Old 30th October 2010, 11:52   #1
Jamil

Licensing & Sharing The Database

I recently got a new NAS that I connect to my home network. I have moved all my digital audio files to this network storage. My Winamp registration key is currently entered on my desktop computer, but I also have a laptop that also connects to my NAS. Every company's licensing works differently, so I want to check how Winamp's licensing works. I did try forum search, but I kept getting an error in IE about connection problems. Anyway, do I need to purchase a second Winamp license for my laptop, or am I able to use the same registration key that is used on my dekstop?

Secondly, is there a way I can store Winamp's database on the NAS so that both my laptop and desktop share it? Things like ratins, last played and play count statistics would then be indentical on the two machines.

Thanks.
Jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 15:10   #2
Jamil

I've done quite a bit of search, and the only Winamp plugin that actually works enabling the sharing of a media library is Wombat Share. Note, however, that Wombat Share does not do what I am looking for. It appears that Wombat Share will stream a local library on one machine to all machines on the LAN. What I want to do is store the entire library on a file server along with a single Winamp database that all computers connect to and use simultaneously.

Can Winamp, out of the box, handle this? If not, is there a plugin (that works) that enables this functionality?

Thanks.
Old 31st October 2010, 16:39   #3
Jamil

Okay -- it looks like people have been asking for Winamp to support database sharing forever.

I've found another old thread here: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=291015

Winamp still does not and cannot do this, unfortunately. Since it has been this long and it still has not been added as a feature, my assumption is that it will never happen. Too bad.

Sure -- there's tons of work arounds, but all of these work arounds aren't so great.
Old 31st October 2010, 17:46   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
you might want to check out squeezebox server. basically the server and db and music can be on one macine or NAS, and then you can have computers or hardware act as players/clients.

it definitely is not "easy" but you sound like you can handle it.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 23:36   #5
Jamil

Thanks for the suggestion.

My NAS box has some streaming media services built in too that would work similarly to a squeezebox server. The reason I am not using them is the bulk of my audio files are APE. Not much under Linux supports APE (which is the OS my NAS runs).

The only thing that I have been able to find that is the closet to meeting my needs is AjaxAMP: http://ajaxamp.com/. The downside to something like this is there would be a seperate media library and database than Winamp's own.
Old 1st November 2010, 03:00   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

the squeeze stuff runs on linux, both the server and software player. it supports ape tags, and i am fairly sure supports the ape format as well.

what type of NAS do you have?

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5

--
Old 1st November 2010, 09:33   #7
Jamil

I have a QNAP TS 809. There are addons available for slimserver for it, but I could not find support for APE. I just looked at the QNAP comunity forums, and it looks like it is not supported: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?...20a7fa0ee17d23. You have to be registered to see the post, but the last message in this thread is the following:

Quote:
APE files are processor power hungry and not supported in SB hardware...
Regardless, would files streamed through this allow all clients to update a shared Winamp database? Would this do what I am looking for? If not, wouldn't this be the same as the AjaxAMP option?
Old 1st November 2010, 15:06   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, no this would not do the winamp thing you want. you could however use winamp as clients. but what it would do, is allow you to use one server with one DB to track all your stats, playcounts, and so on, that differing software and hardware players could use.

as to APE, i'd be shocked if SBS did not support it, both the server and squeezeplay, their software player/client, BUT maybe that is the case. i would not be shocked to find out that a NAS did not support it though, since they typically are underpowered.

--
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:31   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83036

--
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:25   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

In my setup, I have all the music stored on the server. Then just keep independent Winamp databases on the two main PCs I use. Playlists can be saved on the server and shared.

The main PC used to play the music has other AV programs on as it is tied to my main Surround Sound system and pumped out through decent speakers instead of the naff PC ones. On that PC I have rigged a number of custom Media Library views as I find them quite useful for sifting my collection. (i.e. one for FLAC rips of my CD collection)

With this setup, I don't really worry that the two machines have slightly different items listed in the database. Doesn't cause me any problems, and easy to rescan now and then. The only real thing I am missing out on is the star ratings.

Another trick I do is to deny write access to the server for Winamp. I rip my music using Winamp on a separate PC. Then move the files to the server after cleaning up the MP3 tags, artwork, etc. This helps me keep a clean, organised collection that is easy to back up.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:59   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

why deny write access to the server for winamp? i like writing ratings to the files, even if it is only id3 files. if you did that, all your PCs could share the same ratings at least.

--
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:08   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

The "deny write access" is so my mates can also access my music when they visit. This way there is no accidental mistakes re: deleting files \ moving files \ infection.

If I want to update MP3 tags, I login to the server and do it from there. If I cared about ratings, I would do it that way. Ratings are not important to me as I tend to search on Artist or Album names.

When I put my music into the folders, I am pretty stubborn about cleaning up all the MP3 tags, getting the artwork, etc. This is all done via RDP on the server. (The server is a headless PC box running)
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:23   #13
Jamil

Unfortunately, this all does not help in what I am looking for. That is for Winamp to show the same contents and statistics to all clients that access a shared library.

I wonder if Foobar2000 offers support for this. I will have to look in to it.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:30   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Which stats are you most concerned about? You may be able to do a bit of fiddling and stash the database files on the server and make them the defaults for laptop and the PC. I assume you would not be playing music from both computers at the same time?

OR - you could use something like SyncToy to keep the Winamp %appdata% folders for the PC and Laptop synchronised.

Thread talking about transferring database files to a new PC.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323514

Is your laptop and PC on the same OS? If yes, it will make this even easier.
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:17   #15
Jamil

The stats I would like shared are: play count, last play date/time, and ratings. I want to add and/or remove items on one network computer to have this reflected on every computer on the network. In order to accomplish this, the music library would need to support locking. If the library was in a database (where you can begin a transaction), this would be perfect. Otherwise, I am almost positive that there will be issues with simultaneous machines accessing the same library files.

This is probably why although people have been asking for this for quite a long time, it has never been implemented. The software needs to be designed to support it. If it is using simple flat files to store this information, it most likely will not allow safe multi-user access.
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:38   #16
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Yeah, I agree with you. This is unlikely to work by design as Winamp was designed to sit on a single PC. There would be too much work to convert Winamp to a multi-user database idea.

As you are only expanding from one computer to the two computers of laptop and PC, it shouldn't be too hard to sync the relevant files. I assume you would only ever be listening to Winamp from one PC or the other?

Could you not just put a small script together that copies the relevant database and history files from the laptop to the server after you finish playing? It should not be too hard to the get PC copying to and from the same place on the server that the laptop copies to\from. (i.e. you are kind of copying the idea of using Profiles on a Domain)
Old 4th November 2010, 09:45   #17
Jamil

A script, BAT file or etc would be included in one of the not so great work-arounds I was referring to above.

It turns out there is another media player available that does fully synchronize the information in its database between the client and server. You can make changes either automatically (like play statistics) or manuallly (direct changes to content) at either the client side or server side. The data on the opposite end would get updated with these changes.

It looks like there is hope after all.
Old 7th November 2010, 13:54   #18
Jamil

You know, it turns out that people all over the world are looking for a media player that allows the sharing of its database. I'm finding more and more people asking for it for almost every media player made. Is this really that difficult to implement?

Hmm. iTunes does allow you to specify the location of its database, but I have not tested multi-user access against it. iTunes doesn't support APE though. Bummer.
Old 7th November 2010, 14:03   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil View Post
It turns out there is another media player available that does fully synchronize the information in its database between the client and server.
and it is called what?

also, what about writing ratings to tags as i suggested earlier, and lobbying them to do the same for playcounts?

--
Old 7th November 2010, 14:47   #20
Jamil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
and it is called what?

also, what about writing ratings to tags as i suggested earlier, and lobbying them to do the same for playcounts?
J. River Media Center. They didn't respond to my question in regards to this during my trial, so I uninstalled it at like day #3 of the trial.

Writing ratings to tags each time the file is played would save ratings. Yes.

This leaves play count and last played date. I actually use these two quite a bit.

I'm not convinced that lobbying will do any good, considering this is not a new request (it's actually a rather old one). I do not see it listed under the wishlist at all. Add to that that no one other than consumers have contributed to this thread leads me to believe it's not happening. This was why I was seeking a replacement media player.
Old 7th November 2010, 14:51   #21
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Hmm. iTunes does allow you to specify the location of its database, but I have not tested multi-user access against it. iTunes doesn't support APE though.
Apple is unlikely to allow the kind of sharing your require due to their DRM in the tunes bought from the store. A database can be shared across the network to other PCs from within the GUI, but they allow only "five devices" to access a shared database. This rapidly limits the RealWorld use. I have clients who are a married couple with a laptop each, an iPod each and a main PC to store the music on. Their plans to buy iPhones each now causes some confusion due to that "five device" limit.

Also note - iTunes needs to be left running on the server for its sharing system to work.

If you have ever had to use iTunes for any length of time, you will find many limitations in it. The program is biased towards being a front end for a shop. It is less good at organising your music. Even a simple thing like removing dead links is a process that needs to be done by hand - Winamp has that simple "Remove Missing Files From Media Library" option instead.

And it isn't just APE support missing from Winamp. FLAC is also missing. As well as support for strange things like Real Player. As Winamp is not tied to a store and a Brand name, it can support so many more file types either natively or via a third party add-on.

There is nothing stopping you from installing iTunes alongside Winamp to test it out. I would advise to dig into the iTunes settings and make sure you don't let it organise the files for you - otherwise it will try to copy everything into the iTunes folder hierarchy. As the iTunes store is based around selling single tracks, this means your compilation albums get split up and stored in separate artist folders. (And the even madder situation where you have an album by a single artist, but any duets on that album whizz off into separately titled folders)

(And if you are feeling really mad - you could always look at the Microsoft offerings in WMP as there is network sharing in that now. Start ratings sitting in the files as you need. Just, like Apple, they tend to limit towards their favourite music types)

Quote:
Nice idea, but needs to be very optional. Constantly editing the tracks just to update a "last played" timer will open the files up to corruption and file fragmentation. Also, if you are sitting in a house with different people sharing that database, who is going to set the star ratings when everyone has different musical tastes?

I can see how it would help you out with what you are trying to achieve. It just would not fit everyone as we all use our music collections in different ways.

(Didn't I read that you now CAN configure Winamp to add those star ratings in as you are requesting? Logically the ratings are more important to you than "last played" dates aren't they? I can't remember exactly - but sure I saw something somewhere in the past in this forum about it)

I have also seen requests to extend the embedded TAGS in many ways. Embedded Artwork (which iTunes does), Requests for Embedded lyrics, etc. I can see problems appearing here due to the different file types as not everything supports embedded data. (for example .wav files). I am no expert on this, but Winamp devs will not have control over what can be added to the specs for MP3, FLAC, etc.
Old 7th November 2010, 15:41   #22
Jamil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Apple is unlikely to allow the kind of sharing your require due to their DRM in the tunes bought from the store. A database can be shared across the network to other PCs from within the GUI, but they allow only "five devices" to access a shared database. This rapidly limits the RealWorld use. I have clients who are a married couple with a laptop each, an iPod each and a main PC to store the music on. Their plans to buy iPhones each now causes some confusion due to that "five device" limit.

Also note - iTunes needs to be left running on the server for its sharing system to work.
I used to use iTunes, since it was the most reliable and feature rich way to sync my iPod. I no longer own an iPod, so I had uninstalled it. When I had read about it offering the ability to specify a database location, I reinstalled it yesterday. It actually does offer this under preferences.

I have not tested it out, but I do not see why this would not work. My media library contains no DRM at all, and I will never make a purchase from the iTunes store. All I am telling the iTunes player to do is store its local database on a network location. If I point every client to this same location, I would think it should work in theory. The only issue would be timing with simultaneous update operations. I would need to test this out. I should not need to share my library. My library will be on a network location, and the iTunes database will also be on this network location. It will already be shared.

Quote:
If you have ever had to use iTunes for any length of time, you will find many limitations in it. The program is biased towards being a front end for a shop. It is less good at organising your music. Even a simple thing like removing dead links is a process that needs to be done by hand - Winamp has that simple "Remove Missing Files From Media Library" option instead.

And it isn't just APE support missing from Winamp. FLAC is also missing. As well as support for strange things like Real Player. As Winamp is not tied to a store and a Brand name, it can support so many more file types either natively or via a third party add-on.
I really don't have a need for support of every file type under the sun. My media library is from my own collection. I typically do not download content from the internet, and I opt for lossless instead of lossy.

With this being the case, support for one lossless format is sufficient. I could convert my APE library to anoher lossless format. However, I will only do this if my requirements are met. Right now, it appears nothing offers what I am looking for. iTunes may do the trick, but I need to test it out.

Quote:
There is nothing stopping you from installing iTunes alongside Winamp to test it out. I would advise to dig into the iTunes settings and make sure you don't let it organise the files for you - otherwise it will try to copy everything into the iTunes folder hierarchy. As the iTunes store is based around selling single tracks, this means your compilation albums get split up and stored in separate artist folders. (And the even madder situation where you have an album by a single artist, but any duets on that album whizz off into separately titled folders)
Right -- and I have already reinstalled iTunes last night. I was really curious about the iTunes server offering that my NAS supports. It's actually a disappointing feature that I do not see a need for. The same goes for any other media streaming. It's not really buying me anything.

Quote:
(And if you are feeling really mad - you could always look at the Microsoft offerings in WMP as there is network sharing in that now. Start ratings sitting in the files as you need. Just, like Apple, they tend to limit towards their favourite music types)
I actually did install the RadLightAPE directshow filter. WMP can play APE files with no problem on my laptop.

Quote:
Nice idea, but needs to be very optional. Constantly editing the tracks just to update a "last played" timer will open the files up to corruption and file fragmentation. Also, if you are sitting in a house with different people sharing that database, who is going to set the star ratings when everyone has different musical tastes?

I can see how it would help you out with what you are trying to achieve. It just would not fit everyone as we all use our music collections in different ways.

(Didn't I read that you now CAN configure Winamp to add those star ratings in as you are requesting? Logically the ratings are more important to you than "last played" dates aren't they? I can't remember exactly - but sure I saw something somewhere in the past in this forum about it)
Writing this info to tags works for some. I would prefer not to go down this path, if I can avoid it. Adding ratings to tags is not a bad thing, and my batch tagger supports ratings too. Adding other stuff to tags (like last played, play count, etc) seems to be crossing the line of unnecessary. This was actually one of my turnoffs with J.River Media Center. Without me knowing it, it added all sorts of stuff to my APE tags.

Quote:
I have also seen requests to extend the embedded TAGS in many ways. Embedded Artwork (which iTunes does), Requests for Embedded lyrics, etc. I can see problems appearing here due to the different file types as not everything supports embedded data. (for example .wav files). I am no expert on this, but Winamp devs will not have control over what can be added to the specs for MP3, FLAC, etc.
I do not prefer artwork in tags. My APE files contain no artwork at all. I keep a seperate file named Folder.jpg in the directory that contains my APE media. I will store artwork in MP3 files though for my mobile phone. I would prefer this left as an option for specific types of files.
Old 7th November 2010, 16:01   #23
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
I used to use iTunes, ... When I had read about it offering the ability to specify a database location, I reinstalled it yesterday. It actually does offer this under preferences.

I have not tested it out, but I do not see why this would not work. My media library contains no DRM at all, and I will never make a purchase from the iTunes store. All I am telling the iTunes player to do is store its local database on a network location. If I point every client to this same location, I would think it should work in theory. The only issue would be timing with simultaneous update operations. I would need to test this out. I should not need to share my library. My library will be on a network location, and the iTunes database will also be on this network location. It will already be shared.
When I was setting it up for my client, iTunes insisted I logged in to the iTunes account when turning on Sharing. This may of just been because the clients "main" PC was already logged into the account. Other than that, it was trivially easy to setup. Just slightly annoying that the bloated iTunes would need to be left running on the server. (Not that helpful for a headless box like I use)

[Ah - I just realised I am talking about iTunes built in Network Sharing options - whereas you are talking about moving the database files themselves and hoping for multiple user access from multiple iTunes programs at the same time]

Quote:
I really don't have a need for support of every file type under the sun. My media library is from my own collection. I typically do not download content from the internet, and I opt for lossless instead of lossy.

With this being the case, support for one lossless format is sufficient. I could convert my APE library to anoher lossless format. However, I will only do this if my requirements are met. Right now, it appears nothing offers what I am looking for. iTunes may do the trick, but I need to test it out.
I have no idea how good the Apple Lossless format is.

(In my case I went the FLAC route instead of APE. But I also have a number of RealMedia files from BBC radio recordings. There are plenty of tools to convert away from RM files to MP3 so this wouldn't be a show stopper)

Quote:
Right -- and I have already reinstalled iTunes last night. I was really curious about the iTunes server offering that my NAS supports. It's actually a disappointing feature that I do not see a need for. The same goes for any other media streaming. It's not really buying me anything.
iTunes is configurable to have multiple locations for its music library - just like Winamp. So it could monitor a NAS and a local PC, then share it all via its Sharing Options without the other users knowing where any of the files are.

Quote:
I actually did install the RadLightAPE directshow filter. WMP can play APE files with no problem on my laptop.
Have you tried out the WMP Network options? There are plenty of these - and have got excessively user friendly in Vista and Win7. (On by default, etc). WMP already stores the ratings as part of the MP3\WMA files. (Has this feature been picked up by RadLightAPE?)

Quote:
Writing this info to tags works for some. I would prefer not to go down this path, if I can avoid it. Adding ratings to tags is not a bad thing, and my batch tagger supports ratings too. Adding other stuff to tags (like last played, play count, etc) seems to be crossing the line of unnecessary. This was actually one of my turnoffs with J.River Media Center. Without me knowing it, it added all sorts of stuff to my APE tags.

I do not prefer artwork in tags. My APE files contain no artwork at all. I keep a seperate file named Folder.jpg in the directory that contains my APE media. I will store artwork in MP3 files though for my mobile phone. I would prefer this left as an option for specific types of files.
ARF!!! Proves my point. We all want different things to happen to our music files. I am like you - once the file is ripped, I don't want it touched by anything.
Old 7th November 2010, 17:45   #24
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
what about writing ratings to tags as i suggested earlier, and lobbying them to do the same for playcounts?
Quote:
Nice idea, but needs to be very optional.
saving ratings to the tag is already supported for id3 and is already optional, and will get even better, wider support (supposedly) in 5.59 (one would think).

Quote:
Constantly editing the tracks just to update a "last played" timer will open the files up to corruption and file fragmentation.
i have yet to have winamp corrupt any of my files due to tag edits. as to "last played" tags, i don't know if thats in the spec or not, but ratings and playcounts are, and i think winamp should support them, and of course that should be optional.

file fragmentation tho? really? who worries about that? run defrag every so often.

Quote:
Also, if you are sitting in a house with different people sharing that database, who is going to set the star ratings when everyone has different musical tastes?
whoever owns the music. the spec allows for different users to rate the same song using email addys in the frame, so thats really on winamp to implement anyway, something they should do regardless of the DB issue.

Quote:

see my sig.

Quote:
i don't believe in embedded art myself, i use it in the folder. however, embedded cuesheets in a single file rip of an album to flac or mp3 IS a good idea.

--
Old 7th November 2010, 17:57   #25
Jamil

Quote:
I have no idea how good the Apple Lossless format is.
It's lossless, so that will be good enough for me. I actually chose APE due to its high compression ratio. At the moment though, I have tons of storage space. High compression is not much of an issue now.

Secondly, I prefer APE's way of aborting when the file is corrupt as opposed to other lossless formats that attempt to correct errors. A corrupt file is a rare thing. I wish to know about it.

Quote:
Have you tried out the WMP Network options? There are plenty of these - and have got excessively user friendly in Vista and Win7. (On by default, etc). WMP already stores the ratings as part of the MP3\WMA files. (Has this feature been picked up by RadLightAPE?)
I have not tried WMP sharing at all. One reason I would not prefer this route is that my NAS does not support it natively. So, one computer would retrieve data over the network from the NAS then broadcast it to others. Another computer would have to remain powered on (in addition to my NAS), I would assume.

I can give it a try to see if the play count and date last played actually gets updated by sharing over WMP. For my NAS's iTunes server, this information is not tracked or even visible from the iTunes client.

The play count and last played comes in handy for me just for tracking what I am listening to. I would also like to be able to write scripts that can query for tracks not recently heard. I actually did this with another play list generator utility, and it really came in handy.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:16   #26
Jamil

Quote:
[Ah - I just realised I am talking about iTunes built in Network Sharing options - whereas you are talking about moving the database files themselves and hoping for multiple user access from multiple iTunes programs at the same time]
Ah ha -- iTunes can share its database on the network. I have set this up, and so far it is working with no issues.

All you have to do (if you are running Windows) is hold down your shift key before staring iTunes. You will get an option to either choose your library database or create a new one. I simply created a new library on the NAS on a share all network computers have access to. I did not even have to map a drive, since the software supports UNC names. Very cool.

After doing this, I held down shift again before starting iTunes on all client computers. I simply pointed them all to this shared database on the server.

Nice.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:42   #27
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Jamil re:itunes

Have you tried using two different PCs playing music at the same time yet? Both updating the last played info and the star ratings? Just as a final check that there is no problems with file locking.

Nice to know that Shift trick - will remember that the next time I visit the clients I mentioned above.

(And UNC paths have generally worked fine in most OS's since we got shot of Win9x systems. And even they could understand them. It is only a few lazy out of date applications that have needed to keep using them. For example, Winamp works fine via UNC in my house)
Old 8th November 2010, 16:35   #28
Jamil

Yes -- I have tried this. With two iTunes clients running on two different computers sharing the same media library and database, it will run without error. However, I see no way to manually refresh the data from the database file store. This data will be outdated if multiple users are playing the same music after the player has been started for the first time.

I played one file on my laptop that did increase the play count and last played date/time in the datastore. My desktop never showed this info, and I played this same file on my desktop. What ended up happening was the desktop's play count ended up at 1 with the current date and time. The changes made from my laptop ended up lost.

I have also observed that the laptop will refresh from the database changes that I made on the desktop. I changed the rating for one file I had not played on the desktop. Later, I noticed the laptop picked up this change. I am not sure why or how that happened though.

So, some data can be lost, but this is definately better than anything available right now. I think this is terrific, and I cannot find one other media player that allows this feature.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:25   #29
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Some words about lossless codecs.

FLAC is by far the most popular lossless codec. Winamp has native FLAC support for decoding and encoding. The bundled FLAC decoder supports all 5.5x features.

WavPack is a great and fast lossless codec too, the WavPack decoder in the Essentials Pack supports all 5.5x features as well.

As for other lossless codecs, you have to live with limitations. The 3rd party APE decoder has some glitches with 5.5x, I guess it never was updated to support all of the newer Winamp APIs.

ALAC is yet another proprietary codec and I for my taste, I try to use as less proprietary stuff as possible.

So if you want to store lossless files on your system, you probably should use FLAC or WavPack.

Just my 2 Cent.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 17:51   #30
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Koopa - am I right in assuming ALAC is the Apple Lossless as supported by iTunes?
Old 8th November 2010, 18:14   #31
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Koopa - am I right in assuming ALAC is the Apple Lossless as supported by iTunes?
Yes, you're

ALAC = Apple Lossless Audio Codec

And I fail to see any advantage in the format. Who puts lossless, large files on a portable, when space is limited and you hardly hear any difference to good quality lossy files?

Saving FLAC or WavPack on your PC and convert it to MP3 or whatever your portable supports is fine.

There is no valid reason for alac, especially if you see, that only iTunes officially is allowed to play these files. Die proprietary shit die.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 19:42   #32
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

A gentle conversation/potential rant about the pros and cons of Apple and Google got split and headed that away ====> before we took this topic OT

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?p=2715691

Join us for a rant over there if ya want.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:18   #33
Jamil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
ALAC is yet another proprietary codec and I for my taste, I try to use as less proprietary stuff as possible.

So if you want to store lossless files on your system, you probably should use FLAC or WavPack.
No thanks.

FLAC or WavPack = no support from the one media player I have found that implemented a feature that others have either been unable or unwilling to implement. We're talking about a feature that many people have been requesting for years.

Apple Lossless wins for that reason alone. Innovation.

By the way, the only outstanding question in this thread is the licensing question...
Old 9th November 2010, 11:58   #34
DrO

this is not definite but the general rule seems to be for one or two machines that _you_ own and use then it's ok to re-use the key as it's assigned to you and not a specific machine from what i remember. however if more than that / corporate scenarios then it really needs to be done one per machine (not sure if there's group discounts offered or something else in that scenario but i doubt if Winamp is more for the home user). however that is not definite and if i'm wrong then i take no blame

as for the alac / flac / wavpack / other format - as long as what each individual needs is met by the format used then it doesn't matter though obviously it's good to know the plus and minus points of a format (especially if there's potential for drm lock-down - something to bear in mind if sharing media on a local network).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 13:29   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO, what does the pro key have to do with wanting to setup the DB to be central, and the apps to be simultaneous clients of it?

Jamil, itunes can be relatively easily made to work with FLAC. in general, i believe that one should pick file format based on the merits of the file format, and not if a given app supports it. (and in the realm of lossless codecs, FLAC is hardly esoteric)

--
Old 9th November 2010, 13:56   #36
DrO

Quote:
My Winamp registration key is currently entered on my desktop computer, but I also have a laptop that also connects to my NAS. Every company's licensing works differently, so I want to check how Winamp's licensing works. .... Anyway, do I need to purchase a second Winamp license for my laptop, or am I able to use the same registration key that is used on my dekstop?
it has nothing to do with it - i was trying to answer the question which was asked about using the same pro license key on different machines owned by the same user (quoted above from the first post).

and as an addition, if you're not using the pro features then you don't need to worry about setting the license for the additional install (though i guess if using the Bento based skins then it's nice as it removes the 'go pro' menu item).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 13:06   #37
Jamil

Thank you for the information.

After giving this some thought, I decided to keep my audio in APE format and also keep an additional copy of all files in Apple Lossless M4A format. Apple Lossless has a very good compression ratio that is close to APE set to insane compression. Additionally, TwonkyMedia Server supports M4A, so I would still have lossless streaming on my home network.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support