Old 26th November 2004, 22:14   #1
DJ_WildFire

Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_WildFire
Music playing very fast when streaming

I have a DJ who when he streams his music, the music is really fast...almost to the point of chipmunk music. I have made sure his plugin is directx and yes he has the latest version of directx and his soundcard driver. He has windows xp. Our radio station has two streams...dialup and broadband. His internet connection is DSL. What else can we check or does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thank you.

[edit > JonnyMac] Moved from Winamp TS to SHOUTcast TS. | Please post SHOUTcast questions in the SHOUTcast forum. | Sticky: Looking for: Winamp3 v1.0? Winamp Tech Support IRC Channel? SHOUTcast Help? READ ME! | Please read the Stickies [/edit]
DJ_WildFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2004, 23:25   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
They are likely broadcasting at the wrong bitrate or samplerate than the previous stream was.

For instance if your stream is normally at 56k 22.050 and a new DJ jumps in at 64k 24.050 the result to the end listener will be fast or slow music as their players are still locked in at the previous settings.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2004, 14:45   #3
DJ Zath

Send a message via AIM to DJ Zath
correct, though its not the bitrate, but the samplerate Also use of non-standard samplerates can cause problems.

Your DJ's should use 44.100 Khz if they are on broadband and sending a high-rate feed..

alsom do NOT mix dial-up streams with broadband streams unless you either reset the listeners' players (usually dropping the stream does this) or inserting a "proxy" feed to isolate the DJ from the listeners.. The proxy is the way to do it, but it will have to be maintained..

DjZ
DJ Zath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2004, 15:42   #4
DJHotIce
Forum Loser
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to DJHotIce Send a message via Yahoo to DJHotIce
Are ya'll using a Backup file or Intro File? That can cause some issues.

-DJHotIce
Bounce Multimedia - Professional Web Design
DJHotIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2004, 12:23   #5
DJ_WildFire

No we are not using intro files. All of our DJs stream music on our broadband stream at 56kbps, 22.050khz Stereo. I asked this DJ that is currently having problems to stream at 48kbps, 22.05khz Stereo and he is still having the same problem. His music is to the point of chipmunks. I asked him last night about his computer and he told me that he processor is 734Mhz and he only has 112MB of RAM. Could this be his problem? That his computer cannot handle broadcasting music? Thank to all that have replied so far. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 30th November 2004, 12:34   #6
DJHotIce
Forum Loser
(Forum King)

If you've read the readme file that came with the DNAS. (Not trying to be a jerk or anything ) You would have found a small entry that stated that the devs. of SHOUTcast have tested and gotten results on a 300 Mhz & minimal amount of ram, and streamed to thousands on that one server. Point of this is... I don't think your dj's system specs are an issue.

-DJHotIce
Old 30th November 2004, 21:23   #7
DJ_WildFire

Like I mentioned in my first post...I am totally blonde to all of this. I would just like to find a solution to his problem. Most of the time..99% of the time..when you ask for support, they always ask for system specs. That is why I gave them out...but thank you for the head ups. Next time I wont give out system specs unless asked. Was just trying to save a post and possibly some time. This person would really like to deejay. thank you again.
Old 30th November 2004, 21:33   #8
DJ Zath

1.. make SURE you see the CORRECT settings displayed when hes streaming.. is he using the soundcard input feature in the DSP? and does his soundcard SUPPORT 22.050 Khz?

Which DSP is he using?

the problem is the system's samplerate has been, either mis-set or not supported...

DjZ
Old 1st December 2004, 02:31   #9
DJ_WildFire

Yes, he does stream at the correct settings that our broadband stream supports. Yes he does use the soundcard input feature to do line records, but he says he switches back to winamp (recommended). Yet when he does a line record I hear nothing...not him talking nothing. And how would he find out if his soundcard supports 22.050Khz? Thank you.
Old 1st December 2004, 02:35   #10
djmastermind
Forum King

What soundcard?

-- Michael
djmastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2004, 15:20   #11
DJ Zath

Quote:
... but he says he switches back to winamp....
This is the KEY factor here..

It sounds like the "encoder 1 bug"!

Have the DJ use "encoder 2" and set that up to be used instead.

The Encoder 1 bug is where the stream rate and sample rate will change back to 24/22/mono- even though it shows otherwise, different settings. This occurs whenever he switches from winamp to soundcard input and then back to winamp.. This WILL cause the incorrect samplerate to be reported and cause the imfamous "chipmonks" effect... Use Encoder 2 instead!

DjZ
Old 2nd December 2004, 23:33   #12
DJ_WildFire

Thank you DJ Zath but I have one more question. We have two streams. Currently, our DJs that use winamp w/Shoutcast use encoder 1 and encoder 2. So are you saying that they should be set up on encoder 2 and encoder 3? Also, I was talking to another one of our djs and he noticed that when he streams he is streaming only at 24kbps on the broadband and his encoder is set to 56kbps. What would cause him to stream at 24 but he is setup in Shoutcast at 56kbps? Is this a shoutcast problem or a computer problem? Thank you all for your responses so far.
Old 2nd December 2004, 23:36   #13
DJHotIce
Forum Loser
(Forum King)

Q: So are you saying that they should be set up on encoder 2 and encoder 3?
A: YES!

Q: Also, I was talking to another one of our djs and he noticed that when he streams he is streaming only at 24kbps on the broadband and his encoder is set to 56kbps. What would cause him to stream at 24 but he is setup in Shoutcast at 56kbps?
A: This would be part of the encoder bug.

Q: Is this a shoutcast problem or a computer problem?
A: Fixable SHOUTcast Problem. If you don't use encoder 1.

-DJHotIce
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support