Old 9th April 2008, 10:06   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

I'm tired of the way "saving the environment" is executed..

Wal-Mart has some $5 shirts now, they say "These shirts are used making cotton from ..places.. that are transitioning to environment friendly BLAH BLAH BLAH"

OK.

First off, SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT SHOULD NOT BE A MARKETING STRATEGY. IT SHOULDN'T BE A SALES TACTIC. IT SHOULDN'T BE A TOOL TO MAKE A PROFIT.

Second off, what do they even mean by the cotton is from places transitioning to environmentally friendly whatever? Doesn't this sort of mean that they're still .. not.. environmentally friendly?

I should have taken a picture to remember the exact words, but that's the jist of it.

That is all.

btw: I found it funny that one of the shirts said "Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!". I'd rather humans quit being drunken fools and the ice caps melt and kill us all than have a bunch of drunk retards running around in our cool 70 degree green grass animal friendly 90mpg new environment.

In other news, I have been gone so long that I forgot all about the existence of the bitchlist.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 10:14   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Fuck the enviroment, I'll be long dead before it's so bad the world starts to melt, let my kids kids kids worry about it
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 13:55   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Fuck the enviroment, I'll be long dead before it's so bad the world starts to melt, let my kids kids kids worry about it
Agreed.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 14:11   #4
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I'm not quite at the 'fuck the environment' level, but I do agree that environmentalists are getting a little out of hand. It's as if they want us to live without using any natural resources at all.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 15:01   #5
protegechris
Forum Queen

Most of these companies aren't interested in saving the environment as much as gaining customers that THINK they're helping to save it, in order to turn a profit.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 17:36   #6
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Quite frankly, I'm sick of this "going green" BS. Who cares what kind of light bulbs you're using. It's just one big marketing scam.
beanboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 20:16   #7
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by beanboy89
Quite frankly, I'm sick of this "going green" BS. Who cares what kind of light bulbs you're using. It's just one big marketing scam.
I've saved enough money on my electricity bill by using CFLs to make it worth it.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 21:54   #8
Schmeet
Major Dude

Re: I'm tired of the way "saving the environment" is executed..

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris

First off, SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT SHOULD NOT BE A MARKETING STRATEGY. IT SHOULDN'T BE A SALES TACTIC. IT SHOULDN'T BE A TOOL TO MAKE A PROFIT.
Making a profit as an incentive to do something is a great idea. The most persuasive argument is one that will save consumers money, if you can then make the idea fashionable you're quids in.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 01:24   #9
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Come to think of a beer company that saves the planet...

http://www.gcbl.org/economy/sustaina...-lakes-brewing

This place was only about a 45 minute drive north of the last place I lived. Good food, good beer, good for the earth, good for my appetite & thirst.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 02:44   #10
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
I've saved enough money on my electricity bill by using CFLs to make it worth it.
Hope you've got a HAZMAT suit if you break one of those things, unless you're a fan of heavy metal...

Actually, I see nothing wrong with CFL bulbs...I do however think it's wrong that Congress is mandating the use of florescents by banning the sale of incandescents (Or at least that's what I think is going to happen within the next half-decade or so, unless I heard wrong from somewhere)...It's a bunch of bullshit, because it's a limit on the avaliability what consumers can buy...Sure, some people might be able to save some money with CFL bulbs, but other people can't even afford to put a CFL bulb in their budget in the first place...

It's almost like the mandated CAFE standards on cars in America, although the effect is the opposite but same...Even if you have money flowing out the ass, your choice of car purchases will become limited to putt-putt golf carts that make 100mpg but are slow as a sloth and aren't fun to drive...

So much for freedom...And all this based on 30 years of inconclusive and instantaneous data? Pshh; If you wanna feel good about "saving the environment", do it yourself; Quit trying to use the gov't to shove that crap on us either...

There should really be a fine line drawn in the practicality of all this...If you really want to save the environment, you'd put some gloves on and go help pick up some trash at your local waterfront or public park or recycle all your paper and aluminum, because that does a lot more for the environment than buying reusable grocery bags or buying a Prius will ever do...And if you buy a hybrid, at least make up the excuse that you're doing it to save money, since even hybrids still burn fossil fuels...

I guess you can consider me one of those traditionalist "clean air, clean water" type of people, rather than those radical "buy carbon offsets or our whole world will be a burnin' ball of fire"...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 01:05   #11
Vil

I vote we start using trains more. Years ago (when my grandfather was my age), you could ride a train from this town to the nearest city in the morning, shop all day and ride a train back home in the evening. Now, there are no trains or buses here. You have to drive, and since it is one hour by car one way to the nearest city, its really just a big waste. Also, I love trains.

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 04:18   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
In undergrad I spent a huge amount of time and effort writing a very long and heavily researched paper on that very subject.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions