Old 13th October 2007, 20:31   #1
dragonball

winamp 5.5(latest ver)'s Incompatibility with GTalk

hi,

just wanted to report that show current music track feature in gtalk isnt working anymore with newest winamp. The gtalk just hangs and hogs all CPU(~90%). is this known problem? any workaround? or is it me only>?

-regards.
dragonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 20:44   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Winamp has no "show current track" feature for GTalk. If you have a thrird-party plugin contact the author for support. If it is an issue with GTalk its self, contact Google.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 19:28   #3
ffejeroni

It has always worked (shown current track) in GTalk until this release of WinAmp, I'd say it's a WinAmp issue. Function works totally fine with WMP as well as iTunes.
ffejeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 19:49   #4
ffejeroni

After a little testing, it looks like GTalk only freezes the system up if you set it to show current track. Otherwise the two programs get along just fine. (FYI)
Old 18th October 2007, 07:09   #5
dragonball

exactly.
Old 18th October 2007, 13:04   #6
ffejeroni

^Bump, anyone else experience this? I am going to reinstall the newest version of GTalk and see what that does.
Old 19th October 2007, 18:55   #7
ffejeroni

Still getting this error. Can anpne besides dragonball try to recreate this? Load up GTalk, open WinAmp 5.5, change status to "Show Current Track" in GTalk and system freezes up.
Old 19th October 2007, 19:04   #8
dragonball

and yeah, i got 3 replies from google people, last one asking me to uninstall and download latest ver. of gtalk, which according to them, WILL solve the problem. i did that but to no avail :|

Lol, i thought google ppl were among the most intellectual guys on this planet!!
Old 22nd October 2007, 04:44   #9
path2k7

Quote:
Originally posted by ffejeroni
It has always worked (shown current track) in GTalk until this release of WinAmp, I'd say it's a WinAmp issue. Function works totally fine with WMP as well as iTunes.
I'm having the same issue as this poster.. It just started with Winamp 5.5, still works fine grabbing info from iTunes and other players.
path2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 04:50   #10
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Still something the makers of GTalk will have to address.

Old 22nd October 2007, 04:57   #11
path2k7

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Still something the makers of GTalk will have to address.
Did you stop to consider maybe it's actually something the makers of Winamp changed in their software that is causing the problem? If every other program works properly with the "Show current song info" feature, including older versions of Winamp, perhaps the fault lies in Winamp 5.5?
path2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 05:07   #12
Sawg
Forum King

It isn't Winamp that is malfunctioning, though. GTalk is. It's hard to fix other people's programs for them. Plus other programs that have the ability to detect current playing track from Winamp work fine. GTalk was using some hackish way to get the information, it need to be updated to do it properly. They are the ones who wrote the track detection code, only they can fix it.

Old 25th November 2007, 11:17   #13
fvaresi

Couldn't fix it, but here's a workaround for having winamp 5.5 and
googletalk working together:

- Uninstall winamp 5.5
- Install a previous version of winamp (i installed 3.x from
winampheaven)
- After installing winamp, you'll see a pop up requesting an upgrade
to 5.5. Accept it and it will take you to winamp 5.5 download page.
- Download and install winamp and it will work with "Show current
music track"

Enjoy!
fvaresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 14:52   #14
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

that makes no sense. thats just basically uninstalling and reinstalling without doing any changes to the original settings.

only the plugin developer can fix this problem.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 11:03   #15
yourskrishna

I think winamp 5.5 is the problem because it is not working even with the microsoft live messenger, (but live messenger didn't crash)
yourskrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 12:59   #16
Sawg
Forum King

Winamp has never worked with Windows Live. If Windows Live works with Winamp, then that's their problem.

Old 29th November 2007, 14:48   #17
ffejeroni

Any updated thoughts about this? I'm still locking up when the two apps are running together trying to show track info. Sad to say, but I'd probably uninstall WinAmp before I uninstalled GTalk. What is so different about how the track info is displayed from even the version before 5.5 (it worked then, what was it, just version 5 or something)? Of course no one is asking you to fix GTalk, GTalk isn't really broke, the way WinAmp is relaying track info is obviously conflicting (might I add the only program that does conflict with GTalk currently) with the satus plugin. I will search for a solution to keep both programs, but honestly, if I can't remedy this, there's no point to keep WinAmp. It's a shame, the least the developers could do is take a peep at the code from 5.5 and the code from a previous version and try to at least eyeball what is different rather than taking the offensive and denying you have anything to do with it. Shouldn't it be the point that your application doesn't conflict with any other programs? Is it truly something we should be bitching at Google about as it works totally fine with the 6 other applications I've tested? How about a little help here instead of resistance? If I knew the code, I'd look for myself, but as someone who has donated money multiple times to WinAmp for a primarily wonderful product, I find this attitude to be pretty weak in contrast. Hopefully this is something that can be resolved, otherwise I'll have to use another application.
Old 17th December 2007, 19:32   #18
berras

I found this on Gtalk Groups and it worked for me (WinXP + SP2):
"Try to create an empty file called winamp.m3u in your winamp install dir... " (thanks, Bari).
berras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 20:08   #19
ffejeroni

Quote:
Originally posted by berras
"Try to create an empty file called winamp.m3u in your winamp install dir... " (thanks, Bari).
Will give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the tip!
Old 20th December 2007, 10:51   #20
fullfilth

Send a message via Yahoo to fullfilth
This issue happen only if you install fresh new winamp, if you just update from old version (overwrite existing winamp) this problem will not occur.

Since Gtalk have not update their client for quite sometime, I think the best way to solve this problem is to install old version winamp (can be download at filehippo.com). Can try with 5.35. Afterthat install latest version 5.50.

It's working for me. Can add me fullfilth[at]gmail.com to your Gtalk.
fullfilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 11:11   #21
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by fullfilth
This issue happen only if you install fresh new winamp, if you just update from old version (overwrite existing winamp) this problem will not occur.

Since Gtalk have not update their client for quite sometime, I think the best way to solve this problem is to install old version winamp (can be download at filehippo.com). Can try with 5.35. Afterthat install latest version 5.50.

It's working for me. Can add me fullfilth[at]gmail.com to your Gtalk.
@fullfilth...

You must not have read any of the previous replies in this thread. Because if you had, you would have seen that what you are suggesting was already suggested a little further up in this thread by fvaresi...
Quote:
Originally posted by fvaresi
Couldn't fix it, but here's a workaround for having winamp 5.5 and
googletalk working together:

- Uninstall winamp 5.5
- Install a previous version of winamp (i installed 3.x from
winampheaven)
- After installing winamp, you'll see a pop up requesting an upgrade
to 5.5. Accept it and it will take you to winamp 5.5 download page.
- Download and install winamp and it will work with "Show current
music track"

Enjoy!
But, as Sawg said above...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
GTalk was using some hackish way to get the information, it need to be updated to do it properly. They are the ones who wrote the track detection code, only they can fix it.
And, as Rocker also said above...
Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
only the plugin developer can fix this problem.
So... bitch to the GTalk devs, and point them to this thread if need be. That way they can see it's an ongoing issue and maybe they'll rewrite their "hackish" track detection code to work properly, and work with the most current version of Winamp.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 15:49   #22
MustachePete

This worked for me

"Try to create an empty file called winamp.m3u in your winamp install directory."
MustachePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:58   #23
Shadar

Winamp 5.5 no longer provides the option to have individual profiles versus a unified profile for the computer, instead, defaulting to use profiles. This may be why the winamp.m3u file does not get created in the program directory.

As others have stated above, this is NOT a Winamp issue and will most likely be fixed in a future release of GTalk. For now, just create the empty .m3u text file in the program directory as stated above and everything works fine.
Shadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:25   #24
ffejeroni

Creating a blank m3u file did work, mostly. Thanks.

I am playing directly from my iPod through WinAmp and the track info seems to be duplicating. Can anyone confirm this? Same happens with local media. Problem seems to occur when scrobbling to last.fm as well.
Old 5th January 2008, 15:00   #25
DrO

the GTalk issue is just a sign of poor programming and not properly consulting the information in the development forum.

this issue appeared with the winamp api emulator for foobar2000 some time back since force writing the playlist and scanning for it on a fixed filepath frequently is bad and as seen will cause high cpu usage especially if no valid playlist is present.

the use of IPC_GETPLAYLISTFILE(W)/IPC_GETPLAYLISTTITLE(W) or whatever it is that they're trying to get the string off can be done using the 'winampmagic' code which allows interprocess acquisition of strings (not normally allowed). that will speed things up immensely and also cuts out a load of processing on their end which is a win-win situation for all (assuming they are parsing winamp.m3u after working out the track index of the current track)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 12:25   #26
garfield87

Create an empty file by the name "winamp.m3u" in the winamp directory.... works perfectly for me. Solved the problem.... though i don't know how!
garfield87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 20:47   #27
milkrock

Google Offered Solution

Google is offering the same solution you just mentioned of creating an empty m3u file to resolve the issue. Below is a link to their solution:

http://www.google.com/support/talk/b...47&topic=12214

In vista this command won't work from the run dialog, so you can either create the empty m3u file yourself and move it to the base winamp directory, or you can open a command prompt with administrator privileges and then run

type nul:>>"c:\progra~2\winamp\winamp.m3u"

(you may need to replace the base dir with wherever you actually put winamp, progra~2 is default for x64 windows and progra~1 is default for 32bit)
milkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 20:52   #28
DrO

still makes no sense why they'd need to do anything with winamp.m3u (especially as it's a deprecated file as far as winamp itself is concerned and is only there now for legacy non-unicode support).

if only what i had suggested in my previous post was passed on... *shrugs*

-daz
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:56   #29
afterburner

Quote:
Originally posted by berras
Cool works on 64bit Vista

I saved my playlist as winamp.m3u and dumped it in winamps install directory.

Thanks!
afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 05:47   #30
yogihit

thanks a lot .. its work on XPP SP3 32 bit
yogihit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 04:54   #31
yogihit

is this fixed on newer version?
yogihit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 20:01   #32
DrO

no one has reported it for a long time and the issue is still present then it is on GTalk's side as they're not querying Winamp in the correct manner for what they need to do - which has been explained a few times in other threads about this non-Winamp issue.

-daz
Old 7th February 2011, 13:00   #33
afterburner

Just to let you know google hasn't released an update to google talk application for about 5 or so years so odds are they are not gonna fix it.
afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 13:16   #34
DrO

that probably explains why there's not been any reports for about a year or so then. thanks for the info.

-daz
Old 10th February 2011, 15:52   #35
mernul

Find a solution

I had this issue too... I found this solution, works for me:
  • Navigate to Winamp Installation Directory.
  • By Default It is located in C:\Program Files\Winamp.
  • Create a new file with notepad and save it as “winamp.m3u”.
  • And then play songs with winamp and start your Gtalk .
  • Set Status as “Show Current Music Track”.
  • You are Done !.

http://devilsworkshop.org/issue-abou...winamp-solved/
mernul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 14:26   #36
senjacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by berras View Post
Thanks man
senjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support