Old 28th February 2002, 15:12   #1
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Enqueue and Multiple Instances of winamp

Hi all,

First off, I have looked for this bug but cannot find it in the search.

Here is the bug. When you have multiple instances of winamp turned 'ON' and then you enqueue a track that does NOT have a normal extension (eg mp3) like .temp (that audio galaxy creates with incomplete downloads) it open in a new winamp not the same one.

Does that make sense? I have assigned .temp to play in winamp and when in explorer or my computer, right click on the *.mp3.temp file and you get 'enqueue in winamp' in the menu. Select this and it opens a whole new Winamp rather then enqueuing in the same one.

This is a good bug because it happens every time I do it.

Winamp version: 2.78c (latest)

Hopefully that is enough info for you. If not please or want me to try something then reply back to this.

/edit BTW I have installed the latest patch and the problem still occurs.
More info forgot before it also plays whatever is in the newly opened window was next in the current playlist.
If 2 winamps are actually open it pays in the other one.

It also does it for directories. Even in the Winamp 'Open File' window. It opens a new session of winamp.

Normal .mp3 work fine as you would expect.
/endedit

Cheers,

Rovastar

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com

Last edited by Rovastar; 28th February 2002 at 15:37.
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 20:17   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You say you've manually associated .TEMP files with Winamp?
If so, what method did you use?
And are you sure you've done it correctly?

I'll spare you the details until after you reply.

Hmm . . . then again, I always assumed this was the normal behaviour when "allow multiple instances" was enabled ?!?!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 20:23   #3
peter
ist death

grrreat, now we have a mod whiner. moving where it belongs.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2002, 20:59   #4
Rovastar

Peter,

Chill Peter! Why so antagonistic? I am not whining. I am reporting a bug. Did you read the post or not?

Why move it? It is a bug with Winamp I thought, it is not doing what it is suppose to do? Are you saying it is not a bug? Surely this is not tech support?

DJ Egg,

When you click on a unrecognised file type Windows XP prompts you to associate that extension with a file. I select Winamp.

Anyway the directories go wrong as well?

Can anyone recreate this? It will only take a couple of seconds to try.

When you select 'Enqueue' on a mp3 it 'adds' it to the play list. That is what enqueue does. I am wrong?

But when you 'enqueue' a directory or other file type that is associated with winamp it ‘enqueue’s to another winamp session and straight away plays that other session also.

Enqueue surely should actually queue up the file not play it in another window. Or I am getting this wrong?

It work fine with mp3 extension it is just directories and the like.

Does this explain?

Rovastar

Last edited by Rovastar; 28th February 2002 at 21:22.
Old 28th February 2002, 21:51   #5
peter
ist death

that's *not* a bug in Winamp; your files aren't associated correctly. go to in_mp3 config, add "mp3.temp" to associated extensions, then use Winamp's file association control.
Old 28th February 2002, 22:42   #6
Rovastar

Peter,

Ok then that explains a bit more but obviously windows 'thinks' it is linked to that file type as the term enqueue in that drop down list is a logical error.

I may not have connected in the 'correct' way but windows created these right click options as it is prompted by winamp.

If you have multiple instance 'OFF' with these 'unofficial' type you can still enqueue correctly. How do you explain that?

Therefore there is an error with the functionality when you use the multiple instance option.

Do you agree on that?

This to me is still a type of bug. It may be a bug with windows but it is a still a bug.

Winamp is meant to be as user friendly as possible surely and the information upon right click is still incorrect i.e. Enqueue in Winamp. It does not enqueue in winamp. It is a logical error.

It should say "Enqueue in Winamp if multiple instances are not selected"

I am not trying to be purposely argumentative and I am sorry if I sound that way.

And finally a question:

How than do I make all directories correctly associated with winamp as this goes 'wrong' too?

If you cannot associate then is this a bug? I think it is. Do you want me to repost this associated issue again in the bug forum?

John

Old 28th February 2002, 23:26   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If files are properly associated with Winamp, then they will all be dealt with accordingly and in exactly the same way.
Peter has explained how to achieve this, although I would've just typed .TEMP in the in_mp3.dll config, then selected .TEMP in Prefs -> Filetypes.

As for folders/dir's . . . you can't change the default association from Explorer.exe because Micro$haft doesn't allow it. All you can do is checkmark "Dir Context Menus" in Prefs -> Filetypes.

You can edit the registry, or check to make sure it's set up correctly:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Winamp.Enqueue\command
Default = "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE" /ADD "%1"

Though the best way to add a dir in the same instance of Winamp is by using the Add -> Dir button in the playlist. This will avoid any interference from strange Win2k/XP bugs.
Old 28th February 2002, 23:57   #8
Rovastar

DJ Egg,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what Peter wrote about the associations now. I admit didn't understand correctly before for the associating issue.

I feel I have been misunderstood about this. I am not really that bothered with it as I don't use the multiple instances that often.
But I found what I believe is a bug and again am trying to help.

OK new example

If I am running winamp with multiple instances 'ON' and in my computer/explorer I right click on a playlist and then enqueue in winamp and it goes 'wrong' and opens a new instance and plays two lots of music.

This is from a 'default' and 'vanilla' winamp install. Why does this not work?

I understand the association thing but when I install winamp I expect that the associations are created for me. And it does this to a degree with as it has a winamp icon in windows. But inside winamp it is not associated correctly.

I have done nothing wrong. This is a logical error with the code/ semantics of winamp. Is it not?

I know I have deviated from the initial issue but it is all related and the title of the post is still relevant.

So maybe more file types have to be included by default in the winamp installation for in_mp3 to have the correct information in it or maybe the multiple instances code needs to be looked at again.

Or am I wrong?

In a test environment having the 'default' and 'vanilla' setup (a fresh install) is the first thing to test and this in my mind does not work as it should.

I am interested in your (or anyones) thoughts on this.

Rovastar

Old 1st March 2002, 05:12   #9
peter
ist death

enabling "allow multiple instances" bypasses multiinstance checks, causing every winamp.exe launch to create new Winamp instance. this is the theory. since adding any file from explorer runs Winamp.exe, that's what you get. not exactly a bug; what else do you expect if you enable "allow multiple instances" ?
looks like enqueue isn't exactly compatible with "allow multiple instances" option (but from the other side - if there's more than one Winamp instance, how the hell do we know which one to enqueue in ?).

ps. i think that my old good gen_dde hack with its explorer associations should shut that up, use it carefully (i've seen it doing stupid things on my main box after recent win2k reinstall, not sure why).
Old 1st March 2002, 10:37   #10
Rovastar

I feel I have not explained myself properly.

I understand how both multi inst and enqueue work.

----------------
Case 1:

Multi: On
1 Winamp window open
Action: Enqueue mp3 file (or other file in in_mp3.dll)

What happens: The file is enqueued in that same window. It enqueues to an active Winamp window.

What I think: That is what I expect.
------------
Case 2:

Multi: On
1 Winamp window open
Action: Enqueue playlist file

What happens: Another winamp window opens and plays in that window also. Therefore you have 2 windows open playing stuff.

What I think: This is not what I expect. Enqueue should not play. It defeats the purpose of enqueueing. And this is why I think this is a bug.
---------------

I hope that explains a bit more. Is this behaviour only on XP?

BTW if I 'play in Winamp' mp3 and/or playlist, etc it plays in the same window.

Last edited by Rovastar; 1st March 2002 at 11:15.
Old 1st March 2002, 11:14   #11
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

????....i still don't get it

enqueue doesn't open up a new winamp for me?....and im running XP too
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2002, 11:36   #12
Rovastar

This is more confusing now?!?!?

Peter says:

Enabling "allow multiple instances" bypasses multi instance checks, causing every winamp.exe launch to create new Winamp instance. this is the theory. since adding any file from explorer runs Winamp.exe, that's what you get. not exactly a bug; what else do you expect if you enable "allow multiple instances" ?

Implying that Multi inst should 'always' get a new session.

You rocker say:

Enquire doesn't open up a new winamp for me?....and im running XP too

Implying that it never happens? So you can enquire directories, etc in winamp with multi inst 'ON'

I have re-installed winamp and I get behaviour described below every time without fail. I have never changed the stuff in the in_mp3.dll config.

Stranger and stranger........

Old 1st March 2002, 11:51   #13
Rocker

PM...sent to Rove
Old 1st March 2002, 11:54   #14
peter
ist death

ok, time to settle all this crap down.
/me runs winamp2
with multiple instances enabled, i get new Winamp instance whenever i open/enqueue ANY correctly associated file (also mp3).
"case 1" *never* happens on my box.
only funny behavior i've noticed is that the newly created Winamp instance loads winamp.m3u and then adds the new file to playlist (which might look somewhat evil).
this implies that you must have broken something up somewhere else; either broken registry associations or some evil thirdparty plugins.
blah.
ps. ah yeah, just tried it, gen_dde shuts extra instances up perfectly, everything gets enqueued to the current instance even if multiple instances are enabled.
Old 1st March 2002, 12:26   #15
Rovastar

Peter,

ROcker has got the problem too on one of his machines. He will post details.

/edit

Case 1 is what should happen, logically - enqueue in current winamp window surely. Does it enqueue and play???? like my case 2. That is wrong if it plays, enqueue should not play. What about dirs

Old 1st March 2002, 12:40   #16
peter
ist death

yeah, everything is wrong. that's what i call "whining".
1. uninstall winamp.
2. delete winamp directory.
3. run regedit, delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist
4. install Winamp back
5. see if you still get that prob

case 2 is what logically should happen; if you get something else, it might be some sort of winxp weirdness (i run win2k).\

@Winamprocker: why did you just quit IRC ?
Old 1st March 2002, 12:48   #17
Rocker

after a chat with Rovastar.....

and a bit of thinking

I can reproduce the problem....(on win2k and XP)

it only happenes with enqueue'ing files with multiple entries to the playlist (not with singular files)...

e.g

enqueue'ing Folders have the prob

enqueue'ing m3u's have the problem but are fixed with peter's dde plugin(maybe something like this should be included in the winamp installation?)

not .mp3's .ogg's etc

its only really a minor annoyance.....(to me because i use peter's dde plug-in)

this is really a windows bug when it comes to the folders......

rovastar...download peter's dde plug-in....it'll fix your m3u's not enqueue'ing correctly....but not the folders
Old 1st March 2002, 12:52   #18
peter
ist death

still can't reproduce, i get a new instance all time. what do you mean "enqueue'ing Folders have the prob" ? does it add them to current instance or create new one ?
Old 1st March 2002, 12:53   #19
Rovastar

Peter I will go away now and do all you asked.

But to in my case 2 is logically still 'wrong'. Case 1 should happen.

Enqueue should NOT play! It should queue up. Maybe your config/machine is wrong?

Rocker,

I agree that if the dde plugin is all fine it should be included in the next release as Winamp it is not functioning as designed from a fresh install.

Old 1st March 2002, 12:58   #20
peter
ist death

case 2 is correct, that's what "allow multiple instances" is for. if you don't like it, disable the fucking option or use gen_dde. geez. a mod flame war.
case 1 should never happen with multiple instances enabled and i'm now trying to find why it happens at all (because i can't reproduce it here).
Old 1st March 2002, 13:26   #21
peter
ist death

looks like you both have been messing with folder options / file types, i'm trying to get my box to do the same.
Old 1st March 2002, 13:28   #22
Rovastar

Peter did as you asked.

BTW when uninstalling winamp from XP using CP it removes the reg entries.

and BTW again I have winamp3 beta 3 installed but hopefully that should not effect this.

I am getting the same problem. It may be an XP issue but withmore peopel getting XP this is more of an issue.

====
What should happen when Multi instant is 'ON' and select a file to enqueue?
=====

I would have thought it enques it in the same winamp window.

Under XP 'fresh' install (1 window open) this is what happens:

With an mp3 file it enqueus it to the 'SAME' window and does not play.

With a playlist file and/or directories it opens a new window with what is curently in the old winamp windows playlist and adds to that list.

Before pic: www.milkdrop.co.uk/before.jpg
During (what I am doing) pic: www.milkdrop.co.uk/during.jpg
After: www.milkdrop.co.uk/after.jpg

It opens and plays that is my problem it does not enqueue. It adds to the end of the new window and plays from the current track on the old windows. Look it is playing llama if you can see.

If I selecet 'play in winamp' it opens a new window with that playlist in and it is all fine.

With just a .mp3 it queues it up in the current window and does not
play. The same behavour as with multi inst = 'OFF'.

One of the cases is wrong. I do not know what it does on other OS but rocker has the same problem on 2000.

Hopefully this explains more.

Maybe microsoft are being pains and wanting to prompt the media player and put wianmp out of business but this does not make sense to me.

Rovastar

Rovastar

Old 1st March 2002, 13:47   #23
Rovastar

Peter,

Mod flame war? I've not even started yet mate.
I have already converted rocker to my side....

When you enqueue should it play the current track from the other window? Are you saying yes. It should maybe enqueue to a new window but not play. When you enqueue directories does it play stuff?

What is anyone elses view on this?

ANd I have not changed any file options I only added the .temp to link to winamp.

Not tried the dde thing. BUt according to you roiker that makes it 'more' like case 1 which I think is correct but it functions more 'wrong' for Peter.

Ummm

Old 1st March 2002, 14:01   #24
peter
ist death

winamp3 installed ? Winamprocker was messing with associating files with wa3 (while i've never touched that). i'll try to reproduce it here later (busy doing something else now).
Old 1st March 2002, 14:59   #25
Rovastar

FYI I have uninstalled WA3 still the same.

I know rocker messes around with stuff to do with WA3 but I don't.

It is a strange one.

Old 1st March 2002, 23:34   #26
Rovastar

What no solution?

A drunk Rovastar

Old 2nd March 2002, 00:04   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Just to let ya know, with Multiple Instances enabled and one instance of Winamp already open, every time I enqueue a new file (be it MP3, M3U, PLS, MID, MOD, WAV, etc, one file or 50 files, a folder/subfolder, anything) it always opens in a new instance of Winamp, adds the new files to the end of the playlist, and starts automatically playing whatever was the first track in the playlist from before.
This is with WA2.78 on Win95c/98SE/ME.
As far as I can remember, it's always been this way.
That's what multiple instances is supposed to do.
I haven't tried checking "enqueue as default action" . . . can't be arsed.

Then again, if ever I want a new instance of Winamp, I'll use Ctrl+Alt+N and use the Winamp interface to create a new playlist / add files / etc. Why bother using st00pid Explorer interface anyway? It kinda defeats the purpose of having all those wonderful functions in the Winamp playlist editor.
Old 2nd March 2002, 00:14   #28
Rovastar

First off, sorry Egg I have been in the pub (you're in UK so you know what I mean)

Does it also play the file when you enqueue?

I suspect that it is MS messing around with and trying to belittle WA. That is with Xp at least.

Another should enqueue do offically in multiple inst?!!?

In Xp as I have said (and expect to a degree) it opens a new window and PLAYS grrh.

Egg mate I will be in AVS chat rather than this if you fancy a pissed up chat about it.

Rova

Old 2nd March 2002, 02:56   #29
Rocker

Quote:
Originally posted by peter
winamp3 installed ? Winamprocker was messing with associating files with wa3 (while i've never touched that). i'll try to reproduce it here later (busy doing something else now).
i can reproduce on a fresh install of windows 2000...with winamp 2.78 and peter's wa2update(nothing else changed)
Old 2nd March 2002, 11:34   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Reproduce what?
It's meant to do that . . . isn't it?
Old 2nd March 2002, 11:49   #31
Rocker

i don't think so.....

*.mp3..or other singular files enqueue in the same instance...(every time)

*.m3u's and folders enqueue in a new instance....(every time)

peter's dde plug-in fixes the enqueue'ing of m3u's(so they load in the same instance every time)

shouldn't m3u's, mp3's and folder's all enqueue the same way?

this is confusing me

you might not be able to reproduce this...but Rove and I can

this problem isn't an annoyance to me...i'm just pointing it out
Old 2nd March 2002, 12:22   #32
Rovastar

Egg you said:

It's meant to do that . . . isn't it?

Who knows? I am getting confused now about what we are looking for? And sober now! but I do think that enqueue should not play. To me that makes no sense? It is illogical captain.

But if that what WA does it is what WA does. But it what it is doing right. Just because it has always done it doesn't necessarily mean it is right.

All example are multi playlists on.

On Xp ‘Enqueue’ MP3's (enqueing anything in the in_mp3.dll) enqueues it to the same window. Does not play etc.

To me that makes sense or maybe? better still enqueue it to a new winamp window and do not play.

If I select ‘enqueue’ playlist and/or directories, etc it open a new window and plays.

If I select 'play' for mp3's it plays in the same window. Wrong? Should it open in new window and play it I suppose.

If I select 'play' for playlists. It opens a new window and plays. Correct.

It at the very least not consistant under XP/2000?

Egg you said:
Why bother using st00pid Explorer interface anyway? It kinda defeats the purpose of having all those wonderful functions in the Winamp playlist editor.

Why then have the option to enqueue at all? I must say I never use the buttons in the playlist editor that is prob just me I always go Open File button on the main player bit.

It is just a habit. I think in the early days of me using WA I didn’t actually even know that there were buttons in the I think some skins I cannot tell properly what all the buttons are in the playlist editor.

Anyway I don't know any answers I just make many problems.

Rovastar

PS Is Enqueue a 'real' word?

/edit lol it take me ages to write that and rocker posted in the mean time.

Old 2nd March 2002, 12:26   #33
Rovastar

Quote:
Originally posted by Winamprocker

this problem isn't an annoyance to me...i'm just pointing it out
Ditto that Rocker.

Old 2nd March 2002, 13:13   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Very strange....

Like I said, with me, when Multiple Instances is enabled and one instance of Winamp is already open, when I enqueue even a single MP3 via the Explorer interface, it always opens a new instance of Winamp, adds the MP3 to the end of the current playlist, and automatically starts playing the first track in the list. This is whether I add 1 file or 50, of any format, also if I enqueue a M3U/PLS or a dir. It's always worked like this for me in Win9x/ME . . . haven't got a clue about Win2k/XP . . . I might consider getting XP after the 3rd or 4th Service Pack

As far as I know, that's what Multiple Instances is all about.
Every file you open or add should open in a new instance of Winamp, not the same one. If you want it to add to the current instance, uncheck "allow multiple instances" or use the Playlist -> Add button.

So, to me, it suggests that there's something wrong with your Winamp Media File association in Windows (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Winamp.File). Either that or you've unearthed yet another wonderful WinXP-specific bug.

btw, Winamp Media File (MP3, WAV, MID, MOD, OGG, WMA, etc); Winamp Playlist File (PLS, M3U : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Winamp.Playlist) and Explorer folders (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Directory) are naturally all 3 separate registry entries. So if you want all 3 to work in the same way, then I suggest you look at the ..../shell/Enqueue/command subkeys for all 3 entries, as well as the EditFlags values for all 3 keys (and any clsid subkeys, if they exist). Maybe something's got screwed up somewhere?
Old 22nd July 2005, 12:02   #35
missscars

hm, i must say i didn't understand much of what you folks discussed in this thread. i have the same multiple instances problem. but the difference is that "allow multiple instances" wasn't checked, and this happens not only when i try to enqueue something, but sometimes also when i choose "play in winamp". very annoying because this also slows my pc alot. any help?
missscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 12:20   #36
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Alas, you've revived a 3½ year old thread, which related to an old version of Winamp (2.7x). Things have changed quite a lot since then :/
Old 22nd July 2005, 15:24   #37
Rovastar

LOL that was a long time ago.

Old 26th July 2005, 19:25   #38
missscars

hahaaaaa. sorry, had no idea, i was searching through the forums and didn't look at the date. but you know, i still have the problem, with the latest version of winamp...
missscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support