Old 18th May 2008, 10:47   #1
dlichterman
Forum King

I want a motorcycle?

So gas is just RAPING me in the ass with my V6...

I drive alone to school/work, and its just killing me and I have always heard that motorcycles get great gas mileage. So I went to look them up, and a starter bike such as a Ninja 250 can get 60-70MPG!

Anyone got any suggestions? I think I shall go see if my friend who rides will let me mess around in a school parking lot down the street to see if I even like it. Would help make my commute more fun at least!

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 11:06   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Unless it's raining, or you get cut off by car drivers, or have to carry something.

Apart from that motorbikes are fun, and more economical, even if you factor in protective clothing (and perhaps higher insurance, no idea what it's like in the US). But a small car would probably be more practical, not to mention a lot safer.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 15:37   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I know a guy that works in the FDNY rescue company. He says that motorcycle helmets are just to keep the person's brain from making a huge mess on the street when you crash.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 15:47   #4
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
I'm thinking of buying a Honda Ruckus. Great gas millage, ~2300 US$, and it looks tough.

I found a forum that I've started asking some questions on.
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewto...=231799#231799
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 18:04   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

ooo ooo get one of these!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 18:21   #6
dlichterman
Forum King

Well I was looking to get something cheap lol but those Ducati sure look awesome.

Gaekwad: Socal....so weather is not an issue. I would probably not ride if it rains.

I would also be taking a safety course, and looking at stuff online the stats show that 92% of accidents occur with people who havn't had the safety class. not only for safety but also because it cuts your insurance down.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
Old 18th May 2008, 18:46   #7
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
Insurance on motorcycles is ridiculously cheap. I pay maybe $200 per year for full coverage on my bike.

As for mileage, well that largely depends on the bike. My 1100cc Yamaha gets ~40mpg under normal conditions. A 250cc sport bike may very well get upwards of 60mpg. A 250cc bike is not a very good idea if you do a lot of highway riding, though. They start running out of steam at speeds over 60. \

Also, remember that you're exposed to the elements and to traffic. Rain is annoying. You can't carry much with you. And if you hit something, well, you're gonna get fucked up. I still have scars from when I hit a deer on my bike. You also have no problem with shifting gears, right? With few exceptions, motorcycles all have sequential manual transmissions and you must know how to use a clutch.

In summation, it's a great idea, just make sure you know what you're getting into before you take the plunge. And if you're going to do a lot of highway riding, look at a bike that's a bit bigger than 250.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 20:48   #8
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
I don't own a motorcycle, but I don't really see payload as much of an issue...Even though I have a car, practically, I rarely ever need anything more than 5lbs worth of stuff with me on a daily commute...Short of maybe $100 worth of groceries or that 47" LCD TV, I think there's nothing that a bigass military pack can't cover for your daily use, and you'll even have room to carry an emergency medical kit for when some dumbass almost runs you over...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 22:53   #9
Vil

Why not just use mass transit/bicycle/carpool?

present day present time
Vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 23:03   #10
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly

Motorbike engine and road legal (in the UK at least).

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 00:19   #11
dlichterman
Forum King

Well I'm hoping to take the train next semester for school, but all the internships are about a 40-50 minute drive away, so that would be what I would need it for.

Old 19th May 2008, 02:04   #12
General Geoff
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
Why not just use mass transit/bicycle/carpool?
If those were viable options in the states, don't you think most people would be using them now? Bicycle is certainly an option for those who live within ten miles of their destination. Mass transit is practically nonexistent outside of major cities. Carpools may as well not exist either, unless you happen to live with people who go to the same job or school as you, and have the same shifts/classes.

I have to drive about 50 miles to work, and 50 miles back home, every day. If I could take a train, I would. But there are no commuter or even passenger trains that go where I want to go, and there isn't even a train station less than an hour away. And I live in a major metropolitan area. If I rode a bicycle, it would take me four to five hours to get to work, and another four to five to get home. As for car pooling, nobody I know goes to the town where I work, except for a couple people I know who come from the opposite direction.

Old 19th May 2008, 02:27   #13
sgtfuzzbubble011

...or if you're not quite that crazy:

sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 02:34   #14
General Geoff
Major Dude

I'd much prefer a Yamaha V-max.

Old 19th May 2008, 02:46   #15
sgtfuzzbubble011

Needs more fuel injection...

But other than that, it's quite nice.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 02:49   #16
General Geoff
Major Dude

Nothing wrong with a carburetor. I've had no problems with the carburetor on my Virago.

Old 19th May 2008, 02:49   #17
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
If those were viable options in the states, don't you think most people would be using them now? Bicycle is certainly an option for those who live within ten miles of their destination. Mass transit is practically nonexistent outside of major cities. Carpools may as well not exist either, unless you happen to live with people who go to the same job or school as you, and have the same shifts/classes.

I have to drive about 50 miles to work, and 50 miles back home, every day. If I could take a train, I would. But there are no commuter or even passenger trains that go where I want to go, and there isn't even a train station less than an hour away. And I live in a major metropolitan area. If I rode a bicycle, it would take me four to five hours to get to work, and another four to five to get home. As for car pooling, nobody I know goes to the town where I work, except for a couple people I know who come from the opposite direction.
He said he was in SoCal, and from what I understand the mass transit there at least exists to some degree. Where I live there is none, like yourself.

present day present time
Old 19th May 2008, 03:24   #18
dlichterman
Forum King

Well the transit in "the burbs" isn't too great. The transit to school is alright but not for when I want to get an internship or work or whatnot.

Old 19th May 2008, 03:27   #19
General Geoff
Major Dude

You're in Southern California. It never rains and it's never cold. GET A FREAKING BIKE ALREADY.

Old 19th May 2008, 03:51   #20
dlichterman
Forum King

Yeah theres the whole money issue......

I am actually thinking maybe getting an "auto loan" since that would help my credit. However, I need a steady job before I jump into a loan. I do have the money right now just I am hoping to save it up.

Old 19th May 2008, 04:01   #21
General Geoff
Major Dude

how many miles do you drive per day, and what kind of mileage does your car get? Compare that to if you rode a motorcycle that gets, say, 50mpg. Then add up the amount fuel you WON'T be burning, and you'll probably figure out that the motorcycle will pay for itself within a year or two.

Old 19th May 2008, 04:07   #22
dlichterman
Forum King

Yeah well, right now I drive about 30 miles round trip to school. Next semester I hope to take the train 2 days and drive one day. I get about 18-20MPG. But, I just started dating this girl about 30 miles away. So yeah, not much right now, it all depends on what job I have in the fall. This summer I'm hoping to get a job and get a couple thousand dollars so we will see.

Edit:
Forgot about another thing.....right now my parents pay my insurance on my car which is about 500 a year. Whats motorcycle insurance for a 21 year old gonna be? No accidents/tickets (knock on wood).

Old 19th May 2008, 04:30   #23
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by General Geoff
You're in Southern California. It never rains and it's never cold. GET A FREAKING BIKE ALREADY.
He says his internship is a 40-50 minute drive away, 30 miles accounts for a round trip to school, and he's got a girlfriend that lives 30 miles away...Unless riding bike was as easy as repeatedly pressing X like in GTA:SA, a bike doesn't sound very practical with a commute like that...

[img]http://www.female-************-photos.com/4images/data/media/8/2412.jpg[/img]

Besides, you would need legs like that to accomplish such a long bike ride, and a face like that to keep your sanity in check...

[edit]Nevermind...I'm tired; Misinterpreted bike for bicycle, not motorbike...

My point still stands, and that picture is just disturbing... [/edit]

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 19th May 2008, 04:46   #24
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Why bother wearing a bra? That's just a guy without a dick.

Fucking gross.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 04:49   #25
dlichterman
Forum King

Hey now, don't jinx me man......only the second date come tuesday!

The other thing is doing it for my credit.....if I build some credit now it would help me in the long run.

edit: Wow....39 dollars for the insurance a month if I have my own plan!

Last edited by dlichterman; 19th May 2008 at 06:45.
Old 19th May 2008, 07:54   #26
TheElusiveMelon

Pretty sure my car does about 50mpg. Sure, its kinda slow and crap. but atleast it keeps the fuel bill down.
TheElusiveMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:00   #27
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
$200 a barrel is not far off and its just the beginning. Buying something more efficient is a good start but you might want to consider a home closer to work or a job closer to where you live. If we dont start working towards numerous alternatives to help prop up the upcoming energy shortage an expensive commute will be the least of our worries.

Refrences;
Bush Quote; you're running out of oil
Robert Newmans History of oil
BBC peak oil
Peak Oil Wiki

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 18:16   #28
PaperClip

Send a message via Yahoo to PaperClip
My only concern with this bike option is that you are going to be a new rider, right? Should you really be on the road for 90 minutes a day (roundtrip) if you aren't fully experienced yet? For your own safety, I mean. I think a bike is logical when you have a back up car, but it's just not very practical for every day life.

However, every man I know wants one too, so feel free to live the dream!
PaperClip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 18:48   #29
dlichterman
Forum King

Well I dont have the internship yet. I would be learning how to ride over summer. Also, I'd probably stick to the surface streets until I really feel comfortable.

edit: On the option of moving closer, I'd have to get my parents to help me with rent since right now I'm living at home.

Old 19th May 2008, 19:03   #30
General Geoff
Major Dude

Quote:
My only concern with this bike option is that you are going to be a new rider, right? Should you really be on the road for 90 minutes a day (roundtrip) if you aren't fully experienced yet?
Only one way to gain experience, and that's riding.

Old 19th May 2008, 21:26   #31
dlichterman
Forum King

03 Ninja 250 for 1200......Called the owner....

Hope this works out, its a great deal. My friend will test ride it for me.

Old 20th May 2008, 03:46   #32
dlichterman
Forum King

Ok so he called back. Should I be worried about an exhaust pipe leak which he says fixes itself when the bike heats up or the right front strut which is leaking a little. Are those pretty simple things to replace?? He said maybe 200-300 in parts, and I have a friend who knows his shit with bikes who can help me.

Edit: Found another one.....called and left VM.

Last edited by dlichterman; 20th May 2008 at 04:33.
Old 20th May 2008, 06:35   #33
Vil

I want a Vespa. A bright yellow one. Fuck yeah.

present day present time
Old 20th May 2008, 07:38   #34
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Vil
I want a Vespa. A bright yellow one. Fuck yeah.
With a sticker from The Pillows?

Old 20th May 2008, 10:48   #35
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

ooo ooo or One of these
Old 20th May 2008, 11:25   #36
Schmeet
Major Dude

I'm pretty sure they nicknamed Motorcyclists Organ donars at Hospitals.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:07   #37
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

We call 'em Tree Darts!
Old 20th May 2008, 12:21   #38
gaekwad2
Foorum King

The motorcycle license is known as organ donor card.

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
ooo ooo or One of these
If he wants to look like a middle aged lawyer or a redneck whose trailer cost less than his bike...
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 13:15   #39
LeadFoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
I'm pretty sure they nicknamed Motorcyclists Organ donars at Hospitals.
My wife called them Donorcycles during her residency rotation in the ER. She got to see quite a few people that came in from motorcycle accidents. And I tell everyone that has one to sign their organ donor's card. Seriously.
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 19:45   #40
Vil

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
With a sticker from The Pillows?
Is that not obligatory?

present day present time
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions