Old 26th October 2007, 20:51   #1
sy64

a different volume problem

I've just spent about 2 hours searching for this problem and come up with nothing so decided to sign up to try and get help.

I have Winamp 5.5 installed and the volume keeps going louder and then drops to normal as though some one was playing with the volume control on my speakers. It has been happening for a week or so and through a process of elimination I've managed to narrow it down to Winamp.

It might not happen for an hour and when it does it seems to be at random intervals.

I'm running windows Vista home premium and my sound card is a creative X-fi Xtreme music.

I have gone into the direct sound config and made sure my specific device is selected and done most of the other solutions for problems to do with volume that I've come across on the board. when i installed winamp i unticked the wave output so directsound is the only one in output.

Can anyone help me out with this frustrating problem? i really don't want to go back to using WMP!!!

Solution
sy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 21:36   #2
TheUniqueTiger

More details please...
What types of files are you playing in Winamp? If it happens on particular files, then it may be a problem with those files. Does WMP also sound the same or does it have a consistent volume?

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 21:39   #3
sy64

I'm playing MP3 files and WMP plays them without fault
Old 29th October 2007, 02:13   #4
ChucksterDork

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=279570

I posted with the same exact problem, and no has been able to give me a definitive answer yet.

To note, this was happening to me before Winamp 5.5, and I have a Creative sound card as well.
ChucksterDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:45   #5
sy64

Hey chuckster, this has only started happening to me in the past week or 2. I thought it might have been something to do with me installing a TV tuner card but I've taken it out and it still does it. I reformatted my hard drive and didn't install any other codec packs (usually use ffdshow). I've also tried various settings in directsound.

I finally managed to narrow it down to winamp seeing as it doesn't happen in any other apps. WMP works fine but I don't want to go back to using that now that I have all my smart views set up. I reinstalled Wimnamp and disabled a load of unneeded plugins and the same happens. At the moment it isn't too bad but then it happens randomly so there's no knowing how long that will last!!

Are you using Vista? I'm going to install ALchemy and see if that does anything. I'm also poking around the internet to see if there's anything at all.

If I find anything I'll post it here.

Sy
Old 29th October 2007, 13:00   #6
ChucksterDork

Windows XP, actually. I have isolated it to Winamp as well -- when I played it in my Creative MediaSource Player, I encountered no such problems.
Old 29th October 2007, 22:07   #7
sy64

so that rules out soundcard and operating system as well.

I think it may be time to report a bug. I've been searching the net all afternoon and had no luck.
Old 30th October 2007, 03:48   #8
ChucksterDork

It just happened now as I was reading the thread.

I was hoping one of the mods could supply an answer. I don't think we're the only two with this problem.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:25   #9
sy64

Hey chuckster, does it happen just the once for you? when it does it on mine it might not do it for a few hours but when it does it will happen a few times. Sometimes it is worse than others and it gets to the point where it's best just to close winamp.

Not sure if the mods will be of any help [Reverse psychology sometimes works ], but I'm sure we aren't the only two.

I posted a bug report
here but because it is next to impossible to reproduce this problem I'm not holding up a lot of hope. I provided as much info as I could, maybe a good idea if you added your full system spec and other info to the thread as well?
Old 30th October 2007, 13:28   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Using ALchemy worked for this guy:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....68#post2251268
Quote:
on a whim I tried using the Alchemy thing which for those unfamiliar remaps directsound calls to OpenAL so those of us on Vista get hardware sound again. Enabling this fixed my sound, and looking at the Winamp Direct Sound output plugin status Winamp thinks it's using hardware acceleration
But yeah, that's for Vista. I've never heard of it happening under WinXP.
Though it's probably a rare occurence on Vista too.
Sounds like bad drivers or something to me...

Can we see a List Of Plugins?

Have you tried a clean install of 5.5?

You could maybe also try the ASIO Output plugin.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 14:29   #11
sy64

ok so I installed ALchemy and I'm giving that a try, so far so good but we'll see how it goes for the rest of the day.

Hey DJ Egg just out of curiosity is replay gain a good or a bad thing to have selected?

Chuckster have you got the latest drivers installed for all of your devices?
Old 30th October 2007, 17:20   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

ReplayGain is probably only good to have checked if all your files have RG values applied. Otherwise, it'll just apply whatever value you've got set for files without RG.
Old 31st October 2007, 23:08   #13
sy64

This is getting really annoying now!!! got ALchemy installed and it has just done it again several times. It has got to the point where I'm seriously considering dumping winamp or at least 5.5.

I don't remember it doing this on previous versions, unfortunately I deleted all other versions, is there anywhere I can download older versions from? it's got to be worth a try. I reported it in the bug section but I'm not holding up much hope for a solution seeing as it is next to impossible to reproduce the problem.

[Edit: I downloaded a previous version so will install that tomorrow and see how that goes on]

Last edited by sy64; 31st October 2007 at 23:38.
Old 1st November 2007, 02:45   #14
ChucksterDork

Yeah, I have XP, so I don't know how much it will help.
Old 1st November 2007, 04:43   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

^edited original reply^
Old 1st November 2007, 10:51   #16
sy64

Hey DJ Egg, attached is my plugin list. I did a total reformat abut 3 days ago so it is a fresh install of winamp that is playing up.

I went to the ASIO site but it's in a different language, care to elaborate on what it is/ does?
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list_ext.txt (1.9 KB, 316 views)
Old 1st November 2007, 12:33   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The link leads directly to the download.

Install the plugin then open Winamp and set out_Asio as the active Output plugin in:
Winamp > Prefs > Plugins > Output.

This plugin uses Creative/Steinberg ASIO drivers to process the sound instead of the DirectSound method.

ps. Although the plugin list looks ok, I would prefer to see an internal One For Nunz list rather than an external one (see instructions again).

Have you tried using the Creative Software Auto Updater in Internet Explorer?
http://www.creative.com/support/ > Software AutoUpdate
Old 1st November 2007, 14:41   #18
sy64

Hey DJ Egg, I downloaded the ASIO file before but how do i install it?

I tried one for the nunz from the plugin list but there was no file created, that's why I used the nunz.exe method I thought it may be the uac kicking in so I opened winamp.exe in administrator mode but still no joy.

Also the creative autoupdate isn't compatible with vista, but then again this is Creative so the likelihood of updates are pretty slim anyway!!
Old 1st November 2007, 14:49   #19
sy64

I suppose if I looked in the right place I might find the nunz file generated from the plugin list!!!! oops

here it is attached!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (3.6 KB, 254 views)
Old 1st November 2007, 15:32   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Is there any reason why there's a dsound.dll in your root Winamp folder?

Is that maybe some older version of Microsoft DirectX dsound.dll?

Note that DLL's in the program folder take precedence over ones in the %system% dir, ie. Winamp will be using that version of dsound.dll instead of the system version.

Re: ASIO plugin
I changed the link from the DLL in a 7Zip archive (.7z) to the EXE installer, so just download and run the EXE to install it.

As for Creative Auto Updater not being compatible with Vista...
well, nothing surprises me, with either of Creative and Vista.

Maybe you installed the wrong drivers or something?
Make sure that you install the exact & latest drivers for your exact X-Fi model.
Old 1st November 2007, 15:52   #21
sy64

No idea what dsound is, i presume I can just delete it from the plugin folder and reopen winamp?

To install the ASIO plugin do I move all the folders into the plugin folder and then run the exe file? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to plugins, etc. previously I've installed and configured the options and been good to go.
Old 1st November 2007, 20:26   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

To install the ASIO Output plugin, download the EXE installer & run it
(make sure Winamp is closed first).

The dsound.dll file is in the root Winamp folder, not in the Winamp\Plugins folder.
Yes, just delete it (or move it to some backup folder out of the Winamp folder).

dsound.dll is not installed by Winamp, and could be an act of sabotage by some other program installer, or even malware.
Old 1st November 2007, 20:54   #23
sy64

ok there's no exe file in the root of the compressed file but after searching through the folders I've found one in the bin\normal folder. I ran it after decompressing the whole lot and it hasn't installed anything, do i need to move the folders to the winamp plugin folder first?

The only thing i can think of that would put dsound into the winamp folder would be ffdshow, which I installed the other day. When I set it up I deselected the mp3 encode/decode installation selection so it shouldn't have any effect on the way winamp handles mp3s
Old 1st November 2007, 22:45   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Oh right... yeah, even the out_asio exe is in a 7Zip installer.
That's a bit confusing.

Yeah, extract either of the \bin\Normal\out_asio.dll or \bin\SSE2\out_asio.dll (you can rename it and remove the (exe) part of the filename, if you want) and place it in the Winamp\Plugins folder, or extract either of the out_asio(exe).exe files and double click it to run it.

All the other files in the 7zip archive aren't required.

If your cpu doesn't support SSE2, then use the Normal version.

Then open Winamp, and go to:
Prefs > Plugins > Output
and select (highlight) out_asio to make it the active Output plugin.

Re: dsound.dll

Have you removed it from the Winamp folder yet?
Old 1st November 2007, 23:01   #25
sy64

right mate got the ASIO plugin installed and highlighted in the output plugin section still early to tell if it has done anything so will see how it goes tomorrow. i presume the default settings are ok?

I got rid of the dsound.dll file, not sure what put it there but wil lsee if I can find out if it was ffdshow.

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated. will let you know how it goes tomorrow. 2am here now
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:13   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I'm pretty certain it's not ffdshow which puts dsound.dll in the Winamp folder.

I've been installing ffdshow for a few years now, and always keep it up-to-date.

I doubt if there'll be a 2mb+ dsound.dll in the ffdshow installer.
The size of the official MS DX9 dsound.dll in the Windows\System32 dir is only 359kb...

Yeah, anyway, let us know how it goes.
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:01   #27
sy64

Right mate ASIO hasn't changed anything. I'm going to try uninstalling 5.5 and go back to 5.35. I can't be 100% certain but I seem to remember the problem starting after I installed 5.5, either way I definitely know I didn't have this problem with 5.35 or any other earlier versions

Also I remembered where that dsound.dll came from. when I installed ALchemy I was looking around the Creative forums and one of the suggestions was to move a copy of the dosound.dll from the Alchemy folder into the winamp folder. After looking at the plugin log it appears that it wasn't even loaded so of no use in the winamp root folder.

Will keep you posted.
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:11   #28
sy64

ok mate I think I'm on to something. As I was going through the 5.35 installation set up I went through the list of components to install and i remembered I used to get it down to about 15 meg and one of the things I unchecked was the other output plugins (directsound). I'm going to disable the out_ds.dll and see if that makes a difference.

[edit that didn't work in 5.5]
Old 2nd November 2007, 14:03   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Dang. Sorry, but you've got me beat.

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

Maybe it's time we made an OpenAL Output plugin for Vista...
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:46   #30
sy64

An openAL plugin sounds like a good idea, at the moment I've got 5.5 installed and listening through wave_out, it's ok but not sure for how long. Will keep my eyes out for the openAL plugin in the meantime if you think of any thing or have ny ideas can you give me a shout?

Cheers
Old 2nd November 2007, 17:16   #31
ruthvenmoon

Just to note that another user has experienced this. It was very shortly after I installed 5.5 this morning. My volume went up and I kinda freaked, thought was leaning on my keyboard or too sleep deprived to function.
ruthvenmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:50   #32
sy64

I don't f***ing believe it back to square f****ing one!!! I thought I'd give wmp a go for a wile seeing as it was getting really bad and it has only gone and happened on that as well!!!

It would appear that it is a system problem, not just a winamp problem. I've been on the creative forums (Which is a horrendous place to go BTW) and found a lot of posts with no solutions. What has really got me annoyed is that it has only just started happening to me even though I have had this system for a year and have reinstalled XP and Vista several times, each time installing the same software and doing the same tweaks as I always have done with no previous problems, so why now?

as anyone got any ideas? has anyone solved this problem?
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:06   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Maybe try uninstalling the Creative X-Fi drivers then reinstall the drivers from the original CD (assuming there's Vista drivers on it).
Old 3rd November 2007, 14:35   #34
sy64

The CD doesn't have vista drivers. I just downloaded a set of drivers from the creative website with the same version number as the ones I have installed (The latest available) but they have a newer release date so will try those. I've also had a look at all my wiring to make sure that the speakers wires are no where near the power supply/ cables, etc. unfortunately my set up doesn't allow them to be as far away as I would like but they should be fine.
Old 3rd November 2007, 15:20   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Are you using one of those wired volume control things for your speakers, with the volume & bass knobs on?

I remember having some Creative speakers a while back where the volume control knob/wheel thing was faulty, and the volume level kept fluctuating when it was set on a low volume. I had to keep fiddling with the control to correct it.

I ended up binning them and getting some new speakers.
Old 3rd November 2007, 16:47   #36
sy64

They are an oldish set of Creative soundworks 4.1s with a wired volume control.

Funily enought I came across a few of those problems on the Creative forum, they all seemed to be with Audigy 2 soundcards and Creative Inspire speakers. Maybe it's time to get some new speakers? Any recommendations?
Old 8th November 2007, 22:26   #37
sy64

Woohoooooooo!!!! new drivers released by Creative and they are Blinding. Not had a problem since installing them, for anyone looking for a solution give these drivers a go Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Vista Driver 2.15.0004

The only downside is I can't justify the new speakers now
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:07   #38
zellywelly

This is probably a pointless reply but I too have this volume problem and refused to believe that I had to download plug-ins and other such additions just to fix it I mean it was FINE before right? So there should be a way to fix this without the dowloads....and there is.

I felt really dumb after a while because it is rather simple. This step may be unecessary but I'd do it just in case you skip this step, do the other and it doesn't work.

CLOSE WINAMP FIRST
1. Go to your control panel
2. Click on sounds, speech, audio devices.
3. Keep clicking the audio links until you get the small pop up window with all the sound tabs in it.
4. In every tab, if there is a "default" option, just restore everything back to the original settings that way.
5. Go to your volume tab and set the volume where you want it to be, apply changes and close window.

Steps you can try with or without the first set....this is what will get everything to work.

1. Open Winamp
2. Click on the speaker icon to open volume settings. (for observational purposes only, dont adjust anything even if the wav volume looks low)
3. Play a song to test the volume
4. Adjust the volume in WINAMP to how you want it and skip to the next song.
5. The volume should now not go lower and stay how you adjusted it

I think the main issue here is people only focusing on the volume in their task bar and not matching winamp to it too.

In any case that is what worked for me and I have had no problems since.
zellywelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support