know tyeguy found a solution but you see i am quite somputer illiterate so i dont get it. Anyone out there (like tyeguy) who is willing to give me a hand feel free to contact me! randee_19@hotmail.com or reply to this post!
THANKS A MILLION :-)
Fritter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2001, 00:45   #15
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Skipping... enough to make a guy take up drinking

Fritter, have you tried with other songs? Frankly, but no offense intended, it could be that it's just your songs. It may be that the person you got them from ripped them terribly.

I hope someone can offer you more insight than has already been provided here, and good luck.

Long live the musical revolution!
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2001, 17:23   #16
Fritter45

still skipping...

I don't think it's my mp3's that are skipping because I got them all from napster, all from different users, and they all skip. Could it be something to do with the way my computer recieves them maybe? So far the DMA setting were no help, and adjusting the output (waveout) on winamp didn't help either, so I am totally frustrated!
Old 10th March 2001, 17:40   #17
Fritter45

anyone help me with this?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalschizoboy
So far, setting the DMA back on is working! (uplifting music, angels singing, etc, etc) So for whatever reason the DMA got switched off. Any idea what would've caused this to happen? Anycase, the system.ini mod did work for me, but no reason to mess around with that if all you need to do is turn DMA settings back on.
WHAT I (fritter45) want to know is what is this system.ini thing? The DMA didn't work for me.
Old 10th March 2001, 19:37   #18
tyeguy

another possible option

fritter45, here's the idea for the system.ini fix.

go to start button, and select "run" from the menu
type in: msconfig and click ok
click on the tab that says system.ini
in this window is your system.ini file
you should see folders with + signs next to them
find the "386Enh" folder, and click the plus sign for it
the folder will expand with all its items in it
scroll down to the end of the items for the folder
select the last item
click the "new" button
you should now see a cursor blinking in an empty box
in that box, type: ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
click ok (save any changes)
and restart the computer
hopefully this will work for you now
Old 10th March 2001, 21:33   #19
digitalschizoboy

Fritter, if you're still having trouble, it might be related to what kind of video card you have. If your video is sucking up the CPU cycles, you'll get the skipping. My P2 450 doesn't have much to spare with the NV4 and Voodoo2 cards both sucking off it, so it doesn't take much for it to affect the audio output. i notice tyeguy has a 450 CPU too. i haven't found anyone with a 800+ CPU complaining anywhere else yet. Unfortunately, anywhere i was able to even scratch up this much info could only say "there's not much you can do about it", if this is your problem. Good luck. -2001 Schizo Boy
Old 10th March 2001, 21:36   #20
digitalschizoboy

..and me thinks NeoRen should just craque! It chafes less.
Old 13th March 2001, 10:20   #21
Keith Farmer

stormlight wrote: "Were did you guys find the dma setting in 2000..its not in device properties for me "

Go into the device manager, look under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", and right click the various channels. You'll find "DMA if available" and "PIO" under Advanced Settings.

Set to DMA, and reboot. This will also help solve some DVD playback problems, for the same reasons as you're encountering.
Keith Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2001, 21:10   #22
Fritter45

better...but...

Heres a little update:
Well I have tried nearly every idea given to me by about 30 different people, and I am still skippin, but it is bearable now, I can handle listening to my mp3's. My dad took my HDrive to his computer smart freind, and aparently had no problem playing files (as long as no "clicking around" took place, which still sucks), so I am still lost about this. Anyone have any suggestions? "I'm a s-s-survivor"
Old 14th May 2001, 12:47   #23
Pseudopedia

Send a message via ICQ to Pseudopedia
well.....

i recently bought a new computer.

AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz
40gb hdd
SB128
ASUS 7100 GeForce2 MX 32Mb
10/100 base T ethernet network card
19" monitor
600w subwoofer and speaker system
12x Creative DVD-ROM drive (48x CD read speed)
Win98 SE
umm yeh, think that about covers it.

on my old computer, i had no problems with jumpy sound or video.

p3 600Mhz
17Gb hdd
SB128
nVidia Riva TNT2 m64 32Mb
10/100 base T ethernet network card (diff brand/model to my new one i think)
15" monitor
300w (i think) speakers
50x Diamond Data CD-ROM drive
Win98 SE

i now have these two computers networked into a network of a handful of comps, mixture of macs and pcs, thru a hub, and a cable modem is plugged into the hub, with one of the macs serving the lan with the internet with a software routing application, using DHCP.

ok, so now that the scene is set...

on my new comp, i get skipping in winamp when playing mp3s most noticeable while surfing the net. not only does it affect my sound tho, it also has a tendancy to slow my video down.

I also host online multiplayer games, and i am getting a similar affect (crackling etc.) in them, particularly when i start shooting, and the video slows down.

I have read all the links to threads about this topic, and its obvious that it is a common problem with many theories and many solutions that work for some ppl, but not others.

I first tried fiddling with the output plugin. switching to DirectSound and upping the buffer and block size helped things in winamp a little, but it didn't eradicate the prob.

i checked out that dma thing... am i right in assuming that that means rightclick My Computer > Properties > Device Manager tab > Disk drives folder thing > double click my hd?
i did that went to the settings tab, which had pretty much everything greyed out except for a couple of check boxes... Removable (unchecked) and DMA (checked). does this mean that i have dma enable already? i'm guessing so, meaning that that doesn't help in my case.

I was just reading about disabling anti-virus software, which i have done for the past half hour or so, and in winamp at least, it seems to be making a marked difference. I haven't even restarted since disabling it, and it was stuttering b4, but has actually STOPPED stuttering since disabling it, even w/out a restart. i will continue to observe this phenomenon over the coming days, and test it with some online games etc.

I'm almost hoping, however, that this doesn't fix it, because I would like to have my anitvirus software protecting me at all times, since i have a permanent connex to the net.

I have also read some interesting theories about DHCP and network cards interfering with the whole thing. I don't really understand this area in great detail. could someone explain why dhcp/nics could be a problem to me?

I've also read about adjusting the system.ini file. I'm reluctant to touch this for fear of stuffing something up. is it really dangerous? are there any safeguards i can take? like can i back up my current system.ini b4 editing it? is it a good idea to edit this file at all?

I've also read that it could be a problem with my vid card stealing bus bandwith from my sound card. I seem to recall something about that being if both cards are PCI? i believe my vid card is AGP, so that shouldn't be a prob?

i also have the latest drivers, and the latest direct x (unless more recent vers of these have come out in the last couple of weeks).

I'm running the latest ver of winamp btw, on my new computer anyway, not sure what i'm running on my old comp, but it doesn't really seem to be a prob with winamp, cos i've noticed it in other aps such as wmp and games.

i'm thinking it could well be something to do with the internet because it crops up when surfing (IE5.5) and when playing games online primarily. I don't think i've ever had a prob when i'm not doing stuff with the internet connection. Once i remember it pausing majorly when loading word, but... i think that was b4 i switched to DirectSound, and since then its been better.

WOW, what a post. anyways, if ur still reading, u deserve recognition *rapturous applause*. could u plz help me?
Pseudopedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2001, 13:04   #24
Pseudopedia

oh, and i also remember reading that the vid card is more comfortable in some vid modes than others. atm, i'm in 1600 x 1200 x 32 @ 75Hz. I'm not sure from the context that this was raised in, but was this a general thing, or specific to the vid card they were talking about (rage 128 i think). i might fiddle with diff settings for it after i finish fiddling with the anti virus stuff.
Old 15th May 2001, 00:00   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Also look into disabling Smooth Scrolling
(Internet Options -> Advanced tab & TweakUI -> General tab)

Re: system.ini
Yes, always backup this file b4 editing it.
Copy & paste it to a backup dir somewhere.

You should also maybe try adding the line:
[display]
busthrottle=1

(This resolves any problems with busbandwidth stealing)

All this & more are explained in those links you were talking about.
Just for your benefit, here they are again:
RE: Skipping / freezing during playback
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=29776
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=30389
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=30885
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=43231
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31503
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=33769
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=29810
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31427
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31434
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=37143
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=45994
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=44757
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=32363
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....234#post141234
Search results regarding use of Smooth Scrolling
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2001, 00:43   #26
Pseudopedia

oh yes, i forgot about the smooth scrolling thing.

i'll give it a try, but i don't really think its that. even if it does improve things in winamp, its obviously not whats causing my probs elsewhere, such as in games and stuff.

i will add that busthrottle thingy to my system.ini file tho. how does one do that tho? just open in in notepad and add those two lines at the end of it or something?
Old 15th May 2001, 01:24   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You'll be surprised about the smooth scrolling thing.
It effects the whole of Explorer!
btw, Have you got TweakUI ?

Re: system.ini
Yes, open it in Notepad.
There should already be a [display] section. It's probably blank by default, but scroll down for it and just type in that line directly under it.
busthrottle=1

You'll need to reboot for all changes to take effect.
Old 15th May 2001, 06:49   #28
Pseudopedia

yes, i do have tweak ui

ok, i did the busthrottle thingy. (there was not [display] section, so i just added it)

ur right about one thing tho... i would DEFINITELY be surprised if that smooth scrolling thing makes a diff. i mean maybe it would for just normal mp3 playing in like winamp and stuff, but... i have the prob when playing games as well, like when i get into a close quarters battle, and start shooting, the sound gets really distorted, as in totally unrecogniseable type distorted, just a scratching sort of noise, and the frame rate just dies, next thing i know, i'm dead, the sound is back and the frame rate returns. the frame rate is SUPERB whenever it doesn't have to play much sound, like when i'm just walking round or something. if i change guns or something, and it has to play a gun change sound it skips a bit, but its just shocking when i get into a battle.

and i am obviously not scrolling any explorer windows at this time. (i do have explorer windows open in the background behind the game (msn gaming zone), but they are just sitting there, not even refreshing, since when u launch a game in zone, it suspends ur connection, and un-suspends it when u finish playing)
Old 15th May 2001, 12:24   #29
Pseudopedia

interesting, how interesting.

i believe it IS a prob with my antivirus software.

with it off, everything seems to run smoothly. I had it set to scan everything as it is downloaded. so whenever i did anything with the internet connection (surfing, gaming, etc), it was busy scanning what i was dling. i've stopped it from scanning stuff i dl, i set it to just scan stuff i run or open, and to just scan programs and documents. so it doesn't scan all my mp3s as it plays them, and doesn't just continually scan stuff basically. now winamp skips often when i run a program, as it loads, but once the antivirus is done, its ok.

well at least i've isolated the problem and can play my online games ok now (PHEW!!!). now... does anyone have any ideas/suggestions about why the antivirus stuffs it up, and if it can be fixed?

also... what exactly does busthrottle=1 do? now that i know what the prob is (and that isn't it i believe) should i revert to the backup of my system.ini? or better to just leave the busthrottle thing?
Old 15th May 2001, 23:59   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If the busthrottle=1 solution didn't have any effect, then you can safely remove this line. Basically, it means that the problem wasn't being caused by your videocard stealing bus bandwidth from your soundcard.

Regarding AntiVirus settings:
Just re-enable full scan when you're not gaming (etc); disable it when you are.
Certain A-V programs might claim to be the best in their field, but in reality are pretty poorly written (ahem, Macafee & Norton spring to mind, ahem), whereas other humble ones like the excellent freeware InoculateIT PE create no problems whatsoever whilst operating in Real-Time.

Another thing worth checking is to see if you've got the latest drivers for your SB128:
http://www.soundblaster.com/drivers/
Old 16th May 2001, 06:10   #31
Pseudopedia

ic...
well i am using norton as it happens.

i'll give inoculate a try, ty.
Old 29th April 2002, 05:43   #32
Chris Diack

busthrottle=1 - What does it mean...? Answer... read on...

Found this (attached) amongst my old files... It helped me solve an S3 video related problem with Winamp a couple (or more) years ago. The text is not mine but the writers name and details are included... The S3 problem was fixed by the busthrottle=1 fix. Hope it helps.
Chris Diack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 06:05   #33
Chris Diack

busthrottle=1 - What does it mean...? Answer... read on...

I'm new to forums... and I thought I attached a file to the last post but don't see it attached so... If it still isn't there here's a quote from the attachment... email me if you're interested...

[update July 1997] I've heard from the good folks at S3 that _ALL_ S3
drivers for all of their VGA cards (downloaded from www.s3.com) can be
fixed by adding a line in system.ini under the [display] section...
After [display] add the line 'bus-throttle=1' so (for S3 drivers):

[display]
busthrottle=1

Unguote
There's a whole lot more... Chris...
Attached Files
File Type: txt s3 information.txt (6.5 KB, 383 views)
Chris Diack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 11:10   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

heyhey

Absolutely! More than often, skipping problems are caused by vga drivers.
Here's that very same article in all its glory... in lovely html format.

vgakills
http://www.friedbagels.com/tecaudprobdu.html
Old 29th April 2002, 19:16   #35
TMiller918

I am running P3 850 with 384MB Ram and having skipping problems also. Smooth scrolling is disabled, have the busthrottle setting but device manager doesn't have any DMA settings for drives. BIOS shows DMA 5 for my hard drive...suggestions?
TMiller918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2002, 20:36   #36
Produkt1234

Tyeguy... or anyone can you please help me?

Hi guys,
I am kinda lost, I read the DMA posts, but I don't know how to do that on Win95 Plus!
Also, I don't know how to get to my device manage, I know I'm dumb, but can someone help me please?
Produkt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 15:57   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

In Win9x
right click "My Computer" on desktop
select "properties"
This will bring up the System Control Panel
(also accessible via: Start -> Settings -> Control Panel)
Go to Device Manager tab
Expand "Disk Drives"
Hi-lite your Hard Drive (should be named something like: Generic IDE Disk)
Click "Properties"
Go to: Settings tab
Checkmark "DMA"
Okay everything & reboot when prompted.
If on reboot, DMA is still checkmarked, then your HD supports DMA,
if it's unchecked again, then it doesn't!
Old 16th November 2002, 07:02   #38
Produkt1234

I need some more help please.

Hi everyone,
Thank you there Jegg, for helping me with my winamp problem, I haven't tried it yet as my computer crashed and I haven't formated it yet, Uhh I have a new problem though.
I have another computer and it was running Windows 98, and it was full of a bunch of crap and I just wanted to start from new. Now I re-formated it, and when Windows opened I do not have sound, And I cannot change my screen resolution. I tried instaling Windows ME instead but the same problem occured. If anyone has anyway they can help me, please let me know!
Produkt1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2003, 22:50   #39
macross233

IoPageLockLimit

have you increased that setting in your registry? if you have, try returning it back to its default. doing elminated nearly all of the stuttering i've had. it had dramatically improved results.

hope it works for you too.
macross233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support