Old 13th July 2012, 02:16   #1
masterdeca@hotm

adware

Hi,
can i know why on the last version of winamp, the file contains the adware open candy?
I love this software but i no want to donwload adwares like other kind of companies do with their software..i believe the nullsoft is a serious company...
masterdeca@hotm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 02:26   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

this is definitely a false positive

no version of winamp has adware (provided that you downloaded it from winamp.com)

if you downloaded from elsewhere with adware please let us know.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 04:10   #3
masterdeca@hotm

believe me is not a false positive, i download 3 times the file and all time the norton give me the adware, i check the files and guess? The adware is there....
Old 13th July 2012, 04:12   #4
masterdeca@hotm

ah and i forget...i download the file from this site, i have the habit to download a software from official site...
Old 13th July 2012, 06:54   #5
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

this is in the agreement you clicked yes to when installing winamp and its only active in the installer

Quote:
OpenCandy End User License Agreement
January 26, 2010
This OpenCandy software installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software you may find valuable during installation of this software. By proceeding, you agree that OpenCandy may collect and use *NON personally identifiable* information about THIS installation (like: install initiated and completed, operating system and language, and country) as well as whether the software recommendation was accepted or not. Collection of such information by OpenCandy will ONLY occur during this installation and the recommendation process in accordance with OpenCandy's Privacy Policy available at www.opencandy.com/privacy-policy. Your use of OpenCandy and other third party software offers made available via OpenCandy is subject to the OpenCandy terms and conditions and privacy policy and the terms and conditions of the third party software. Should you not want OpenCandy to collect non-personally identifiable information about you, do not download the OpenCandy software.
and its not adware, so norton is wrong.
http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/adware-faqs/
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 08:30   #6
DrO

it seems like Norton have taken on the somewhat incorrect change in classification which Windows Security Essentials applied to OpenCandy (and in-turn the Winamp installer) a few days ago.

OpenCandy has been in the Winamp installer for a good few years now and this is sadly not the first time the Winamp installer has been flagged up as adware due to it. the only time it being in the installer is an actual issue to your system is if you do not uncheck the suggested software when installing Winamp.

though anyone sensible would read and observe what the installer shows and says instead of just blindy clicking next - it is not ideal to have that in there but a lot of other software has included it since it makes them money (and unfortunately as a free software, someone has to somehow pay the bills).

i am sure that will not placate your issues but that is about as much detail i can go into for things.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 14:32   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

It is optional. Like with most "free" product installers out there. Even common things like Java and Acrobat Reader have junk like Chrome or Ask Toolbars added in for those people who click Next without reading the dialogs.

It makes a few pennies for Nullsoft, but is very easy to avoid.

The lesson - read the dialogs. And always skip the optional "offers".

(And Norton has been in the "Senile" selection of "Security" products for many years now... Time to swap to something decent like NOD32)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support